mtbr member
    Jan 2013

A question about hubs?????

As I am awaiting the delivery of my bike, I am having some wheels done. Being a 'Clyde' and all and what I've read so far it seems to be almost a must. My question is..Is it necessary to change the front hub as well as the rear or just the rear? By the way, my bike is going to be the Trigger 1 29er w/Lefty should be here by months end according to the LBS. I been riding a different bike for the past three weekends and have come to experience the slipping effects of the rear hub on the bikes(if I'm saying that right). Personally I want to change both hubs just to keep colors matching, but the problem is that I found out that there is not but a few companies make lefty hubs. And if they do, they lefty hub for the Trigger is bigger than previous lefty hubs. So there's it is, Is it necessary and what are the benefits of changing the front hub?

Project321 and DT Swiss if not mistaken make Lefty hubs, CK, Industry9's have been considered but they don't make a Lefty hub.

Wheels will be Flows, spoke info would be helpful too. Thanks

mtbr member
    The only reason to change the front hub would be for more spokes, and IMO unless you taco a wheel, there's no need; the front isn't stressed nearly as much as the back. There's no freehub or anything that needs to be 'clyde-rated' in the front.

I9 has lefty versions of complete wheels (or so they say), but not hubs for regular spokes. Lot of money to have parts match...
    add woodman to your list of lefty-compatible hub m

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I got stronger wheels this past winter. I got stiffer hoops and went from 32 to 36 spokes on the front and rear. I mainly upgraded to get a stronger rear wheel, and a stainless freehub body. I upgraded the front wheel to keep a matching set, but that increased front-wheel stiffness made a huge difference in cornering, handling, and steering. I wasn't expecting it to make such a big change, but I like it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: A question about hubs?????

Quote Originally Posted by authalic View Post
    I got stronger wheels this past winter. I got stiffer hoops and went from 32 to 36 spokes on the front and rear. I mainly upgraded to get a stronger rear wheel, and a stainless freehub body. I upgraded the front wheel to keep a matching set, but that increased front-wheel stiffness made a huge difference in cornering, handling, and steering. I wasn't expecting it to make such a big change, but I like it.
    I wouldn't worry about the front. The rear takes not only a lot more of your body weight but it also has to take the forces of you pedaling. By comparison the front wheel has an easy existence

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2