Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    4-9-14 to 4-15-14: 1 MTN bike ride (42 mins, 5.23 miles, 7.4 avg.), 1 short trial ride (10.88 miles, 13.9 avg.), 1 long trail ride (15.03 miles, 13.1 avg.), 1 incline on treadmill (1 hour, 8-10% incline, 3 miles)

Finally got that actual mountain biking in this week!!! I did fairly well, not great but pretty good… I was able to do the climbs like I had hoped although there is definitely room for improvement… One thing that held me back a little is I am either A) too far “up” on my bike when climbing, B) my rear tire is worn down, or C) a combination of A and B… Regardless, I kept spinning my back tire on big climbs which obviously killed the momentum.. I have kind of built it up in my head that being able to stand up and pedal while going up an incline is somewhat of an achievement conditioning wise so I’m gonna blame the tires……………. I guess the cheap and easy first solution is to switch my front and back tires and see if that makes a difference.. If not, I may just need to go buy some new tires…. Then hopefully not be sad that the tires weren’t the problem…. If anyone has any thoughts about proper technique, I am all ears!!!

As for the trail rides….
    Short rides: A couple of weeks ago, I was hoping to accomplish an average speed of 13.0-13.5 for the entire ride… Well, last week I hit 13.5 and this week jumped up to 13.9!!! I don’t know how I compare to the rest of the world (actually, couple of thoughts about that coming up…) but I have improved my average speed on my short rides by 2 mph over the past month, which feels like a pretty big accomplishment!!! For some reason, this is becoming a big motivator for me to keep trying to go faster than the last time and it’s really getting me to push myself throughout the entire ride. I would have thought a 14mph average over the course of any ride on this particular trail to be a pipedream… and here I am .1 away from actually doing it!!! I do find myself wondering what my ceiling is…. Of course, the downside to this is the time it takes to complete the short rides is decreasing as well (I have cut 4 minutes off the ride time!).. I see it as somewhat of a reward in that continuing to push myself to improve results in a shorter workout….

Long rides: I added 2 miles to the ride this week which turned out to be a big help breaking down a mental barrier. Case in point: the 2 miles I added are somewhat difficult in that there are a couple of pretty long, slow climbs.. I remember not really liking this particular section from when I used to do these rides so I guess I was avoiding it to some extent… Well, having done it, and found that it isn’t the worst thing to ever happen, the gate is now open to the longer rides that are much flatter and will really help me add distance to the long rides. I am planning on adding at least 2 more miles next week but we will play that one by ear (I will go longer if I feel up to it, but 2 is the minimum regardless..)

Treadmill: It is what it is, I will say I find it getting incrementally easier to do the 8-10% incline pyramid.. I won’t go so far as to say I actually like doing treadmill work but it does have its place as it is a different workout (both running and doing incline) and is also a timesaver during the week…

Food: Well, had to admit to myself that just eating a bit less wasn’t really cutting it and had to come up with a plan. Thanks to those that have posted lately indicating proper diet is imperative if you are really serious about dropping pounds. Like I previously mentioned somewhere in here, we all know what we need to do, it’s a matter of accepting it and actually doing it…. My current plan is a takeoff from when I did weightwatchers a few years ago but with my own spin so as to not get bogged down in the details.. I hated how I had to document every component of something in order to be accurate and when it came down to it, that is why I quit using it… So, along those lines, I made myself a little food log to grade myself on how well I eat throughout the day/week. In its initial/current form, it is a simple, 3-point grading system (1 = good, 0 = “meh”, -1 = bad) on which I grade myself on breakfast, lunch, dinner, and “other” food (nonmeals) There is an additional category I have labeled “beer” that is not part of the daily routine but does come in to play. I will admit that come Saturday, playing some cards and having some beers with the guys happens fairly regularly (< ---- understatement) and I think this should be included so that I am honest with myself with the impact beer has on my overall goals..

I am in the process of establishing my baseline and will work to improve each week as I go.. Once I know where I am on my scoring system, my aim is to improve my score each week until I find an ideal score to judge myself against. I’m not one of those ultracompetitive people that has to win at absolutely everything but I do have a competitive spirit so my hope is that while competing against myself on this, I will begin to see some more weight loss than I am seeing now.

