Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    3.14159265358979323846…
    There are lots of amazing stories here. I was fastest at 170lbs, strongest at 180lbs... now I'm around 205 at 5'10". Once I turned 30, I couldn't lose the weight as easily as I used to... it just keeps piling on. I haven't seen much mention of beer. I'm afraid my down fall is beer and pizza. Other than pizza, I don't really eat fatty or junk food. Beer and pizza is right up ther with sex and mountain biking. Pizza I can do without, but beer... do I really have to give it up?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am 6 ft tall Was 17st 9 lbs (247 lbs) now 15st 6 lbs. (216 lbs) And feel alot fittter riding as ive development some pretty big leg muscles from all the rode riding ive been doing riding in my big ring.

After getting the first picture taken I started to ride alot, I could still do with getting leaner as i want to race in the dh nps next year.
    Last edited by the_guvnor; 09-23-2005 at 03:47 AM.

Recovering couch patato
    You guys are all studs.
    I'm blessed with a pretty fast metabolism. After 25 though it started to pile on. Not mor than 20lb over my perfect weight, but enough to feel out of shape.
    What seems to have made the biggest impact has been juicing (OJ and GrapefruitJ), and communting daily.
    After a winter of this above diet (lots of pizza, I'll never give that up), I lost the job, and by sleeping late thus skipping breakfast, I seem to have shrunk my stomach. I can't eat the same portions I used to.

Some obvious tips from unexpereinced me :
    *As an advise for people trying to lose weight, I'd say : try to make longer rides. 3-hour and longer rides just add up so nicely!
    *Juice rather than soda or beer, obviously. Juice ain't that bad at all! when I feel like a snack, I grab the OJ or GJ carton and enjoy that. Dry cornflakes (no additives) are a decent patato chips replacements. I also like cream crackers whcih seem sortof healthy.
    *I've switched to smaller pizza's. Same satisfaction, less effort to get the last slices in. Cheaper too. 350g pizza's are great. Only sometimes I add a bit of ham, cheese and pizza herbs for flavour, depending on my appetite.
    *Do some intervals. The muscles seems to eat up fat like mad after good anaerobic sprints/climbs. Metabolism skyrockets.
    *I always tell people that if they manage to get in 10+ hours in rides per week, they'll have a hard time eating enough to gain weight, and I'm pretty sure this unfounded theory is true. Don't eat more than you really need though.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_guvnor
    I am 6 ft tall Was 17st 9 lbs (247 lbs) now 15st 6 lbs. (216 lbs) And feel alot fittter riding as ive development some pretty big leg muscles from all the rode riding ive been doing riding in my big ring.

After getting the first picture taken I started to ride alot, I could still do with getting leaner as i want to race in the dh nps next year.
    It looked like you were having more fun when you were bigger!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Weird huh?

You guys rock!

Congrats to all who've dared expose themselves on this forum.

Lemme tell you the other side of the picture. No better, just different.

I weigh 185. That's a 5 year goal for myself. I'm 6'1.

When I started taking a serious look at my health I was 37 years old. I weighed anywhere between 146 and 151. I raced bikes 14 years. I could sit on the bike for 6+hrs in stage races, but couldn't walk up the stairs at home. Healthy was not me. I ate, and rode. That's about it. Up at 3 am to eat, so I could go back to bed.

I got off the bike for 5 years. Took up weight training and did it slow and right. Actually got up to 200lbs for a month or so without freaking too badly.

It's all mental. Everyone has the ability physically to do what they need, but the head games are another matter. I never wanted to 'gain weight', I just wanted to be all around a lot healthier than I was. 5000 kcals a day and still losing weight is not a viable way to live.

Bikes aren't evil to me anymore. They were for a long time. I enjoy the hell out of it again, and can be passed on the trail without the need chase someone down. Ususally.

So kudos to you folks. Clydesdale implies strong. Body and mind.

