mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Problems during last nightís rideÖ

I normally ride on Tuesdays and Thursdays after work here in DE. Most rides are anywhere from 12 to 21 miles. Iím 6í1Ē and 240 and have been riding steady for over a year now. Last night me and a buddy decide to shoot for somewhere around 20 miles. It was a bit hot, but not bad. I had a slight headache before we started, but didnít think much about it. We got about 18 miles into it, and my head started throbbing. We normally donít take any breaks, but I had to take a few. We were about 5+ miles away from the car at this point, so I had to try and get back. My head got worse and my stomach got pretty bad and I felt like getting sick. I pushed to about 22 miles slowly until we got to a trailhead parking lot, and had to stop. I was close to getting sick and wanted to avoid that. My buddy called the Rangers to keep an eye on me while he rode back (in the dark at this point with no lights) to get the truck. I got a ride home and felt decent after getting a meal and relaxing. I still have a slight headache today, but feel fine otherwise.

Iím not sure what caused all this trouble, and itís kind of bothering me. Iím on a low carb diet, and have been for years and years. I was on vacation last week in Cancun and didnít really follow the diet, and now that Iím back, Iím going hardcore low carb. Yesterday I had a decent breakfast, a salad with chicken for lunch, and an Atkins protein bar before the ride. Iím thinking I didnít eat enough at lunch. I drank plenty of water throughout the day, and drank a decent bit during the ride. I donít think I was dehydrated. What do you guys think? I donít want this to happen again, but I want to keep pushing myself on the bike. Should I get checked out by a doctor? Iím not a big fan of the quacks.

Disgruntled Peccary
    Headache, nausea.. classic dehydration symptoms really, so it's hard to say. How were you for electrolytes?
    mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well, none really. I normally only drink water due to the low carb thing. I probably had 75oz at work prior to riding, and a good liter or so while riding. I did some investigation today and found that Poweraid Zero seems to be pretty decent, and well liked despite it's long list of chemicals. I might start drinking some of that before/during rides. I had to stop to relieve myself a few times last night, but I heard that doesn't mean I wasn't dehydrated.

Disgruntled Peccary
    nope, color's a good indicator though
    mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    those symptoms could be related to dehydration, and or heat stroke.
    you said it was hot, where you sweating and did you stop sweating at any point during the ride ?

here is some info on symptoms of the two - http://www.umm.edu/non_trauma/dehyrat.htm

it sounds like it could also be attributed to the low carb diet. carbs = energy

thread killer
    go to the DR.'s

do not trust the internets for some thing this important.
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

29 some of the time...
    I had a similar ride earlier this summer (link) I think that poor diet can really come around and bite you when doing endurance activities like cycling. I have been much more careful to eat prior to riding and to make sure that I am putting some carbs into the tank. Atkins type diets may be good for weight lifters and people who want to drop weight without doing much, but the incomplete diet is no good when you are expecting to dig deep for hours on end. That of course is my feeling and personal experience. Might go see the doc and make sure you aren't deficient in something important
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sounds like a case of heat stroke, and it was HOT yesterday, but like WTF-IDK said go to the Dr's if you are worried about it.
    Trek Fuel 90 - FOR SALE PM ME
    Cannondale Scalpel 1000 Push'ed
    Cannondale Caffeine 29er - weight weenie !

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, it might have been heat stroke/dehydration. I've been drinking water like a champ and think I'm back to normal. I'm gonna give it a go again tonight, but take it easy. I'll be sure to get some Poweraid, and maybe even a cliff bar or something for some carbs. I'm even gonna make an appt to go to the quack. I haven't had a physical for probably 4 years now, so I guess it couldn't hurt. I'm seriously considering going to a low fat diet soon too. I'm gonna go to the book store and look into a good diet book. Having guidelines really helps me eat better.

mtbr member
    metabolism advantage is a pretty good book with a lot of good info. Low carb diets are for morbidly obese people and because they get good results they became main stream. not a great way for normal healthy people to eat.
    Trek Fuel EX 6
    Cannondale F5
    Felt Z100

My photos

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Sounds like you drank enough water that it probably wasn't dehydration. The formal name for "electrolyte problems" is Hyponatremia and I think that may have been your problem. It can really lay you low. Check out wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia

So, just drinking water is not enough.

Disgruntled Peccary
    yea, the big problem is that the symptoms are almost identical for dehydration, hypoatremia and heat stroke. Now, it's really much better to start out well hydrated before any activity but it's possible to sweat out well more than a liter of water an hour during activity.. the kicker is you can't process more than a about single liter an hour. Putting you at a net loss of fluid no matter what you do. All in all, unless you're seriously overdoing the water intake I'd say your chances of experiencing hypoatremia are pretty minimal for most people. That is NOT to say that you should not also replace electrolytes at all, far from it.. but normally I personally experience other issues from running low on electrolytes first, personally I tend to get muscle cramps.
    mike

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    No doubt, it can be hard to make the differential diagnosis since all those are similar. I've seen a number of cases of hyponatremia among people who were not eating much and just drinking water while exercising strenuously for extended periods of time in hot weather--which sounds a bit like the original poster.

Regardless, the Poweraide 0 should prevent hyponatremia in the future provided it contains electrolytes--or there's salt/electrolyte tablets.

mtbr member
    Doesn't anyone use any of the tablets from Camelbak (Elixor or something like that) and some other companies that you add to your hydro packs? I've used the camelbak stuff myself and think it works pretty good, it gives your water some taste but nothing over powering plus the benefit of some electrolytes along the way.

Disgruntled Peccary
    I like the Elixr's. I just don't use them in my camelbak... One tablet does work well in a 21oz bottle though.. and it lets me have a mix of plain water and caffeinated electrolyte drink (I like the caffeine, and the orange flavor). I like it a lot better than gatorade, or powerade.. low cal/carb ta boot.. if that's an issue. I also like endurolyte pills.
    mike

Fat and Slow
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by freyguy
    Should I get checked out by a doctor? Iím not a big fan of the quacks.

my wife is one of those quacks, and yes, you should probably get checked out if the headache doesnt go away. you were probably a little dehydrated and possible a little "malnourished" for that trip. if it happens again, dont post here looking for advice, go to the doctor { quack } instead.
    09 Hardrock Sport Disc.

Ologist
    Sounds like early heat stroke...

mtbr member
    Best electrolyte IMO is Emergen-C. Love the stuff.

Be careful with hyper low-carb. I lost 60# with it two years ago but it messed up my stomach and it took quite a few months to heal. Wasn't quite a ulcer but definitely an irritated stomach lining and pretty uncomfortable. Gotta have some carbs to keep the digestion going IMO.