mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Pure V literally made me sick today

This is probably my first post here. I'm a huge 6' 1" 440 lb dude and I got the WTB in today and promptly removed my Cloud 9 sofa. I did my normal 6 mile route and on the last mile I felt like I was going to pass out from the pain. Is it to early for a seat like this or should I give it more time?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Everyone is different. For my posterior it doesn't get much better than the WTB saddles. I'd just put the Cloud 9 back on and ride!
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I was around 420# when I got back into riding. It took me some time to get my sit bones toughened up. I'd give it some more time. You might find that it just doesn't hit you right but the Pure V is a fairly wide decently padded saddle. I'm guessing you'll get used to it...hopefully.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Everyone is different. For my posterior it doesn't get much better than the WTB saddles. I'd just put the Cloud 9 back on and ride!
    Yeah I think this will be the best course of action until I drop a hundred.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Pure V literally made me sick today

Being in the same boat as you guys even after losing many many pounds, my ass is usually the deciding factory when it comes to how long I ride. I'm talking riding everyday for a years.
    To the OP/Say your goal was 250. The area around your sit bones will most likely have extra baggage which will always create problems. It is something you deal with. For me WTB's are too flexy in the shell and become like a canoe. You always hear people say/ get a Brooks they are the most comfortable, maybe if you 180 .You'd bottom it out. I'm still trying different saddles. I'd also suggest to continue using the cloud 9. Nothing will be comfortable at this point. Keep pedaling

Pedaling

mtbr member
    I ride a Specialized Gel Avatar. Great saddle. Served me well from 320 pounds to my current 250 and will continue to do well.

mtbr member
    I would definitely work my way down slow..that's a huge jump. Ride that big seat as long as you can.

The Serfas DDM-200 Dual Density is 171mm wide. The WTB Comfort V is 172mm.

https://www.serfas.com/products/view...ensity-saddles

Comfort V | WTB

Track Junkie
    Great question.

I've used a Pure V for awhile, basically 4 years or so. Probably the best saddle for big-hips.

Be sure the saddle is adjusted properly. Big-guy with big bellies usually have a level, or slightly nose-down position. Also, the fore-aft position is very important: a quarter-inch can make a significant difference.

I also notice that, after long periods not riding - it takes about 2 weeks of riding 2 or 3 times a week to get my sit-bones used to it again.

Hope this helps.
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Pure V literally made me sick today

Why change anything If you're comfortable?

New saddles are best tried in short doses before going for long rides. It takes time to adjust and it's always possible you'd get used to it over time. But your description sounds bad enough I'm not sure I see the point in forcing it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    18 miles on the Cloud 9 today with no issues. The only plus to the WTB I notices was that my hands never went numb like they always do with the comfort seat. I'm willing to deal with that and I already have the ergo palm rest grips. Oh well, that's what I get for 15 years of self-abuse.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Pure V literally made me sick today

Wait, why does the saddle affect hand numbness?

In road biking, one way of receiving pressure on the hands is moving the saddle back a bit. Moving your saddle back puts more weight on the saddle. Moving it forward puts more weight on your hands. I assume this would apply here as well.

Maybe you installed the wtb back further? Even if not, try moving the cloud back a bit and see if it helps takes some pressure off the hands and helps with the numbness? It will put more weight on the saddle but with the cloud it might be fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The cloud is all the way back. The massive cushion squishes down on the nose no matter what. The WTB forced me to lean off the bars. I'm going to buy 40 different bar ends and mount them everywhere on the bar. I'm just happy to be riding!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Try tipping the nose of the saddle up. It can help prevent you from sliding forward and putting more weight on your hands.

You didn't really compare saddle A vs B. You compared two different bike fits / riding positions as well.

I think it's critical for you to get into the bike fit you need to achieve the desired fore-aft weight balance. If you can do it with the cloud, great. If not, it's worth finding a different saddle that makes it work.

Here's a relevant article: How to Fit a Bicycle Check out "Saddle Tilt" and "Fore-aft saddle position"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Are you riding in regular shorts ? If you can get a quality liner and lightweight shorts, you will be more comfortable regardless of saddle selection. That's not say your WTB will become your favorite, you probably need to experiment and see what works. Also, try to think 'light in the saddle" and put your weight / power into your legs and onto pedals.