Cheers,
    Mike

The Amazing Shrinking Man

Good job! Just an update on my weight! -280

Well, just to pass along the news here on my "work in progress", I am now down by 280 pounds! I'm weighing in at a svelte 301 now! My doctors are absolutely in shock and I'm currently in the planning stages of a road ride this coming summer from Indiana to Key West, FL! I'll of course be passing through KY, TN, GA, and FL along the way, and will be looking for folks to ride with along the way! I'm trying to line up some sponsorship for this ride and intend to document the trip via my blog. I'm not soliciting donations here on the forum before anyone misinterprets my intent here, I'm looking for suggestions on how to round up corporate sponsorship from oh, for example a bike manufacturer or that type of thing! Well, keep spinning all of ya! See you on the trail or road sometime! Remember though, you can't recognize me by the oxygen tank on my back anymore! I definately don't have to use it to ride anymore! The BP is down to 126/64 and my at rest heart rate is down to 68 with an ejection fraction UP to 88% from 62% (This means my heart blood output is WAY up!). I am off ALL my cardiac meds as well as still off insulin and maintaining normal blood sugar! I truly believe I've gotten my life back here! If I think about going back to my old ways, I just take a look at my picture of my self while I was still in a wheelchair because I couldn't stand more than 5 minutes or walk more than 50 feet! Well, see y'all later and stop by my blog and visit! http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com is the URL!
    Last edited by stormcrowe; 10-30-2005 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Adding a picture
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    all that comes to mind is: Incredible!! keep up the good work

mtbr member
    Stormcrowe you are a example of what dedication and hard work can do. I am so happy for you that you got your life back on track. I have kept tabs of your weight loss through this post and your website. Currently I am trying to help my father to get his health back in order and have shown him your posts and pictures when he comes over for visits. He is simply amazed at you determination and perseverance. Keep it up!!!!!!!
    Last edited by mb3designs; 10-30-2005 at 11:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Smile That actually made my day! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mb3designs
    Stormcrowe you are a example of what dedication and hard work can do. I am so happy for you that you got your life back on track. I have kept tabs of your weight loss through this post and your website. Currently I am trying to help my father to get his health back in order and have shown him your posts and pictures when he comes over for visits. He is simply amazed at you determination and perseverance. Keep it up!!!!!!!
    Thank you so much, you have absolutely no idea how much that statement just lifted my day! If you want, you can have your Dad PM me through MTB review or I'm setting up a group through google at http://groups.google.com/group/The-A...ing-Man?Ink=li if he ever wants to just have a dialog. I would be willing to help any way I can. If he does, tell him I want to keep things anonymous and to set up a nickname(for his protection!) as the groip will hopefully evolve into a public forum. I only have a couple of posts there now but will develope it further. I'm arranging to have a Dr of Psychology run a thread for me and a nutritionist as well on another. I don't know what health issue your Dad has, but if I can help in any way, no problem!

mtbr member
    Thanks Stormcrowe, I'll relay the information to my dad. Keep up the hard work and perseverance, you will reach your goal soon. Good luck on the deer hunting, gun season starts here in NC soon.

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by mb3designs
    Thanks Stormcrowe, I'll relay the information to my dad. Keep up the hard work and perseverance, you will reach your goal soon. Good luck on the deer hunting, gun season starts here in NC soon.
    Just a little update for those of you following my weight loss! I've dropped 321 pounds now! I gotta say, I'm feeling better! I think you'll be able to tell the one I was at 581 and now at 260! The 581 pound pic was taken actually in Feb this year just before I went through bariatric surgery.

I throw poo

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by stormcrowe
    Just a little update for those of you following my weight loss! I've dropped 321 pounds now! I gotta say, I'm feeling better! I think you'll be able to tell the one I was at 581 and now at 260! The 581 pound pic was taken actually in Feb this year just before I went through bariatric surgery.
    That is phenominal, man. That is one of the best stories I've seen. I hadn't seen this thread before today, and seeing the progress you've made is a real inspiration. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I might as well jump on the bandwagon, so here goes

First off I'm 5'10 and now @ 267 as of this morning.

In April 2004, I had been completely exercise free, job free and school free(I dropped out early junior year) and ate whatever I wanted for a good 2-3 years at that point and was at my high of 380lbs and only 18 years old. I finally decided to get a job... at the local wal-mart as a temp for store remodel. They liked me and kept me on permanent as an overnight stocker. That all involved very physical work and my feet were literally numb at the end of my 8 hour shifts. Even while continuing to eat the same old way I did, without extra exercise at all... I got down to about 320 by the end of 2004 and realized it wasn't impossible to lose weight afterall. So I went low carb in January 2005 and stayed that way until late august when I went to visit friends and family back in NY and ended up going off of it in favor of beer and pizza(I stayed in a friends dorm suite for a whole week at SUNY oswego... but thats another story) and I've been kinda rocky ever since then. In late August before my vacation I was at my all time low of 227 and am now at 267, down from 276 a week ago.

