Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 488
  1. #1
    The Duuude, man...
    Reputation: ncj01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,537

    Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's

    I don't have an "after" photo yet of my self, becuase I'm still "during."

    However, I thought it would be good to get a single thread together with all the before/after success pictures. Lets keep it simple and concise:

    1) Before & After Weight (or dimensions/etc)
    2) Before & After Photos
    3) How long it took to transform yourself
    4) Brief Statement of how you did it

    Hypothetical Example:

    Hi, I'm bob, I went from 280 to 220 in 10 months by cutting fried food and soda's and riding 3x wk, here's my photo's:

    <img src="www.brokenlink.com.jpeg">

    and

    <img src="www.brokenlink.com.jpeg">
    FS: Everything

  2. #2
    The Duuude, man...
    Reputation: ncj01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,537
    Come on ya'll....this board was littered with success stories when it first popped up...lets get them gathered up!!
    FS: Everything

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gti2k2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    19
    I was 230 lbs. on Jan. 1st. I'm now 195 lbs. and still working at a lower target. I just got on that f%$&ing trainer every day and stopped the snacking. Losing is a lot harder that gaining at 51.Weather is getting better, so, I'll be able to do real rides almost daily. There is a trail a quarter mile from the house. I guess the real trick is sticking with it and keeping the weight off. I tend to get lazy in the fall when the snow starts.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    122

    ok here it goes

    Feb 1 2002 found me at UCLA in a surgeons office talking about preperations for bariactric surgery the following may. My weight...458lbs. at 6'1" 41yrs. old I wore a size 60" waist and was obviously a mess. I started a diet/exercise routine to try and lose as much as possible before the surgery. I had so much sucess that I cancelled the surgery. Later that year I took up mtb. By thanksgiving 02 I was down to 320lbs., but had a bad mtb accident that kept me off the bike for a extended time. Fast forward to thanksgiving 04, I weigh in at 380lbs. and decide I have to get serious about my health. I take up roadbiking and got hooked, this morn I stepped on the scales at 275lbs, my goal is to get down to 220lbs., and now I'm confident I'll be able to. I wear a size 42"-44" waist now. So far this year I've logged over 1400 miles on the road and have done 3 organized centurys. The trick now is to balance my road riding with mtbing. I'll post 3 pics ,1 at 458, 1 at 380 , and 1 at 280.
    Jim S.
    OK HERES THE PICS!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bigkahunadad; 05-05-2005 at 06:42 AM. Reason: add pics

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    6
    OMG!! It's been so long since I saw you at that prior weight... I'd forgotten how ya looked then... have I mentioned today how proud I am of you???

    I am bigkahunas lil sis and a roadie as well... gave my mtn bike to my nephew, kahunas boy, since he needed a bigger size as he is growing...

    anyway, if THIS post doesn't inspire you, nothing will! we have ridden the 3 centuries together... our first 3 for both of us... kahuna is just getting stronger and stronger and really challenges me to keep up now! (insert I have to draft him to keep up these days! LOL) It's so fun to have such a great hobby in common with my big brother, and gives us an endless source of conversation and a great way to spend time together away from TV, phones and pagers!

    bigkahunadad... you really are an inspiration...

  6. #6
    The former Blue 'Goose
    Reputation: aliensporebomb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    299

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Sure

    In 2004 I lost close to 60 pounds and over the winter gained some back.
    More on that later.

    I'm still trying to lose that but the new job and the wifes' health problems aren't
    making it easier.

    Last summer it was easy to lose the weight since my job had been outsourced
    and after looking for jobs in the AM all I had to do was ride. Almost 2500 miles
    later....

    Here's some before and after pics:

    Before Just Big - Sheesh:
    <img src="http://pod.ath.cx/w8/before.jpg">

    After I'd lost about 60 pounds:
    <img src="http://pod.ath.cx/w8/todddown60.jpg">

    My rides:
    http://pod.ath.cx/bikedecide/bikedecide.html

    My Specialized Epic Dual Boinger on the left, my Giant TCR2 roadie on the right.
    If you click on the bike icons you can go to a series of ride reports I've done around
    those rides.

    My wife has lost over 150 pounds since those days and she's a lot faster on the
    bike - she initially rode a recumbent but now has a mountain bike and is looking
    at getting a road bike. I'll see if she's agreeable to having her own pics
    posted.
    Last edited by aliensporebomb; 08-23-2006 at 02:56 PM. Reason: to show the photos instead of links

  7. #7
    BODYSNATCHER
    Reputation: mr magu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    287

    Listen! Okay I'm In...

    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    I don't have an "after" photo yet of my self, becuase I'm still "during."

    However, I thought it would be good to get a single thread together with all the before/after success pictures. Lets keep it simple and concise:

    1) Before & After Weight (or dimensions/etc)
    2) Before & After Photos
    3) How long it took to transform yourself
    4) Brief Statement of how you did it

    Hypothetical Example:

    Hi, I'm bob, I went from 280 to 220 in 10 months by cutting fried food and soda's and riding 3x wk, here's my photo's:

    <img src="www.brokenlink.com.jpeg">

    and

    <img src="www.brokenlink.com.jpeg">
    Started riding in January 2003. 245 buck naked.
    I'm down to 194 and in better shape than ever, ride 3X or more a week, RHR is 49, and I want to lose at least 10 more, ideaaly 15, 180 seems reasonable. Oh, I'm 41 and 5'9".
    Pix to follow as soon as I get some recent ones to do b4 and after. I enjoy these kind o' threads, they inspire me. I sometimes feel like noone knows the "thrill of fitness"( hey- book title? ).

    Has anyone else hit this wall, that is, have you guys experienced a huge slowdown in the pounds lost after a certain point/ It took me three months to lose twenty, another six to lose another twnty, and now over a year to lose the last 10-15. The doc says I'm very heathy across the board i.e. very low cholesteral, good overall health, etc. She says it's the muscle from riding that I gained which accounts for the difficulty in losing the rest...
    Well?
    High up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home...

  8. #8
    Hoss Dee-Lux'n It
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by mr magu
    The doc says I'm very heathy across the board i.e. very low cholesteral, good overall health, etc. She says it's the muscle from riding that I gained which accounts for the difficulty in losing the rest...
    Well?
    Yup. Same thing happened to me when I started in the gym. Lost about 25lbs in a about 4 months, then I could lose nothing. Thing was all my clothing got looser on me, but the weight stayed the same.

    Basically it was the muscle gain off setting the weight loss.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brewdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    594
    I used to weigh 215 w/ 12% body fat then I got a really cool girlfriend. Four months later I got a dog. Two years later I weigh 240lbs and have an unknown amount of body fat. Good news is can still buy bike parts just as fast as I was I could two years ago.

  10. #10
    texas proud!
    Reputation: relate27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    8
    i have only been riding about 2 years now and not all that much until just recently.i own a 2003 redline monocog. i started out at about 325 or so.. im 6'0 .. my bike is a singlespeed. i am not at 295. i just changed cogs on my bike to a 16t cog so its a little more challenging to ride for me wich is good. i havent lost a ton fo weight but its a start and i know im getting stronger cause i can do things that i used to not be able to do on bike such as riding distances and hills.this pic is of me last year at 320 at south padre island sept 2004.im on the far left with the greyt shirt on and shorts

    today i feel great and have a ton of energy i started commuting to work everyday now on my singlespeed and riding about 2 hours after i get off of work almost everyday.the ride is only about 30 moinutes but it has a couple good hills that i dread riding almost everday.i consider riding my SS training till i can afford a mountain bike.i am thinking about getting a bigger chainwheel pretty soon too within the next 6 months or so. hopefully in a year i'll have a mountain bike and be kicking some ass here in austin on the trails. best of luck to each of you.i have a long ways to go myself and seeing the weight some of you guys lost inspires me to keep on riding thanks!

  11. #11
    The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Reputation: stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    Good job! Call me "The Amazing Shrinking Man"!!

    On March 11 this year, I weighed in at 581 pounds. I went through Bariatric Surgery on the date of March 11, 2005. The posted weight here is my presurgical weighin to calculate anesthesia needed for the Surgery. My current weighin is at 462 as of this morning! Hooah! I have recently taken up MTB again as I am again capable of doing it ! March I was in a wheelchair because of my weight. I am still on supplemental oxygen therapy, but am now riding easy trails(Easy for most people, that is!). I carry my O2 in a backpack sleeve my provider found for me, so I can ride with my O2 on. I am also walking 1-2 miles daily now either outside or on a treadmill when the weather is bad. I bought a used Royce Union for $50.00. I know, a Huffy, but it's what I can afford for now and it's holding up well with my big carcass riding it offroad! Needless to say, I'm not doing any freestyle riding(No drops or jumps) but WTH! I'm back in the saddle and riding again! This is a HUGE triumph for me as I wasn't sure I'd even make it this far. Even better, my Diabetes has apparently gone away as I am no longer using my insulin and my blood sugars are holding dead on normal! All in all, I think I will definately reach my goal weight of 250 pounds by next Summer! Here's a link to my blog, The Amazing Shrinking Man if you want to follow my progress: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com . I'll post some pics as soon as I can get them shrunk down to an acceptable size for the servers here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stormcrowe; 05-21-2005 at 07:32 PM.
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

  12. #12
    College
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,198
    I am not a clydesdale and i don't post in this forum, but people like you just inspire me. It's great to hear stories like these.
    Great to hear the progress, but HUFFY...WAHH. I'm betting if you get a real bike, you'll loose weight twice as fast. Actually I guaruntee it.

    Goodluck
    Bryan

  13. #13
    The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Reputation: stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    ... and if we just ... Thanks Bry!

    Quote Originally Posted by b12yan88
    I am not a clydesdale and i don't post in this forum, but people like you just inspire me. It's great to hear stories like these.
    Great to hear the progress, but HUFFY...WAHH. I'm betting if you get a real bike, you'll loose weight twice as fast. Actually I guaruntee it.

    Goodluck
    Bryan
    Thanks Bryan! I appreciate the support! Actually, it's nice the response I am generally getting from the cycling community. I've found cyclists to generally a GREAT bunch of people! Very few bad apples, so what can I say! As to a better bike, I'm saving up for a 29er to eventually replace the ol' Royce Union! By then I'll probably have it completely worn out anyway!
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

  14. #14
    The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Reputation: stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    Good job! I just thought I would brag a bit!

    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrowe
    Thanks Bryan! I appreciate the support! Actually, it's nice the response I am generally getting from the cycling community. I've found cyclists to generally a GREAT bunch of people! Very few bad apples, so what can I say! As to a better bike, I'm saving up for a 29er to eventually replace the ol' Royce Union! By then I'll probably have it completely worn out anyway!
    By the way, y'all, I have an update on my weight loss! As of yesterday, I have lost 136 pounds! Hoooah! Just thought I would brag a bit!
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    426

    Okay I'm in...

    Okay . Last season I got myself a brand new mtn bike with great intentions to ride. I had quit smoking in Jan 2004 cold turkey...gained the weight. Then last spring I had to undergo 2 major surgeries and spent months recovering. The weight piled on!
    Stress from work didn't help any.

    This spring I finally got fed up at work and packed up and moved out west. I weighed 276 when i left and am now down around 247lb. I picked up a KONA Dawg Primo at the end of april and have been riding it ever since. I ride at least 4 times a week and race every thursday night. Tonights race included 1400 feet of elevation.

    Ultimately my goal will be too get my weight under 200lb.

  16. #16
    The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Reputation: stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    ... and if we just ... Way To Go, Ski!

    Quote Originally Posted by skihillguy
    Okay . Last season I got myself a brand new mtn bike with great intentions to ride. I had quit smoking in Jan 2004 cold turkey...gained the weight. Then last spring I had to undergo 2 major surgeries and spent months recovering. The weight piled on!
    Stress from work didn't help any.

    This spring I finally got fed up at work and packed up and moved out west. I weighed 276 when i left and am now down around 247lb. I picked up a KONA Dawg Primo at the end of april and have been riding it ever since. I ride at least 4 times a week and race every thursday night. Tonights race included 1400 feet of elevation.

    Ultimately my goal will be too get my weight under 200lb.
    WAY TO GO! Keep up the great work! Win , lose or draw, you're still riding! Keep up this level and you WILL make your goal! I know taking riding back up has done wonders for me!
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    116
    I guess I hardly qualify as a clyde anymore, so I feel a bit funny posting. That said, here goes...

    I graduated from high school at 240 lbs. Completely inactive. On my way to on even higher weight. 44 inch waist
    Went to college, went vegan, discoved cycling, lost 60 lbs.
    Hurt my knees, then broke my foot, gained 30 lbs.
    Graduated from college at 212 lbs.
    Moved to NJ, started grad school, joined the cycling team, started working with a coach, lost about 50 lbs.

    Currently, I'm around 165, 34 inch waist.
    It's been about a 6 year process, but I think I've finally changed my lifestyle enough to stay within a healthy weight range. Funny thing is, none of my teammates have any notion of how big I once was.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Reputation: stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    Good job! This is a work in progress post!

    I know, a road pic, but this is me down by 161 pounds at this point! This is a 7 mile ride I was on! I'm feeling pretty good here! Progress! Wait til I hit my goal weight!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

  19. #19
    Gus, just Gus.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    147
    Way to go fellas! About 2 months ago I has a serious look at my diet and fitness. I have cut out most sugar, carbs and other "problem" foods. No more fast food, no more soda. I also started riding seriously again (3-4 x/week) and I feel like a new man! I have dropped about 15lbs and feel really strong on the bike again. I am at 221lbs (down from 237) as of this morning and feel confident I will reach my goal of 200lbs by the end of the summer. I will get up a couple pics as soon as I can dig 'em out.

    Stormcrowe: Your BLOG has been a real inspiration for me brother! Keep it up and know that I am routing for you!

  20. #20
    The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Reputation: stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    Thanks GusTopher!

    Actually, my blog helps me as well. It allows me to vent frustration and gives me tangible proof of how well I am doing! You might keep some kind of journal yourself to track your progress on weight loss and miles as well! It helps keep frustration at bay. By the way, don't forget the vitamins and keep your protien to a MINIMUM of 65 grams per day! DO NOT GO BELOW that figure! Don't forget to eat Beans and rice at least once a week, you need some carbs and beans and rice is an EXCELLENT source of complex amino acids your body needs and CANNOT make even if you are taking vitamin supplements. DOn't forget vitamin B12 either, you can get liquid B12 at Walmart for less than $10.00! Put a dropper of it under your tongue at least once a week. It'll jack up your metabolism and give you scads more energy! Not to mention it's good for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by GusTopher
    Way to go fellas! About 2 months ago I has a serious look at my diet and fitness. I have cut out most sugar, carbs and other "problem" foods. No more fast food, no more soda. I also started riding seriously again (3-4 x/week) and I feel like a new man! I have dropped about 15lbs and feel really strong on the bike again. I am at 221lbs (down from 237) as of this morning and feel confident I will reach my goal of 200lbs by the end of the summer. I will get up a couple pics as soon as I can dig 'em out.

    Stormcrowe: Your BLOG has been a real inspiration for me brother! Keep it up and know that I am routing for you!
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

  21. #21
    Gus, just Gus.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    147
    Thanks for the tips, I am pretty much following that to the letter, minus the beans and rice. Maybe I will incorporate that into the diet!

  22. #22
    gentle like
    Reputation: kept man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14,837
    You guys rock. Stormcrowe, man, I don't know what to say. That's focking awesome.

    I have had the pleasure of watching my mom drop from 220 lbs to 150 ... she can borrow clothes from my wife, and I have never seen her so delighted and confident. She's in her early fifties. My stepdad is down from 310 to 230 ... also pretty cool.

    And both thanks to biking ... they both do road exclusively, but I still love them. My mom racked up 5000 miles last season, placed second in a triathlon, and my stepdad wasn't too far behind (in terms of road miles).

    Just keep riding.

    Of course, I should mention that eating at my mom's haus is no longer the absolute experience in rich, creamy hedonism it once was, but I'll take the trade.
    Last edited by kept man; 06-23-2005 at 10:55 AM.

  23. #23
    Alright, let's ride!
    Reputation: LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,472
    Hmmm, not sure how to start this but on 12/1/04 I weighed in at my all time high of 220 pounds. I decided it was time to start losing some weight. I started going to the gym 5 - 6 times a week for 2 - 3 hours a day. I mostly did cardio but I did some weights as well. I also really paid attention to what I ate. For breakfast I would have brown rice and oatmeal. I would have a protein shake around 10:00 then for lunch I would have either rice or soup. About 2:00 I would have another protein shake then I would have a light dinner, usually a 6" sub from Subway. I would have another protein shake around 8:00 at night. During this time I was only getting on my bike about once a week. By 3/28/05 I was down to 183 pounds. Since then I have been spending much more time on the bike and I am only getting to the gym about once a week to work on my upper body. Right now I weigh 174 pounds. I have lost a total of 46 pounds so far. I am hoping by the beginning of next years race season I will be down to 165 pounds. A couple of other important numbers my body fat has gone down from 24.7% to 15.9%. I am really paying more attention to those numbers now than I am my weight. I want to be down to the 12% - 13% by December.

    Here is the closest thing I could find to a before picture. Unfortunately my computer crashed so I lost most of my pictures. In the picture I was only about 205 pounds.
    The second picture was this past weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LowCel; 06-23-2005 at 12:39 PM.

  24. #24
    Gus, just Gus.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Hmmm, not sure how to start this but on 12/1/04 I weighed in at my all time high of 220 pounds. I decided it was time to start losing some weight. I started going to the gym 5 - 6 times a week for 2 - 3 hours a day. I mostly did cardio but I did some weights as well. I also really paid attention to what I ate. For breakfast I would have brown rice and oatmeal. I would have a protein shake around 10:00 then for lunch I would have either rice or soup. About 2:00 I would have another protein shake then I would have a light dinner, usually a 6" sub from Subway. I would have another protein shake around 8:00 at night. During this time I was only getting on my bike about once a week. By 3/28/05 I was down to 183 pounds. Since then I have been spending much more time on the bike and I am only getting to the gym about once a week to work on my upper body. Right now I weigh 174 pounds. I have lost a total of 46 pounds so far. I am hoping by the beginning of next years race season I will be down to 165 pounds. A couple of other important numbers my body fat has gone down from 24.7% to 15.9%. I am really paying more attention to those numbers now than I am my weight. I want to be down to the 12% - 13% by December.

    Here is the closest thing I could find to a before picture. Unfortunately my computer crashed so I lost most of my pictures. In the picture I was only about 205 pounds.
    The second picture was this past weekend.
    Awesome, you lost weight and gained Ellsworth! I need to start working on that part of things...

  25. #25
    Alright, let's ride!
    Reputation: LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,472
    LOL, yeah funny how things work out. The bike in the first picture wasn't even mine, it was the shop owners. At the time I rode a Superlight but I had shipped it out to Moab. I ended up riding there for about a week. I can't wait to go back there and ride now that there is less to have to carry up the climbs.

  26. #26
    The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Reputation: stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    Cool-blue Rhythm No problem Gus!

    Please do add them Gus, preferably brown rice as it's higher in Lysine than white, but white will do. Beans are also an excellent source of Lysine as well as THE best source of vegetable protien there is, especially soybeans or pinto! Kidney are good as well. Stay away from canned baked beans because of the sugar and fats. Here's a good meal to try out! Navy Beans(dry), cooked in chicken broth with a chicken breast, shredded. You can make the broth by boiling the chicken breast in it(It's easier if you use a boneless breast BTW). After boiling, remove and discard the skin, shred the breast finely! Add brown rise, add a bit of wild rice if you like as well, gives it a great flavor. add 1/4 cup FINELY chopped red peppers(Mild) as well as a bit of Paprika. Emerils BAM(tm) seasoning is a good substitute for the paprika BTW! It gives the dish a nice Creole flavor! add minced onions(Great source of vitamin C) and simmer til done. Tastes better the second day by the way! Enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by GusTopher
    Thanks for the tips, I am pretty much following that to the letter, minus the beans and rice. Maybe I will incorporate that into the diet!
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

  27. #27
    College
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,198
    Hey Stormcrowe. The thread got bumped so i naturally remembered your progress. Looking good there man. Since you started talking about healthy eating habits, ill tell you about mine. I take this packed multi vitamine daily. It's a really good deal and should last pretty long

    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ast/multi-pro.html

    That's the best one i have found so far.
    Another thing, even 65 grams is too little honestly. You guys should be getting much much more. I take 80 grams worth just from dairy products and a whey protein powder ( optimum whey). Then theres also meat and other foods that give me protein. I take a lot of protein, but im not a believer in the atkins. I think that thing is stupid because everyone needs carbs. But i do limit carbs to only complex fibers and grains. What reallly helpled me giving up soda, juice, candy, and other sweets is religion, haha. i gave them up for lent and it kinda just stayed. Although now i do eat sweets on the weekends, which doesn't seem to be doing much. Although im only at 10% body fat, that's how i live my life, and to me it's not suffering at all. When ever you get frustrated about eating that stuff, just think about Steak. Steak's so damn good, i don't even care about sweets anymore.

  28. #28
    Alright, let's ride!
    Reputation: LowCel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,472
    This might be posted somewhere but for the protein check out Optimum Nutrition protein shakes. The only one I really like is the vanilla milkshake one, the cookies and cream is terrible. It has 23 grams of protein but only 110 calories per serving. Sorry if this is already on here somewhere.

    I have one good protein smoothie a day. To make it I have 3/4 cup milk, 1/2 a small container of dannon light and fit yogurt, 4 or 5 strawberries, 1 tablespoon Smuckers natural peanut butter and one scoop of protein powder. Mix that up then add ice to the blender. It actually tastes really good.

  29. #29
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation: chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    173

    thanks for the motivation..

    I just replied to your PM before reading this. This is a great thread. I'm up to about 205 right now..and would like to get down to 185. As I sit here drinking a tall coffee laced with sugar...about to head on vacation for a week of drunken debauchery and gluttony..is it ok if I start next week ?

    I do hope to at least be below 200 by the time of the shuffle. Sadly..I've still not been riding much and I'm still pushing one gear, which means I'll probably be pushing a lot in general in WV. Oh well....I"m still looking foward to it and can't wait.

    I would like to catch you in chat sometime..to talk about what you've accomplished, get some advice, ideas, source of more motiviation, etc. from you. Congrats Bruce !!! Congrats to everone in this thread !!!
    Procastinators...Our Leaders of Tomorrow!

  30. #30
    The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Reputation: stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    ... and if we just ... I was talking BARE MINIMUM protein

    Actually, my personal protein intake is based on 1 gram protein/kilo of body mass on a descending scale as I lose weight. 65 grams is the minimum you would need to avoid protein malnutrition syndrome. I'm using a protein supplement of 6TBSP soy protein powder(called Carb Solutions[tm]), 8oz 1% milk, 2 tbsp dry milk, Soy powder is choc or strawberry or vanilla flavored BTW. Gives 32 grams protein and tastes ok. I'm pushing around 150-175 grams protein / day currently and drinking plenty of fluids including cranberry juice to protect my kidneys(64 oz/day). You have to remember though, I'm currently only capable of eating 3 oz(Volume,not weight) of food per meal due to stomach surgery. As I get closer to my goal weight, I will start increasing my food volume and will eventually be able to eat 8 oz volume per meal. I'll have to take supplements like calcium and multivitamins the rest of my life as well because of the modifacations to my body. I really had no choice though as I would have shortly died if I didn't take drastic action! NOT KIDDING ABOUT THAT EITHER! I basically made a lifelong commitment here. As to my information source for my protein intake and the minimums? I have a dietician! I am also under the care of a dietician to avoid various malabsorption issues because of the surgical changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by b12yan88
    Hey Stormcrowe. The thread got bumped so i naturally remembered your progress. Looking good there man. Since you started talking about healthy eating habits, ill tell you about mine. I take this packed multi vitamine daily. It's a really good deal and should last pretty long

    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ast/multi-pro.html

    That's the best one i have found so far.
    Another thing, even 65 grams is too little honestly. You guys should be getting much much more. I take 80 grams worth just from dairy products and a whey protein powder ( optimum whey). Then theres also meat and other foods that give me protein. I take a lot of protein, but im not a believer in the atkins. I think that thing is stupid because everyone needs carbs. But i do limit carbs to only complex fibers and grains. What reallly helpled me giving up soda, juice, candy, and other sweets is religion, haha. i gave them up for lent and it kinda just stayed. Although now i do eat sweets on the weekends, which doesn't seem to be doing much. Although im only at 10% body fat, that's how i live my life, and to me it's not suffering at all. When ever you get frustrated about eating that stuff, just think about Steak. Steak's so damn good, i don't even care about sweets anymore.
    Last edited by stormcrowe; 06-24-2005 at 07:57 PM.
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xdefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    278

  32. #32
    The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Reputation: stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    Good job! Wow! Not Bad!

    By the way, an update on MY progress! I have now lost 186 pounds! Not bad for a hair over 4 months! I have another 14 pounds til I hit the loss of a "Clyde" in weight! That's right, 200 off then! I'd say a couple more weeks til that benchmark! Here's my current pic in the progress!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

  33. #33
    Ex-Clydesdale
    Reputation: Dwayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    600
    I had to laugh... his name's Dwayne, so is mine... he lived in rural central PA, where I'm living now... he had a reputation for being able to eat anything, which is the same reputation I enjoy amongst friends and family... we both weigh ~210 lbs, do a lot of weight lifting, and ride.. hell, I wonder if we both went to Penn State.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

  34. #34
    The Duuude, man...
    Reputation: ncj01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,537
    Quote Originally Posted by vegancx
    I graduated from high school at 240 lbs. Completely inactive. On my way to on even higher weight. 44 inch waist

    Went to college, went vegan, discoved cycling

    Currently, I'm around 165, 34 inch waist.
    Ultra cool. How tall are you??
    FS: Everything

  35. #35
    The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Reputation: stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    Good job! How tall am I???

    6'3" is height, and 186 pounds off now as of yesterday!
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    Ultra cool. How tall are you??
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

  36. #36
    The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Reputation: stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    Good job! I know it's off topic, but.........

    I just enrolled in school for a degree in nursing! It's a 2 year program for an RN license! Think how handy I'll be around MTB trails! This is off topic, but kinda on as well as it's part of my recovery process!

    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrowe
    6'3" is height, and 186 pounds off now as of yesterday!
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xdefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    278

    Too Funny - Spelled the same way .....

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne
    I had to laugh... his name's Dwayne, so is mine... he lived in rural central PA, where I'm living now... he had a reputation for being able to eat anything, which is the same reputation I enjoy amongst friends and family... we both weigh ~210 lbs, do a lot of weight lifting, and ride.. hell, I wonder if we both went to Penn State.
    Ha Ha, that's Williamsport to be exact, and no, didn't go to Penn State =;-( But I am a huge fan, used to have season tickets as a youngster. I am a little over 210 these days as I had a little rebound after my last contest back in October. Two straight years of extreme dieting took it's toll on me! This is the first summer I have had to enjoy myself in 2 years. Cookouts and beer, and since you're in Central PA, that's Yeungling to be exact !!

    Dwayne

  38. #38
    College
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrowe
    I just enrolled in school for a degree in nursing! It's a 2 year program for an RN license! Think how handy I'll be around MTB trails! This is off topic, but kinda on as well as it's part of my recovery process!
    what was your profession before ?

  39. #39
    The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Reputation: stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    My former profession!

    I used to be a long haul truck driver! I worked 48 states, Canada and Alaska. I also worked overseas in the Middle East with Haliburton and in Siberia working for BP developing pipelines as an equipment hauler. Before that I was a soldier.
    Quote Originally Posted by b12yan88
    what was your profession before ?
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    Ultra cool. How tall are you??
    5'9" and now 160... still a little big for my height, but I can't lose any more weight without starting to lose power.

  41. #41
    The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Reputation: stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    ... and if we just ... Just a quick update on my loss in progress

    I am pleased to announce I have officially lost a "Clydesdale" in weight. I've lost 210 pounds so far and only 121 to go! I now weigh in at 371, feeling strong and still riding 5-10 miles a day, going to 10+ next week!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stormcrowe; 08-04-2005 at 05:51 PM. Reason: additional text
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    36
    Stormcrowe, keep rockin' it brotha. You're doing an amazing job. Wouldn't you say it's almost time to treat yourself to a new bike for reaching one of your goals?

    I hope in a few months to be able to post a decent success story. In the last 35 days I've been eating and drinking like a health freak and have successfully dropped about 12 pounds. I'm putting in about 120-150 miles a week on the bike, running around 15 miles a week for the upcoming cross season, and working out for toning the midsection/upper-body. I'm currently standing at 6'4 with a weight of 257, and hope to be near 235 in two months. I'm trying to get rid of my lineman physique, and turn into the sprinter I have the potential to be.

  43. #43
    The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Reputation: stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    Here's my before pic, The after is in my prior post

    This pic was taken at St Vincent Hospital right before my surgery! I'm currently just over 360 pounds and started at 581!. Seeing is believing! Note my wheelchair, I could barely stand up, much less walk more than 50'! Much less ride a bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrowe
    I am pleased to announce I have officially lost a "Clydesdale" in weight. I've lost 210 pounds so far and only 121 to go! I now weigh in at 371, feeling strong and still riding 5-10 miles a day, going to 10+ next week!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stormcrowe; 08-11-2005 at 05:43 PM.
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13

    game on.. !

    Ok.. Im just getting started back on the bike.. Below is a pic when I was at 313.. a few months ago.. I am currently at 292..



    Back in 1996 I went from 272 down to 220 by hitting the gym and mtb'ing almost evey day in conjunction with eating 6 small healthy meals a day..

    Hopefully I can repeat and maintain.. It is amazing what a career, wife, and kid can do to a body if you let your guard down..

    Anyways.. I pick up my bike with the new frame tomorrow.. (i broke the old one).. Gonna get to break it in this weekend.. :-)..
    Jerid Johnson
    www.jeridjohnson.com

  45. #45
    The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Reputation: stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    You can do it! No Problem!

    Hey there OnePhatMoPho!@ I guarantee if you commit yourself to the effort, you can achieve miracles! Believe me, I know from experience! To understand what I'm talking about, go to http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com and read it from the beginning
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePhatMoPho
    Ok.. Im just getting started back on the bike.. Below is a pic when I was at 313.. a few months ago.. I am currently at 292..



    Back in 1996 I went from 272 down to 220 by hitting the gym and mtb'ing almost evey day in conjunction with eating 6 small healthy meals a day..

    Hopefully I can repeat and maintain.. It is amazing what a career, wife, and kid can do to a body if you let your guard down..

    Anyways.. I pick up my bike with the new frame tomorrow.. (i broke the old one).. Gonna get to break it in this weekend.. :-)..
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

  46. #46
    I need a new name
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    893
    Stormcrow- wow, what an inspiration. More people need to read your story and get motivated to get off their rears.

    In November of 2003 I was weighing in around 265lbs. I decided I had to drop some pounds. I started in a gym trying to run and lift weights. Slowly some weight strated coming off. In Feb 2004 I bought my current mountain bike. I had started mountain biking in the mid-90s but lacked motivation to ride much. The new bike kicked in my motivation. I started riding 2-3 times a week and felt my health improve and weight drop. In December of 2004 I picked up a road bike. Now in August of 2005 I weigh in at 192lbs. My weight has somewhat leveled off but my body fat percentage is droping. My original goal was 190, pretty darned close to where I'm at. I don't plan on stopping here, I will continue to cycle and maintain a healty diet. If my weight drops to the 180s that is great, if it stays around 190 that is fine too. My last doctors visit he asked how my asthma was doing. I told him I quit taking my medication since I felt fine without it. On his breathing meter I scored higher without the medication than I had 6 months before using meds. I ran my first 5k this summer, I beat my personal goal by almost 2 minutes but also won my class. I've never felt better in my life.

  47. #47
    Figment of Imagination
    Reputation: soundezgn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    49

    Bravo to all!

    I have to admit I've been a lurker for quite a while, but you all have inspired me to chime in... I have to begin by saying bravo to everyone here... Each and every one of you has had to work hard, and it's really paying off.

    As for myself, I started out riding seriously in 1988. The first two years were strictly road, riding up to 5000+ miles a year. Then I bought my first Mountain style bike... An early Bianchi steel frame (back when suspension didn't exist). I've been hooked on the trails ever since. I finished High School in 1992 weighing in at 143 lbs.

    I stopped riding for the most part though college, due to money and studies, and then working crazy hours for a job that had me jumping over the place. At my ten year High School reunion, I was at my heaviest weight yet... 238 lbs.

    Since then, I've been working on walking at lunch, riding as often as I can (two year old at home, and the wife can't cook), and watching what I'm eating. I'm down to 210lbs now, and I was having trouble getting motivated to make the next step. I've now found my motivation, and I promise to keep going, if only to keep up with all of you!!!!!

    Thanks!

    Jeff (aka Soundezgn)

  48. #48
    The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Reputation: stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    166

    Thanks Hank!

    By the way, Hank, Cumulative loss is now 220 pounds! I've slowed down, but I'm picking up muscle mass as well as bone mass from the strength training and cycling! Load bearing exercise dontcha know! Last weekend I did log 99 miles on the mountainbike and am training up for the OCT 1 DINO endurance ride in Warsaw, IN. Woohoo! Look out world! By the way, I still weigh in at about 360, but to my eyes, I'm the skinniest 360 I've ever seen! I'm also a week into Nursing school, thas' right, an overaged college student at 45 years old!
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly_hank
    Stormcrow- wow, what an inspiration. More people need to read your story and get motivated to get off their rears.

    In November of 2003 I was weighing in around 265lbs. I decided I had to drop some pounds. I started in a gym trying to run and lift weights. Slowly some weight strated coming off. In Feb 2004 I bought my current mountain bike. I had started mountain biking in the mid-90s but lacked motivation to ride much. The new bike kicked in my motivation. I started riding 2-3 times a week and felt my health improve and weight drop. In December of 2004 I picked up a road bike. Now in August of 2005 I weigh in at 192lbs. My weight has somewhat leveled off but my body fat percentage is droping. My original goal was 190, pretty darned close to where I'm at. I don't plan on stopping here, I will continue to cycle and maintain a healty diet. If my weight drops to the 180s that is great, if it stays around 190 that is fine too. My last doctors visit he asked how my asthma was doing. I told him I quit taking my medication since I felt fine without it. On his breathing meter I scored higher without the medication than I had 6 months before using meds. I ran my first 5k this summer, I beat my personal goal by almost 2 minutes but also won my class. I've never felt better in my life.
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

  49. #49
    Ride lots...
    Reputation: DSDuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    848
    I was in the worst shape of my life in the summer of '03 when I started MTB'ing. I weighed 270lbs, and at 5'10", it wasn't pretty. I got down to 240lbs without even really changing my eatng habits--just riding 4-5 times a week. A month ago I decided to start eating right--no more junk food or soda .....Now I've lost 10 more pounds and am feeling much better. Only 30 more to go.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3
    I've been reading this thread for a long time and I find it incredibly inspiring. When I turned 30 it seemed that my metabolism hit a brick wall, it was now hard to lose weight. I found my 6'2" body was slowly creeping up to 240lbs. I bought a bike and I loved it. It gave me a feeling of tranquility and freedom, like the entire world just shuts down for a few hours.

    In June, I had my lungs almost give out on me after a long ass ride.. smoking for 13 years will do that. I quit immediately after that, it scared the **** out of me. I have tried to quit cold turkey before, but this time it had a permanence. I could either ride or smoke, but not both.

    So now its September, and I'm down to around 229. When the weather is decent I take my bike out for a few hours around Calgary and I go to the gym pretty much everyday. I think my muscle gains are offsetting fat loss weight-wise. I haven't touched a cigarette since and my blood pressure is dropping (was 144/95 before biking).

    It is not easy. When I start my rides, my legs feel like they are being mauled by pitbulls. I still eat too much though. I need portion control. Its damn hard, but I want to own 200lbs.

    Thanks for inspiration.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Macro Photos: Post A Clean Shot...
    By Speedub.Nate in forum Passion
    Replies: 241
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 10:55 AM
  2. How do I post photos in the Gallery Section?
    By Spunge in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 08:57 PM
  3. Newbie....how do I post photos?
    By Braunstein Freres in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 06:33 PM
  4. I cant post photos.
    By Johnny Hair Boy in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 03:07 PM
  5. Post ride Post with photos....
    By screampint in forum Passion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 12:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •