Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    The Duuude, man...

Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's

I don't have an "after" photo yet of my self, becuase I'm still "during."

However, I thought it would be good to get a single thread together with all the before/after success pictures. Lets keep it simple and concise:

1) Before & After Weight (or dimensions/etc)
    2) Before & After Photos
    3) How long it took to transform yourself
    4) Brief Statement of how you did it

Hypothetical Example:

Hi, I'm bob, I went from 280 to 220 in 10 months by cutting fried food and soda's and riding 3x wk, here's my photo's:

and

FS: Everything

The Duuude, man...
    Come on ya'll....this board was littered with success stories when it first popped up...lets get them gathered up!!
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    I was 230 lbs. on Jan. 1st. I'm now 195 lbs. and still working at a lower target. I just got on that f%$&ing trainer every day and stopped the snacking. Losing is a lot harder that gaining at 51.Weather is getting better, so, I'll be able to do real rides almost daily. There is a trail a quarter mile from the house. I guess the real trick is sticking with it and keeping the weight off. I tend to get lazy in the fall when the snow starts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

ok here it goes

Feb 1 2002 found me at UCLA in a surgeons office talking about preperations for bariactric surgery the following may. My weight...458lbs. at 6'1" 41yrs. old I wore a size 60" waist and was obviously a mess. I started a diet/exercise routine to try and lose as much as possible before the surgery. I had so much sucess that I cancelled the surgery. Later that year I took up mtb. By thanksgiving 02 I was down to 320lbs., but had a bad mtb accident that kept me off the bike for a extended time. Fast forward to thanksgiving 04, I weigh in at 380lbs. and decide I have to get serious about my health. I take up roadbiking and got hooked, this morn I stepped on the scales at 275lbs, my goal is to get down to 220lbs., and now I'm confident I'll be able to. I wear a size 42"-44" waist now. So far this year I've logged over 1400 miles on the road and have done 3 organized centurys. The trick now is to balance my road riding with mtbing. I'll post 3 pics ,1 at 458, 1 at 380 , and 1 at 280.
    Jim S.
    OK HERES THE PICS!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bigkahunadad; 05-05-2005 at 06:42 AM. Reason: add pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    OMG!! It's been so long since I saw you at that prior weight... I'd forgotten how ya looked then... have I mentioned today how proud I am of you???

I am bigkahunas lil sis and a roadie as well... gave my mtn bike to my nephew, kahunas boy, since he needed a bigger size as he is growing...

anyway, if THIS post doesn't inspire you, nothing will! we have ridden the 3 centuries together... our first 3 for both of us... kahuna is just getting stronger and stronger and really challenges me to keep up now! (insert I have to draft him to keep up these days! LOL) It's so fun to have such a great hobby in common with my big brother, and gives us an endless source of conversation and a great way to spend time together away from TV, phones and pagers!

bigkahunadad... you really are an inspiration...

The former Blue 'Goose

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Sure

In 2004 I lost close to 60 pounds and over the winter gained some back.
    More on that later.

I'm still trying to lose that but the new job and the wifes' health problems aren't
    making it easier.

Last summer it was easy to lose the weight since my job had been outsourced
    and after looking for jobs in the AM all I had to do was ride. Almost 2500 miles
    later....

Here's some before and after pics:

Before Just Big - Sheesh:

After I'd lost about 60 pounds:

My rides:
    http://pod.ath.cx/bikedecide/bikedecide.html

My Specialized Epic Dual Boinger on the left, my Giant TCR2 roadie on the right.
    If you click on the bike icons you can go to a series of ride reports I've done around
    those rides.

My wife has lost over 150 pounds since those days and she's a lot faster on the
    bike - she initially rode a recumbent but now has a mountain bike and is looking
    at getting a road bike. I'll see if she's agreeable to having her own pics
    posted.
    Last edited by aliensporebomb; 08-23-2006 at 02:56 PM. Reason: to show the photos instead of links

BODYSNATCHER

Listen! Okay I'm In...

Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    I don't have an "after" photo yet of my self, becuase I'm still "during."

However, I thought it would be good to get a single thread together with all the before/after success pictures. Lets keep it simple and concise:

1) Before & After Weight (or dimensions/etc)
    2) Before & After Photos
    3) How long it took to transform yourself
    4) Brief Statement of how you did it

Hypothetical Example:

Hi, I'm bob, I went from 280 to 220 in 10 months by cutting fried food and soda's and riding 3x wk, here's my photo's:

and

Started riding in January 2003. 245 buck naked.
    I'm down to 194 and in better shape than ever, ride 3X or more a week, RHR is 49, and I want to lose at least 10 more, ideaaly 15, 180 seems reasonable. Oh, I'm 41 and 5'9".
    Pix to follow as soon as I get some recent ones to do b4 and after. I enjoy these kind o' threads, they inspire me. I sometimes feel like noone knows the "thrill of fitness"( hey- book title? ).

