Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    There are lots of amazing stories here. I was fastest at 170lbs, strongest at 180lbs... now I'm around 205 at 5'10". Once I turned 30, I couldn't lose the weight as easily as I used to... it just keeps piling on. I haven't seen much mention of beer. I'm afraid my down fall is beer and pizza. Other than pizza, I don't really eat fatty or junk food. Beer and pizza is right up ther with sex and mountain biking. Pizza I can do without, but beer... do I really have to give it up?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am 6 ft tall Was 17st 9 lbs (247 lbs) now 15st 6 lbs. (216 lbs) And feel alot fittter riding as ive development some pretty big leg muscles from all the rode riding ive been doing riding in my big ring.

After getting the first picture taken I started to ride alot, I could still do with getting leaner as i want to race in the dh nps next year.
    Last edited by the_guvnor; 09-23-2005 at 03:47 AM.

Recovering couch patato
    You guys are all studs.
    I'm blessed with a pretty fast metabolism. After 25 though it started to pile on. Not mor than 20lb over my perfect weight, but enough to feel out of shape.
    What seems to have made the biggest impact has been juicing (OJ and GrapefruitJ), and communting daily.
    After a winter of this above diet (lots of pizza, I'll never give that up), I lost the job, and by sleeping late thus skipping breakfast, I seem to have shrunk my stomach. I can't eat the same portions I used to.

Some obvious tips from unexpereinced me :
    *As an advise for people trying to lose weight, I'd say : try to make longer rides. 3-hour and longer rides just add up so nicely!
    *Juice rather than soda or beer, obviously. Juice ain't that bad at all! when I feel like a snack, I grab the OJ or GJ carton and enjoy that. Dry cornflakes (no additives) are a decent patato chips replacements. I also like cream crackers whcih seem sortof healthy.
    *I've switched to smaller pizza's. Same satisfaction, less effort to get the last slices in. Cheaper too. 350g pizza's are great. Only sometimes I add a bit of ham, cheese and pizza herbs for flavour, depending on my appetite.
    *Do some intervals. The muscles seems to eat up fat like mad after good anaerobic sprints/climbs. Metabolism skyrockets.
    *I always tell people that if they manage to get in 10+ hours in rides per week, they'll have a hard time eating enough to gain weight, and I'm pretty sure this unfounded theory is true. Don't eat more than you really need though.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_guvnor
    I am 6 ft tall Was 17st 9 lbs (247 lbs) now 15st 6 lbs. (216 lbs) And feel alot fittter riding as ive development some pretty big leg muscles from all the rode riding ive been doing riding in my big ring.

After getting the first picture taken I started to ride alot, I could still do with getting leaner as i want to race in the dh nps next year.
    It looked like you were having more fun when you were bigger!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

Weird huh?

You guys rock!

Congrats to all who've dared expose themselves on this forum.

Lemme tell you the other side of the picture. No better, just different.

I weigh 185. That's a 5 year goal for myself. I'm 6'1.

When I started taking a serious look at my health I was 37 years old. I weighed anywhere between 146 and 151. I raced bikes 14 years. I could sit on the bike for 6+hrs in stage races, but couldn't walk up the stairs at home. Healthy was not me. I ate, and rode. That's about it. Up at 3 am to eat, so I could go back to bed.

I got off the bike for 5 years. Took up weight training and did it slow and right. Actually got up to 200lbs for a month or so without freaking too badly.

It's all mental. Everyone has the ability physically to do what they need, but the head games are another matter. I never wanted to 'gain weight', I just wanted to be all around a lot healthier than I was. 5000 kcals a day and still losing weight is not a viable way to live.

Bikes aren't evil to me anymore. They were for a long time. I enjoy the hell out of it again, and can be passed on the trail without the need chase someone down. Ususally.

So kudos to you folks. Clydesdale implies strong. Body and mind.

Cheers,
    Mike

Team Chilidog!
    Well, I'm at 200 lbs, 5'4 right now. Just starting training seriously, and I'd like to climb better. In order to climb better, I need to do some gram shaving on myself

My goal is down 20 lbs by March and able to ride the long recreational loop at Sea Otter.

