shh. don't tell the wife
    Aug 2008

New question here. Question about the stock Lyrik spring

Hello,

I'm 200lbs (little Clyde) and as such I often find stock fork springs too soft. Has anyone close to my weight upgraded to a stiffer spring in their Lyrik? Specifically, the U-turn variety?

tia
    All you need is love... but Scotch'll do in a pinch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, I have an 08 Lyrik Coil. I switched to extra firm springs because I weight 230lbs w/o gear, and Iím glad I did. The ride feels more natural, before it was like soft as taffy. However, I have found that that I donít use the last inch of travel unless I go off a big jump, so the firmness is essentially cheating me out of some upper travel.

200lbs isnít that heavy, so you may want to go with firms if anything, but first check to make sure that you are actually bottoming out or close to it by doing the zip tie thing. (Put a zip tie around one upper tube, ride, and see how much it went up to see how much of the travel youíve used).

There are a couple of things to know about switching springs:

1. If donít actually need that firmer spring, the fork will feel harsh no matter what you adjust and you wonít get all the travel. Since you own a Lyrik I assume you know enough about bikes to see how this is really a bad thing.

2. The U-turn is significantly harder to turn with firmer springs, there is more resistance.

3. When you turn down the travel all the way (compress those firm springs) the fork will feel much harsher then you then the stock.

4. It costs a good chunk of change. Springs run $40 USD, and youíll need new seals and wipers as well as a complete overhaul of the fork. It cost me a total of $150 to swap (I had my LBS do the work). Some forks cost that much.

5. It does make a HUGE difference to the feel of the bike, for me it was a positive one. My ride feels the way it should. Although its less plush over small stuff, I no longer bottom out, pedaling is waaay more efficient, and jumping & landing both feel better.

At 200 lbs, I canít whole heartedly recommend you switch unless you are an aggressive rider. It really depends on what kind of riding you do, for normal trail riding I would stick with the stocks. If you bomb technical stuff or clear fallen logs while airborne, go firm.

Hope this helps.

shh. don't tell the wife
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the input.

I'm leaning towards the firm, not extra firm spring. I'm surprised that the spring swap required a complete overhaul. Regardless, I'm sure my LBS would swap it in for me at no extra charge as its part of a new bike purchase.

Right now I do clear small stuff, but the whole point of a new bike with a Lyrik is to start chucking some serious stuff, so I'll be surprised if I didn't bottom out the stocker.
    All you need is love... but Scotch'll do in a pinch.