Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by la10slgr View Post
    I am looking at this as a life-long commitment and want to be successful and not commit myself to something I don't want to do...
    At 62 it has taken me almost a lifetime to figure out that it has nothing to do with being on a diet and everything to do with making a life-long change.

And you are so right that if you don't want to do it, you won't. That is how I am. I need to have a reason to do something and it has to be more than better health. I may not be the best rider out there on the trails, but without the weight loss, I wouldn't even be a rider at all.

I have to applaud you on tracking you progress. Way beyond what I could do, but it seems to keep you focused.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have to applaud you on tracking you progress. Way beyond what I could do, but it seems to keep you focused.

John[/QUOTE]

The tracking thing has been instrumental in sticking with it. It has also gotten me to come to some realizations that I wouldn't have otherwise... Its kinda funny (sad really), in my world I have this worldwide audience that just can't wait to read my posts on Tuesdays so I HAVE to make sure I don't let them down..... Delusions of grandeur? Yes, but it does keep me focused..... Its kind of freeing really; since this is pretty much anonymous, I have been able to be more honest with myself (about weight) on these posts than I ever have been before and just having it on the table has been such an incredible motivator.
    It's the epitome of irony that I ride an Airborne...

Co Springs
    4-16-14 to 4-21-14: 1 incline on treadmill (1 hour, 8-10% incline, 3 miles), 1 short trail ride (10.90 miles, 13.8 avg.), 1 run (60 mins, 4.43 miles), 1 run (40 mins, 2.95 miles)

On a final note… I cannot even begin to explain how much typing out these updates every week has helped me to stay on track. There has been minimal response from anyone reading these posts (which is fine..) but the mere act of posting these updates every week has brought me a level of commitment I have never had before when it comes to getting in shape and dropping pounds. Multiple times per week, I find myself wavering on something and find myself thinking “..but then I will have to post it!” which convinces me to go ahead and do whatever that particular thing is.
    If it helps, you ought to think of the many readers that follow posts and learn things as they read, are empowered by others success or pass this information on to others as a resource for using their bike to get healthy.

Stick with it for yourself, your family and all the anonymous readers out there (or here) ... lol

I"ll probably see you out on the trail or path sometime. Was just up at Baptist rd trail-head Friday doing a ride with a friend to Palmer lake.

Co Springs
    BOOK; I'd like to mention a book I heard about and thoroughly enjoyed that may prove helpful to others looking at diet/exercise routines. I heard an interview with the author on a radio program and it was pure entertainment listening to his guy's quest of becoming healthy if it killed him. I figured the little I'd heard of the books premise would make it a good gamble and was not disappointed.

Drop Dead Healthy is the title and the guy tries just about every diet and exercise program there is to see what works and what doesn't. There is some humor along the way but there is meaningful and interesting results I think anyone can find and use in some take-away's type fashion. He even built a home-made walking desk.

WHY; I'm plugging it because I read it and it's a good fit with this topic. It's funny and practical. My take-away's are eating slower, less portions, cutting out some of the bad foods/drinks or reduction, hyper exercise that saves time and still gives the 100% benefit, probably a few others too.

ME; I'm 5'10" after shrinking from appox 6'0" at one time and currently my 'range' is 172# to 175#. I have a slight gut and my occupation no longer affords me much exercise (for about the last 10 years).
    At 52 years, I figured I needed to dust off the bike and get going. I used to ride with various co-workers and friends but after losing some of those groups opportunities, it got easy to not go b/c I would be solo. Mainly I want to turn around some numbers per BP and cholesterol to improve and make sure I'm not an unhealthy person even though I appear fairly fit. I remember sleeping better, feeling more rested and needing less sleep when I was more active. The benefits are a big list, but most here already know that.

Thanks to all posting here and congrats on taking charge of these things in our control !

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by hawks1911 View Post
    I've done ute several times as well. Lately been trying my luck on falcon trail , but only sections at a time. I have also done Palmer park but it is not easy in certain sections. Been wanting to try some trails over in the red rocks area too.
    I hike RR a lot and would love to get the bike over there. Also, I recall the Falcon trail but was never on it... kinda forgot about it.

If you are up for doing some riding, send me a PM and we can figure out a plan to meet up sometime. I"m over by Rangewood / Woodman rd (Cottonwood Creek).