When it comes to caloric intake, I have adopted the mantra “Is it worth it?” that I am asking myself before I consume anything. In the few days I have been using it, it has already changed my mind a few times before eating. For instance, not only did I order a salad for dinner Instead of fried chicken and mashed potatoes), I found myself doing the “dip the fork in the dressing” maneuver instead of just pouring it all over my salad.. and needing more… Yes there was a difference in taste, but it wasn’t terrible, and I found I used less than ½ the amount of dressing I normally use (maybe even 1/3!!!)… In my grading system, that took me from a “0” (good that I’m having a salad, but I do love me some ranch) to a “+” because of the minimal use of ranch. My hopes are that I become really invested in this and just take it and run with it…

As for “I don’t know how I compare to the rest of the world.” If you are reading through these posts of mine, it is pretty evident I had a better week this week when compared to last… However, there were two moments this week that were pretty much a sucker punch to the gut:

Moment 1: While on the short trial ride and feeling pretty good that I was going to do better than the 13.5 average of my last ride, Mr. Man comes WHIZZING by me and pretty much makes my “wow” pace look like I am walking………
    Moment 2: While MTN biking there is one section that contains about 5 subsections that in themselves are not that bad… However, all 5 of those subsections are one after the other to make for a pretty scary looking section… Let’s say all together the “section” is about 15 yards long and the 5 “subsections” equate to a 10-15 foot drop total.. First off, I see the line that people take but I decide that it’s not worth it to try to ride as any miscue has the very likely result of explaining injuries to medical staff… So having done that, I am obviously not even going to consider the option of going UP as 1) there’s just no way I can do it, and 2) I really think it is IMPOSSIBLE anyone can do it!!!! So, having walked my bike up, pride still intact, I am getting ready to ride up what I consider to be an insane climb at the very top of my abilities, but at least it is relatively smooth…….. just as I am getting ready to go, a lady about my age, maybe even a little older (45+/-) comes RIDING around the corner!!! I ask her incredulously “Did you just ride UP that???!!!” and she responds “Yeah, but it was really hard!” I tell her she is an amazing rider and she says “thanks” and continues on her way….

Moral of the stories: Here in Colorado Springs there are MANY riders that are probably elite in their abilities…. If I compare myself to them, the only real option is to just go home…. I just need to compare myself to myself and as long as I am getting better each week then so be it…

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Fwiw: just used "is it worth it?" And talked myself out of a couple of cookies....

mtbr member
    la10sigr,

Good job. It is all about seeing what little there is in the food. It isn't worth it.

John

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    la10sigr,

Good job. It is all about seeing what little there is in the food. It isn't worth it.

John
    thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    4-16-14 to 4-21-14: 1 incline on treadmill (1 hour, 8-10% incline, 3 miles), 1 short trail ride (10.90 miles, 13.8 avg.), 1 run (60 mins, 4.43 miles), 1 run (40 mins, 2.95 miles)

Time constraints and cold/bad weather kept a lot of activity indoors this week, but at least I got all 4 workouts in (well, 3 2/3…) For some reason, bad weather seems to be constantly looming over the horizon lately.. It has literally been in the low 70s one day then 35 degrees with snow the next….. the only reason I got the short trail ride in yesterday was because I finally said “to hell with it, if it rains it rains…” Regardless, summer is coming…. I just really hope some part of Colorado Springs isn’t ablaze again this summer…. (yes again, as in, we have had huge fires the last two summers…… the first of which was only ¼ mile from burning my house down… as it was, it did burn down something like 250 houses… and the one last summer burned 300+ homes…) Anyhow, on to the report…

As for the trail rides….
    Short rides: I cut out a “pit stop” so instead of 2, now only have one break at the ½ way point.. I never planned on actually skipping the break but had just passed a couple of ladies running and didn’t want to have to pass them again as they weren’t too good at sharing the trail (by the way; why do people insist on running 2-3 abreast, on a trail that is no wider than a car lane, then not pay attention to the surrounding environment???!!!) For the sake of improved conditioning, I think that was worthy of costing myself .1 mph…. Although I reeeeallllly want to hit that 14mph average…

Long rides: N/A, These are supposed to happen on Saturday and with all of the Easter preparations going on, it just didn’t fit into the schedule….

MTbike rides: time constraints and weather blah blah blah…….

Treadmill: to make up for having to cut one run short, I increased my run intervals to 2-minutes, which equates to 1/5 mile each interval… However, it did take about 2 minutes worth of walking pace before I was ready to do it again so it ended up being 2 minutes running then 2 minutes walking. I think this is good in that I am getting closer to doing ¼ mile intervals because my goal is ¼ mile runs (at 6mph) with 90 second walking breaks in between… Once I accomplish that, I will increase the speed on the runs and hopefully get to a speed that can actually be considered running….

