Thread: PSI Question

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

PSI Question

Now, I know that PSI an almost entirely personal preference type of thing, but what is the average "safe" psi? I'm 305#, and just looking for a good base starting point if you will, I'll mess around with it from there to find what works for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have been running my tires at high pressure (50-55 psi) since I got back into riding last spring. I'm thinking that's probably too much. I weigh about 265, and I kept the rear wheel extra firm when I rode a hardtail, to avoid pinch flats and dented rims. I'm riding a full-suspension bike now. I'm thinking I'll drop it down to 40-45 when the snow melts off the trails this year. Meanwhile, I'm keeping the pressure high, for lower rolling resistance, while I'm stuck riding roads and paved paths.

Is this thing on?
    I'd start with the max pressure listed on the tire sidewall and then lower the pressure from there if you want/need to. When I was in the 250-290 range I usually ran about 40 psi, both hardtail and FS. The problem with high pressures off road is traction is seriously compromised. You need to find a balance between your style and avoiding pinch flats/denting rims. Low enough for max traction but high enough to prevent rim strikes. If you go tubeless then its just a matter of avoiding denting rims. Currently, I'm 225 and run 25-30 in my tubeless 29er wheels and 30-35 in my tubed 26" wheels. I'm not particularly hard on wheels and my area isn't very rocky so I can get away with lower pressures.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    thank you both. i'll check the max pressure and start with 5psi below that gradually decreasing until i find ,y sweet spot. sounds like it'll be somewhere between 40-50psi