Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by la10slgr View Post
    I am looking at this as a life-long commitment and want to be successful and not commit myself to something I don't want to do...
    At 62 it has taken me almost a lifetime to figure out that it has nothing to do with being on a diet and everything to do with making a life-long change.

And you are so right that if you don't want to do it, you won't. That is how I am. I need to have a reason to do something and it has to be more than better health. I may not be the best rider out there on the trails, but without the weight loss, I wouldn't even be a rider at all.

I have to applaud you on tracking you progress. Way beyond what I could do, but it seems to keep you focused.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have to applaud you on tracking you progress. Way beyond what I could do, but it seems to keep you focused.

John[/QUOTE]

The tracking thing has been instrumental in sticking with it. It has also gotten me to come to some realizations that I wouldn't have otherwise... Its kinda funny (sad really), in my world I have this worldwide audience that just can't wait to read my posts on Tuesdays so I HAVE to make sure I don't let them down..... Delusions of grandeur? Yes, but it does keep me focused..... Its kind of freeing really; since this is pretty much anonymous, I have been able to be more honest with myself (about weight) on these posts than I ever have been before and just having it on the table has been such an incredible motivator.
    It's the epitome of irony that I ride an Airborne...

Co Springs
    4-16-14 to 4-21-14: 1 incline on treadmill (1 hour, 8-10% incline, 3 miles), 1 short trail ride (10.90 miles, 13.8 avg.), 1 run (60 mins, 4.43 miles), 1 run (40 mins, 2.95 miles)

On a final note… I cannot even begin to explain how much typing out these updates every week has helped me to stay on track. There has been minimal response from anyone reading these posts (which is fine..) but the mere act of posting these updates every week has brought me a level of commitment I have never had before when it comes to getting in shape and dropping pounds. Multiple times per week, I find myself wavering on something and find myself thinking “..but then I will have to post it!” which convinces me to go ahead and do whatever that particular thing is.
    If it helps, you ought to think of the many readers that follow posts and learn things as they read, are empowered by others success or pass this information on to others as a resource for using their bike to get healthy.

Stick with it for yourself, your family and all the anonymous readers out there (or here) ... lol

I"ll probably see you out on the trail or path sometime. Was just up at Baptist rd trail-head Friday doing a ride with a friend to Palmer lake.

Co Springs
    BOOK; I'd like to mention a book I heard about and thoroughly enjoyed that may prove helpful to others looking at diet/exercise routines. I heard an interview with the author on a radio program and it was pure entertainment listening to his guy's quest of becoming healthy if it killed him. I figured the little I'd heard of the books premise would make it a good gamble and was not disappointed.

Drop Dead Healthy is the title and the guy tries just about every diet and exercise program there is to see what works and what doesn't. There is some humor along the way but there is meaningful and interesting results I think anyone can find and use in some take-away's type fashion. He even built a home-made walking desk.

WHY; I'm plugging it because I read it and it's a good fit with this topic. It's funny and practical. My take-away's are eating slower, less portions, cutting out some of the bad foods/drinks or reduction, hyper exercise that saves time and still gives the 100% benefit, probably a few others too.

ME; I'm 5'10" after shrinking from appox 6'0" at one time and currently my 'range' is 172# to 175#. I have a slight gut and my occupation no longer affords me much exercise (for about the last 10 years).
    At 52 years, I figured I needed to dust off the bike and get going. I used to ride with various co-workers and friends but after losing some of those groups opportunities, it got easy to not go b/c I would be solo. Mainly I want to turn around some numbers per BP and cholesterol to improve and make sure I'm not an unhealthy person even though I appear fairly fit. I remember sleeping better, feeling more rested and needing less sleep when I was more active. The benefits are a big list, but most here already know that.

Thanks to all posting here and congrats on taking charge of these things in our control !

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by hawks1911 View Post
    I've done ute several times as well. Lately been trying my luck on falcon trail , but only sections at a time. I have also done Palmer park but it is not easy in certain sections. Been wanting to try some trails over in the red rocks area too.
    I hike RR a lot and would love to get the bike over there. Also, I recall the Falcon trail but was never on it... kinda forgot about it.

If you are up for doing some riding, send me a PM and we can figure out a plan to meet up sometime. I"m over by Rangewood / Woodman rd (Cottonwood Creek).

~brian

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    If it helps, you ought to think of the many readers that follow posts and learn things as they read, are empowered by others success or pass this information on to others as a resource for using their bike to get healthy.
    that's exactly how I got started on this!!!

Stick with it for yourself, your family and all the anonymous readers out there (or here) ... lol
    stuck like glue!!!

I"ll probably see you out on the trail or path sometime. Was just up at Baptist rd trail-head Friday doing a ride with a friend to Palmer lake.
    If you see a green Airborne Goblin cruising along, it's probably me so gimme a shout... Baptist is the far north end of the "long ride" (as a matter of fact, it's almost the exact marker for the turnaround point for the 25 mile ride) so we will just barely be overlapping....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    interesting thoughts on the book, have to keep that in mind

mtbr member
    May 2012
    6-10-14 to 6-16-14: 1 short trail ride (time: 44.49, 10.84 miles, 14.5 avg.), 1 long trail ride (time: 1.56.47, 25.03 miles, 12.9 avg.), 1 Mtn bike ride ride (time: 48.48, 6.81 miles, 8.4 avg.) 1 incline on treadmill (time: 60.0, 8-10% incline, 3.2 miles), 0 run on treadmill (time: 0.0, 0.0 miles),

Took some finagling but got all of the workouts in this week. Found another way to make the food thing a challenge…. And let me just get this off my chest…. I said I was NOT going to whine about wind anymore but this is absolutely ridiculous…. I finally found a website that tracks wind speeds and reports it for the day… I have been struggling through steady 20mph winds the past few weeks with gusts up to 30+ while riding…. How is this supposed to be fun?????? I have been telling myself that it only makes me stronger (which has helped me get through the rides) but seriously… Can't a guy get one ride in without being blasted by the wind?????? It’s gotten to the point where I have tried early in the morning to avoid wind.. nope, late in the afternoon…nope, midday… nope……. I sarcastically noticed that it wasn’t windy at 9:00 the other night and mentioned maybe this is when I need to go ride and my 4 year-old chimed in “but how are you going to see daddy?” Rant over….

Workouts:
    Short rides: Even with the wind, I maintained the 14.5 average… Kinda makes me wonder what I could be doing if it wasn’t gale force out there…. Like I mentioned, I keep telling myself it is an extra challenge and it’s making me stronger and some day… some day… I will get to measure where I am without the influence of wind

Long rides: Was supposed to only do 23 miles this week and then 25 next week but I decided what the hell….. So I have now matched my previous distance record and was able to do so without feeling like I may/may not die afterwards.. I was pretty happy about that because in previous efforts (past years) I literally came home and just laid on the floor feeling physically ill…. Conversely, I came home, took my family out to lunch, and then went and played in the pool for a couple of hours with my daughters…. Pretty good feeling to be able to do that.

MTN bike rides: Did this day after the 25 mile + pool today… Maybe not the best of ideas (thought I learned this lesson before but apparently not)…. I got through it but for full disclosure, it was maybe 2/3 mtn. biking, 1/3 running an errand that I needed to do so the average speed is a little inflated… At any rate… My quads were still fatigued from the prior day. I still did okay doing everything (emphasis on “okay”, not great, not terrible) but the extra “oomph” just wasn’t there for me during the ride. Pretty much fell into the “I did it and got it done” category….

Treadmill: I bumped the speed up to 3.2 on the incline and got through it without issue. Little surprising because when I tried this awhile back, it was “no way am I going to be able to do this for an hour” so yay for that...

Food: +3… Well hell…. improved a little on the poker/beer situation but as I alluded to, I found a new way to challenge myself… Turns out, a LOT of “0” (not bad, not good) scores don’t do much for the overall average…. particularly when the “-1” and “+1” scores nearly cancel each other out. Overall, I didn’t eat terribly, I just didn’t eat well enough to get the better scores

Musings:
    The week: As you can tell from my overall tone, kind of a “blah” week even though I hit the 25 mile barrier. If you think I’m complaining a lot about the wind on these reports, you should hear me live and in person…. It really does take the fun out of riding (for me anyway) and is making me want to not ride… Put that together with the food scores the past few weeks and it gets a little… blah… It’s weird in that I am not lacking motivation or commitment, it’s just that so many challenging situations coming up on such a regular basis and having to overcome them (particularly the “now that summer is here” issue) seemingly everywhere I go is starting to get a little irritating… I guess this is me kind of staring up at that “next level” that I didn’t know existed… I think I may be at that fork in the road where most people have had some success, get confronted with challenges, possibly get complacent, and then fall off the wagon… Rest assured, I am not falling off my wagon, I’m just dealing with challenges I did not really anticipate/have never really experienced.. I GOT THIS!!!!

Food: I mentioned in an earlier post that when it comes to me being the only person involved in making food decisions, I generally utilize much better options than when others are involved.. That probably rings even more true here in the summer time as it is rare that I am the only one involved in making food decisions… In typing today, I came really close a couple of times blaming the situation and others but caught myself and got a better understanding of who really needs to shoulder the blame here…. I guess I need to take that next step and really get adamant that I don’t want to go to "such and such" place for dinner or eat something that is easy even though it will cost me. I also found I was starting to “negotiate” with myself trying to justify things. For example, working out isn’t factored into the food scores so days when I work out and feel I deserve something that is maybe a little questionable (not bad, just questionable…) there’s no reflection of a workout in the overall score on the food side… I started to debate whether I should include working out as part of the food grading system but realized the only reason I wanted to do it was to inflate my scores….. Scoring system stays as is...

Distance: In an effort to get the motivation up some, I looked at my data sheet and calculated how far I have travelled since I started documenting my workouts (in early March). There are about two undocumented months but since I have no info, they aren’t factored in… All recorded events included (all bike riding, running on treadmill, incline on treadmill) I crossed the 400 mile mark this week (404.08 to be exact.) I have to say, I am pretty proud of myself for doing this as i don’t think I’ve ever been anywhere near this much distance… not that I ever counted but I’m pretty sure it’s safe to assume this is a new PR by far…. Now that the long rides are up to 25 (and a little more to come) miles I started to wonder “what will the total be before it’s too cold to do anything outside?” I have the image of 1,000 miles dancing in my head but I don’t know if that’s realistic or not… I guess there is one way to find out!!!

Weight: Because I had such a great week (sarcasm) I decided why not weigh myself???? Well, the gamble paid off because I seem to have lost another 4 pounds since last report so total weight lost now stands at 14 pounds!

Okay, I had my b*itch session and as always, typing this report out has brought me some clarity about what I need to focus on and has also shown me that even though there have been some challenges the past few weeks, I am still on the right path. My food score will be much improved next week… MARK IT!!!

Co Springs

If you see a green Airborne Goblin cruising along, it's probably me so gimme a shout... Baptist is the far north end of the "long ride" (as a matter of fact, it's almost the exact marker for the turnaround point for the 25 mile ride) so we will just barely be overlapping....
    Well I hope I see you out there. Would love to see the bike and hear your impressions.

I sometimes do the trail from Woodman rd north but the guy's I rode with don't go quite up to or much past the South ent. I'd be getting in a nice ride getting to or near Baptist and can also ride from home to Woodman / I-25 via the Cottonwood path, about 5 miles one way. I'll keep an eye out.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    6-17-14 to 6-23-14: 1 short trail ride (time: 44.15, 10.77 miles, 14.6 avg.), 1 long trail ride (time: 1.59.38, 26.02 miles, 13.0 avg.), 1 Mtn bike ride ride (time: 53.13, 6.55 miles, 7.4 avg.) 0 incline on treadmill (time: 0.0, 0% incline, 0.0 miles), 1 run on treadmill (time: 60.0, 4.45 miles),

Decent rebound on the food this week but not as high as anticipated. Got all of the workouts in and tried a new place to ride.. didn’t work out so well… Continuing to venture into the uncharted north… Pretty decent week overall...

Workouts:
    Short rides: Still windy but happy to report not as bad as it has been lately. got a new PR with an average of 14.6 and that was with a lot of “traffic” (people walking 3-4 abreast, high school team practicing running sprints, families out riding, etc…)

Long rides: Bumped up to 26 miles (increase of 1 mile) and was disappointed that I didn’t really get that sense of accomplishment I was looking for afterwards. Kinda strange because I feel like being able to do this is my biggest accomplishment so far… maybe something to do with my mood at the time because I honestly didn’t really feel like doing it when I did it but it was the best time to get it done… Similar to the short ride, it was breezy but not too bad but the one stretch where it was windy was the long straightaway where I expect to cruise along with pretty good velocity so there was some wind impact there.. no big deal as the focus here is on distance, not the average speed. Now that I think about it, I am getting better on the climbs that are associated with going further than the short rides so I got that going for me, which is nice… Onward to Canada!!!! (keep heading north on the trail until I get to 30 miles, round trip..)

MTN bike rides: Tried a new place to ride…. it sucked…. First off, the “blue” trails were anything but…. during numerous climbs I would come to a blind turn only to find rocks and even steeper climbs (with virtually no momentum), but only during the turn… afterwards, no big deal… Did cause me to crash and scrape myself up pretty good but nothing major… Other sections were literally riding down a cliff (okay, 10-20 foot cliffs, but still cliffs…) that I wasn’t about to dare attempt…. The icing on the cake was I saw a storm moving in so I decided it was time to pack it in before it got to me…. Wellllll, as I mentioned, new place for me so I missed whatever turn I needed and ended up going around in circles trying to get back to my truck… Obviously I got caught in the storm so that was even more fun… I didn’t mind riding in the rain so much (once I put my iPod and phone in a ziplock) but 1) the nearby lightning made it a little tense, 2) I don’t like being the guy to put tire tracks in the trail, and 3) I hadn’t really planned to spend the next hour and a half cleaning my bike and oiling the drivetrain… On the + side, I have a REALLY clean bike now!!!!

Treadmill: Added another 5 seconds on the run to make it a 1:35/1:25 split… Did well enough.. Even had enough moxy to bump up the last segment to 7mph instead of 6…. It’s strange how the difference from 6 to 7 is such a big deal… At 6 I can cruise along and be just fine, but something about jumping up to 7 turns it into a sprint instead of a good jog… I’m perplexed about what I’m going to end up doing about this come winter.. Luckily I don’t have to worry about this for awhile...

Food: +8… Got things a little better under control this week as my score is much improved compared to last, but honestly, my goal was to get to at least 10… I even did the “no thanks, not drinking tonight” maneuver to make sure my score stayed at 8 instead of going lower… I had it all typed out explaining where some of the points went this week (that prevented me from scoring 12) but instead of blaming others I will accept responsibility for it… again… I will say this; sometimes you get stuck between a rock and a hard place as far as options go…. Gonna keep working on this so stay tuned….

Musings:
    I’m learning I’m not much into the super hardcore mountain biking stuff (e.g., really steep drops, riding on the side of a cliff) as I find I am more fearful for my life instead of having a good time... I’ve never really been the daredevil type so that stuff really doesn’t appeal to me. There have been so many times lately where I have been puttering along then all of a sudden theres this huge 10-20 foot drop that is all rock that you could literally kill yourself on if you don’t take the ONE, EXACT path that will get you through it. Kinda kills the enjoyment of riding, at least for me anyhow, because believe me, I need options…. Also makes it harder for me to venture out and try new things because the past few times I have played the “ hey, haven’t ridden this before” card, this is what I end up riding...Having said that (and made myself look like some ninny grampa….), gimme a good challenge that isn’t death defying (i.e., gimme some margin for error in case I do screw up…) and I’m all about it.. I’ve continued to work on my technical skills and have been able to implement the use of speed better in that I am maintaining some speed on downhill sections so I can go down some fairly decent drops rather effortlessly because I have the speed (whereas a few months ago I would be going too slow, thus, wouldn’t have the momentum to get through the drops without my front wheel catching) so I am happy about that..

Sheesh, had to type this out to realize I set not one, but 2 PRs this week…. Strange how I really didn’t put that together until now… Guess I was too busy focusing on the bad ride and the food difficulty to see the positives...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hawks1911 View Post
    I have also done Palmer park but it is not easy in certain sections.
    you can say that again!!! just tried palmer the other day and nearly killed myself multiple times.... I don't get how you can call some of those sections "blue" especially one part where i came upon this 20 foot cliff!!!

Co Springs
    Palmer Park has a lot of character but you can get into trouble. I've hiked it enough to know some trails that I'd be walking the bike too much and avoiding those or hike/bike in sections is my method of skirting the Emergency Dept.
    Lately, I've been riding with many far above my tech skills and fitness level but that has been by design. They are gracious enough to offer some tips and wait at some key intersections where I'd be left in the dust. My skills and fitness will improve but I have little interest in plummeting down dried up water falls of boulders and tree roots. If my improvement plan affords me the ability to get through the tough stuff w/o much walking and at a reasonable speed that won't risk life and limb, I'll be very pleased and that is primary to the extent of my goal aside from fitness.
    It may be that I've hit a wall knowing speed and momentum are what gets through the dangerous troughs yet my lack of experience and confidence, fear of crashing and temptation to grab the brakes is the wall.

Practice on the small stuff and work up to it. Palmer has lots of trails that are no trouble at all and can be linked to lots of stuff for some fun rides. You will be doing some climbing though.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Palmer Park has a lot of character but you can get into trouble. I've hiked it enough to know some trails that I'd be walking the bike too much and avoiding those or hike/bike in sections is my method of skirting the Emergency Dept.
    Lately, I've been riding with many far above my tech skills and fitness level but that has been by design. They are gracious enough to offer some tips and wait at some key intersections where I'd be left in the dust.
    I've used the same philosophy lately and have also been doing a fair amount of hiking, although mine has been quite involuntary... I just need to get better familiarized with these trials as you have. I also have been riding with a couple of guys that are way above my skill level and you are right in that it is VERY helpful to be with them to see what can be done better...

My skills and fitness will improve but I have little interest in plummeting down dried up water falls of boulders and tree roots. If my improvement plan affords me the ability to get through the tough stuff w/o much walking and at a reasonable speed that won't risk life and limb, I'll be very pleased and that is primary to the extent of my goal aside from fitness.
    You took the words right from my mouth on this part!

It may be that I've hit a wall knowing speed and momentum are what gets through the dangerous troughs yet my lack of experience and confidence, fear of crashing and temptation to grab the brakes is the wall.
    Ironically, I have just recently begun working on this as well and you are right in that the natural instinct to grab those brakes is STRONG!!! Having said that, I am going over some drops and thankfully I have had enough speed... once I get over that hump I think the downhill stuff will b e much more fun (of course it is already the most fun, just mores...)

Practice on the small stuff and work up to it. Palmer has lots of trails that are no trouble at all and can be linked to lots of stuff for some fun rides. You will be doing some climbing though.
    I don't mind the climbing as that is the best for improving endurance and strength. I guess I will have to give it another shot (Palmer Park) but I will tell you this, I had a blast at Ute Valley yesterday simply because I was back in familiar surroundings and knew where the "pitfalls" were... I'm working on creating a loop for myself there but haven't done so as of yet. I do have one in my head but i want to avoid having to do any hiking and the loop I know of has one section that is definitely too steep to ride up (although I've seen someone do it, I mentioned this awhile ago in one of my posts) and I'm 90% sure I'll never ride down it either....

Co Springs
    Ute is a fun treat when I get bored at some other parks. I like it for being so open and it dries up fast versus Stratton/Cheyenne and Palmer if you are out from a recent soaking.

Lately, I'm using the principle I read of in the health book. The guy went out and tried all kinds of things to de-mystify the hype of certain diets and exercise. One thing that caught my eye was the benefit of time-saving if indeed you can truly get a hyper workout and net the same/similar benefits.
    On that theme where I might think of skipping a ride due to time constraints, I found a pretty good hill in my area so I created a loop that is getting this hill out of the way first and rolling back home in approx 2 miles total. This is a good work out for me, yet I'm devoting very little time to it, say 12 - 15 minutes.

Also, I am a big believer in cross-training in the respect that some down hill runs or faster trails on the mtn bike keep you sharp as a skier and when I'm out with hiking buddies, I sometimes jog down a rocky, battered trail because it keeps me thinking about balance, timing, looking farther out to pick the right line; this confluence of a few decisions that demands multitasking.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:36 AM.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    May 2012
    6-24-14 to 6-30-14: 1 short trail ride (time: 46.11, 10.80 miles, 14.0 avg.), 1 long trail ride (time: 2.10.43, 28.01 miles, 12.9 avg.), 1 Mtn bike ride ride (time: 49.03, 5.98 miles, 7.3 avg.) 1 incline on treadmill (time: 60.0, 8-10% incline, 3.2 miles), 0 run on treadmill (time: 0, 0 miles),

Stuck with old standards this week (i.e., didn’t try anything new, thus, didn’t hurt myself…) and for once, was able to make most of my food decisions without extraneous influences…. Extremely happy to report wind was a minimal impact but still a factor…

Workouts:
    Short rides: Absolutely no wind when I started and I started to believe it was finally going to be THE day I got the ride I have been waiting for… Well, that lasted for about 1/3 of the ride and I smashed my split time (under 24 minutes to the 1/2 way point) and I was STOKED!!!! Well, I guess all good things must come to an end because the wind was there for the way back and I went from wondering how close to a 15.0 average I was going to get down to 14.0…. At this point, I think I psychologically broke a little bit here as I was soooo disappointed that I wan’t going to be able to shoot for that perfect ride and I really let the mild-moderate wind slow me down, thus, the low average…. I still have that dream of a day without wind…. Kinda feeling like Bodhi Zafa in Point Break chasing that perfect wave…. some day… some day…. and it will ALL be worth it...(apologies for referring to ANYTHING involving Keaneau Reeves…)

Long rides: Now up to 28 miles (increase of 2 miles.) There was some wind on the ride but nothing to get too upset about. For once, the wind was going the way it is supposed to go (from north to south) so the “hard” part of the ride (going north, into the wind) was actually the hard part and the “fast” part of the ride (going south) was actually the fast part… I don’t remember exact speeds but suffice it to say I was puttering along on the hard part and I was pretty tired after the northward journey. Being fearful that I was too wiped out and not going to do too well on the way back, I happily found myself FLYING (by my standards anyway…) on the way back!!! I knew I had this in me (which is why I have been so frustrated about the wind) and finally being able to carry pretty good momentum for the return trip was, dare I say… FUN!!!! I am pretty jazzed that I will hit my goal of 30 mile rides this week, that is a HUGE one for me. Once I hit this mark, the emphasis will switch from increasing distance to improving time on 30 mile rides.

MTN bike rides: After last week, I needed a session that was familiar so I stuck with the park by my house. On one front, I am getting pretty good at climbing a certain section I ride with regularity (I actually like going up and down this particular section) but there is another section that is just a looooong, slow climb that still gets the best of me. At this point, I need to stop 2-3 times going up but I hope to get that down to zero… I am trying to figure out a loop that I can ride (i.e., my own personal race track) but haven’t been able to do so without including a section i am scared to ride… Thought I had it all worked out until I found out I was riding a hiking only trail, oops…. Still gonna explore and try to work it out because I am finding that competing against the clock is a strong motivator for me...

Treadmill: Did the incline option this week. Continues to get easier but, based on the sweat soaked shirts, it is still a challenge. Don’t know that I am ready to bump the speed up to 3.3 but it is looming somewhere out there...

Food: Get ready for this……+13… Finally had a week where I wasn’t between the aforementioned “rock and a hard place” most of the time regarding food intake… Conversely, i was making most of the decisions on what I ate and look what happens… (previous best was +9) Funny thing is, it wasn’t even that difficult….. Had some pretty good opportunities to really blow it and really found it wasn’t even a hard choice…. I’m readily ordering chicken and a healthy side now and honestly, am not even missing hamburgers or other bad food that I am trying to minimize… Another change that I have made is I have quit ordering “bar food” on nights that I am at the bar (working or otherwise…) and am instead now ordering a big ol’ salad… Funny thing is, I’m using less than an ounce serving of ranch for the whole thing (sorry, not giving up the ranch…) whereas I used to use 4-5 ounces for the same amount…. Further, I’m even liking the salads…. Now let’s see if I can keep it up…..

Musings:
    As I hit on in the food section, had a great week and it didn’t even really take too much effort, even the exercise part… It seems all I need to do is minimize negative influences and stand firm in my commitment and I’m heading in the right direction. Now I’m not gonna pretend that a score of 13 on the food is the pinnacle of success, quite the contrary actually as the absolute best I can do is +28 but it felt good to make some strides in the right direction…

I will say this, my legs feel…. tired…. It’s weird because it feels like I am continually improving every week (overall) and my endurance is getting better and better but there have been times lately where I feel I just don’t have “it”…. I don’t think I am overworking them as I only overtly work out 4x a week and only the Wednesday-Thursday combination is back-to-back but even with those days off I don’t feel like I am as “explosive” as I could be lately.. It’s kinda like the brain says “go!” but the legs say “don’t worry about it, we’ll get there…" Any thoughts on this would be appreciated….

Never really saw myself as a “goal oriented” type of person but this little journey has proven that to be quite true. I like the little successes of trying lines that I’ve avoided before and overcoming them and also seeing and riding new places (as long as it doesn’t kill me…) but I have to acknowledge that competing against myself is really my big motivator… Improving my average speed on the short rides and increasing the distance on the long rides really seems to give me that sense of accomplishment that leads to wanting to continue to improve. I remember not too long ago I was hoping to average 12.5-13 mph on the short rides and now here I am, ticked off that I fell down to 14.0 this week. Tomorrow is the day I do the “short ride” and I can honestly say, it has a little bit of that “game day” feeling to it….. And as for doing 30 mile rides; that was kind of a pipe dream when I started as I have to admit I had my doubts but figured I would give it a shot… Now here I am scheduled to do it on Saturday Also looking forward to doing that ride this week….. Gonna be a great week!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Lately, I'm using the principle I read of in the health book. The guy went out and tried all kinds of things to de-mystify the hype of certain diets and exercise. One thing that caught my eye was the benefit of time-saving if indeed you can truly get a hyper workout and net the same/similar benefits.
    On that theme where I might think of skipping a ride due to time constraints, I found a pretty good hill in my area so I created a loop that is getting this hill out of the way first and rolling back home in approx 2 miles total. This is a good work out for me, yet I'm devoting very little time to it, say 12 - 15 minutes.
    This is one thing I can't do but wish I could... by the time I get stretched out, then go ride/workout, then get cleaned up (I HAVE to shower after working out, skin is too oily not to...) it doesn't make any sense to go to all that trouble to only work out for 15 minutes... Wish it did though because that would be helpful for those times where time is of the essence...
    Last edited by la10slgr; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:28 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    7-1-14 to 7-7-14: 1 short trail ride (time: 45.19, 10.85 miles, 14.4 avg.), 1 long trail ride (time: 2.27.58, 30.01 miles, 12.2 avg.), 1 Mtn bike ride ride (time: 53.27, 7.25 miles, 8.1 avg.) 0 incline on treadmill (time: 0, 0-0% incline, 0 miles), 1 run on treadmill (time: 60.0, 4.45 miles)

Had a friend spend the week with us so the food took a dip, accomplished some goals, didn’t quite make it on others. Of course, 4th of July brings bbqs… Learned a little about the power of the mind this week as well..

Workouts:
    Short rides: Pretty average ride as there is really nothing to report here that hasn’t been said before. Did rebound on the average some (back to 14.4) so that was good. It was going pretty slow for awhile and I found I was chanting “make it happen” to myself and that got me moving a little faster. Funny, because it wasn’t something I intentionally did but it did happen.. Still have that lingering feeling that I can do better so I will get it, it’s just a matter of time...

Long rides: Hit that 30!!! Wasn’t easy as I did my best to make it as hard as possible… First off, I “may" have neglected to eat a proper breakfast beforehand and only eaten a granola bar prior to riding and at the 1/2 way point… NOT enough calories…. Secondly, I also “may” have neglected to check the pressure in my tires prior to the ride and only noticed when it was too late to do anything about it (as in “Why am I so tired already?” after only 7 miles of riding… and I don’t carry a pump with me…) Turns out I was doing this on 20psi, when I normally ride at 30… what a difference 10 psi makes is all I can say…. At any rate, it took me all day (2 1/2 hours) but I did it!!! I can only hope that it goes a little smoother next time because I did not have a good time on this particular excursion….

MTN bike rides: Went out with bike guru and a new associate this week. Nothing really adventurous happened as we were on pretty tame terrain throughout the ride. The only exception would be one instance where we were going downhill and there was a hump hidden by the grass so I wasn’t ready for a jump and found myself way further forward than I would have liked. Landed front tire first but was able to keep control… barely….

Treadmill: Did the run option this week. Very similar report as the incline report from last week as it continues to get easier but, based on the sweat soaked shirts, it is still a challenge. I could push myself a little harder but don’t really see the point as running isn’t the focus right now and I only do it every 2 weeks (alternate incline and run) so I am just going to leave it “as is” until the biking season is over and the indoor stuff becomes the focus.

Food: +4… Really strange how the “machismo” kicked in a little bit with my friend being here for the week. In a way, I was a little embarrassed that I am doing this and didn’t want him to know so I was letting bad food through the gate… After the first few days I noticed I was going to end up having a really, really bad week so I had to put that machismo bs away and get back on the program….. Then, of course, 4th of july kicked in and let’s just say there were very, very, very few “good” options even available for a couple of days this weekend… then to top it off, we go to Burger King for lunch (1st time since starting this) and I get a grilled chicken sandwich and a side salad… Well, I sure as hell didn’t know that the only way they manage to get any flavor on the thing whatsoever is to SLATHER mayo all over it…… Not doing that again I can tell you that much! Guess I’m gonna have to have another “rebound week”.. again….

Musings:
    I guess this week’s musings focus on the psychology of the whole thing. First off, on my rides, it took sheer will power to make the short ride average happen and to make the 30 mile ride happen. In both instances, the motivation was lacking (especially on the long ride once I figured out the hurdles I presented myself with) but on the other hand, failure was absolutely not an option and I made it happen. I don’t know if I am explaining it very well at all because if you would have asked me if there was a difference between “will power” and “motivation” I would have probably said “no.” but here we are… And then the whole thing with my friend being here… I don’t know why it was embarrassing to me but it was, luckily I caught what I was doing and somewhat righted the ship before I ended up in the negatives for the week (which was a real possibility…) I guess it has to do with the old-school mindset of it’s a girl thing to eat healthy (which is dumb in and of itself but there I was doing it…) I guess it falls into that whole admitting you have a problem thing….

mtbr member
    May 2012
    7-8-14 to 7-14-14: 1 short trail ride (time: 43.58, 10.79 miles, 14.7 avg.), 0 long trail ride (time: 0, 0 miles, 0 avg.), 0 Mtn bike ride ride (time: 0, 0 miles, 0 avg.) 2 incline on treadmill (time: 60, 8-10% incline, 3.2 miles), 0 run on treadmill (time: 0, 0 miles)

Interesting week as it took some kniving to get all the workouts in... Commitments to other things made it difficult but I got creative and kept with the program, at least tried to anyway... Having to type this out while on vacation (and some parts from memory) so not going to be as detailed as normal...