Food: This was REALLY on my mind this week as it was the first full week of keeping track of what I ate. On my aforementioned grading system, the best possible score I can get for the week is +28, and the worst is -28 (and then further down if/when beer comes into play…). For the week, I received a score of “+6” which will be my baseline. Note: this is not a true baseline as some effort was put forth to eat better… I think an honest baseline score would have been in the neighborhood of -10… At any rate, it is obvious some better choices could have been made over the course of the week but I feel pretty good in that I am heading in the right direction.

I know the mantra of “is it worth it?” is going to be a huge part of this whole thing as there were a handful of occasions where it really drove me to think about what I was going to eat and caused me to change course… However, not having it ingrained as a habit yet, I did forget all about it on a few opportunities… At this stage I am trying to use it to convince myself to simply make better choices than I have historically. For example, 16 ounce fatty steaks are turning into 8 ounce leaner cuts, large orders are turning into small orders, eating out is turning into making something myself… Hopefully it is evident I’m not breaking my arm patting myself on the back at this moment because big changes still need to come, but for the time being, improvement is being made as I am doing better than I was previously. I will say one perk is that smaller portions cost less money!!!

Now for the good news, I still don’t know about my official weight, but I do know that my clothes are fitting better!!! Pants that I barely (if even) fit into two months ago are almost an appropriate fit now and I’m almost to the point where I could dare tuck in a shirt if I were so inclined (not quite yet, but getting there). Also, my shirts are fitting better and ones that were getting bypassed because they were too tight are getting reintroduced to the rotation…. I will say some of my bigger shirts that fit comfortably are starting to look too big….

On a final note… I cannot even begin to explain how much typing out these updates every week has helped me to stay on track. There has been minimal response from anyone reading these posts (which is fine..) but the mere act of posting these updates every week has brought me a level of commitment I have never had before when it comes to getting in shape and dropping pounds. Multiple times per week, I find myself wavering on something and find myself thinking “..but then I will have to post it!” which convinces me to go ahead and do whatever that particular thing is. Case in point, Easter Sunday: with all of the family obligations going on (eggs with the kids, helping prepare dishes for dinner, spending the afternoon/evening at the in-laws…), I had every EXCUSE to not work out.. However, because I would have to admit publicly that I flaked out, and I didn’t exercise on Saturday for much the same reasons, I squeezed in a workout, ON EASTER, as not doing so would have resulted in only three workouts this week… Sure it was only a 40-minute stint on the treadmill (vs. the standard 60 minutes) but within that 40 minutes I broke down another barrier and increased my running intervals by 30 seconds which will now be my new standard (I hope anyways…) This would not have happened without the accountability I get from posting these updates. Another example would be the food log.. Without having to admit that I was doing all of this working out and barely losing any weight, it would have taken much, much longer for me to admit to myself the “eating less” approach wasn’t working.. Just some food for thought for anyone considering such an approach…
    Last edited by la10slgr; 04-29-2014 at 09:38 AM.
    It's the epitome of irony that I ride an Airborne...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    4-22-14 to 4-28-14: 1 long trail ride (time: 1.13.22 17.02 miles, 13.9 avg.), 1 MTN bike ride (time: 41.05, 5.56 miles, 8.1 avg. ), 1 incline on treadmill (time: 60.0, 8-10% incline, 3 miles),

What a week… things started out fantastic then came the weekend and it just totally fell apart…. I was all excited (and admittedly a little proud of myself for how well I have been doing with this…) and then next thing I know, I literally found myself asking “What the hell happened???!!!” I guess I was caught off-guard (maybe got a little cocky) when it came to staying the course. Ultimately, it boils down to I let others have too much of an influence on my weekend…

Workouts:
    Short rides: No short ride this week..

Long rides: Added on those 2 extra miles for a total of 17. At approximately 7.5 miles into the ride (1 mile to go before turning around) a storm came in with huge gusts of wind and rain.. I literally had the bike turned around to head back into the trees to wait for the storm to pass and I thought to myself “f.. this!!! I’m getting the 17!!” and I turned around and continued on for the last mile.. Ironically, it was a really fast moving storm and it cleared out very quickly so the storm really wasn’t an issue for more than a couple of minutes…. The ride felt good and it was a perfect distance as I was definitely tired (and a little sore the next day) but wasn’t overly exhausted… I don’t know how I maintained the 13.9 average for the whole ride, but there it is… I will say I have identified that when I start to get tired I apparently let my legs/knees point outward. Riding with the clipless pedals obviously makes that pretty difficult (as I am not a contortionist) so not only am I keeping my legs/knees pointed ahead, I am also using that as a reminder to use the upstroke as well when pedaling.. Definitely helps with the speed… Considering the next few miles on the trail are pretty flat and straight, I will add two more on the next ride..

