mtbr member
    Jan 2006

reasonably priced clydesbike?

hey fellow Clydes

I'm looking for a bike/frame to replace my 2001 Brodie spark hardtail. I've been running that bike for 2 1/2 years and it has served me well. The bike is a 19in, and it's just a bit to small for me. I'd like to replace it with a 20 or 21 inch full suspension with disk brakes.

I've never had a "full susser" or disks so this will be quite a step up for me. However I'm on a limited budget and would like to get a frame that's strong but relatively cheap. I do aggressive trail riding with some jumps but like to be able to pedal uphill as well and do occasional xc riding.
    Any suggestions? I'm 6'4 and 210lbs. I've got a line on a 2003 Kona Coiler, has anyone tried that bike?

thanks,
    halldor
    If it don't work, chrome it

Recovering Weight Weenie
    The Coiler is a bruiser. Good fit if it fits you.

Former Bike Wrench
    Coiler is a good choice...but the first year is 2004. A 2003 Stinky would be very similar to a 2004 Coiler though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

2004 coiler

Yeah my bad.
    It's a 2004 coiler, any other suggestions on bikes?

mtbr member
    Jamis Dakar XLT.

Im 6'4" and 240 lb. No problems with mine after a few years of trail riding

Former Bike Wrench
    Yep, I'm rolling on a 2005 XLT and its a good bike. Its less stout than the Coiler, but it also comes stock at about 33lbs versus the Coiler that runs about 37lbs stock.

You don't mention your price range but since your looking used, I'll assume your looking for a bargain. Some other stout AM bikes you might find used include Norco Six, Trek Liquid, Iron Horse Warrior (which can be had new pretty cheap).

I'm 6' and 225lbs for comparison.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You forgot to menrtion Santa cruz!!

For your weight Bullit or heckler. I've been running my bullit with a dual crown(for a while) and just got a Marz 66 for everything from Single track and DH days. I run 2 different wheelsets (xc/dh) to help lighten the load on the trails and a beefier /heavy tires for dh. I'm around 300lbs and it takes a beating.

For you a heckler would be good more of a better trails less dh type....

Look under craiglist and you get get a fully built up older bullit for under $1500.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

choices so far

thanks for the replies, definitely some helpful hints there.
    My price range is around the 1500 dollar mark, but I'd also be willing to buy a frame, and slowly acquire parts for it.
    so what we got so far is:
    Santa Cruz Heckler/Bullit
    Kona Coiler
    Norco Six
    Trik Liquid
    Iron Horse Warrior

My brother (5'9 215) has a 2005 Jamis Dakar, and he broke the rear triangle on the main pivot. Another friend of mine has the 2006 version and he broke his frame where the shock mounts on the top tube. We don't even ride that aggressively, max 4ft drops.
    So Jamis is out of the question for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    The other great frame I know about is the rocky mountain switch. A buddy is pretty much same weight and 6'2" and rides it's the same way I do. Great all purpose do it all bike. Look for 2005 or newer. I believe the pre 04's where only 5" in the rear and a different triangle. 05 and 06 are 6" and I think end of 06 and 07 they redid the triangle again (even beefier)

mtbr member
    I second the XLT. I love mine. 6'2" 230