Back in the saddle

Post your Clyde bike shop woes

Being a Clyde, I have found most bike shops just don't understand the beast.

I can create 3 times the power of a 135lb road jockey in a bike shop. They don't understand the true meaning of the term "giving it the watts". Any suggestions on drivetrain should be taken with a grain of salt, especially when they mention component weight.

Here's one story. Had my bike in to a local shop, to get the chain and cassette replaced. First, I asked them to diagnose the problem, so they would test drive the bike. I didn't know if I needed just a chain, just a cassette or both (learned later to change them together). All I wanted was the drivetrain fixed.

The tiny bike jockey apparently thought I must have been an idiot for having so much air in my 150mm fork, and bled it out I didn't notice until I got on a ride and almost went over the bars.

Short story, I hate idiots who screw with my bike when they don't understand the issues I deal with weighing 125 lbs more than them. Frustrating.

I also hate them talking to me like I'm a fatty who can't ride. "Here's a nice wide, seat with springs that you can be real comfortable on". Crap, I imagine they'd sell me Spokey-Dokes and handlebar tassles so I can have something interesting while riding through city park. I can out ride most of these guys any day of the week.

"I gots to has my respect!"

Chime in!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I was in a few weeks ago for a broken chain / chain skip / crank creak.

I brought in a new LX chain and new XT front derailure for them to install and then diagnose the next move. They agreeded to install and adjust since I just bought it (used from them) a month ago. They installed the new chain and greased the crank arm octolink interface.

Chain still skipped and cranks still creaked.

They test rode and said nothing wrong but they would replace the casset on my dime. They did and it cured my skip but the crank creak was left unresolved.

Tonight I installed a new SLX crank set. My old Shimano BB-30 interanl bearing was wobbeling in the plastic cup / bearings were still Ok.

turtles make me hot
    You need to learn to wrench on your own stuff. Bicycles are not overly complicated machines. This way, you're not depending on someone else to make your decisions for you.
    I also have a bad habit of thinking everyone can fix everything. I still believe most people sell themselves short wrenching on their own bikes.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I have not ever had any bad experiences at any of the shops I have ever gone into. I have always found everyone that worked there to be very helpful and they understand that I cause different stresses on my bikes than they do.

As for wrenching on my own bike, I can do most of what I need to do, given access to the tools. Being in college, I don't have the money to buy all the tools needed to work on bikes. For the simple maintenance, I take care of that myself. If I don't have the tools or don't feel comfortable, I take it to a shop.

I hate that other clydes run into bad shops, but I haven't ever had to deal with a bad shop.
    You may be quick, but I'll knock you over

I Strava Hamburgers
    Here's a nice wide, seat with springs that you can be real comfortable on
    First and only time I ever went to a store that did that to me. I haven't been back since.

Sorry, my WTB Silverado's do perfectly well for me thanks, look like torture, ride like i'm sitting on a plate.

I wrench my bike rarely, I usually take it in, but I have free wrench services because the bike was purchased at the shop.

They're happy to do it, they're good guys, they understand clydes as one of the owners is one himself so its easier to get to the point about strength of the part rather then argue cost and bling.

And in return, I give them my business.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496
    You need to learn to wrench on your own stuff. Bicycles are not overly complicated machines. This way, you're not depending on someone else to make your decisions for you.
    I also have a bad habit of thinking everyone can fix everything. I still believe most people sell themselves short wrenching on their own bikes.

I have to second this. Even the little people I ride with break stuff all of the time. Most of the guys I know in our weight class eventually learn to wrench on their own bikes if they want to keep riding without weekly trips to a shop.
    "Serpentine Shelly. Serpentine!"

turtles make me hot
    The shop I frequent is awesome, but I'm a lifelong mechanic.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I did bicycle mechanics back in 86-88 after racing BMX 82-86. I'm an auto mechanic by trade stepped out in 97 for plant work. Currently working on a Millwright (Industrial Mechanic) apprenticeship at DuPont.

Mechanics? I can do it ~ just don't have the high end specific MTB knowledge today for that ride tomorrow ~ also worked 16 of the last 18 days(No extra time with work / wife / kids).

But I bought the park tools set and book ~ NEW SLX cranks DONE.

I'll take care of the rest for now. Still looking for a shop that can take care of my needs for those times when I don't have the extra time.

SO darned much has changed over the past 25 yrs.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    OK, not a big deal and not clyde-only....
    Called a new LBS to see if they could true my 29er MB wheels....they said "sure, no problem"
    I get there with wheels in hand only to find out that their truing rig was mounted too close to the wall and that my wheels wouldn't fit.They proceeded to let the air out of the tires and still would not fit and as I have my tires set up tubeless, one of the two was a PITA to remount. Even with a good compressor, it took me about 30 minutes.

As others have said, the more you can do on your own the better. I re-grease bolts on a regular basis to get rid of creaking/noise

Back in the saddle
    I do wrench my own stuff now. Rebuilt my crankset last week. Need to learn to do cassettes. I got everything else. Can completely rebuild otherwise. Park tools are cool and moderately priced. Good for us.