Has anyone else hit this wall, that is, have you guys experienced a huge slowdown in the pounds lost after a certain point/ It took me three months to lose twenty, another six to lose another twnty, and now over a year to lose the last 10-15. The doc says I'm very heathy across the board i.e. very low cholesteral, good overall health, etc. She says it's the muscle from riding that I gained which accounts for the difficulty in losing the rest...
    Well?
    High up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home...

Hoss Dee-Lux'n It
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mr magu
    The doc says I'm very heathy across the board i.e. very low cholesteral, good overall health, etc. She says it's the muscle from riding that I gained which accounts for the difficulty in losing the rest...
    Well?
    Yup. Same thing happened to me when I started in the gym. Lost about 25lbs in a about 4 months, then I could lose nothing. Thing was all my clothing got looser on me, but the weight stayed the same.

Basically it was the muscle gain off setting the weight loss.

mtbr member
    I used to weigh 215 w/ 12% body fat then I got a really cool girlfriend. Four months later I got a dog. Two years later I weigh 240lbs and have an unknown amount of body fat. Good news is can still buy bike parts just as fast as I was I could two years ago.

texas proud!
    i have only been riding about 2 years now and not all that much until just recently.i own a 2003 redline monocog. i started out at about 325 or so.. im 6'0 .. my bike is a singlespeed. i am not at 295. i just changed cogs on my bike to a 16t cog so its a little more challenging to ride for me wich is good. i havent lost a ton fo weight but its a start and i know im getting stronger cause i can do things that i used to not be able to do on bike such as riding distances and hills.this pic is of me last year at 320 at south padre island sept 2004.im on the far left with the greyt shirt on and shorts

today i feel great and have a ton of energy i started commuting to work everyday now on my singlespeed and riding about 2 hours after i get off of work almost everyday.the ride is only about 30 moinutes but it has a couple good hills that i dread riding almost everday.i consider riding my SS training till i can afford a mountain bike.i am thinking about getting a bigger chainwheel pretty soon too within the next 6 months or so. hopefully in a year i'll have a mountain bike and be kicking some ass here in austin on the trails. best of luck to each of you.i have a long ways to go myself and seeing the weight some of you guys lost inspires me to keep on riding thanks!

The Amazing Shrinking Man

Good job! Call me "The Amazing Shrinking Man"!!

On March 11 this year, I weighed in at 581 pounds. I went through Bariatric Surgery on the date of March 11, 2005. The posted weight here is my presurgical weighin to calculate anesthesia needed for the Surgery. My current weighin is at 462 as of this morning! Hooah! I have recently taken up MTB again as I am again capable of doing it ! March I was in a wheelchair because of my weight. I am still on supplemental oxygen therapy, but am now riding easy trails(Easy for most people, that is!). I carry my O2 in a backpack sleeve my provider found for me, so I can ride with my O2 on. I am also walking 1-2 miles daily now either outside or on a treadmill when the weather is bad. I bought a used Royce Union for $50.00. I know, a Huffy, but it's what I can afford for now and it's holding up well with my big carcass riding it offroad! Needless to say, I'm not doing any freestyle riding(No drops or jumps) but WTH! I'm back in the saddle and riding again! This is a HUGE triumph for me as I wasn't sure I'd even make it this far. Even better, my Diabetes has apparently gone away as I am no longer using my insulin and my blood sugars are holding dead on normal! All in all, I think I will definately reach my goal weight of 250 pounds by next Summer! Here's a link to my blog, The Amazing Shrinking Man if you want to follow my progress: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com . I'll post some pics as soon as I can get them shrunk down to an acceptable size for the servers here.
    Last edited by stormcrowe; 05-21-2005 at 07:32 PM.
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

College
    Jun 2004
    I am not a clydesdale and i don't post in this forum, but people like you just inspire me. It's great to hear stories like these.
    Great to hear the progress, but HUFFY...WAHH. I'm betting if you get a real bike, you'll loose weight twice as fast. Actually I guaruntee it.

Goodluck
    Bryan

... and if we just ... Thanks Bry!

Quote Originally Posted by b12yan88
    I am not a clydesdale and i don't post in this forum, but people like you just inspire me. It's great to hear stories like these.
    Great to hear the progress, but HUFFY...WAHH. I'm betting if you get a real bike, you'll loose weight twice as fast. Actually I guaruntee it.

