Clydeosaur

Really big clydes - what tire pressure are you running?

Hey Everybody,

When I was actively riding many years ago I knew what pressures I liked my various tires at. Now that I'm getting back into it and I'm over the 3 century mark I'm curious to see what others in the "super clyde" category are running.

On my street bike (26" comfort bike) I run at the top of the range for the tube/tire (schrader valves, conti t&c's) which is around 60 iirc.

Now that I'm taking my d440 offroad I'm currently using street pressure. Haven't actually measured it but they're near the max I believe. The tires are WTB vulpine 2.1's with presta valves. I'll measure tonight/tomorrow to see what it's actually at. But they're pretty solid at the moment.

Local trails that I'm starting on are a mix of single track and fire roads in South Florida. Trail consistency ranges from smooth hardpack, hardpack with gravel, sand, mud, mulch and a bit of pavement. The ride, understandably, is rough at the moment and the traction is pretty decent. Obviously with the semi slick vulpine it's not as effective in the sandy/muddy spots but it rolls well on the hardpack which is a big part of the areas I'm riding.

With my mass the tire runs with a pretty square profile (from what I can see of the front tire) so the side knobs seem to be coming into play. I'm going to start playing around with different pressures and different treads (must let budget recover from bike & fit add-ons first). So for now these treads will probably be it (with tubes).

What do you think? Start wit around 45-50 psi and see how it does? Or try higher/lower? I'd like some pressure in there for the hardpack but I'd like it to smooth the bumps and grip a bit better.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing what others are running.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am over 300# as well and Personally i like max pressure in the rear and maybe 10psi less than max in front. I would gladly sacrifice the comfort or slightly less traction for never having to worry about pinch flats.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    2.5 timberwolf. good traction on anything. I go in the snow, mud, hardpack and wear ever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    50 psi..... bigger wider tires knead less air. my pugsley has 4.0" tires, 30 psi is the max they can take and are hard as a rock. 15-20 psi for road or snow ridding. happy trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I had 2.1" tires front and rear with tubes and I ran 45 psi. I recently switched to ghetto tubeless in the rear with a Panaracer Fire pro (non tubless 127 tpi) and it is pretty squirelly at the max pressure 55 psi. The tube adds quite a bit of rigidity to the tire. I just ordered a UST Fire Pro that I am getting ready to put on the rear. It is a 60 tpi tire with a much thicker sidewall. Hopefully I can run it at 45 psi like I did with the 2.1" tire and tube.

p.s. I'm 6'4" 320 lbs.

BIG and Bald
    Over 350. I consistently run 45psi front and back without worries of pinch flats.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

turtles make me hot
    I weigh 260. I run 40 pounds in my Captain 29ers.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Bigger beefy tires are great for heavy riders.

I personally run a 2.5" Maxxis High Roller in the back and a 2.5" WTB Dissent up front, hoping to try a 2.5" Minion DHF 3C in the front once the Dissent is dead. Both are dual ply DH tires, I use a ~1.2mm tube up front and a ~2mm tube in the rear. I run the front at 35 PSI and the rear at around 45 PSI. Never had a pinch flat with this setup, even riding at Northstar and that is the ultimate in tire abuse. I used to run 2.24" Maxxis Motoraptors at 50 PSI and got pinch flats constantly. I weigh ~300 lbs. (Around 350 when I was killing the Motoraptors)

With a 2.1" tire I would need to keep it at near max pressure to keep from getting pinch flats.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am a hair over 3 bills, pinch flatted a WTB prowler at 40 tubeless. Picked up an Exiwolf 2.3 and run it at the max now. It has better grip even at full pressure. I run both tires full now all the time.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    as little air as I an go with and not pinch flat... comes to between 30-35psi... going to try lower when I get some wider rims and fatter tires and go tubeless
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I been asking this question. Can big Clydes run lightweight tubes? At least in the front anyway?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    270. 30psi in the front and 35 in the back with ghetto tubeless on a 29er