Thread: Power un-Link

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Power un-Link

Yesterday my powerlink came undone...

Actually, it happened just as I landed a very small jump, so I wasn't pedalling. Chain tension was lowish since up front I was in the middle ring and in back the small ring. Landing the jump with low chain tension cause the derailleur cage to flop around, so I guess that somehow undid the powerlink.

Anyone else experienced this?

The good thing is I've learned not to pedal after hearing metalic pings come from the rear of the bike and I had a spare powerlink so I was up an running pretty quickly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    No, never had it happen. Are you sure it was seated properly, can't see how the link could come undone if it was properly installed. I can see it breaking. I never had a problem with power links breaking or coming undone.

mtbr member
    That seem strange to me too. I have a VERY hard time getting my powerlinks to open once I've put any sort of pressure on the chain. It could be that it wasn't seated right, but it could also be a bad link, I guess. Did you manage to keep both halves of the link, or did the fall out?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Half the power-link fell out and I couldn't find it, so I had to use the back up.

I'm pretty sure it was well seated b/c I have gone on multiple rides since the last time I opened it.

Funny thing is someone mentioned having the same thing happen in the same situation--landing a jump. And, went on to say that it was an older power link and they thought that played a role. Mine was old too, so hopefully this won't happen with the new link and I guess I'll use a new powerlink when I get a new chain from now on.

BTW, my chain is close to a year old, but the powerlink is older.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    mine did that about 2 weeks ago... was a in a rooty DH to uphill transition area... looks like one of the link ends came undone and because it bent from the tension i put on it... i'd adjusted things the day before so it's possible i didn't get it seated quite right though... is all I know is i looked down expecting that i'd dropped the chain up front from over adjusting my FD and instead the chain was all wound up in the RD...

i carry a spare quick link so i was back on the trail quickly...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It happened to me twice about 4 years ago, so I no longer use PowerLinks. First time was pedalling hard between two large gap jumps, second time was hopping up onto an urban ledge. Both links were relatively new and had been working fine on several previous rides. Neither one caused any real problems, but I do enough riding where a broken chain would mean a serious injury that I stopped using them.