mtbr member

Rear shock spring rate for FR/DH bikes

Just curious what other big dudes are using on their gravity bikes. I weight about 275, I have a Rocky Mountain Flatline with a Marzzocchi Roco rear shock, equipped with a 500lb spring. I've found myself bashing my size-14 shoes into the ground on even medium-sized landings and would like to stiffen the rear up a bit. Looks like the stiffest spring available from Marz is a 550, and it doesn't seem like 10% would make a huge difference.

I've heard that the spring manufacturer doesn't matter as long as the shock stroke and eye-to-eye match up, any truth to this? Fox and some other companies seem to make stiffer springs than Marz. Any advice is much appreciated.

mtbr member
    How much sag are you running?

AKA. Molasses
    Aug 2006
    No gravity here, just trail type riding at most.
    At 285lbs. I use an 800lbs rated spring on my 7.5x2.0 Fox shock.
    JEB

mtbr member
    I went to Go-Ride (local shop specializing in gravity bikes) and they measured my sag level, and estimated I'd need a 600lb spring for my 3 x 9.5 in rear shock. Problem is, Marz doesn't make one as I mentioned above. They told me a Manitou spring should work, but weren't able to order one for me because all the distributors are sold out.

I've been doing more research from other online dealers and getting a lot of conflicting information. Some places say Manitou spring -> Marz shock won't work at all. And a few of my buddies still swear that Fox springs can work on a Marz shock, but the guys at the bike shop told me they had a different interior diameter so that wouldn't work. Not really sure what to do at this point. I might be stuck buying a completely new Fox rear shock, since they seem to actually make springs for big guys.

mtbr member
    It sounds like you need to find a buddy with a similar stroke Fox shock and borrow his spring and test fit it on your shock. If it doesn't work, I think a new (better yet used) Fox or Elka shock may be in your future.