MTN bike rides: Got another ride in and honestly noticed a big difference when compared to the first ride.. I was able to climb A LOT longer than the first time and did more of it. I really don’t know how I maintained the 8.1 average as I would have guessed I was somewhere in the 5-6 range.. I guess those downhill sections were verrry helpful… Thing is, I did this ride the day after I did the long ride and as I mentioned, my legs were a little sore and they were definitely “tired.” This would lead to believe that I should do even better next time..

Treadmill: Ended up doing the incline routine instead of the short ride this week as it was stormy (again…) no big change here with the exception of it continuing to get just a little bit easier each time.. I think within the next couple of times I will have to bump the speed up a notch… Only real difficulty is it seems to put my lower back in somewhat of an awkward position as I have to stop at the midway point, not because I’m tired, but to stretch my back out some..

Food: -1… Yeah……….. Up through Friday I was cruising along… was already at +6 for the week (same score I had last week… already matched and ready to build upon) and was poised to end the week somewhere in the range of +10… I was doing so well that I even let a few peanut m&m’s (-1) sneak in as something of a reward for being so diligent…. Then the weekend came. I really don’t know how to describe it, it was like my brain turned off… Spent Saturday up in Denver doing kid/family stuff and of course my wife wants to have Wendy’s… Well, having already had their grilled chicken sandwich (which I really don’t like) and salad 2x recently, I decide to get a single cheeseburger and salad (-1 due to the cheeseburger..) Then comes poker night, which I had already figured was going to take a hit but was still doing well… Of course, after a couple of beers, eating healthy filters go by the wayside and it just gets ugly…(-1 for crappy finger food, -2 for beers)…. But then it keeps going!!! Come Sunday my wife suggests Chipotle for lunch… Before I even consider the ramifications (out of old habits?) I have a steak burrito… (-1 again…) Now here’s the kicker.. wife wants pizza for dinner!!! Arggh!!! So now is it not only -1 (again!!!) for dinner but that leads to another -1 for lunch the next day by having pizza leftovers for lunch…………

I am totally kicking myself for letting this weekend go down like it did… I am a big “internal locus of control” person as I believe at the end of the day it is ultimately ones own that decides their fate and it is ultimately my fault I let things get all wonky this weekend.. Having said that, it is definitely hard to stay the course when external factors come in to play and you aren’t used to avoiding those challenges… Ironically, I was all up-in-arms that I didn’t get my workout in on Saturday and then I go and really blow the food part of it.. To top it off, I didn’t even have the “mmph” to work out on Sunday as I spent a large part of the afternoon doing yard work… Can’t say I’m at the point where I spend a few hours doing yard work and go on a bike ride on the same day… It was unbelievable how over the course of a couple days I went from “yes!!! I got this!!!” to “what the hell happened???”

I guess the positive in this is that it was a big lesson hopefully learned.. Within that, I definitely learned that I am not at the point where I can “let my guard down” as evidence is strong that I can’t handle that at this point… the poker night was mostly factored in to the overall week but the fast food on Sunday, and ensuing leftovers, really caught me off-guard.. Hopefully the proof in “lessons learned” will come within next week’s report..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    La10slgr, great posts. What part of the springs are you in? I'm also from the Springs.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hawks1911 View Post
    La10slgr, great posts. What part of the springs are you in? I'm also from the Springs.
    Thanks, just wish last weeks was better, i live in the rockrimmon area by ute valley, you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Haha. I do too. I'm right off 25 and Woodman in Rockrimmon.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hawks1911 View Post
    Haha. I do too. I'm right off 25 and Woodman in Rockrimmon.
    small world!!! so the "trail rides" are obviously up and down santa fe and as of right now the "actual mtn biking" is happening in ute valley... i am working on plans to broaden my horizons to palmer park and cheyenne canon here soon.. where do you ride?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've done ute several times as well. Lately been trying my luck on falcon trail , but only sections at a time. I have also done Palmer park but it is not easy in certain sections. Been wanting to try some trails over in the red rocks area too.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    4-29-14 to 5-5-14: 1 long trail ride (time: 1.01.18, 11.55 miles, 11.3 avg.), 1 short trail ride (time: 45.02, 10.82 miles, 14.4 avg.)1 incline on treadmill (time: 60.0, 8-10% incline, 3 miles), 1 run on treadmill (time: 60.0, 4.5 miles),

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I HATE WIND!!! It seems like it has been nothing but windy around here in the afternoons lately… Even when it doesn’t seem windy by the time I get riding, there it is…. Brought a little variety to the program this week and barely rebounded from the food situation of last week…

Workouts:
    Short rides: Got that 14.0 average I was looking for (14.4 actually!!!) and that was with two things going against me.. First of which was the wind (see what I did there???) as it really affected the “strategy” of the ride as it kept me from using momentum in a couple of spots and forced me to have to work just a little bit more, particularly on climbs where I usually have some momentum… The second is when I stop at the ½ way point and take a break. I didn’t notice until I was ready to start back up, but apparently the sensor on my wheel was right at the sensor on my fork so as I stood there the sensors kept on connecting and telling the computer I was puttering along at around 2mph… I don’t really time my breaks (get my breath back, drink some water, then go) but let’s say 3-4 minutes I was standing there unwittingly decreasing my average…. If I remember correctly from when I stopped, it seems I lost .2 on the average while I was standing there.. Who knows what might have been??? Guess I will just have to do it again…. Overall, I will say it felt really good to hit that 14 average as that has been a big goal of mine the past few weeks… I know there will be a point where I just can’t really expect to keep going up like I currently am but the improvements I am seeing on these short rides are my big motivator right now…

Long rides: Decided to change it up this week as it snowed a little bit a few days prior (nothing big, just a dusting) and I didn’t know if the trail would be dried out, Also, I was curious about a road ride I had mapped out in my head so I figured “why not give it a shot?”.. This… ride… sucked!!! First off it was windy as hell (have I mentioned I hate wind???) the wind was blowing to the south which made the downhill part of it that much easier, it really made the first part of the ride a breeze (ha!!! 2x!!!)… Once I started going north, the wind was obviously in my face but to make matters worse, I learned (quite the hard way) that I was essentially on a 5.5 mile climb!!! Part of the reason I wanted to do the ride is I knew there were some long, steady climbs (I factored in 3 of these) and I wanted to see how I would do on those with the intent of getting in a little better shape for mtn. biking…. The part that I didn’t factor in was that aside from the actual climbs, the rest of the riding continued to be at somewhat of an incline.. To make matters worse, during one of the few points where I got a reprieve and was actually going downhill (into the wind) and should have really been able to coast and gain some momentum, it was so windy that the max speed on the downhill part was 12.8mph… Ridiculous!!! To top it off, combine the wind and the inclines together and you got a fat guy on a bike riding at about 5-6 mph…. that part was just pathetic but I couldn’t do anything about it…..Well, I made it at least and I will say this… I had the opportunity to flake out on the biggest climb of the whole ride (the last one) as I could have gone a different route and avoided it but I decided to stick with the plan and make myself do it… I’m sure in some cosmic way it was rewarding… Here’s the crazy part, I want to do the ride again on a day when it isn’t windy just so I can get a true sense of what that particular ride is really like without the wind and decide if it is worth adding into the rotation…

MTN bike rides: Didn’t do one this week.. This turned into a treadmill day, explanation forthcoming below (relating to yard work)…

Treadmill: I increased the run split to 2 minutes running /1.5 minutes walking. This was hard, not impossible but hard…. Seems in my mind that I should have gotten close to 5 miles within the hour time frame. Needless to say, I was quite disappointed when it was only 4.5 miles when all was said and done… I’m not so bothered by the fact that it was 4.5 miles, rather, it was the fact that I worked much harder than when I was doing the 2/2 split (2 minutes for each) only to add .17 miles to the total… As for the incline workout, nothing new here aside from the fact I did get stretched out enough prior I didn’t have to stop midway and stretch my back…

Food: +1… Little better than last week but not quite right either… At this time of year (towards the end of the school year), little things just keep popping up and next thing you know…. I will say this, there were MANY opportunities this week for me to have had a worse week than last week. Ironically, there was a lot of effort that went into achieving the +1 so I actually feel pretty good about it. Now if I can just get those “out of nowhere” moments out of my day….

I am noticing my easy grading system isn’t so cut and dry as I find myself torn between using “better than I used to eat” and “healthy by every day standards” as the criteria. My original intent was to use “better than I used to eat” for x amount of time then progress to the latter when the former wasn’t cutting it anymore. However, I find I am grading myself really hard and ultimately using the latter as my criteria which in one way is good (have to eat even healthier to get the score) but in another way is bad in that it kinda feels like the bar is too high and gets frustrating… Guess I will keep going and see what falls out…

