mtbr member

Quick Question About Tire Pressure

Should us "Bigger" gentlemen stay in the upper range or lower range of the recommended tire pressure? a friend of mine said that because I'm a bit over weight its best to keep slightly less air in so my weight doesn't increase the pressure too much and blow the tire. this seemed like horse squeeze to me and I have been keeping about 50 psi in my HT 29er
    2011 Gravity 29point1 19" frame

mtbr member
    Keep whatever pressure you want that keeps you from getting pinch flats or having a squirmy ride. I would not take any advice from that friend regarding your bike, his comment is pretty stupid.

not-real-slow
    I'm a pachyderm-class rider too.
    We actually need a bit MORE air pressure than the other guys.
    Our tires are trying to suspend more weight.

BUT...
    You also ride a 29er, which has a lot of area inside the tire.
    So you don't need as much air pressure to suspend your weight as you would on a 26.

My dealer told me to run 35 psi when I bought my 29er.
    I thought he was crazy - but he kept after me until I did.
    It made an incredible difference in comfort and control.

I agree with Adim_X, do whatever feels right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DieTheVillain View Post
    Should us "Bigger" gentlemen stay in the upper range or lower range of the recommended tire pressure? a friend of mine said that because I'm a bit over weight its best to keep slightly less air in so my weight doesn't increase the pressure too much and blow the tire. this seemed like horse squeeze to me and I have been keeping about 50 psi in my HT 29er
    50psi sounds way too high... If you're riding paved "trails" it's probably about right. However, gravel on down to rocky rooty stuff you want as low a pressure as you can go. The first thing you'll notice as another poster said is you'll get pinch flats. It'll look like a rattle snake bit your tube. The tube will get caught between the tire and the rim (actually between the tire on the rock and the tire covering rim) and pinch it so hard that the tube gets a pinch "defect" and fails. This can be remedied by going tubeless, which I highly recommend! However, the next problem you'll run into as you go lower will be either rim "damage" or if you could get "burp" flats when running tubeless.

Bottom line: 50 is way too high you'll be more efficient, your body will thank you and you'll be able to hold your line in rough stuff better in the low to mid 30's. or lower if tubeless.

jct
    mtbr member
    invest in a quality gauge like the topeak D2.

mine arrived last night. i was pretty surprised at the low pressure i was running in my tarz.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    rule of thumb... as little pressure as you can without pinch flatting or hitting the rim on a hit... and high enough it doesn't squirm in a turn (typically not to much of a prob)

the tire and the rim width make a difference... wider rim will allow for lower pressure.

I'm running a rigid (aka no sprung fork) 29er myself... at 320lbs... an exiwolf up front (2.3 large volume) I found even 30psi is to high... out back i'm running a 2.1 kenda SB8... and think i'm running low 30's which seems about right...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm 300lbs and run about 32psi front and rear. Feels good to me.