Workouts:
    Short rides: Set a new PR on average speed (14.7)! And that was with some wind, not much but some.... I know I have a 15 average in me, I know it!

Long rides: I didn't get a long ride in this week as I owed a family friend a trip to laser tag (my wife was his nanny back in the day... So he is 14....) My intent was to count the 1.5 hours running around shooting people as the "long workout" this week but it wasn't as strenuous as I had hoped.... Did get some cardio in so at least it was something, maybe 1/3 the effort of my bike ride... For those that are curious, if the zombie apocalypse should ever occur, I will most likely be one of the first to go as I apparently cant shoot to save my life.... Or at least keep from getting shot...

MTN bike rides: I had to watch the kids a couple of times this week so while I wasn't able to go ride, I was able to do the treadmill while they slept...

Treadmill: I didn't feel like running so I did the incline 2x.... Nothing too exciting to report

Food: +6 or 8… Trying to recall the score from memory (don't have my log with me so the details are a little fuzzy...) I feel like I did okay this week but the score doesn't really reflect it... Seems I am in the midst of a plateau at the moment so I have been a little more strict on the grading system... I don't want to do it but I am seeing the worth of setting actual guidelines for scoring to make it less subjective... We're gonna wait and see how this goes for awhile before we go and do anything that drastic...

Musings:
    A busy week really provided a lot of fairly valid excuses for not working out and for having a lower score. I really had to work to make sure I got 4 workouts in and although the laser tag wasn't as challenging as I had hoped, it still had me running around for an hour and a half.. I am happy that I didn't cop out and found ways to make sure I got four workouts in...

The next few weeks are going to be a real challenge for both exercising and eating well.. First challenge will be the family vacation this coming week (actually on it now, thus the lack of having my log handy... And the tardiness in reporting last week.) having said that, we are in my favorite biking location in the whole world (I'm sure there's better, just the best I have ever experienced) so there will be plenty of mountain biking within the next report.. After that, an old buddy will be coming to visit then almost immediately after that my dad will be coming to visit as well.... I'll tell you what, if I can make it through the next three weeks without totally falling off the wagon I'll be pretty impressed!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    7-15-14 to 7-21-14: Little different format this week!!! See below...

Spent the week in Grand Lake, Colorado this week which is one of my favorite places in the world and rode my favorite trail in various forms over the course of the week and also rode what I thought was an impossible ride for me (slowly, but I got there!) Since all workouts were mountain bike rides, I’m gonna break them down a bit (and maybe just relive the memories!)

Food: +4 Did okay this week all things considered, I kind of let some vacation specific things happen (smores over the campfire anyone?) but with all of the riding I did this week I’m not too upset about it. I largely avoided all of the junk food we had laying around but there were some fumbles. Even though I kept the portions relatively small, there were some meals that were a “no-win” situation (e.g., pizza, taco salad). Again, group decisions vs. my own personal agenda….

Workouts:
    Ride 1: 1hr. 45 mins. 10 sec., 11.06 miles, 6.3 avg.
    This was the ride I have been waiting ALL summer for!!! Got to Grand Lake and the first thing I did once we were all settled in was hop on my favorite trail in the whole wide world!!! (had to wait til the next day as we got there in the evening) I’m not saying you may think it is the best trail out there but it is PERFECT in my eyes… It fits my skill level perfectly (a couple of sections are too difficult/technical but by and large it fits me) and that feeling of being out in the middle of nowhere (even though it is right next to a golf course) makes it everything I could ask for, not to mention there are LOTS of signs pointing you in the right direction (something us directionally challenged people appreciate when meandering around in a forest). Being on this trail literally brings me a sense of serenity that I get from nowhere else… A great mixture of rocky climbs/descents, tight/twisty single track, and wide open forest roads give it a ton of variety and really force you to work to do the ride but at the same time, there are only a few spots that are truly advanced… Now, the trail that I just described is only about 8 miles round trip (the last two rides below) but there is a bridge that crosses the Colorado River and the trail continues on into national forest but I had never ridden that before…. Soooo, being all "adrenalined out" that I was in my own personal utopia I figured it was time to find out what was beyond!!! Being close to the river the initial section was pretty dense forest (that hasn’t been killed by the beetles) and boggy/marshy grasslands. Being from Arizona and living in Colorado Springs, this isn’t something I am really familiar with so that was a fun new experience for me. The grass was so thick that it pretty much covered the trail and it was pretty obvious I was going past the beaten path… Once I got through that it was on to a part of the forest where the pine beetles had decimated the trees so the forest service had the logs all stacked up in this little “teepee” village, pretty interesting… After that, it was a long steady climb up a forest service road for as long as you care to go… I did a few miles before I decided to head back and the scenery of the forest and surrounding rocky mountains was amazing… I have to say I was soooo happy with how well I did on the ride! First off, my fitness level was what I had hoped it would be as I was able to maintain what I felt to be a respectable speed and i was able to climb everything that was within my skill level and keep on going!!! It felt really, really, really good to be able to do it as when I did this ride (the first part before the bridge) last year there were lots (and lots) of breaks to catch my breath…. Secondly, there was one section that caused me to crash every time I attempted it last year.. Learning that I haven’t been maintaining my speed when approaching something I deemed to be difficult, I went for it… Happy to report I made it over my little hurdle successfully each and every time! A good feeling to overcome something that was once an obstacle… Now for full disclosure, when I was on my way back and riding the the swampy grassland, my hand was wet and the instant I took my hand off my grip to wipe it on my shorts I found a big ol root…. Have to say, it was the softest, easiest crash I had ever endured… The ground was so soft and muddy but at the same time the grass was so thick I didn’t get a speck of dirt on me, or my white shirt….. I actually had to laugh about it as I was sitting there...

Ride 2: 1hr. 48 mins. 55 sec., 15.75 miles, 8.7 avg.
    I didn’t really intend for the ride to happen the way it did but at the same time, once I figured out where I was going I didn’t prevent it from happening either… While driving around doing “forest stuff” last year we found this county road/forest service road that was really steep and very rocky with the smallest rocks being the size of softballs and larger rocks about the size of basketballs (and bigger) all over the place… Like I said, I never intended to try and bike this road but once I was there I didn’t not do it either… I don’t know how long I had to do this (as I didn’t pay attention) but i would assume it was somewhere between 1-2 miles of this… Needless to say, lots of pit stops were required just to catch my breath…. I am still calling this a success because the fact I even rode it at all was way above anything I thought I would have been able to do, breaks or not…. At any rate (ha!!!), I finally got up/through this first part and ended up on rideable forest roads, some of which were public and some of which I think were just there for forest rangers/firefighters… Funny thing is, once I puttered around for awhile I did find some single track there as well and it was really fun… did you catch that part earlier where I said I liked the signs on the trail because I am navigationally inept????? Well that was a little foreshadowing there on my part because I… got… LOST!!! Not that I was aimlessly wondering around the forest (because i was on forest roads after all) but I didn’t know how to get out as the way I had mentally mapped my exit was wrong… I have to admit I was starting to get a little freaked out as I didn’t know how to get out and I had already gone around in circles trying to get out and my water supply was starting to get a little low… (Smartly, I brought both of my water bottles as I didn’t know where I was going so I figured it was better to be overprepared vs. underprepared and let me tell you, if I would have only had one bottle I probably would have gone in to freak out mode….) Soooo I ended up doing a couple of bonus loops of the area before I ran into a photographer and he pointed me in the right direction… I think I added an additional 6-8 miles on to what was supposed to be a relatively short/tame ride but being out in the forest was awesome… As an added bonus, I found a perfect little spot for my daughters to play in the water of a creek while I was out there… (Even more shocking is the fact that I actually found it driving the next day!!!!)

Ride 3: 1hr. 10 mins. 31 sec., 8.32 miles, 7.1 avg.
    Well now that I have turned into nature boy and was finally starting to figure out the lay of the land, I realized the turnaround point of my favorite ride (the bridge spot) was literally just down the road of the cabin we were staying at (the wife was very appreciative of this as it meant she could have the truck to go shopping while I was out riding…) so it would be an easy warm up to get to my ride so I figured it would be interesting to do the ride in reverse… I had not realized the second leg (now the first leg) was much easier as there was less climbing in this direction… Oddly, I found the climbing to be easier this way as I was definitely warmed up once it was time to do the climbs when I came back (the original first leg)… At this point I was starting to get familiar with the trail and was able to plan for obstacles as they arose.. This made the ride even more enjoyable as I wasn’t so surprised at every turn and was able to more efficiently plan my lines… Have I mentioned this is my favorite trail in the whole wide world??????

Ride 4: 1hr. 06 mins. 40 sec., 7.82 miles, 7.0 avg.
    Same ride as ride 3 above, but I had to sneak this one in the morning we left as I just had to get one more ride in… I even dragged my lazy ass out of bed at 7:30 just to do it (I am NOT a morning person)!!! It was kind of bittersweet as it was almost a “farewell tour” in that I knew it would be the last time I ride it for at least another year…. On the other hand, given a couple of more days I think I would have explored further out and found something new.. Kind of hard to maintain something as your favorite if you have it all the time...

Musings:
    I had a great week biking (as if you couldn’t tell…) and would probably have to call this the greatest 4 ride combination i have ever put together.. Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever considered doing over 40 miles of pure mountain biking over the course of 5 days.. ever… Now to be honest, the quads were/are a little sore/tired but nothing that would prevent me from doing another ride in an instant…. It’s all of this riding that made me okay with only scoring a “4” on the food part as I am pretty sure I used whatever extra calories I packed in…

It’s funny that I find this inner peace whenever I am in Grand Lake, small little mountain town without much going on. I so much prefer this over any of the resorty places (e.g., Breckenridge, Aspen, even Estes Park) as it is so low key (not a single stop light!) where those other places remind me too much of L.A. (also lived there for 5 years…) in that everyone seems so wrapped up in showing off how rich they are… Don’t even get me started on the weather there… 70-75 degrees in the middle of July.. are you kidding me??? that in and of itself makes it perfect in my book, I don’t care how many feet of snow they get in the winter (which I also consider to be in the “the more the better” category)…. And as for the mountain biking??? Fuhget about it!!! There’s not a ton of trails up there but what is there is so perfect in my book that I wish I could go up there every weekend… Even better, I have gotten more familiar with what is out there so I can venture out further next time and really get lost in the woods….

And finally, something from the “you gotta be kidding me!" category… Old buddy is coming to visit from Arizona and we are going to Grand Lake/Rocky Mtn. Nat’l Park!!! If only for a night… now let’s see if I can talk him in to taking the bikes with us!!!

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18