mtbr member
    May 2013

Problems with pedals!

So here's my story. Purchased a 2013 GT Karakoram 2.0 a couple months back. I should add that I'm about 250lbs. Anyway, got the bike home and went for my first ride. I noticed that the right pedal would "click" right when I started the down stroke. The best way to describe it is, I could feel it in the bottom of my foot, like it had a catch in it. Didn't notice anything other than the click feeling. Had to take the bike in for adjustment after I "tested" the front brakes and brought up the pedal click. The guy rode it and decided to throw a new pedal on because he thought the bearing might have issues. Didn't have any problems for a month and a half, then during one of my street rides, the right pedal started to "click" again. It "clicked" for about two minutes and then locked up. I was able to break it loose to continue my ride, it would still occasionally lock up, but I was always able to break it free. Take it back in, guy pulls it apart, says bearing is junk, tells me pedals are just shitty and I will probably just keep wrecking them. Tells me he'll give me a really good deal on and upgraded pair. Fair enough, fixes the pedal for free to use in the meantime, and I ordered these VP VICE at a pretty good price. Get them today, put them on, and within one block, the right pedal starts to "click" this time only when it transitions right at the top. I'm not worried about the shop keeping me happy, I just don't understand why it's happening. Does anybody have any thoughts? Could it be something I am doing? Something wrong with the bike? Thoughts on other pedals? Help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Re: Problems with pedals!

If you ride with cleats get some time pedals. They are great.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2013
    To clarify, they are flats.

mtbr member

Problems with pedals!

Can you remove the spindle and check for grease? I've been using Shimano M520 pedals (cleated) for three years, just re-greased them this year and they run as good as new. Maybe your bearings are dry.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I guess anything is possible, but I wouldn't think brand new pedals would be dry. Would be a place to start though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Could it be the crank? I'm around 240 with vice pedals, and have no clicks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Bike shop is going to go through the crank and the bottom end, just to make sure everything is good. We'll see sometime next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Problems with pedals!

Could be your seat post clamps. A creak or click there can appear to be coming from the cranks or pedals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Mine was a loose rear maxle
    12' Horsethief
    12' st-3
    96' Killer v

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you have replaced the part that you thought was the problem, and the problem is still there, it wasn't the problem. Could be a plethora of other things, from cranks through bottom bracket, gears etc.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Bike has been gone through, only thing found was the rear cassette was a bit loose. Haven't ridden it yet, but they told me it was good. Thanks for your help everyone!