Thankfully I've decided to recommit to my health and will be buying my first *real* mountain bike within the next 2 weeks... a Kona Hoss. I plan on riding everywhere I go and trail riding as much as possible once I get it, as well as going to the gym 2-3 times a week. With luck I'll be under 200lbs by the end of this summer.

On a side note... I got my GED in march 2003 since dropping out of High School in november 2001. That allowed me to start going to college when I decided thats what I wanted to do earlier this year in April... Currently entering my 4th quarter of full time college with a college level GPA of 3.59. I plan on transfering to the University of Washington - Seattle for fall quarter 07 as a political science/international relations major.

So I guess I've made quite a transformation in many aspects... hopefully inspires others to make the changes that they feel are necessary in their own lives.

-----------

Me @ 380lbs in April 2004(Only picture I have of me at that size, I hated my picture getting taken and still kinda do)

Me @ ~260lbs early december

Me @ ~230lbs this summer(yeah I know... cell phone pic)

All face pics... but eh,whatever.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Knutsen

In April 2004, I had been completely exercise free, job free and school free(I dropped out early junior year) and ate whatever I wanted for a good 2-3 years at that point and was at my high of 380lbs and only 18 years old. I finally decided to get a job... at the local wal-mart as a temp for store remodel. They liked me and kept me on permanent as an overnight stocker. That all involved very physical work and my feet were literally numb at the end of my 8 hour shifts. Even while continuing to eat the same old way I did, without extra exercise at all... I got down to about 320 by the end of 2004 and realized it wasn't impossible to lose weight afterall. So I went low carb in January 2005 and stayed that way until late august when I went to visit friends and family back in NY and ended up going off of it in favor of beer and pizza(I stayed in a friends dorm suite for a whole week at SUNY oswego... but thats another story) and I've been kinda rocky ever since then. In late August before my vacation I was at my all time low of 227 and am now at 267, down from 276 a week ago.

Thankfully I've decided to recommit to my health and will be buying my first *real* mountain bike within the next 2 weeks... a Kona Hoss. I plan on riding everywhere I go and trail riding as much as possible once I get it, as well as going to the gym 2-3 times a week. With luck I'll be under 200lbs by the end of this summer.

On a side note... I got my GED in march 2003 since dropping out of High School in november 2001. That allowed me to start going to college when I decided thats what I wanted to do earlier this year in April... Currently entering my 4th quarter of full time college with a college level GPA of 3.59. I plan on transfering to the University of Washington - Seattle for fall quarter 07 as a political science/international relations major.

So I guess I've made quite a transformation in many aspects... hopefully inspires others to make the changes that they feel are necessary in their own lives.

-----------

Me @ 380lbs in April 2004(Only picture I have of me at that size, I hated my picture getting taken and still kinda do)

Congrats on getting the weight loss, getting the GED and starting college! That will pay you back 10 fold. Enjoy the riding the new Kona.

... and if we just ... Great choices!

Howdy, Knutsen! Yeah, ya made some great choices there! Keep it up! I know how difficult the "battle of the bulge" can be! Come on by my blog, I'm running a few things there luke "Spinner Saturday" and PHAT-K! Spinner is a database where I track ang graph various riders miles and PHAT-K is a 1000 meter sprint against the clock, again in competition with riders. So far, we're havin a ball! Come on by and join the fun!
    The URL is http://spaces.msn.com/members/theamazingshrinkingman/

-----------

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Good luck with the Hoss. I made the same decision about 7 months ago. I bought a Kona Hoss and I've ridden it all over, averaging about 35 miles most weeks. Between bicycling, walking, hiking, and basic no-nonsense diet changes, I've dropped from around 290 to 190.

Keep up the good work, and you'll get below 200. The keys for me have been staying consistent with the exercise and eating habits.

-----------

mtbr member
    Damn, you guys are amazing. It makes my accomplishment pale in comparison. I'm 6'3" and while not as big as most on here, a few years ago I was close to the 260 mark (stopped weighing myself after I broke 255). My wife and I both started eating better and exercising a little. We lost around 40 lbs each in about a year. I'm currently at 218.5 (as of this morning), and although she has put back on a few of her original pounds (not nearly all 40), we just got her a bike too and we'll now be working it off together.

BTW, my original goal was just to reach 225. Now I'm wondering how I'd look in the 199 range. My frame probably would allow that anyway. Besides, I'm pretty happy with what I've done so far without any major life changing steps.

It may sound terrible, but I no longer feel bad for overweight people, as I was one, and now know that it doesn't take much work to change your health for the better. Everyone's body is different and we gain/lose at different rates, and I understand that. But there is no excuse to be as large as we all once were.

CONGRATS TO ALL!!!!!

Ian

smw
    pedal pusher

Wow Stormcrowe, what a great story. Keep up the good work, and how is school going?

Sean

College
    Jun 2004
    Oh goodness..... haven't checked this in a while. Great job storm....have fun buying new clothes ?

I guess for you, you probably have to buy sizes too small just incase you grow down into them =P

What bike do you ride now ?
    College boy

Always Learning
    Great job to this point, Tom! Your story is an inspiration.

I didn't catch 60 Minutes last night, but they featured a female opera singer last night who I believe had the same surgery you had back when you were 581 pounds.

I buzzed over to your blog this AM to read up on your story. Sorry to read about your hernia and subsequent operation followed by ER visit 'scare'. Here's to a speedy and healthy recovery. Hey, you could always shave the beard off while you are waiting to heal to get that new and fresh look to meet your 2006 goals.

Your new target goal weight of 200 pounds will be exciting to see and follow as you continue on your journey. What are the plans for your blog name once you hit 200? The Amazing Shrunken Man?

BB

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Great job to this point, Tom! Your story is an inspiration.

I didn't catch 60 Minutes last night, but they featured a female opera singer last night who I believe had the same surgery you had back when you were 581 pounds.

I buzzed over to your blog this AM to read up on your story. Sorry to read about your hernia and subsequent operation followed by ER visit 'scare'. Here's to a speedy and healthy recovery. Hey, you could always shave the beard off while you are waiting to heal to get that new and fresh look to meet your 2006 goals.

Your new target goal weight of 200 pounds will be exciting to see and follow as you continue on your journey. What are the plans for your blog name once you hit 200? The Amazing Shrunken Man?

BB
    Bruce, thanks for the kind words! They are much appreciated! As to a new blog name? I haven't thought that far ahead! I have no idea!

Ben
    Feb 2006
    Before 230, current 180, goal 170 (depending on % body fat, I'm 6'1").
    It has taken me about 8 months of riding/ running/ swimming/ lifting and counting everything I eat (no fried food, soda, candy). I workout 6 days a week now. Most of my riding lately has been road though during the summer I did about even. A heart rate monitor has helped me a lot along with reading everything I could find about proper training. I use a free website to track what I weight, eat, do.

Get out of town!
    Quote Originally Posted by bemory1
    Before 230, current 180, goal 170 (depending on % body fat, I'm 6'1").
    It has taken me about 8 months of riding/ running/ swimming/ lifting and counting everything I eat (no fried food, soda, candy). I workout 6 days a week now. Most of my riding lately has been road though during the summer I did about even. A heart rate monitor has helped me a lot along with reading everything I could find about proper training. I use a free website to track what I weight, eat, do.
    What is the website?
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

Good job! Most Recent!

Here I am on a 106 mile road ride, Solo and unsupported! This is great, considering last March I was in that wheelchair and post surgical! Mar 11, 106 mile ride, exactly 1 year after my surgery and weight loss, is that a great way to celebrate it, or what? As of right now, my weight loss is going quite well still, at a cumulative 332 pounds lost. I'm now a 249, vs. the 581 I was at last march 11!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bemory1
    A heart rate monitor has helped me a lot along with reading everything I could find about proper training.
    I recently started using a heart rate monitor in my workouts and I think it has helped me a lot in knowing the intensity of my workout. I use one that keeps track of how many calories burned. I recently went on a 18 mile mountain bike ride and I burned over 5100 calories (I am 5'11 and weigh 250 lb).

Bike Geek
    My turn to join in the fun, though I'm still "in progress":

I was an athlete in high school and into college, competing in basketball, volleyball and rowing - I usually had a bit of a gut, but was in decent shape (6'4", 210-220). After I got my BA I started working full-time as a computer technician and started working on my masters - needless to say, I didn't have much time for organized sports much less regular workouts and the less I worked out the less I felt like working out. It was a vicious cycle paired with eating habits I kept from when I was burning 1,000+ calories a day. I ended up at around 270 lbs before I got my act together and started working out again.

My initial drop, 2 years ago, was down to about 245. Since then I've managed to more or less maintain the weight with sporadic workouts and eating better. I started riding about 2 years ago, too, and have really enjoyed the cardio benefits and the sheer fun of riding my bike again. Last month I was about 255 and starting to get upset at myself for backsliding a bit, so I got a heart rate monitor and went to work. 2 spin classes, a short/long run, some weights and a good long ride on the weekends every week for the past month or so and I'm down to 240.

I'm eating better, feeling better, and looking forward to getting back down to my "fighting weight". The HRM has made a huge difference not just in giving me feedback on how hard I'm working, but also just helping me set goals, track my progress and see my results on the Polar website - having that feedback is key for maintaining motivation.

I'll try to post some pictures later.

rad to the power of sick
    Wow, brilliant guys...Losing weight has been the greatest accomplishment of my life heres my testimonial....

I've always been festively plump but through out high school i gradually gained weight to the point where I was obese.

September 2003 I was 215lbs, 34%bf and ridden with knee problems. I also had a resting heart rate of 82bpm.

This is exceptionally bad because I was 17 and a short 5'8. I had been mtb'ing since i was 12, but whatever riding i did was counteracted by the post ride feast i enjoyed.

Well anyways there comes a point where youre sick of finishing in the bottom quarter of beginner races when you have 5 years of riding under your belt. There also comes a point where you're sick of being in the 'friendzone' with girls in your high school class (see the movie 'just friends' ) So i coughed up a ton of money to buy a gym pass.. I knew a gym pass would force me to go to the gym cause i payed so bloody much. I started with jogging 10mins on a treadmill which i hated with a passion, and cutting down the crap food.

6 months later I was 190lbs and 27% bf.

Now in 2nd year university Im 168lbs, 17% bf and considering entry to the 20-29 expert category. I can jog for 2hrs at 6.5 miles per hour now and have no problem with my knees. My resting heart rate is 53bpm and i feel better than ever.

I still have my gr 12 grad picture to serve me some humble pie every morning, but i also have some race medals to show what a little hardwork and commitment can do.

Congratulations to all of you. I admire your will power, dedication and perseverence. It's something no naturally gifted 140lb hill climber will ever understand.

cheers,
    former clyde,
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Here I am on a 106 mile road ride, Solo and unsupported! This is great, considering last March I was in that wheelchair and post surgical! Mar 11, 106 mile ride, exactly 1 year after my surgery and weight loss, is that a great way to celebrate it, or what? As of right now, my weight loss is going quite well still, at a cumulative 332 pounds lost. I'm now a 249, vs. the 581 I was at last march 11!

Great job!!!!! You should be very proud...

Down to 241 from 581 now!

That's right, you read that right! 241 pounds and my new goal is 185! I am going to get out of the Clyde class! Nothing wrong with being a Clyde, but I want to get down to 15% body fat or a bit lower. It's doable too!

Figment of Imagination
    That's right, you read that right! 241 pounds and my new goal is 185! I am going to get out of the Clyde class! Nothing wrong with being a Clyde, but I want to get down to 15% body fat or a bit lower. It's doable too!

I humbly bow to your commitment and tenacity. Oh Master of weight loss, honor me by accepting my most sincere and heartfelt congratulations on your most outstanding achievement.

One can only wonder when your handle might change to “Results not typical”...
    I may be crazy, but I'm not Stupid!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Nice Job!

Stormcrowe,
    I have been following this thread for quite some time. Congrats and all the weight loss so far and rediscovering cycling. Be sure and post up when you drop below Clyde.

J

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11 & right now I weigh 270 I was at 290 for a long time. I was in a really bad car wreck a while back & I knocked 4 teeth out broke my wrist & 3 ribs. So all I did for 6 months was eat & watch TV It hurt to do anything else. Now I've always been in good shape I've always weighed about 185-190 so having this extra weight is killing me.
    After the car wreck I went up to 240 & the holidays hit & I gained about 40 pounds!!!!
    I used to ride alot out west & I started missing it. I'm ride 7 times a week weather premitting. I'm doing this the hard way with a SS bike. I'm not sure I can get back down to
    180ish 200 would be great I've gained more muscle mass right now. I'm a steady at 270 because of the muscle I've lost weight around my waist. So I'm getting there so a bit slowly

high plains drifter

lost 100lbs in one year

my wife was over 220lbs when she got the bike 3 years ago, the after shot was taken 3 weeks ago
    Last edited by mateoway; 05-23-2006 at 10:58 AM.
    Humble self-proclaimed nothing.

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by mateoway
    over 200lbs when she got the bike 3 years ago, the after shot was taken 3 weeks ago

Wow, great turn around, congrats.

Sean
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    Wow, great turn around, congrats.

Sean
    Yeah no kidding!

So you guys/ladies losing all this weight. What kinds of differences have you made in your diet and what kind of riding are you doing? I've been riding for five weeks now, eating much better (turkey sandwiches for lunch, light dinners, etc) and though my fitness has improved considerably my weight doesn't seem to be coming down much. Maybe a few pounds down, though I do feel a bit thinner. What else did you all do - how much were you riding per week?

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicsuby
    Yeah no kidding!

So you guys/ladies losing all this weight. What kinds of differences have you made in your diet and what kind of riding are you doing? I've been riding for five weeks now, eating much better (turkey sandwiches for lunch, light dinners, etc) and though my fitness has improved considerably my weight doesn't seem to be coming down much. Maybe a few pounds down, though I do feel a bit thinner. What else did you all do - how much were you riding per week?
    Take into consideration that while you are burning the fat off, you are also gaining muscle so the poundage won't just fall off. A good measure would be to measure your waistline, leg, and arm diameter. Another would be to measure your body fat. The electric body fat scales aren't the most accurate but will be a decent gauge if you measure with the same one all the time.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I'll start doing some measurements. I'm going to be putting some weight equipment in to the extra room in my home, hopefully in the next month or so, so I'll pick up a nice scale (one that does body fat % hopefully) and keep watching it. I know that just by looking at my legs (especially my calves) they're getting MUCH stronger, so they're probably helping to keep the weight up.

Weird huh?

Jeebus!

Hotties on bikes! You go girl. Nice tan too.

Cheers
    Mike
    Poaching Demo...that's why we can't have nice things...

Life is Good
    Stormcrowe... AMAZING story.

Wow. I just discovered this thread and it simply is inspiring... I dunno how else to put it. I'm not a clydesdale, and I can't even comprehend the amount of dedication and devotion you must have up in that head up there to turn your life around like that. Its... incredible!

Great job and keep up the updates

Always Learning
    You're looking great, Tom! First of all, a big hearty congratulations on reaching your original goal of 250. I like the fact that you have adjusted that goal to sub-clyde status and are now targeting 185. 56 pounds to go and I know you'll make it in the next year with your discipline and new lifestyle change.

I like the clean shaven face.

Tell us about how you feel on the bike now at your lower weight. Are you using different gears? Knees feeling better? Stamina/Endurance increased? Have you been able to change your position on the bike from upright to a little more angle with the last 100 pounds of weight loss?

BB

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    You're looking great, Tom! First of all, a big hearty congratulations on reaching your original goal of 250. I like the fact that you have adjusted that goal to sub-clyde status and are now targeting 185. 56 pounds to go and I know you'll make it in the next year with your discipline and new lifestyle change.

I like the clean shaven face.

Tell us about how you feel on the bike now at your lower weight. Are you using different gears? Knees feeling better? Stamina/Endurance increased? Have you been able to change your position on the bike from upright to a little more angle with the last 100 pounds of weight loss?

BB
    Lessee, Stamina: I rode my first century ride three weeks ago (107.7 miles 7hrs 15 mins)
    Knees: Far better!

Gears: Spending a lot of time on the big ring now, I'm a LOT stronger, rarely have to drop to the small ring on the crank even on hills. I'm currently training on a 15% grade for hill climbing doing "wind sprints"

Bike Stance: New primary bike is a Raleigh Road Bike from the 80's, and I ride competitively now, with that Eddy Merxx stance (HB lower than saddle). I'm really more of a roadie anymore than a mountainbiker I've also been doing a little velodrome riding.

Did a 106 mile tour on the anniversary date of my surgery as well. (2 days) This was a fully loaded, self supported ride, no sag wagon.

Enki loves you
    Hi all, just read this thread for the first time today and it blows me away, especially stormcrowe, you should write a book, it would make quite a read.
    I myself am not that big, 6ft 190'ish, most of my fat is round my middle (36" waist) but i would like to drop a little and get back close to the size i was when i raced.
    Anyway keep up the good work and i hope you all reach your goals, whatever they may be.

This is what i look like now, can you guess which picture was taken in Scotland and which in Colorado? LOL. (from the uk btw).

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by gravedoja
    Hi all, just read this thread for the first time today and it blows me away, especially stormcrowe, you should write a book, it would make quite a read.
    I myself am not that big, 6ft 190'ish, most of my fat is round my middle (36" waist) but i would like to drop a little and get back close to the size i was when i raced.
    Anyway keep up the good work and i hope you all reach your goals, whatever they may be.

This is what i look like now, can you guess which picture was taken in Scotland and which in Colorado? LOL. (from the uk btw).
    Thanks, and I am working on one. Manuscript is called "The Amazing Shrinking Man"

Lessee, guess which one is Scotland? That's a hard one! It's the foggy one.
    The Colorado pic also has entirely too many trees and the wrong type! (My family hails from Motherwell! [Alba go bragh!] )

banned

Awesome forum

I just had to let you know that this is an inspiring forum. In 2000 I was told by my Dr. that if I didn't change my lifestyle th I wouldn't live to see forty. You see, I was a 5'10" 396lb slob and I was a diabetic. I also smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day and couldn't even walk up a flight of stairs without breathing extremely hard and seeing those little blinky things when I did. I went and got myself a cheap Trek 6000 hardtail. I remember getting on it, riding about a block, being out of breath, tossing my cigarette that was dangling from my lips and saying, "Damn, I don't remember this being so hard". My wife wisely mentioned the fact that I couldn't quit because I had just spent money on this new bike and she urged me to keep going. Flash forward to present. I am now down to 265lbs, no longer have to take the diabetes pills, can ride the local singletrack until I decide to quit and have went from that Trek to a 2000 Cannondale Super V to a 2004 Specialized Enduro to a 2006 Titus Moto-lite. I recently gave the Super V to another Clyde that I met on the trails. This Super V had been upgraded to XTR throughout, had a Marzocchi MX pro front fork installed and had the wheels upgrade to Rhyno-lite XL's for someone of my weight. I just wanted to make sure that this Clyde (my friend) would continue to ride and keep dropping weight. I think that by the end of 2006 I will be approaching 200lbs in weight and will have extended my life by years. Keep up all the good work and keep shedding those pounds. I know that I will.

Enki loves you
    LOL, yep, you're right of course, the other pic was taken last year on the peaks trail near Breckenridge.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    holy moly...
    I have hope to get down to 220 from 290...
    I used to be a boxer and I want to get back down to a classifiable fighting weight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

My story, The beginning

Hlo, first off I would like to congratulate you all on reaching you're goals. Stormecrow, you're picture should be next to the word "inspiration" in the dictionary. Truly amazing. Ok so anyhow, I am 28 yrs old, married and have a 3-1/2 yr old son. I stand 5' 6" tall and weigh 246. 5 years ago when my wife and I first started dating I weighed right around 200lbs until when my son was about 8 months old I got laid off for about 3 months and put on about 50 lbs. My wife and I both smoke and eat horribly, difference is she has a super high metabolism and is 5' 4" tall and weighs like 115. She also models. So here I am carrying around this weight and a tinge of guilt for the past few years. I feel sometimes like I do not deserve to be with someone as attractive as my wife is. SO its time for a change!!!
    Last year after getting married we went to Vegas for a week. Talk about feeling uncomfortable! Couldnt hardly walk through the casino's and had to deal with other "less round" men hitting on my wife for a week straight... Not good. So after vacation I decided it was time. We both bought Dept store bikes and started to ride a little bit. I could hardly make it a block. So winter came and that was that.
    This year in about the first week of may I pulled out the old $70 dick's special and went for a ride. I felt like I would die but stayed on it. Averaged about 3 miles per ride dying the whole way. So first week of June I cut out all pop from my diet went from 4 20 oz bottles a day to now only water!!! Thats all I drink, Literally water and gatorade on ride days. I picked up a trek 3900 three weeks ago and have been riding every three days on average. I suddenly find myself feeling MUCH better. Im going farther now then ever. This week alone I did my first single track course at 9.2 miles on monday. Also last night I set a new personal best on pavement of 10.5 miles in 45 minutes. I am still not eating much better but am working on that slowly but surely. I cant believe how much better I feel already it's wonderful. I feel that If I can drop the weight and be healthier I'll be here longer for both my wife and my child.
    I havent noticed anysignificasnt weight loss yet but like I said Im not eating right yet either. I hope to be down to 180 by this time next year. I also want to be able to ride 20 miles a day by the end of summer. I hope to reach it. I have the next 4 days off for the holiday and hope to do 40 miles. (we'll see about that one lol). I already feel more deserving of my wife even for the effort Im putting forward. Just exersizing is helping restore my confidence. Its great!!!!
    Anyhow I'm sorry this is so long winded and thank you for reading. Wish me luck on my journey and good luck to all of you. I'll post some pictures when I have more time.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tahopp
    Hlo, first off I would like to congratulate you all on reaching you're goals. Stormecrow, you're picture should be next to the word "inspiration" in the dictionary. Truly amazing. Ok so anyhow, I am 28 yrs old, married and have a 3-1/2 yr old son. I stand 5' 6" tall and weigh 246. 5 years ago when my wife and I first started dating I weighed right around 200lbs until when my son was about 8 months old I got laid off for about 3 months and put on about 50 lbs. My wife and I both smoke and eat horribly, difference is she has a super high metabolism and is 5' 4" tall and weighs like 115. She also models. So here I am carrying around this weight and a tinge of guilt for the past few years. I feel sometimes like I do not deserve to be with someone as attractive as my wife is. SO its time for a change!!!
    Last year after getting married we went to Vegas for a week. Talk about feeling uncomfortable! Couldnt hardly walk through the casino's and had to deal with other "less round" men hitting on my wife for a week straight... Not good. So after vacation I decided it was time. We both bought Dept store bikes and started to ride a little bit. I could hardly make it a block. So winter came and that was that.
    This year in about the first week of may I pulled out the old $70 dick's special and went for a ride. I felt like I would die but stayed on it. Averaged about 3 miles per ride dying the whole way. So first week of June I cut out all pop from my diet went from 4 20 oz bottles a day to now only water!!! Thats all I drink, Literally water and gatorade on ride days. I picked up a trek 3900 three weeks ago and have been riding every three days on average. I suddenly find myself feeling MUCH better. Im going farther now then ever. This week alone I did my first single track course at 9.2 miles on monday. Also last night I set a new personal best on pavement of 10.5 miles in 45 minutes. I am still not eating much better but am working on that slowly but surely. I cant believe how much better I feel already it's wonderful. I feel that If I can drop the weight and be healthier I'll be here longer for both my wife and my child.
    I havent noticed anysignificasnt weight loss yet but like I said Im not eating right yet either. I hope to be down to 180 by this time next year. I also want to be able to ride 20 miles a day by the end of summer. I hope to reach it. I have the next 4 days off for the holiday and hope to do 40 miles. (we'll see about that one lol). I already feel more deserving of my wife even for the effort Im putting forward. Just exersizing is helping restore my confidence. Its great!!!!
    Anyhow I'm sorry this is so long winded and thank you for reading. Wish me luck on my journey and good luck to all of you. I'll post some pictures when I have more time.
    Thanks,
    Tim
    Welcome back to the wonderful world of cycling! Congrats on your progress, Tim, good for you!

This magnificent obsession has completely changed my life for the better! Admittedly, I've turned into a roadie, but cycling is cycling! Again, welcome back!

-Tom Stormcrowe

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'll try not to make this too wordy. On April 17th, 2006 I decided to get rid of the extra weight I've been carrying around. I am 6'3" and at that time was weighing in at about 250. I changed my eating habits to include a 2000 calorie diet that had only 30% or less calories from fat. I also have one day a week that is a cheat day which I can eat whatever I want. Those are the days we have friends over to bbq and drink, etc. I also purchased a bike after about 2 weeks on the diet. I used to ride a lot back in high school 15 years ago and loved every minute of it. For some reason or another I got out of it. So far I've lost 35 lbs. and have about 30 more to go. I want to be at about 285. I think that is a good weight for someone my height. So here are some pics.

Right before I started

This one is around xmas 05 but is the same size I was when I started.

Here are two from last weekend and the fourth.

mtbr member
    WOW...
    Here is to all of you!!

Mateoway, The wife went to
    Stormcrowe You lost a couple of me!!!
    To everyone, you guys are no doubt an inspiration!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast