Tigers love pepper...

Reba XX - clydeworthy?

Getting a 2011 Reba XX for my XC rig. It's 9mm QR which I know isn't ideal but my rigid fork was QR and I never felt like I had issues although it was carbon.

Thoughts?

I'm 245 right now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Can't comment on the QR cause I have XX in the maxle version. I'm over 300 though and it feels great. I'm running about 190 psi with no problems yet.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    as always I want to note that the PSI you have to run for proper sag will change significantly depending on the travel of the fork... on my 29er fork at80mm I had to run nearly 300psi for proper sag but at 100mm it was MUCH less

so higher volume (longer travel) is going to be good for us big guys lol

sorry beyond that no help, only suspension fork I've ever run was the '08 tora 318 soloair 29er fork... going to be trying out a 4.7" wide 26er tire (pugsely style on front) on my 29er here soon and see how that goes for trail compliance ;-)
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    I am setting up a Rock Shox reba Team 29er dual air. Any idea what psi to run in the shock? Do I pressure match both sides? Weight is about 260-270 depending upon stuff I am carrying.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    pretty sure it has a little chart on the side... but mine was a solo-air model (one air chamber so no neg air to pump in)

i'd look in the suspension forum for some info on setting up the fork i'm sure there is good info to be had with a little digging
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Start out with running the same pressure in the pos/neg chambers. Run whatever air pressure gives you 20% sag. Start with rebound in the middle. Ride it and adjust up or down and see if it feels better or worse, rinse and repeat until you reach maximum enjoyment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413 View Post
    Start out with running the same pressure in the pos/neg chambers. Run whatever air pressure gives you 20% sag. Start with rebound in the middle. Ride it and adjust up or down and see if it feels better or worse, rinse and repeat until you reach maximum enjoyment.
    How do I measure sag to see if I have the 20%? I am abit new on this stuff. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Look at the SRAM document I linked, it walks you through it pretty well. Also at the end they explain how changing the pos/neg pressure relative to each other affect the ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I just saw the pdf, appreciate it.

I'm Slow
    I'm 270 and I'm running Reba 29er XX @ 120mm with 150psi. Fork runs great and it really nice and stiff.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    also something to remember... some people prefer a stiffer spring rate (higher psi) others like it a bit more plush (lower rate)...

also you saddle position and bar position will change sag... shorter stem will put less weight over the front wheel and in turn you'll need (slightly) less PSI

its one of those things that takes a little playing with to get just right.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Many have found this thread, and Petercarn's analysis in particular, to be helpful. Help dialing Reba

Bottomline: forget the RS sag, and go with a higher neg psi than positive, but see the details for how to set up. Worked for me (225 lb riding wt), and now using +140/ -150.