The Amazing Shrinking Man

Good job! Just an update on my weight! -280

Well, just to pass along the news here on my "work in progress", I am now down by 280 pounds! I'm weighing in at a svelte 301 now! My doctors are absolutely in shock and I'm currently in the planning stages of a road ride this coming summer from Indiana to Key West, FL! I'll of course be passing through KY, TN, GA, and FL along the way, and will be looking for folks to ride with along the way! I'm trying to line up some sponsorship for this ride and intend to document the trip via my blog. I'm not soliciting donations here on the forum before anyone misinterprets my intent here, I'm looking for suggestions on how to round up corporate sponsorship from oh, for example a bike manufacturer or that type of thing! Well, keep spinning all of ya! See you on the trail or road sometime! Remember though, you can't recognize me by the oxygen tank on my back anymore! I definately don't have to use it to ride anymore! The BP is down to 126/64 and my at rest heart rate is down to 68 with an ejection fraction UP to 88% from 62% (This means my heart blood output is WAY up!). I am off ALL my cardiac meds as well as still off insulin and maintaining normal blood sugar! I truly believe I've gotten my life back here! If I think about going back to my old ways, I just take a look at my picture of my self while I was still in a wheelchair because I couldn't stand more than 5 minutes or walk more than 50 feet! Well, see y'all later and stop by my blog and visit! http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com is the URL!
    Last edited by stormcrowe; 10-30-2005 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Adding a picture
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    all that comes to mind is: Incredible!! keep up the good work

mtbr member
    Stormcrowe you are a example of what dedication and hard work can do. I am so happy for you that you got your life back on track. I have kept tabs of your weight loss through this post and your website. Currently I am trying to help my father to get his health back in order and have shown him your posts and pictures when he comes over for visits. He is simply amazed at you determination and perseverance. Keep it up!!!!!!!
    Last edited by mb3designs; 10-30-2005 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Smile That actually made my day! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mb3designs
    Stormcrowe you are a example of what dedication and hard work can do. I am so happy for you that you got your life back on track. I have kept tabs of your weight loss through this post and your website. Currently I am trying to help my father to get his health back in order and have shown him your posts and pictures when he comes over for visits. He is simply amazed at you determination and perseverance. Keep it up!!!!!!!
    Thank you so much, you have absolutely no idea how much that statement just lifted my day! If you want, you can have your Dad PM me through MTB review or I'm setting up a group through google at http://groups.google.com/group/The-A...ing-Man?Ink=li if he ever wants to just have a dialog. I would be willing to help any way I can. If he does, tell him I want to keep things anonymous and to set up a nickname(for his protection!) as the groip will hopefully evolve into a public forum. I only have a couple of posts there now but will develope it further. I'm arranging to have a Dr of Psychology run a thread for me and a nutritionist as well on another. I don't know what health issue your Dad has, but if I can help in any way, no problem!

mtbr member
    Thanks Stormcrowe, I'll relay the information to my dad. Keep up the hard work and perseverance, you will reach your goal soon. Good luck on the deer hunting, gun season starts here in NC soon.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE]

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by mb3designs
    Thanks Stormcrowe, I'll relay the information to my dad. Keep up the hard work and perseverance, you will reach your goal soon. Good luck on the deer hunting, gun season starts here in NC soon.
    Just a little update for those of you following my weight loss! I've dropped 321 pounds now! I gotta say, I'm feeling better! I think you'll be able to tell the one I was at 581 and now at 260! The 581 pound pic was taken actually in Feb this year just before I went through bariatric surgery.

I throw poo

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by stormcrowe
    Just a little update for those of you following my weight loss! I've dropped 321 pounds now! I gotta say, I'm feeling better! I think you'll be able to tell the one I was at 581 and now at 260! The 581 pound pic was taken actually in Feb this year just before I went through bariatric surgery.
    That is phenominal, man. That is one of the best stories I've seen. I hadn't seen this thread before today, and seeing the progress you've made is a real inspiration. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I might as well jump on the bandwagon, so here goes

First off I'm 5'10 and now @ 267 as of this morning.