~brian

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    If it helps, you ought to think of the many readers that follow posts and learn things as they read, are empowered by others success or pass this information on to others as a resource for using their bike to get healthy.
    that's exactly how I got started on this!!!

Stick with it for yourself, your family and all the anonymous readers out there (or here) ... lol
    stuck like glue!!!

I"ll probably see you out on the trail or path sometime. Was just up at Baptist rd trail-head Friday doing a ride with a friend to Palmer lake.
    If you see a green Airborne Goblin cruising along, it's probably me so gimme a shout... Baptist is the far north end of the "long ride" (as a matter of fact, it's almost the exact marker for the turnaround point for the 25 mile ride) so we will just barely be overlapping....

mtbr member
    May 2012
    interesting thoughts on the book, have to keep that in mind

mtbr member
    May 2012
    delete
    Last edited by la10slgr; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:02 PM.

Co Springs

If you see a green Airborne Goblin cruising along, it's probably me so gimme a shout... Baptist is the far north end of the "long ride" (as a matter of fact, it's almost the exact marker for the turnaround point for the 25 mile ride) so we will just barely be overlapping....
    Well I hope I see you out there. Would love to see the bike and hear your impressions.

I sometimes do the trail from Woodman rd north but the guy's I rode with don't go quite up to or much past the South ent. I'd be getting in a nice ride getting to or near Baptist and can also ride from home to Woodman / I-25 via the Cottonwood path, about 5 miles one way. I'll keep an eye out.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    delete
    Last edited by la10slgr; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:02 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hawks1911 View Post
    I have also done Palmer park but it is not easy in certain sections.
    you can say that again!!! just tried palmer the other day and nearly killed myself multiple times.... I don't get how you can call some of those sections "blue" especially one part where i came upon this 20 foot cliff!!!

Co Springs
    Palmer Park has a lot of character but you can get into trouble. I've hiked it enough to know some trails that I'd be walking the bike too much and avoiding those or hike/bike in sections is my method of skirting the Emergency Dept.
    Lately, I've been riding with many far above my tech skills and fitness level but that has been by design. They are gracious enough to offer some tips and wait at some key intersections where I'd be left in the dust. My skills and fitness will improve but I have little interest in plummeting down dried up water falls of boulders and tree roots. If my improvement plan affords me the ability to get through the tough stuff w/o much walking and at a reasonable speed that won't risk life and limb, I'll be very pleased and that is primary to the extent of my goal aside from fitness.
    It may be that I've hit a wall knowing speed and momentum are what gets through the dangerous troughs yet my lack of experience and confidence, fear of crashing and temptation to grab the brakes is the wall.

Practice on the small stuff and work up to it. Palmer has lots of trails that are no trouble at all and can be linked to lots of stuff for some fun rides. You will be doing some climbing though.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Palmer Park has a lot of character but you can get into trouble. I've hiked it enough to know some trails that I'd be walking the bike too much and avoiding those or hike/bike in sections is my method of skirting the Emergency Dept.
    Lately, I've been riding with many far above my tech skills and fitness level but that has been by design. They are gracious enough to offer some tips and wait at some key intersections where I'd be left in the dust.
    I've used the same philosophy lately and have also been doing a fair amount of hiking, although mine has been quite involuntary... I just need to get better familiarized with these trials as you have. I also have been riding with a couple of guys that are way above my skill level and you are right in that it is VERY helpful to be with them to see what can be done better...

My skills and fitness will improve but I have little interest in plummeting down dried up water falls of boulders and tree roots. If my improvement plan affords me the ability to get through the tough stuff w/o much walking and at a reasonable speed that won't risk life and limb, I'll be very pleased and that is primary to the extent of my goal aside from fitness.
    You took the words right from my mouth on this part!

It may be that I've hit a wall knowing speed and momentum are what gets through the dangerous troughs yet my lack of experience and confidence, fear of crashing and temptation to grab the brakes is the wall.
    Ironically, I have just recently begun working on this as well and you are right in that the natural instinct to grab those brakes is STRONG!!! Having said that, I am going over some drops and thankfully I have had enough speed... once I get over that hump I think the downhill stuff will b e much more fun (of course it is already the most fun, just mores...)