Goodluck
    Bryan
    Thanks Bryan! I appreciate the support! Actually, it's nice the response I am generally getting from the cycling community. I've found cyclists to generally a GREAT bunch of people! Very few bad apples, so what can I say! As to a better bike, I'm saving up for a 29er to eventually replace the ol' Royce Union! By then I'll probably have it completely worn out anyway!

Good job! I just thought I would brag a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by stormcrowe
    Thanks Bryan! I appreciate the support! Actually, it's nice the response I am generally getting from the cycling community. I've found cyclists to generally a GREAT bunch of people! Very few bad apples, so what can I say! As to a better bike, I'm saving up for a 29er to eventually replace the ol' Royce Union! By then I'll probably have it completely worn out anyway!
    By the way, y'all, I have an update on my weight loss! As of yesterday, I have lost 136 pounds! Hoooah! Just thought I would brag a bit!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Okay I'm in...

Okay . Last season I got myself a brand new mtn bike with great intentions to ride. I had quit smoking in Jan 2004 cold turkey...gained the weight. Then last spring I had to undergo 2 major surgeries and spent months recovering. The weight piled on!
    Stress from work didn't help any.

This spring I finally got fed up at work and packed up and moved out west. I weighed 276 when i left and am now down around 247lb. I picked up a KONA Dawg Primo at the end of april and have been riding it ever since. I ride at least 4 times a week and race every thursday night. Tonights race included 1400 feet of elevation.

Ultimately my goal will be too get my weight under 200lb.

... and if we just ... Way To Go, Ski!

Quote Originally Posted by skihillguy
    Okay . Last season I got myself a brand new mtn bike with great intentions to ride. I had quit smoking in Jan 2004 cold turkey...gained the weight. Then last spring I had to undergo 2 major surgeries and spent months recovering. The weight piled on!
    Stress from work didn't help any.

This spring I finally got fed up at work and packed up and moved out west. I weighed 276 when i left and am now down around 247lb. I picked up a KONA Dawg Primo at the end of april and have been riding it ever since. I ride at least 4 times a week and race every thursday night. Tonights race included 1400 feet of elevation.

Ultimately my goal will be too get my weight under 200lb.
    WAY TO GO! Keep up the great work! Win , lose or draw, you're still riding! Keep up this level and you WILL make your goal! I know taking riding back up has done wonders for me!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I guess I hardly qualify as a clyde anymore, so I feel a bit funny posting. That said, here goes...

I graduated from high school at 240 lbs. Completely inactive. On my way to on even higher weight. 44 inch waist
    Went to college, went vegan, discoved cycling, lost 60 lbs.
    Hurt my knees, then broke my foot, gained 30 lbs.
    Graduated from college at 212 lbs.
    Moved to NJ, started grad school, joined the cycling team, started working with a coach, lost about 50 lbs.

Currently, I'm around 165, 34 inch waist.
    It's been about a 6 year process, but I think I've finally changed my lifestyle enough to stay within a healthy weight range. Funny thing is, none of my teammates have any notion of how big I once was.

Good job! This is a work in progress post!

I know, a road pic, but this is me down by 161 pounds at this point! This is a 7 mile ride I was on! I'm feeling pretty good here! Progress! Wait til I hit my goal weight!

Gus, just Gus.
    May 2005
    Way to go fellas! About 2 months ago I has a serious look at my diet and fitness. I have cut out most sugar, carbs and other "problem" foods. No more fast food, no more soda. I also started riding seriously again (3-4 x/week) and I feel like a new man! I have dropped about 15lbs and feel really strong on the bike again. I am at 221lbs (down from 237) as of this morning and feel confident I will reach my goal of 200lbs by the end of the summer. I will get up a couple pics as soon as I can dig 'em out.

Stormcrowe: Your BLOG has been a real inspiration for me brother! Keep it up and know that I am routing for you!

Thanks GusTopher!

Actually, my blog helps me as well. It allows me to vent frustration and gives me tangible proof of how well I am doing! You might keep some kind of journal yourself to track your progress on weight loss and miles as well! It helps keep frustration at bay. By the way, don't forget the vitamins and keep your protien to a MINIMUM of 65 grams per day! DO NOT GO BELOW that figure! Don't forget to eat Beans and rice at least once a week, you need some carbs and beans and rice is an EXCELLENT source of complex amino acids your body needs and CANNOT make even if you are taking vitamin supplements. DOn't forget vitamin B12 either, you can get liquid B12 at Walmart for less than $10.00! Put a dropper of it under your tongue at least once a week. It'll jack up your metabolism and give you scads more energy! Not to mention it's good for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by GusTopher
    Way to go fellas! About 2 months ago I has a serious look at my diet and fitness. I have cut out most sugar, carbs and other "problem" foods. No more fast food, no more soda. I also started riding seriously again (3-4 x/week) and I feel like a new man! I have dropped about 15lbs and feel really strong on the bike again. I am at 221lbs (down from 237) as of this morning and feel confident I will reach my goal of 200lbs by the end of the summer. I will get up a couple pics as soon as I can dig 'em out.

Stormcrowe: Your BLOG has been a real inspiration for me brother! Keep it up and know that I am routing for you!

Gus, just Gus.
    May 2005
    Thanks for the tips, I am pretty much following that to the letter, minus the beans and rice. Maybe I will incorporate that into the diet!

gentle like
    You guys rock. Stormcrowe, man, I don't know what to say. That's focking awesome.

I have had the pleasure of watching my mom drop from 220 lbs to 150 ... she can borrow clothes from my wife, and I have never seen her so delighted and confident. She's in her early fifties. My stepdad is down from 310 to 230 ... also pretty cool.

And both thanks to biking ... they both do road exclusively, but I still love them. My mom racked up 5000 miles last season, placed second in a triathlon, and my stepdad wasn't too far behind (in terms of road miles).

Just keep riding.

Of course, I should mention that eating at my mom's haus is no longer the absolute experience in rich, creamy hedonism it once was, but I'll take the trade.
    Last edited by kept man; 06-23-2005 at 10:55 AM.

Alright, let's ride!
    Hmmm, not sure how to start this but on 12/1/04 I weighed in at my all time high of 220 pounds. I decided it was time to start losing some weight. I started going to the gym 5 - 6 times a week for 2 - 3 hours a day. I mostly did cardio but I did some weights as well. I also really paid attention to what I ate. For breakfast I would have brown rice and oatmeal. I would have a protein shake around 10:00 then for lunch I would have either rice or soup. About 2:00 I would have another protein shake then I would have a light dinner, usually a 6" sub from Subway. I would have another protein shake around 8:00 at night. During this time I was only getting on my bike about once a week. By 3/28/05 I was down to 183 pounds. Since then I have been spending much more time on the bike and I am only getting to the gym about once a week to work on my upper body. Right now I weigh 174 pounds. I have lost a total of 46 pounds so far. I am hoping by the beginning of next years race season I will be down to 165 pounds. A couple of other important numbers my body fat has gone down from 24.7% to 15.9%. I am really paying more attention to those numbers now than I am my weight. I want to be down to the 12% - 13% by December.

Here is the closest thing I could find to a before picture. Unfortunately my computer crashed so I lost most of my pictures. In the picture I was only about 205 pounds.
    The second picture was this past weekend.
    Last edited by LowCel; 06-23-2005 at 12:39 PM.

Gus, just Gus.
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Hmmm, not sure how to start this but on 12/1/04 I weighed in at my all time high of 220 pounds. I decided it was time to start losing some weight. I started going to the gym 5 - 6 times a week for 2 - 3 hours a day. I mostly did cardio but I did some weights as well. I also really paid attention to what I ate. For breakfast I would have brown rice and oatmeal. I would have a protein shake around 10:00 then for lunch I would have either rice or soup. About 2:00 I would have another protein shake then I would have a light dinner, usually a 6" sub from Subway. I would have another protein shake around 8:00 at night. During this time I was only getting on my bike about once a week. By 3/28/05 I was down to 183 pounds. Since then I have been spending much more time on the bike and I am only getting to the gym about once a week to work on my upper body. Right now I weigh 174 pounds. I have lost a total of 46 pounds so far. I am hoping by the beginning of next years race season I will be down to 165 pounds. A couple of other important numbers my body fat has gone down from 24.7% to 15.9%. I am really paying more attention to those numbers now than I am my weight. I want to be down to the 12% - 13% by December.

Here is the closest thing I could find to a before picture. Unfortunately my computer crashed so I lost most of my pictures. In the picture I was only about 205 pounds.
    The second picture was this past weekend.
    Awesome, you lost weight and gained Ellsworth! I need to start working on that part of things...

Alright, let's ride!
    LOL, yeah funny how things work out. The bike in the first picture wasn't even mine, it was the shop owners. At the time I rode a Superlight but I had shipped it out to Moab. I ended up riding there for about a week. I can't wait to go back there and ride now that there is less to have to carry up the climbs.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast