i suck at riding
    May 2006

Rear Shock Springs - Where to get heavier springrates?

Hey, i'm about 220lb on a medium superV

i replaced the swingarm andgot a fox vanilla RC shock with an 800lbx1.55 stroke. When i was trying to get it all set up, i noticed that the sag was way too much, it should be about .3" but this was nearly.75" it bobs a lot and i cannot climb very well.

Does anyone know where i can get replacement springs?

i should have got the damn 900lb version when ordering the shock (which was on clearence)

i suck at riding
    May 2006
    for those who are searching, i contacted my LBS (providencebicycle) and ordered a new spring from FOX for 30 bux.

not bad!

Fat, but working on it...
    Call Fox:
    1-800-369-7469

Tell them your weight, the type of shock, and type of bike, and they'll send you the right spring.

i suck at riding
    May 2006
    they dont have anything on the superV's too old

i couldnt even get shock bushings from them unless i measured everything out and used a parts sheet to best match...

i ran to the local machine shop and a guy made them up for 10 bux.

fox said it would cost 22 dollars after shipping

in any case, as cheap as they are, i'm hoping the 900 would be suitable, otherwise it will be better than what i currently regardless.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Being a svelte 275lbs, I had the # 900 on my Fox Vanilla since it was new. It was OK, but still sagged too much and bobbed too.

Best thing I ever did for my Super V was to get a Manitou Swinger 4-Way Air. I can set the sag at 25% to 30% and get little to no bobbing and a great ride to boot. Air shocks have come quite a ways. This one is is set with less sag and is still plusher than my old coil dreamed of being. I have to keep the air springs at or near max pressure, but in over two years of use, I have had no issues.

Regards,
    Jeff

i suck at riding
    May 2006
    yea i just got the vanilla rc so i could successfuly upgrade the swingarm from the old active 80 to the SL trim. I would like to purchase an airshock sometime but recently moved so a replacement shock will likely end up on my xmas list

i wasnt really sure honestly which springrate to get. i know 800# bobs too much, but i dont know what to expect from 900#. would it be ~that~ beneficial, or should i have gone with higher rates... all the springrate calculators i found on the net are for downhill bikes. and fox wasntmuch help as the superv is too outdated. also if mixing and matching springs to chambers willmess up the valving for dampening and rebound. i guess this truely is only a temp solution.

mtbr member

Something you can try

I don't know how big of a hurry you are in but there is a place called Pohl Spring Works here in Spokane (509) 535-3648 that has in the past made springs for some of my friends bikes. I believe they will need an old spring from you to use as an example to make sure the new one fits or at least a good set of measurements from you. A number of the guys there also ride and they make springs for dowhill racers here. You might give them a try if you're not having any luck.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If you have to put a lot of preload on the #800 to get the sag right, then maybe the #900 would be better for you. BTW, Manitou custom made the bushings for my Super V.

Something else you might want to check out is that some people have been putting late model Jekyll swingarms on Super V frames with (I think) 7.25 x 2 5th Air shocks and long travel forks. They claim they are getting a great handling 6" all mountain type rig.

Check out the Cannondale forum for more details.

i suck at riding
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    If you have to put a lot of preload on the #800 to get the sag right, then maybe the #900 would be better for you. BTW, Manitou custom made the bushings for my Super V.

Something else you might want to check out is that some people have been putting late model Jekyll swingarms on Super V frames with (I think) 7.25 x 2 5th Air shocks and long travel forks. They claim they are getting a great handling 6" all mountain type rig.

Check out the Cannondale forum for more details.
    yea i have an early model jekyll arm on there now (bonded arm of doom) but until i can get a caad4 rear triangle, i will hold off on the uberV conversion (redrilling shock mount tabs for longer shock accomodation.

i am using a 900# spring now (just got it fromt he bike shop on order from FOX). Its much better than it was, a little bit of bobbing but not nearly as much as before, much easier to tune out with compression/rebound adjustments.

i just replaced the bottom bracket but hear a creaking from time to time, i just dont know where its coming from. i'm hoping my frame isnt cracked (i'm thinking its the pedal/spindles)