Practice on the small stuff and work up to it. Palmer has lots of trails that are no trouble at all and can be linked to lots of stuff for some fun rides. You will be doing some climbing though.
    I don't mind the climbing as that is the best for improving endurance and strength. I guess I will have to give it another shot (Palmer Park) but I will tell you this, I had a blast at Ute Valley yesterday simply because I was back in familiar surroundings and knew where the "pitfalls" were... I'm working on creating a loop for myself there but haven't done so as of yet. I do have one in my head but i want to avoid having to do any hiking and the loop I know of has one section that is definitely too steep to ride up (although I've seen someone do it, I mentioned this awhile ago in one of my posts) and I'm 90% sure I'll never ride down it either....

Co Springs
    Ute is a fun treat when I get bored at some other parks. I like it for being so open and it dries up fast versus Stratton/Cheyenne and Palmer if you are out from a recent soaking.

Lately, I'm using the principle I read of in the health book. The guy went out and tried all kinds of things to de-mystify the hype of certain diets and exercise. One thing that caught my eye was the benefit of time-saving if indeed you can truly get a hyper workout and net the same/similar benefits.
    On that theme where I might think of skipping a ride due to time constraints, I found a pretty good hill in my area so I created a loop that is getting this hill out of the way first and rolling back home in approx 2 miles total. This is a good work out for me, yet I'm devoting very little time to it, say 12 - 15 minutes.

Also, I am a big believer in cross-training in the respect that some down hill runs or faster trails on the mtn bike keep you sharp as a skier and when I'm out with hiking buddies, I sometimes jog down a rocky, battered trail because it keeps me thinking about balance, timing, looking farther out to pick the right line; this confluence of a few decisions that demands multitasking.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 06-28-2014 at 12:36 AM.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    May 2012
    delete
    Last edited by la10slgr; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:00 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Lately, I'm using the principle I read of in the health book. The guy went out and tried all kinds of things to de-mystify the hype of certain diets and exercise. One thing that caught my eye was the benefit of time-saving if indeed you can truly get a hyper workout and net the same/similar benefits.
    On that theme where I might think of skipping a ride due to time constraints, I found a pretty good hill in my area so I created a loop that is getting this hill out of the way first and rolling back home in approx 2 miles total. This is a good work out for me, yet I'm devoting very little time to it, say 12 - 15 minutes.
    This is one thing I can't do but wish I could... by the time I get stretched out, then go ride/workout, then get cleaned up (I HAVE to shower after working out, skin is too oily not to...) it doesn't make any sense to go to all that trouble to only work out for 15 minutes... Wish it did though because that would be helpful for those times where time is of the essence...
    Last edited by la10slgr; 07-02-2014 at 06:28 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    delete
    Last edited by la10slgr; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:01 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    delete
    Last edited by la10slgr; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:06 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    delete
    Last edited by la10slgr; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:06 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    delete
    Last edited by la10slgr; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:01 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    delete
    Last edited by la10slgr; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Steady riding, reduced size portion, label reading, calorie counting, and NO JUNK FOOD. 37 pounds since Christmas. No life changing story. I am doing it for me.

mtbr member
    Sorry to be a thread Nazi, but this thread should stay on topic to before and after stories/pics. If you want to make regular updates, please start your own thread. When you make some good progress then come back here and tell us your great accomplishment.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    Sorry to be a thread Nazi, but this thread should stay on topic to before and after stories/pics. If you want to make regular updates, please start your own thread. When you make some good progress then come back here and tell us your great accomplishment.
    For clarification (mine), what is the offending topic?

I haven't perused this in a few weeks but it seemed the process / progress was/is the methodology and aligned with the topic.
    I assume that is still so ?

thank you;

~brian
    Last edited by bachman1961; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:39 PM.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    For clarification (mine), what is the offending topic?

I haven't perused this is a few weeks but it seemed the process / progress was/is the methodology and aligned with the topic.
    I assume that is still so ?

thank you;

~brian
    Basically I feel this thread should be used for showing before and after pics along with your story of what was accomplished. Before, meaning when I was a real fatty, and After meaning 'look' I have dropped 50 pounds.

If you are using this thread to report on your vacation eating habits or tracking your weight and daily exercises..I do not feel that is on topic. That is why I recommended people start their own threads. The Clyde forum has weekly weigh in and mileage report threads for tracking statistics. I am not going to call out any specific offenders.

As an example...look at post 1 of this thread.

1) Before & After Weight (or dimensions/etc)
    2) Before & After Photos
    3) How long it took to transform yourself
    4) Brief Statement of how you did it

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast