LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!

Rear tire suggestions

Hey all. I'm looking for some suggestions on rear tires.
    I'm 6'5" @ 220 and the WTB Rajin that i put on about a month ago is almost toast. I mostly ride trails but occasionally I need to ride on the street to get to the trail or back to the car. The WTB is great offroad but the asphalt just shreds it. The terrain around here is mainly hardpack but there are rocky technical sections and loose switchbacks. So my fellow clydes and tall riders has anyone found a good MTB tire that works well and lasts for more than a month?
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

mtbr member
    Nevegal is my favorite tire. Although, lately I've been trying an Ardent up front with a CrossMark in the rear, and it does really well. You really need to hit the PSI right because a little too much air and it doesn't grip very well, but once you get it right it's a great all rounder. I also really like the Ardent in the back with a Nevegal up front. That handles rocks and roots very well.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm using a 2.25 Schwalbe Albert Snake Skin, which is though, but they also do a 2.1 size which might work..

turtles make me hot
    +1 for the Ardent.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I'll note that I'm using the 2.25" Ardent and a 2.1" 70a CrossMark. The eXCeption compound CrossMark is lighter, but will wear faster.

What tire are you running up front?

Mojo MadDuc

Maxxis Igniters

I am 6'2 and 250, I have been using UST Maxxis Igniter for the rear. It rolls pretty well, the sidewalls are great in the rocks and cheese graters we have in Austin as well as on the hardpack. I won't hesitate to buy another Igniter when this one give it up. Great buy!

MadDuc916

29 some of the time...
    Lots of tire recommendations over on the wheel and tire forum.

The most recent WTB tires seem to all be in a softer and faster wearing compound. It gives them better grip, but they wear out fast. If you are interested in sticking with WTB then I would recommend one of their other tires. The Mutano and Nano Raptor tires are both good on/off road tires that have longer wearing treads.

The crossmark and ignitor are very similar. I have a hard time telling that the crossmark rolls any faster, so I would likely run an ignitor before purchasing another crossmark. The ardent is also right in the mix. It has lower tread height than the other 2 mentioned, but still has good climbing traction. It would be my go-to maxxis tire these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Up front I'm running a WTB Mutano Raptor which I really like. It corners really well on the loose stuff and there's plenty of that around here. An now I'm off to CBO
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

Former Bike Wrench
    The longest wearing compound tires I've owned over the years have been Panaracer. The Fire or Rampage are great all around tires that are also durable.

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Im 240 and ride lots of rocks. So far I have been lovin a combo of 2.4" Kenda Telonix dtc front(modified) and a 2.35" Kenda Excavator dtc rear.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders