Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tribe of one

Racing? Any Clydes out there rolling up to the starting line on Sundays? Why not?

I've spent the better part of this year training and racing this year which has been a great source motivation to keep weight in check (250# to 206#) The handful of races that Iíve done have yield decent results. Highlights would be losing third place by 2 seconds or the guy who is the anchor for the back of the pack teasing the points leader in our catagory that he was coming for him. Racing is exciting and adds a dimension that wraps the whole mtb biking thing togetherÖ for me at least.

Iím generally surprised that more members of the greater mtbing community donít race. So if you race what got you into it? And if you donít race why not? Thanks in advance. R

R.I.P. DogFriend
    That horse left the barn a long time ago.

Both of my kids race and many of my friends race. But, call me crazy, I want riding to be for fun, not to feel like every ride has to be a "training ride" NTTAWWT if that's your thing.

But that's only part of it..... Picture a sweaty obese sloth riding a bicycle. I aspire to be that. I'm incredibly slow and nobody enjoys seeing me in lycra. I'm lucky there's not a law against it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I started to try racing this year. Have done a few races in the area. I will admit that i did not realize that there was a clyde division up here in New England. The first race was as a veteran II and then the second race was in the clyde division. I am 5'6" and 210 before gear. I know that I am not all that much of a clyde, but i figure for my height I qualify. It has been lots of fun as our whole family has gotten into it this year, but at the same time I will admit that I tend to feel better riding in the same category as jeffj- slow and relaxed. I have ridden almost 500 miles this year so far, not a lot, but way more than last year. I still can't seem to get the weight down though.
    Keep having fun and enjoy the racing to get yourself into better shape, and when you know you're ready, you can move into a different category of riders. A little competition goes a long way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I feel the same way as you.....

I have been racing now for about 5-6 years. Started off in the Clyde category, but at 205lbs I am now racing expert or sport masters depending upon the distances offered. I definetely see myself racing as a Clyde again as the weight comes back on.

I have also been racing a bunch of solo 12 hr events and just recently completed the Cascade Cream Puff 100. Cyclo-cross is also a blast. Its all good, especially if your attitude is to just compete and finish. Racing helps you push yourself past the edge of comfort and control, and your rewarded with adrenaline and endorphins that are unlike any drug I have ever tried.

I hate that name.
    Race? No way. Never.

So far this year, I've got 2385 miles in 210 hours (a good portion of that is road). And I don't ride enough. I'm slow. I love to eat, thats why I weigh about 235lbs.

Racing gives me a reason to get out and ride on those days when I don't really feel like it.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    I think either you have that gene or you don't. I'm just not interested in racing, not even a little bit. never have been.

I'm just not competitive (although I will play some halo). I never even do the thing where you challenge your buddy to be first up the hill. ever. I find it really annoying. it's got nothing to do with winning or losing. the most annoying time I had with that was when a friend who is really competitive, but not an experienced cyclist, insisting on trying to race and compete on every part of a ride. she was completely out of her league so she ended up killing herself and ruining the ride for all of us. it would have been so much more fun if I could have just let her beat me on some of it, but she wasn't even a fit enough rider to make it plausible.

nothing ruins a good ride like a race breaking out.

I don't think there's anything wrong with competition, I'm just not into it. but I am interested in the question of why some people are so competitive and others aren't. one of the interesting things I notice, at least among people I know, is that the really competitive people have a hard time understanding, or even believing that other people don't feel that way. like they're just faking or something to screw with them.

bb

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I ride my bike because it makes me feel good. My work environment is pretty high tempo and at times competitive. My time on the wheels is for fun - which is not racing.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo_x
    I don't think there's anything wrong with competition, I'm just not into it. but I am interested in the question of why some people are so competitive and others aren't. one of the interesting things I notice, at least among people I know, is that the really competitive people have a hard time understanding, or even believing that other people don't feel that way. like they're just faking or something to screw with them.

bb
    haha, that's totally true!

Although i've noticed that the competitive people tend to be the ones that explore their boundaries and end up progressing faster.

I plead the fizif
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo_x
    I know exactly what you mean. Those are the friends that I usually don't ride with. I don't care who is the best, I just care about making myself better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I want to just hit some single track next year, thats my goal. Around me is mostly paved bike paths, and I am getting where I can ride 15 miles or so. (Have only been riding a few weeks now) I Figure once I can do 30 miles paved, I might be able to last 5 miles dirt lol.

Tribe of one
    As my biking handling skills progress I view to organized racing as as an outlet to test speed and endurance in an appropriate setting. It is a fun way to challenge myself.

As a clyde racing this has been helpful for maintaining an overall focus on health.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    May I ask where to look into over weight racer classes in New England MA area??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TronCarter
    I know exactly what you mean. Those are the friends that I usually don't ride with. I don't care who is the best, I just care about making myself better.
    yeah, the part I don't get is; so what if I beat you? who the hell are you? you're just some guy! now if I beat lance armstrong that's impressive. what's so great about beating dave from down the street? I'll just let dave win because it's just easier.

on the other hand I will kill myself to prove to myself that I can climb a hill. I just don't care about how fast I did it, and even less about how fast dave from down the street did it.

different strokes.

bb

local trails rider
    I have never been a very competition oriented person, although I know there are things in life I do (or have done) pretty well.

I have some experiences with past hobbies/sports that suggest that when I start getting serious about it, I lose interest. I want to avoid that and think it is better to keep my riding casual: no schedules, no traveling with a bike, no pressure.

A few group rides, now and then, is enough. There's a big annual ride coming on Saturday. I think I'll join if the weather is nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

I'm Not Super Competitive Either

I've finishing up my 2nd year of racing in XTERRA Tris and I have no intentions of stopping.

When I'm out of the water and on the bike and a skinny 5'6" b@$t@rd gets overly anxious to pass me, I just figure, "you should have gotten out of the water quicker!"

I rarely time-trial on the bike while training (maybe that's my problem on race-day). I only go out on nice long, enjoyable rides. I never miss an opportunity to stop and check out the scenery. I certainly never figure I have to eat while riding like on race-day. I'll always stop for that while "training."

My main competitive urges come to better myself and not where I end up amongst the finishers. However, that urge seems to be growing as I'm racing more. I haven't done a strict MTB Race yet, maybe next year.

I'm 6'3", 220lbs and the more I "train", the more I eat. As such, I've stayed 215-220lbs. I haven't figured that one out yet.

Tribe of one
    Any clydes out there that are interested with competing? What has prevented you from racing?

As previous posters mentioned people bike for different reasons as they should but if you have ever considered it what were the things that have held you back from entering a race?

I don't consider myself a competative person. After getting the engine tuned up, bike dialed in, the course down and taking into consideration hundreds of other variables I did my first competive anything in ten plus years. The goal for my first race this year was just to finish. Even if I had come in DFL I would still of had a good time. To my surprise I came in mid pack and was hooked on it.

As we approach the end of this race season in this area I'm already thinking about next year. What about you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    When I first got into racing, I was kinda turned off by all the skinny dorks/racer boy types that you encounter at the races. You know what I mean... the little purple skinned flyweight with his skull cap on acting tough. It was laughable really. As a big guy, I played college football and all of the contact sports (I still play masters rugby) and just could not seem to relate to these guys. It's like you are in a different world.

I got over it and glad that I did. Consequently, I have made some great friends for life. The love of biking can bring people together. But man, these skinny guys with their pre-race game faces still really crack me up!

What would be great if there were more clydes at the races to chill with pre- and post. The kind of guys that would rather knock down a couple beers and bull**** instead of analyzing their gps while sipping a recovery drink.

I really don't see it happening though

Tribe of one
    I too have seen the pre race face attached to the stick figure bodies. Its funny and unfortunate those people look the same after the race.

After doing a few races in the same series with same people everyone seemed to lighten up at the starting line. As I mentioned in the original post one of my most memorable moments was at the starting line when anchor for the back of the pack was taunting the points leader in the friendliest of ways.

My hope with this thread is to get the clyde population that has contemplated racing to give it a go and to support the clydes who already do.

mtbr member

I am 6ft 2in and 250 lbs w/o gear...

and have done several races, xterra events and off-road duathlon's. Its weird competing in a sport where my size is a disadvantage. I am not used to this, but fortunately I learned to put my competitiveness in check long before I ever rode a mtb. In mtb racing the scrawny chicken little dude that couldnt hang in football, basketball or baseball is king of the hill, lol. Just goes to prove," everybody got their sumthin' !". I like the feeling that racing gives you, the rush of riding on the edge of your abilities. Feeling your heart in your throat, all the same things that made me compete in sports most of my life. Just in mtbking I have a snowball's chance in hell of winning. That is new for me, for sure.
    Last edited by edouble; 10-07-2007 at 08:25 AM.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Tribe of one
    I enjoy the racing scene to test my biking abilities and for the process of identifiying ways to improve my game. Also enjoy riding on and pushing that edge. Making it to the podium is just icing on the cake.

Somedays everything comes together. To the competative Clyde brethren the icing is obtainable.
    2007 MTB FP.jpg

mtbr member
    I won't race clydesdale because I'm 201 and I don't feel that's enough over 200. The class should be 210 and over.
    Lou
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    Airborne Ti HT
    Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I've been racing on and off for over 20 years. I've always been a clyde but this year I raced mostly Grand Masters. About 2/3 of the way thru the season, I noticed my time would have won or placed in the clydes. Last race I went back to clyde and got a 2nd. I love racing. I was talking to one of my buddies about not having a chance to win the Grand Masters and my response to him was that if he and I are racing for 15th place I'm going to try to kick his ass to not finish 16th.

BTW, did you guys know that the guys at Dirt Rag were the first ones to get behind the clydesdale class to get it started. If you ever see them at a race be sure to thank them.

mtbr member

Cograts!...

Quote Originally Posted by bike flyer
    I enjoy the racing scene to test my biking abilities and for the process of identifiying ways to improve my game. Also enjoy riding on and pushing that edge. Making it to the podium is just icing on the cake.

Somedays everything comes together. To the competative Clyde brethren the icing is obtainable.
    2007 MTB FP.jpg
    I have gotten two 3rd place and one second place finish, just never won . I am usually middle of the pack, takes forever to warm up my 250 lbs .
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Tribe of one
    Quote Originally Posted by edouble
    I have gotten two 3rd place and one second place finish, just never won . I am usually middle of the pack, takes forever to warm up my 250 lbs .
    After the first race this season it was apparent that the extra flab was seriously interfering with my ability to climb hills. I could hang with the skinny riders on the flats and down hills it was the up hills were I would always loose my position.

I focused my training to long hills and gave a lot thought to my nutrition. After a few weeks of this routine I noticed that I was getting faster and able to push harder gears getting to the top this one monster hill. At some point along the way I enjoyed attacking the hill. It was a thrill to be able to accelerate up this one paved hill.

On the race courses this is a huge boost of confidence. I am better able to deal with the lactate acid that builds up and work through my legs screaming to stop get off the bike and walk.

banned
    I don't race beacause at 5'10 1/2" and 285lbs I would end up looking like a beach ball with lips if I wore lycra

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast