mtbr member

Raw in the Saddle

OK my Clyde Brothers, I have been riding for 3 years. I usually ride 15 to 18 miles on the trails with no problem other than getting a little raw in the seat. I can skip a day and ride again, but when I ride two days in a row I get really raw. I wear preimum padded bike shorts and use Butt Butter...my saddle is a Selle Italia with some padding, any suggestions ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Something to check....

I had a saddle that was causing me problems. Further investigation revealed that the vertical clamp bolt was long'ish, and that the seat rails had collapsed a bit. The bolt was contacting the saddle when I sat on it. It was poking up into the bottom of the seat, ended up digging its way through the plastic, and was separated only by the thin naugahide. New seat, No problems.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Even some "premium" shorts can cause 'issues with your tissues'. One odd seam, or rough edge, can spoil your whole day ;~)

Also, make sure to shower as soon after a ride as possible.

I had 'bicycle butt' (a tender tucchus while riding) for several years before it finally went dormant. I would try all sorts of saddles and shorts, and nothing seemed to truly relieve it. Never did try 'butt butter'. At any rate, now, I can ride 10 days in a row and not think twice about it. Some people get over 'BB' sooner than others. I have wondered if it's worse for clydes since we put more weight on the saddle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Even some "premium" shorts can cause 'issues with your tissues'. One odd seam, or rough edge, can spoil your whole day ;~)

Also, make sure to shower as soon after a ride as possible.

I had 'bicycle butt' (a tender tucchus while riding) for several years before it finally went dormant. I would try all sorts of saddles and shorts, and nothing seemed to truly relieve it. Never did try 'butt butter'. At any rate, now, I can ride 10 days in a row and not think twice about it. Some people get over 'BB' sooner than others. I have wondered if it's worse for clydes since we put more weight on the saddle.
    Butter was key for me. Use=No Problem No Use=Problem

That's after I got the bolt to stop poking me in the taint of course. Butter wont help with that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Get your sit bones measured! Then get a new saddle! I like SMP's.

mtbr member
    Brooks B67,
    BROOKS ENGLAND LTD. | CITY & HEAVY DUTY | B67

Really worth it...!!!

mtbr member
    I just read an article from Single Tracks that poped up on my facebook page that is exactly what I am talking about, gonna give it a shot...http://www.singletracks.com/blog/beg...ion-treatment/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spclays1 View Post
    I just read an article from Single Tracks that poped up on my facebook page that is exactly what I am talking about, gonna give it a shot...http://www.singletracks.com/blog/beg...ion-treatment/
    Don't know why but this linc is good but after I click on it I have to hit the refresh button to make it open up. Maybe sombody more computer savey than me can fix it

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've had good luck with DZ Nuts Chamois Cream!

I do notice differences switching between brands of shorts. My Pearl Izumi Elite Bib Tights(4-way, seamless stretch 3-D ELITE chamois) give me the least discomfort.
    Klein Attitude XX
    Santa Cruz Heckler 6.1
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Surly Moonlander

mtbr member
    Well, the info I got from the linc in my other post, I went back to my original seat and lowered it 1/2 inch. Lets see how this works....