mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Rear shock for 290lb rider

Hello, I just purchased an 07' Yeti AS-X with a DHX 5.0 coil shock. When I bought it the bike shop told me there was a spring big enough for me. I talked to Fox today and they indicate they dont have a spring to fit. The AS-X has two travel settings, 6.4" and 7.1" Fox says if I used the 6.4" I would need a 750# and with the 7.1" an 850#. Fox said the highest they go is 700#. I asked Fox if I should go with the DHX 5.0 air shock and they said I would have the same problem, with the shock being rated at 300 psi and needing 310-330 psi.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks,

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Shop Marzocchi and Manitou springs also, they may fit the fox body (or get a zoke coil anyway). I've *seen* larger than 700# coils listed on places like universal cycles so the *are* out there.

For my old Fox Vanilla RC ('03 model) I have multiple springs, maxing out at 850#, FYI, but the coils are smaller inner-diameter than the new shock bodies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have had good luck with my Romic coil shock. It would suck to have to get a new shock straight off the top though. Have to messed around with the preload on the coil? I can go from real plush to almost locked out just by adjusting my preload on the my 600lb rated coil. I weigh in at about 260-270 then loaded out with mine and my wifes gear probably weigh in at close to 280- 290lbs so I am pretty close to you in size. Anyway just a thought.

mtbr member
    I don't know what the leverage ratio of your frame is, but my Ibex Atlas Pro with a 2.5:1 ratio came with a Manitou ISX-4 Evolver air shock and that thing can handle all of my 320 pounds geared up. I am running it at 220 psi so I am definitely no where near the 300 psi limit and haven't bottomed it out yet even in the least progressive setting and doing some pretty rough stuff. I don't know how well its going to hold up over time, but for the time being its doing a great job. I've been riding it for the past month or so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Take a look around Fox used to make larger shocks and all you need to do is make sure the inner diamter of the coil from another brand and it will work. I have a Progressive shock with a manitou coil becuase of the same reason as you.

Otherwise you can go with a custom coil. I know you can get a 800 or 850 if needed.

Look around here or google. i'm blanking on the custom spring maker.

Plus, Make your LBS do some work. They told you it would work, make them find something for you. Or tell them you will return it and buy a Santa cruz bullit that will work.

That's what i run at 320lbs with a 750 coil soon to be a 700!!

mtbr member
    800lbs is here in a 2.25" stroke - don't know what the yeti needs, but this fits my dhx 5 on my heckler.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?modelID=15606

these nukeproof oversize springs are made for the dhx 5.0

you should be right with the 800. Don't get an air shock you'll blow it to peices, at 265lbs I know...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I found a manitou 750# spring that I will try. Ive read a couple of different sites that say the manitou will fit a fox shox. It should be in on monday and ill post the result.

BIGME

950 spring

Not sure if this is any help or not, but I have a fox 2.21 x 950 spring on my stock vanilla that is mounted to my Kona Coiler. I am around 260 and it's not goint to bottom out. I am looking into going to a lighter setup. Just wanted you to know there are springs out there.

the 36 year old grom
    the 03 ASX had a 2.25 stroke shox... the newer ASX( like your 07) is supposed to have a 2.5 stroke. which gives you a better(for you) average leverage ratio at the 6.4 setting. I've only got experience with the 03. but regardless I think you are looking at 2.56 to 1. which is not bad. I think they/fox quoted you as if you had a 03 not an 07.

so I think you are OK.

just doing the simple calc using average leverage ratio.

290lb X leverage ratio X percent sag X shox stroke = spring.

290 X2.56 X 0.3 X 2.5 = 556

but keep in mind that's calculated with the average leverage ratio. so it might be a tiny bit low.

I'd put you on a 500 to 550 to start with. but YMMV

so what springs have you tried????

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have an '06 Heckler with a Fox DHX 5.0 rear. They put on a FOXSHOX 800x2.30 spring. I asked them for a beefier spring when I ordered the bike and that's what I got. It worked great for me at 280, but is maybe a little stiff now that I am down to 260. I think it would work well for you if you can find it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetti027
    Hello, I just purchased an 07' Yeti AS-X with a DHX 5.0 coil shock. When I bought it the bike shop told me there was a spring big enough for me. I talked to Fox today and they indicate they dont have a spring to fit. The AS-X has two travel settings, 6.4" and 7.1" Fox says if I used the 6.4" I would need a 750# and with the 7.1" an 850#. Fox said the highest they go is 700#. I asked Fox if I should go with the DHX 5.0 air shock and they said I would have the same problem, with the shock being rated at 300 psi and needing 310-330 psi.

Any one have any ideas?

Thanks,
    I am 240lb and have a 08 DHX 5.0 I tlaked to Fox yesterday and they said I needed a 800lb spring that is on a 7.5 x 2.0 they make that spring cause its coming to me in the mail right now. You can probably run a 900lb spring and be alright. I will run the 800 lb sping and up the psi in the res to about 125-150psi.