I Strava Hamburgers

Realizations that you'll always be a Clyde.

After biking hard and now getting into the winter months where biking isn't so much on my plate unless its weekends, I've hit the gym pretty well for the last month or 2.

I had dreams of being somewhat competitive next year in MTBing by dropping down to 215-220lbs and powering my way through some clyde events on my way to hopefully podium at least once by the time the summer was over. A 24 hour event I went to last year really lit the fire for me as I performed way better then I had expected myself to. Read the prior as: 1 lap, fall over and play dead. Instead I completed 4 laps, felt better about each lap I rode, and found that my morning lap was probably the most fun I had being absolutely gassed as ever but still finding reserves for some hills.

Since then I've lost an additional 20lbs putting me at just over 245.

Sadly what I didn't do first was get a professional assessment done. If I were to get down to 0% body fat, I'd be 215lbs. Currently I'm flirting with 10-12% body fat. So technically race weight for me is pretty much what I'm at now.

I figure MTBing for me now is more of a fun and enjoyable thing racing on teams for 8 mans and 24s. I do plan on trying at least 1 solo 8 hour this year or so.

On the +side, this is great training for my new found love of Judo.

So I guess the point of this post is that if you really wanna see where you should be at.. go get an assessment done of your physiological makeup. This way, during your weight loss you can really understand it more. I thought I was in a hard plateau since I haven't moved in months, when really 12% body fat is pretty healthy, and I should be more concerned with the ability to anaerobically exert myself into the ground rather then what I'm doing fatloss wise.

PS. BMI still puts me at obese... I lulz when I see it.

turtles make me hot
    I'm currently 260. I once got down to 209 and was told by my then girlfriend, now wife to stop. Ideal fighting weight for me is 225-230. I know just what you mean. No matter what I do or how much weight I lose, once a clyde, always a clyde.
    I like turtles

Life is Go0d!
    Me too... I'm told if I get under 215 I don't "look" right..and that's ok.. most women (at least mine is) are thankful for clydes. Look at the bright side, you can't make smaller taller.

p.s. BMI is just plain sto0pid. The only people who aren't clincically or morbidly obese are the.... wait for it........... Olsen twins.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    I completely get where you guys are coming from. 2 years ago I dropped from a very "sloppy" 275 to a sub 10% bodyfat 220. Being 6'6" I felt way to skinny. So with a dedicated diet and weight lifting plan I purposefully gained weight and got up to 255 and then over the summer dieted back down to 240 at about 12% bodyfat. This winter I have dieted up to a solid 265 with a goal of about 270 and hopefully plan to diet back down to a sub 10% bodyfat 245. Ideally I would like to stay at about that weight for some time as long as I am not carrying any extra bodyfat.

BMI is garbage. I'm condsidered obese right now even though I still have visable abs and can dunk a basketball. I have a bit of excess around the mid section but not what anyone would consider obese.

Random thought. If BMI considers me obese does that mean I qualify for a handicap parking space??? {Joking put seriously curious}
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    Great thread you've started 14stone! I can totally relate to it, I went in my 1st and so far only 24 hour race last summer at 248 lbs, rode 3 laps on a too-small-bike but loved it. I commute to work year round, 100-150 miles/week in the summer and about half that in the winter, although it takes the same amount of time due to the snow and cold. 6'5", down to sub 220 lbs now and descending, want to see what 210 is like. While in the race I came to the conclusion that any excess weight was a definite disadvantage and I have knee problems which have really improved with the loss of lbs. I haven't had a professional assesment yet like some of you have, but I do have a marathon fanatic brother-in-law who ran the Boston this year in just under 3 hours, he gives me guidance and inspiration and he says lose it all, but he's just a little tiny 140lb guy :-DD. BTW his favourite marathon drink is flat Coke.
    I've enrolled in a health assessment program at work which has just begun, they pointed out that typical BMI values for tall people are skewed.

p.s. hoping to ride in another 24 hour this summer but on a 29er and one that fits!

I'm Slow
    Yeah BMI is crap. Mr Olympia and I are both listed as obese on the BMI scale, but one of us has a award for best body, and one of us has a beer gut. I'll let you figure out which one I have.

P.S. I actually have a better BMI score than Mr. Olympia. he's 5'9" and 274lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    When I could still afford my boxing gym, my trainer told me I'd be Bruce Lee cut at 200lbs.

But I refused to take working out that seriously lol. I'd rather be a little pudgy and happily wash pizza down with delicious delicious beer on the weekends than spend 12 hours a week in the gym and stack suppliments and whatever for the sake of having 2% body fat.... AND NOT BE SIGNIFICANTLY MORE "FIT"

A lot of my buddies ride road bikes and are half my size, and I can chase them down on a SS MTB (OK I take shortcuts sometimes lol). Being skinny =/= being in good shape.
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

Former Bike Wrench
    I am 6' with very broad shoulders and a long torso, in my best riding shape I was running around 190-195 and was told by many I looked unhealthy. I'd like to be near 200, but might be better off a tad above than a tad below. I agree, BMI is a joke and I have embraced the Clyde status.

mtbr member
    Beer and pizza, actually mostly beer, my favourite kind of suppliments :-)
    I have found out that lots of beer and clip-in pedals don't mix.
    Cheers all.
    My car has a Park

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    At 6'4" with broad shoulders, I have never hope to be small. Before I signed up at MTBR, I had never heard of a clyde.... more like big dudes that look goofy on bikes. I think simply by joining the clyde forum, a person accepts who they are and that they are not going to be getting out of the status any time soon.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatroXcuatro
    That only applies if you are riding... but the bystanders watching you might argue that due to comedic content, beer and SPDs do mix!

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatroXcuatro
    Beer and pizza, actually mostly beer, my favourite kind of suppliments :-)
    Cheers all.

Beer bottles don't fit in my cages all that well either.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    You should try the new bigger aluminum bottles... I think they will fit okay... if not, you will just have to finish it before the bumpy section...

mtbr member
    In 2006 I was 195 lbs. and 6'4". I was told I was too skinny by some none cyclists. No MTB races that year just road. The year before I race Clyde at 205 lbs. then I was questioned by some about my Clyde status.
    Comas aren't as fun as riding your bike, so wear a Helmet.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by speed metal
    In 2006 I was 195 lbs. and 6'4". I was told I was too skinny by some none cyclists. No MTB races that year just road. The year before I race Clyde at 205 lbs. then I was questioned by some about my Clyde status.

I'm 6'4" and if I could even get down to 205, I'd appear much lighter. My freakin' skeleton and organs probably weighs that.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yep, I have accepted that 230lbs would be my correct weight.

mtbr member
    Being heavy has it's advantages:

El Pollo Diablo
    Thanks to making weight for Jiu Jitsu, I know that below 195, I'm almost painfully skinny...
    ribs pokin out and such.

Between my love of food, the part where I don't race, and my rugby coaches wanting me to be bigger rather than smaller, I'm alright with being +/- 5 pounds of two bills.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti2424
    Being heavy has it's advantages:

Why ride around trees when you can just pull them out of the ground and use them as battering rams?

Underskilled
    You can be a sub-clyde any time you want, you just need appropriate motivation and a machete. Saw was an awesome movie, shame about the atrocious sequels.

Judo is one of the best sports for a cyclist, it exercises all those muscles that cycling overlooks.

As you are a clyde, if you are tall you will have to 'think outside the box' to suceed at judo. I prefer the term 'fight dirty'!

I have some great moves for the tall guys struggling, pm me if interested.

I want to get back into judo, year off from injury =-( (hit someones pressure point a little to hard with my thumb during a roll (said I fight dirty), karma got me with a shattered thumb joint. Was an awesome move though! Was also winning against the guy who one national silver the week before, first time i was beating him and SNAP. shame.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone
    Why ride around trees when you can just pull them out of the ground and use them as battering rams?
    You know funny thing........I won a XC race last year, because I was the only one that could dead lift 405 lbs. Good thing you wasn't there.
    Comas aren't as fun as riding your bike, so wear a Helmet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speed metal
    You know funny thing........I won a XC race last year, because I was the only one that could dead lift 405 lbs. Good thing you wasn't there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I get a fair bit of satisfaction being a clyde and beating light weights up the climbs.

I realised long ago that i"ll never be skinny and havent lost weight in the past year despite living the healthy life. My pants have gone down in size and im stronger and faster than I was a year ago.

So keep on riding and pushing yourself harder each ride and you will get stronger and faster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul1977
    I get a fair bit of satisfaction being a clyde and beating light weights up the climbs.
    This is fun ^_^ I can't sustain a long climb with any speed, but I can burst like a mofo up short, steep ones. Being able to put more power into the pedals in higher gears makes you look like Superman

Even long climbs are OK if you're not trying to go fast. I stand up and use sort of a pump-pump-pump-coast routine, and have found that I can maintain it almost indefinitely on moderate climbs (at least on pavement, where coasting is more efficient.)
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm 6' 235 now. I've been really out of shape at 252 and when I was racing, training, and eating just to race I was 180 9% body fat. It is nearly impossible for my to stay at that weight. I should be able to get to 200 and stay there. Still big for cycling standards.

Members who have read this thread: 0