In April 2004, I had been completely exercise free, job free and school free(I dropped out early junior year) and ate whatever I wanted for a good 2-3 years at that point and was at my high of 380lbs and only 18 years old. I finally decided to get a job... at the local wal-mart as a temp for store remodel. They liked me and kept me on permanent as an overnight stocker. That all involved very physical work and my feet were literally numb at the end of my 8 hour shifts. Even while continuing to eat the same old way I did, without extra exercise at all... I got down to about 320 by the end of 2004 and realized it wasn't impossible to lose weight afterall. So I went low carb in January 2005 and stayed that way until late august when I went to visit friends and family back in NY and ended up going off of it in favor of beer and pizza(I stayed in a friends dorm suite for a whole week at SUNY oswego... but thats another story) and I've been kinda rocky ever since then. In late August before my vacation I was at my all time low of 227 and am now at 267, down from 276 a week ago.

Thankfully I've decided to recommit to my health and will be buying my first *real* mountain bike within the next 2 weeks... a Kona Hoss. I plan on riding everywhere I go and trail riding as much as possible once I get it, as well as going to the gym 2-3 times a week. With luck I'll be under 200lbs by the end of this summer.

On a side note... I got my GED in march 2003 since dropping out of High School in november 2001. That allowed me to start going to college when I decided thats what I wanted to do earlier this year in April... Currently entering my 4th quarter of full time college with a college level GPA of 3.59. I plan on transfering to the University of Washington - Seattle for fall quarter 07 as a political science/international relations major.

So I guess I've made quite a transformation in many aspects... hopefully inspires others to make the changes that they feel are necessary in their own lives.

-----------

Me @ 380lbs in April 2004(Only picture I have of me at that size, I hated my picture getting taken and still kinda do)

Me @ ~260lbs early december

Me @ ~230lbs this summer(yeah I know... cell phone pic)

All face pics... but eh,whatever.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Knutsen

In April 2004, I had been completely exercise free, job free and school free(I dropped out early junior year) and ate whatever I wanted for a good 2-3 years at that point and was at my high of 380lbs and only 18 years old. I finally decided to get a job... at the local wal-mart as a temp for store remodel. They liked me and kept me on permanent as an overnight stocker. That all involved very physical work and my feet were literally numb at the end of my 8 hour shifts. Even while continuing to eat the same old way I did, without extra exercise at all... I got down to about 320 by the end of 2004 and realized it wasn't impossible to lose weight afterall. So I went low carb in January 2005 and stayed that way until late august when I went to visit friends and family back in NY and ended up going off of it in favor of beer and pizza(I stayed in a friends dorm suite for a whole week at SUNY oswego... but thats another story) and I've been kinda rocky ever since then. In late August before my vacation I was at my all time low of 227 and am now at 267, down from 276 a week ago.

Thankfully I've decided to recommit to my health and will be buying my first *real* mountain bike within the next 2 weeks... a Kona Hoss. I plan on riding everywhere I go and trail riding as much as possible once I get it, as well as going to the gym 2-3 times a week. With luck I'll be under 200lbs by the end of this summer.

On a side note... I got my GED in march 2003 since dropping out of High School in november 2001. That allowed me to start going to college when I decided thats what I wanted to do earlier this year in April... Currently entering my 4th quarter of full time college with a college level GPA of 3.59. I plan on transfering to the University of Washington - Seattle for fall quarter 07 as a political science/international relations major.

So I guess I've made quite a transformation in many aspects... hopefully inspires others to make the changes that they feel are necessary in their own lives.

-----------

Me @ 380lbs in April 2004(Only picture I have of me at that size, I hated my picture getting taken and still kinda do)

Congrats on getting the weight loss, getting the GED and starting college! That will pay you back 10 fold. Enjoy the riding the new Kona.

... and if we just ... Great choices!

Howdy, Knutsen! Yeah, ya made some great choices there! Keep it up! I know how difficult the "battle of the bulge" can be! Come on by my blog, I'm running a few things there luke "Spinner Saturday" and PHAT-K! Spinner is a database where I track ang graph various riders miles and PHAT-K is a 1000 meter sprint against the clock, again in competition with riders. So far, we're havin a ball! Come on by and join the fun!
    The URL is http://spaces.msn.com/members/theamazingshrinkingman/

-----------

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Good luck with the Hoss. I made the same decision about 7 months ago. I bought a Kona Hoss and I've ridden it all over, averaging about 35 miles most weeks. Between bicycling, walking, hiking, and basic no-nonsense diet changes, I've dropped from around 290 to 190.

Keep up the good work, and you'll get below 200. The keys for me have been staying consistent with the exercise and eating habits.

-----------

mtbr member
    Damn, you guys are amazing. It makes my accomplishment pale in comparison. I'm 6'3" and while not as big as most on here, a few years ago I was close to the 260 mark (stopped weighing myself after I broke 255). My wife and I both started eating better and exercising a little. We lost around 40 lbs each in about a year. I'm currently at 218.5 (as of this morning), and although she has put back on a few of her original pounds (not nearly all 40), we just got her a bike too and we'll now be working it off together.

BTW, my original goal was just to reach 225. Now I'm wondering how I'd look in the 199 range. My frame probably would allow that anyway. Besides, I'm pretty happy with what I've done so far without any major life changing steps.

It may sound terrible, but I no longer feel bad for overweight people, as I was one, and now know that it doesn't take much work to change your health for the better. Everyone's body is different and we gain/lose at different rates, and I understand that. But there is no excuse to be as large as we all once were.

CONGRATS TO ALL!!!!!

Ian

smw
    pedal pusher

Wow Stormcrowe, what a great story. Keep up the good work, and how is school going?

Sean

College
    Jun 2004
    Oh goodness..... haven't checked this in a while. Great job storm....have fun buying new clothes ?

I guess for you, you probably have to buy sizes too small just incase you grow down into them =P

What bike do you ride now ?
    College boy

Always Learning
    Great job to this point, Tom! Your story is an inspiration.

I didn't catch 60 Minutes last night, but they featured a female opera singer last night who I believe had the same surgery you had back when you were 581 pounds.

I buzzed over to your blog this AM to read up on your story. Sorry to read about your hernia and subsequent operation followed by ER visit 'scare'. Here's to a speedy and healthy recovery. Hey, you could always shave the beard off while you are waiting to heal to get that new and fresh look to meet your 2006 goals.

Your new target goal weight of 200 pounds will be exciting to see and follow as you continue on your journey. What are the plans for your blog name once you hit 200? The Amazing Shrunken Man?

BB

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Great job to this point, Tom! Your story is an inspiration.

I didn't catch 60 Minutes last night, but they featured a female opera singer last night who I believe had the same surgery you had back when you were 581 pounds.

I buzzed over to your blog this AM to read up on your story. Sorry to read about your hernia and subsequent operation followed by ER visit 'scare'. Here's to a speedy and healthy recovery. Hey, you could always shave the beard off while you are waiting to heal to get that new and fresh look to meet your 2006 goals.

Your new target goal weight of 200 pounds will be exciting to see and follow as you continue on your journey. What are the plans for your blog name once you hit 200? The Amazing Shrunken Man?

BB
    Bruce, thanks for the kind words! They are much appreciated! As to a new blog name? I haven't thought that far ahead! I have no idea!

Ben
    Feb 2006
    Before 230, current 180, goal 170 (depending on % body fat, I'm 6'1").
    It has taken me about 8 months of riding/ running/ swimming/ lifting and counting everything I eat (no fried food, soda, candy). I workout 6 days a week now. Most of my riding lately has been road though during the summer I did about even. A heart rate monitor has helped me a lot along with reading everything I could find about proper training. I use a free website to track what I weight, eat, do.

Get out of town!
    Quote Originally Posted by bemory1
    Before 230, current 180, goal 170 (depending on % body fat, I'm 6'1").
    It has taken me about 8 months of riding/ running/ swimming/ lifting and counting everything I eat (no fried food, soda, candy). I workout 6 days a week now. Most of my riding lately has been road though during the summer I did about even. A heart rate monitor has helped me a lot along with reading everything I could find about proper training. I use a free website to track what I weight, eat, do.
    What is the website?
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

Good job! Most Recent!

Here I am on a 106 mile road ride, Solo and unsupported! This is great, considering last March I was in that wheelchair and post surgical! Mar 11, 106 mile ride, exactly 1 year after my surgery and weight loss, is that a great way to celebrate it, or what? As of right now, my weight loss is going quite well still, at a cumulative 332 pounds lost. I'm now a 249, vs. the 581 I was at last march 11!

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast