mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Pretty Large Guy looking to max out his budget ride.

Hi Guys,

Just got my first MTB and first 29er. I'm an ex BMXer so I ended going with a name (and reviews) that I trusted:

I am 6'5'' and weigh 330 pounds so I know inexpensive choices are going to be few but I have to try. I'm not trying to have a heart attack in 5 years. Gotta get this weight off and I love nothing more than being on a bike.

I already ordered a new seat but I know I want/new a new (to me) fork with lockout (preferably air). I'm not afraid to go used, especially with a new 6 month old baby in the house.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need a stronger wheelset when I start free riding and jumping again. I'll probably need longer crank arms but that can weight.

I've read plenty of posts on this forum over the last month and a half (thanks for all the info guys) and would love to get a few suggestions on what I should look at. I've only seen 2 other guys post on here that were my size or larger. I'd love to here from anyone else in my weight class.

Keep climbing, Clydes!

mtbr member
    At your size I would honestly recommend a rigid fork until you drop under 300#, and you may find with your BMX background you may prefer it anyway. The Surly Karate Monkey is a solid fork that will handle your size. Wheels wise might check out Lace Mine 29 - Big Bicycle Wheels for solid hand built 29" wheels for a big guy.

Truth be told though, that frame is neither made for free riding or jumping...especially for a guy your size.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I haven't found any MTB meant to be jumped by somebody my size though. Everything seems to top out at 250#. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Welcome to the larger end of the internet.
    Yup. Stick to riding for fitness until you get a bit of that weight off and trying to defy gravity again! It's a budget bike and you are off the deep end for weight so go easy on it and put the miles in rather than hucking. You would have to be spending quite a lot more (a couple of thousand) to build a bike that a 300lb man can throw around without a care. You weren't 330 when you rode BMX so remember that too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm right at your height weight and have been there since I started seriously riding (6 years ago). I ride hard and am relatively athletic for my size, I ride about 1000 miles a year. I ride a lot but haven't gotten my diet under control so still big....anyway.

List of things you will break and eventually replace: rear hub freehub, seatpost, crankset, wheels, cheap front fork

List of things you should upgrade before you ride: really nothing, ride it until it breaks and then replace. The stock parts are cheap enough that you won't save much money but selling them and replacing. Just ride until stuff breaks. Replacing front fork with a rigid is a good suggestion though.

Other than a crazy downhill rig or a dirtjump bike (full rigid), you won't have much luck hucking until you are sub 250. Like others have said, focus on getting into shape and start ramping up the excitement when you are there. 330 lbs is hard to control when it hits the ground unless you are very strong. Bikes don't like it either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Oh and if you are looking for a beefy bike and you like diamondback, the Mason would be a stout rig.

mtbr member
    The problem with a few brands like Diamondback is they make good, top-level stuff, and then they make budget sporting goods store stuff, but it all bears the same brand name. So you have to make sure you're getting one of the "good" bikes out there.

That said, since you have the bike now, I'd say ride it, lose weight, and have a good time.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi There! Nice choice in the DB. I guess I'm biased, I have the Overdrive sport...
    I'm a little smaller than you, but I've found it to be a great "starter" bike. It's light enough to throw around, and the components on it are great enough to use, but not so expensive that you'll go broke replacing them.

I would suggest upgrading the fork ASAP. I picked up a manitou tower pro 120mm and had my LBS get a XXFIRM spring from Hayes direct and it's awesome so far. You'll love it over that XCT. SR Does make a version with a lock out, which Was good enough for me for a bit, but, it's like riding without a suspension at that point.

However, you're rocking the V-Brakes, which I *think* limits some of your choices, unless you want to upgrade your brakes at the same time. Honestly, I would. I'd look into some inexpensive avid bb7 or some shimano hydros. That's getting expensive though.

Hell just ride it until it falls apart!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The DB is a very good choice to start out...just ride and then figure out what you need to change/upgrade....it can be expensive.....

Once you are out there, you will not even notice any issues for a while, then after a few rides or a few months, you may want to start buying parts...until then....ENJOY IT!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tan&Green View Post
    The DB is a very good choice to start out...just ride and then figure out what you need to change/upgrade....it can be expensive.....

Once you are out there, you will not even notice any issues for a while, then after a few rides or a few months, you may want to start buying parts...until then....ENJOY IT!!!!
    Yep, I think it is funny when people buy a bike and then start tearing things off before even getting to know it. Ride it, get in better shape, and figure out what is working and what is not. If the V-brakes are doing the job, no need to spend $$ on discs. Same with everything else on the bike.

The only thing I change immediately when getting a new bike is saddle and pedals. I'd pull those reflector jobs off and buy some sturdy pedals with good grip before doing much of any riding at all, personally -- those pedals aren't going to do you any favors anywhere but on a bike path. You also probably want to check into getting a heavier spring for that fork, if it is available -- it probably came equipped for a 170 lb rider. Some forks can take heavier springs, some cannot. If it cannot be upgraded, you'll be pretty hard on it and it wont perform as it should. But you'll know that after a ride or 2!

Other than that, you'll figure out what does and does not need to be changed. Good luck!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4" and 289, and I'm on the 26 inch Outlook from 2011, but new to me. I love the bike, and it is great for just what you need to do right now, get the weight off, and enjoy some basic riding. You've got a sweet ride there. Nowadays, you gotta ride what ya brung.