Thread: Rear Shock

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Rear Shock

I have a FOX DHX 4.0 with a 500x2.35 spring. I weight about 278 naked. That spring feels very mushy I was wondering what size you all recommended for me. Also any recommendations on places to order from?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crbrocket
    I have a FOX DHX 4.0 with a 500x2.35 spring. I weight about 278 naked. That spring feels very mushy I was wondering what size you all recommended for me. Also any recommendations on places to order from?
    Not much info there. Sag , type of bike, bottoming out ??? Tuning a coil shock may require mulitiple spring purchases. http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...p?category=136

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sorry, the bike is a 2007 Kona Coiler, I'd like to measure the sag but I'm not sure of the how to do this on the rear shock. (I'm a total newb with full suspension bikes). I haven't felt it bottom out yet but I haven't hit anything higher than going off a curb with the bike yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    the easiest way to measure sag with a coil shock is to measure the distance between the shock mount bolts.

measure them when you're off the bike. measure them when you're sitting on the bike (better have someone else measure them, actually)

the difference = sag

what kind of riding are you doing on this bike? tuning a bike like this for freeride is one thing; tuning it for XC is.... another.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ok, so, since it was hard to measure sag by myself I caved in and went to my LBS. They didn't exactly know what I needed so they contacted FOX. After a few minutes, some measurements FOX recommended a 800X2.50 (I believe it's 2.50 not 2.35). So my LBS ordered it for me.

Hopefully it's going to be a little better.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Fox does not make an 800x2.5 spring. They make an 800x2.35. That is probably the one you are getting.

If you're going to ride this bike aggressively, it might be a good idea to get a backup shock with frame reducers so that when (not if) your first one goes in for service, you'll have a backup

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah you're right, not 2.5 Thanks for the advice, all order another one soon.