mtbr member
    May 2009

Q on tires, gears, and more for 07 Hardrock Comp Disc XL.

Hello,
    I am a Clydesdale @ 6'4" and 325 lbs. I ride a 2007 Hardrock Comp Disc XL bought new in 08 as a closeout with only stiffer front spring installed by LBS, higher-rise bars, and seat. Been a great bike for me. I ride mostly trail and XC but I am going back to grad school and will be using the bike for campus transport now. I ride about 2-5 times per week where I will occasionally jump things but am limited to my fat butt getting up to speed. The hard-tail fits me well.
    I am looking for some advice on decent Clydesdale-friendly tires that will hold up good for rocky trail, XC, and still be decent on pavement for campus riding. My stock rims have held up great to my occasional wild-hair jumping and I am going to ride them until they fail. I would also like to know if anyone has a suggestion for a better gear/rear-set combination than stock. I would like something less prone to kicking the chain off when shifting under power. I really don't use/need all the gears that I have now so less could very well be more.
    Here is a copy and paste of my bikes equipment from the Specialized web site:
    * A1 Premium Aluminum frame, disc only, double butted TT, ORE DT, externally relieved head tube, reinforced disc mount, forged dropouts
    * RST Gilla Plus RA Disc fork, 100mm, Cro-Mo steerer, 30mm stanchions, coil spring, rebound and preload adjust
    * Avid BB5 brakes, mechanical disc, 6" G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    * Shimano FCM-341-8 crankset, Octalink Spline, replaceable rings
    * Specialized/Alex HRD 26 rims, double wall disc w/ eyelets
    * Specialized Resolution tires, 26x2.1", 60TPI, wire bead

FRAME
    A1 Premium Aluminum, disc only, double butted TT, ORE DT, externally relieved head tube, reinforced disc mount, forged dropouts w/ replaceable 98954020 hanger
    REAR SHOCK
    N/A
    FORK
    RST Gilla Plus RA Disc, 100mm, Cro-Mo steerer, 30mm stanchions, coil spring, rebound and preload adjust
    HEADSET
    1 1/8" threadless
    STEM
    Specialized 3D forged alloy, two bolt, 25.4mm, 10 degree rise
    HANDLEBARS
    Alloy 25.4mm, 38mm rise, 620mm wide, 8 degree back, 6 degree up sweep, 3.2mm thick
    TAPE / GRIPS
    Specialized Enduro, dual density Kraton
    FRONT BRAKE
    Avid BB5, mechanical disc, 6" G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    REAR BRAKE
    Avid BB5, mechanical disc, 6" G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS
    Avid FR-5, alloy "V"
    FRONT DERAILLEUR
    Shimano Acera M-330
    REAR DERAILLEUR
    Shimano Alivio M-410
    SHIFT LEVERS
    Shimano Alivio M-410 SL Rapid Fire
    CASSETTE / FREEWHEEL
    Shimano MFHG-40, 8-speed, 11-32t
    CHAIN
    Shimano HG-50, 1/2" x 3/32"
    CRANKSET
    Shimano FCM-341-8, Octalink Spline, replaceable rings
    CHAINRINGS
    42S/32S/22S
    BOTTOM BRACKET
    Shimano ES-25, Octalink Spline, cartridge bearing, 68 x 126mm for 50mm chainline
    PEDALS
    Specialized alloy platform, 9/16"
    RIMS
    Specialized/Alex HRD 26, double wall disc w/ eyelets
    FRONT HUB
    Specialized Hi Lo disc, 36h, CNC flange and disc mount, QR
    REAR HUB
    Shimano M-475 Disc, cassette, 36h
    SPOKES
    2.0mm (14g) stainless
    FRONT TIRE
    Specialized Resolution, 26x2.1", 60TPI, wire bead
    REAR TIRE
    Specialized Resolution, 26x2.1", 60TPI, wire bead
    TUBES
    Specialized schraeder valve
    SADDLE
    Specialized Body Geometry, ATB
    SEAT POST
    Alloy micro adjust, 30.9mm
    SEAT BINDER
    Alloy collar w/ QR
    NOTES
    Chain stay protector, reflectors, clear coat, owners manual

I have searched for reviews and comparisons but am looking for some insight into what is working for fellow big riders for an all around combo.

Thanks,

MOJoWales

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I am narrowing down tire choices to the following:
    Continental Gravity
    Kenda BBG
    Kenda Nevegal
    Maxxis CrossMark
    MaxxisMinion DHF
    Any thoughts for a tire that will hold up to the high pressure I require that will be decent on rocky trail and XC but still okay for pavement on campus rain or shine? I have no problem running tubes as I haven't had so much as a single pinch flat with my admittedly limited jumping activities so far with my stockers from Specialized.
    I'm also curious if anyone who has ridden similar setups to mine could recommend an upgrade in the gear/shifting department that would be less likely to throw a chain when shifting and just better/smoother all around. I have lost my chain enough times now that I instinctively coast along until the gear change is complete to avoid ending up on the ground after peddling into no resistance. I don't expect to be able to put my full legs into peddling while shifting but I would like better than I have now. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

MOJoWales

mtbr member
    Shifters and dérailleurs...SRAM X.7 or X.9

Tires...only ones I can comment on are the Nevegals. They will turn your bike into a tank however they are very slow rolling and probably would not last anytime at all on pavement. I run mine between 45 and 50 psi with tubes. No issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

native.
    Mar 2010
    I run these tires on mixed/XC riding for everything in my stable:

Kenda Small Block 8's 2.1"
    WTB Nanoraptors 2.1"
    Panaracer Fire XC PRO 2.1"

The Kenda, I've only run as a rear tire with the Panaracer in the front. The WTB's I have run front and rear on my bikes. The Kenda is probably the quickest rolling out of the bunch with the Panaracer being more aggressive than any in that list.

Congrats on getting into Grad School!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks a ton guys. It is a real advantage to be able to bike around campus versus parking and walking/shuttle-busing. One of my favorite places to ride is on the drive home from school for me so I will be getting more "quality" ridding in too. Being able to use the same tires both places really helps to simplify things for me.
    I am leaning towards the Kenda small block 8 out of the original list. Any thoughts on running the Kenda H factors on pavement(campus) and dirt/rock(trails) with a heavy load like mine? I am doing some extensive internet window shopping right now and they all look good in some form or another. It is about "shut up and ride" time for me and it's all good.
    I am very lucky to be going back to school and on that note I had better get to bed like a good school boy.

Thank you both very much,

MOJoWales
    Last edited by MoJoWales; 08-23-2010 at 12:11 AM.