Now that spring is here, it should theoretically be getting easier and easier to get out and ride.. I have previously alluded to the fact that I am pretty busy (with life in general..) and I have to really, really work to make sure I get the workouts in. New factor emerged last week that I hadn’t really counted on when I started and that is having to do yard work at some point during the week… It usually takes me a few hours to do everything and I have traditionally done it on Saturday. Now that this workout thing is a factor the Saturday workout isn’t so easy… Case in point: Having spent a few hours in the yard last Saturday, the last thing I wanted to do was go for a bike ride… I compromised and forced myself (yes, literally forced myself because I did NOT want to do it…) to do the treadmill incline workout but that was only because the overall time involved was less than a bike ride, and to be perfectly honest, it was the lesser “evil” in that I didn’t have to strain terribly hard (running, climbing, etc..) to actually do it… I am going to see if I can do the yard work on Friday afternoons to free up Saturday but I’m a little pessimistic in that the last thing I want to do on a Friday afternoon is come home from work and get right on yard work…. The good news is my schedule really opens up in about three weeks and these problems will be resolved for sure at that time…

And now to end on a positive note… I was in a hurry yesterday and didn’t pay attention to what pair of shorts I was grabbing… The pair of shorts I ended up grabbing had pretty much been cast aside into the “doesn’t fit” category…. Well, as of yesterday, they are in the “hey!!! They fit!!!” category…. I still have no idea what weight I have actually lost (but am increasingly curious) but I do know it feels great every morning to put on clothes that I used to have to squeeze into and have them feel like they are the right size…

Vincit qui patitur
    Name:  WL3.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  59.3 KB
    Started almost two years ago.
    260# to 230#
    Not much weight but size, attitude and health has significantly changed.
    Some of the weight I lost is due to having a smaller wallet and less room in the garage.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    May 2012
    5-6-14 to 5-12-14: 1 incline on treadmill (time: 60.0, 8-10% incline, 3.1 miles), 2 treadmill runs (time: 60.0, 4.51 miles, time: 60.0, 4.76 miles),

As you can see, the bike stayed in the garage this week. Lately, it seems every afternoon some kind of storm (wind rain, predictions of rain, snow…) comes rolling in which just brings me joy because I sure do love the treadmill (< -- sarcasm…) We even got about 4 inches of snow this weekend… To top it off, that whole “try to move the Saturday work out to Friday” thing crashed and burned as well.. I was going to get it in on Sunday but it seems there was some little holiday called “Mother’s Day” that is pretty important to some people…. Who knew????

Workouts:
    Short rides: Nope

Long rides: Uh-uh

MTN bike rides: Nada

Treadmill: On the first run, I continued the run split at 2 minutes running /1m30s walking but did the last segment at 7mph instead of 6… The 7mph didn’t kill me… Sooo, based on that, (and my aforementioned disappointment that I thought I was going to get more than 4.5 miles last week) I decided to bump my run segment up to 7mph for the entire hour… To not kill myself, I dropped the splits back down to 1m30s running and 1m30s walking (walking/recovering… same thing!!) Ironically, it was really hard in the beginning because I am not used to going that “fast” so I kinda had to work just to keep up with myself (I use the term “fast” loosely because even in my prime I was never, ever, ever considered fast… so bear with me on that…) Of course the workout was hard and I was definitely winded after each run segment but once my legs got used to the increased rate it almost got easier from an “I can do this” standpoint as the run progressed… Of course, I was totally wiped out after the run was over… Overall, I ended that run at 4.76 miles (in 1 hour) and was pretty happy with that. I checked against when I first started keeping data for this (in early March) and I have added over ½ mile (.56 to be exact) to the run within the same time frame (1 hour)!!! Pretty impressed with myself about that… As for the incline workout, I increased the speed to 3.1mph (up from 3.0 mph) and it was pretty amazing what that measly little .1mph can do to a guy over the course of an hour…. Again, not impossible, but the difference in difficulty was definitely noticeable…

Food: +5… Getting back on track… I started to “right the ship” as far as being consistent in what gets me a “+1” versus a “0” versus a “-1” At this point, it boils down to portion size and overall “quality” of the food/meal as being the determining factors. At my current level, I can still manage to get a +1 if I eat something that is “so-so” on the quality (let’s say chicken tacos.. corn shells deep fried, but after that, grilled chicken, some lettuce, a little cheese and verde sauce… no sour cream or beans) if I eat a smaller portion (let’s say 2 tacos instead of 3… or 4…) In addition to that, I am making progress by eating “good” food and decreasing “bad” intake.. I’m kind of getting used to eating healthier options but am curious as to the sustainability of this mindset. Right now I am definitely moving in the right direction as I am most definitely eating smaller portions and I am making better choices more and more (side salads instead of fries, veggies instead of potatoes, chicken instead of red meat, leaner red meat instead of fatty red meat…) For the sake of full disclosure and clarity, I’m not saying I have totally cut out the bad stuff, it’s just that I am in the process of minimizing it and trying to eat less and less of it…… However, knowing myself as I do, I am worried that I will hit the point of being sick of it and revolting against myself. I know it sounds weird but that is the best I can describe it.. I just get to the point where I do something I don’t want to do for so long and out of nowhere I suddenly say “f.. it!!” and revert back to old habits and throw away all the work I had put in… and end up where I am…. That is why I am going about this food change slowly (and if you’ve read my posts, why I avoided the food component for a while until I realized I wasn’t going to get far without it..) I really really (really!!!) want to make this work so the best thing I can come up with is a slow and gradual change versus going all “gung ho” and forcing myself to do stuff that I don’t want to do… which has been my plan all along (well, since I started anyway) and I seem to have lost sight of that lately…

WOW!!! Prior to typing the previous segment, all of those thoughts were kind of a muddled mess in my head… Over the past couple of weeks, the food thing has been difficult in that I kind of got lost as far as judging myself at my current level versus judging myself at a future level. I started down the path of grading myself really strictly (anything less than a grilled chicken breast and salad with calorie-free dressing equals a “0” or a “-1”!!!) and began to forget that I am not currently at that level and need to relax a bit.. With just typing it out, I was able to recognize that I am definitely implementing my plan, it’s just that I need to remember things I am trying to do (keep trying to get better each week, make smart choices, seize opportunities when they present themselves) and keep doing them and focus on the short-term.. The long-term goals will come… in the long-term…. There’s some quote that would be great here… but I can’t remember it… Something along the lines of keeping the important things important or the simple things simple… something like that…. Alas….

Musings: So I’ve reached the point where the mental aspect of the game is really coming in to play (see above rant…) Now on the exercise front. I’m at the point where I am doing things at a level I have never done before or at least haven’t done for a loooong time.. For example, the treadmill part and getting close to doing 5 miles within an hour… I’ve never been a runner (still hate running) so the fact that I am doing nearly 5 miles worth of distance within one hour is mind blowing to me because the FARTHEST I ever ran at once was a mile, back in high school.. and I HATED doing it then…. While doing the 4.76 mile stint I found that it wasn’t necessarily the physical aspect that was keeping me down (which was shocking in and of itself), it was the mental thoughts of “me? 5 miles? Whatever???!!!” that were keeping me back. Once I got about ½ way through I found myself thinking “I can get through this” and I was able to get through the entire workout.. The brain is an amazing thing, I guess I need to keep working on developing the “I can do this!” mindset and keep knocking down those barriers that have held me back in the past. I can’t even begin to tell you the number of times lately I have found myself thinking “that wasn’t so bad” after doing something (e.g., making better food choices, increasing exercise load) and obviously felt better about myself and my abilities afterward…

Here’s to hoping the weather clears up this week.. After typing all of this, I realized the long bike ride hasn’t happened for awhile so I’m kinda itchy to do that and get those extra couple of miles added on..

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Had a moment today… My daughter’s preschool has something called “donuts for daddies” in which all the dads come in and have a snack with their kids (donut, -1 for “other stuff” today..). The premise is that since they are out of school during Father’s Day, they do it right before the end of the school year.. Part of the event is the kids all made some little Father’s Day presents… Within that, there was a little card where the teacher asked the kids about their dads and wrote down the responses. One of the prompts was “My daddy likes to:___” and my daughter answered “ride his bike and exercise”

Considering my “aha moment” (the moment I decided to start to change my life and start riding) was: “ I don’t want to die of a heart attack or stroke before I can watch my kids grow up;” this really, really, really meant a lot to me. I have to say, it made me so proud to know that I am doing something about my weight and have been at it long enough that she sees me as that person.. Incredibly powerful and moving is all I can say… Not that I was lacking in dedication or commitment before today, but I will say it is through the roof now..

Not to mention, it seems I am also planting the seed in her mind that exercise and being healthy is important…

What a day!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm 6' 2" & I'm down to 227 lbs from 275 lbs (48 lbs) since getting my Transition Covert middle of last summer.

200 lbs is my goal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BEFORE &amp; AFTER success story photo's-lessfat.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DarknutMike View Post
    I'm 6' 2" & I'm down to 227 lbs from 275 lbs (48 lbs) since getting my Transition Covert middle of last summer.

200 lbs is my goal
    well done!!! not much to see as it is only your face (and you have sunglasses on) but one can see your face is less round (features are more evident)... keep going!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    5-13-14 to 5-19-14: 1 long trail ride (time: 1.21.30, 19.01 miles, 14.0 avg.), 1 short trail ride (time: 46.35, 10.84 miles, 14.0 avg.)1 incline on treadmill (time: 60.0, 8-10% incline, 3.11 miles), 1 run on treadmill (time: 60.0, 4.76 miles),

Pretty good week altogether. Got all of the workouts in and did ok on the food stuff. Was on track to do better but the best laid plans….

Workouts:
    Short rides: The average dropped down from 14.4 to 14.0. Not too concerned about it as 1) on the table, I was tired… and 2) it was rainy and windy. Learned something new, little drops of rain hitting your eyeballs while you are riding a bike really sting… Never experienced that one before…

Long rides: Bumped it up to 19 miles finally. Did pretty well overall as the legs didn’t get sore and I didn’t feel like I was going to die afterwards. Definitely tired, just not on the verge of collapse…. Had a little deterrent that almost kept me from adding on the two miles; I had approximately one mile left before the turn around and there in the distance some big thing just sauntered across the trail… Took me a second to realize it was a BEAR!!! Not a small one either!!! (not huge, but definitely not tiny…) I know they live around here but have never seen one in these parts.. Not to mention, this particular portion of the ride is right next to the interstate so I was surprised to see him so close to all the cars… Had to think about how much I really wanted those last couple of miles and waited a couple of minutes but ultimately decided it wasn’t lurking off on the shoulder waiting to have me for it’s next meal.. Tell you what, I wasn’t screwing around and going slow that’s for sure… Obviously made it out unscathed…

MTN bike rides: One of the treadmill events was supposed to be a mountain bike ride but that didn’t work out… I was literally putting on my bike shoes and out of nowhere.. BAM a giant lightning strike not too far away.. following that was just enough rain to send me to the treadmill.. again, blah, blah, blah….

Treadmill: I continued the run split at 1m30s running and 1m30s walking while going 7mph for the runs. Still hard but I lived. I think my ultimate goal as far as this goes is to hit 5 miles but it may take a little more than an hour to do. Not terribly concerned about it at the moment as the current situation is plenty difficult at the moment. Kept the incline workout at 3.1mph and it was a little easier than the first time around. Now that the weather seems to have officially warmed up I really hope to be doing less of the treadmill and more riding. Of course, there’s still that damn wind and those afternoon rains (I hesitate to call them storms because they really are so tiny and pathetic I hesitate to admit they keep me indoors…) The other treadmill event happened on Saturday, after mowing the lawn…. All I can say is as far as I’m concerned I should get a medal for doing the yard for a few hours AND working out on the same day.. was not thrilled…. Good news is that shouldn’t have to happen again for a while…

Food: +5… Same as last week. Bad stuff first: I blew it pretty good on Saturday (poker night) as we were having a pretty good time and the beers were flowing.. Also had a work bbq/party last weekend. Had a couple of beers and the food choices weren’t optimal (all accounted for in the scoring). The win in this is that I at least minimized how much I ate (hot dog, chicken leg, and small handful of tortilla chips with homemade salsa) whereas I would have typically just loaded up and gone with it (it’s a party right?!) Still cost me some points (bad food, regardless of portion size, and beer) but I got the moral victory in eating less because believe me, there was plenty of delicious looking food there that I would have been more than happy to eat… Baby steps…. The other bad part is the family wanted pizza again.. Similar to the party, I found myself in a “situation” where I had to make the most of it.. still obviously sent me into the “-1” category (just can’t rationalize any amount of pizza being anything other than “-1”) for dinner but I made the best of it by going from 4-5 slices of pizza to a salad and 2 pieces of pizza. Again, not breaking my arm patting myself on the back but am at least trying to minimize the impact of the situation… Now for the success: I did very well in that there were other opportunities to really blow it this week (crazy schedule, snacks in lounge, etc.) and I, for the most part, amazed myself with my newly found self-control. For example, typically when there are snacks in the lounge, I am one of the first ones there loading up a plate… Lately, I have managed to either only grab a literal handful of the healthiest option there, or more likely, avoid it altogether… Another example: Last night, at my part-time job (dealing poker in a bar) I didn’t have a chance to eat dinner beforehand. Typically, I would have “folded” (ha! Did it again) in that I would have blamed the situation and ended up eating bar food at some point. Instead, I ate a granola bar beforehand and a handful of cheez-its when I got home (cheez-its aren’t the best option, but better than others.. not to mention I literally ate about 15 of them..) Also worth a mention, I now only drink water while dealing (a few beers is acceptable) and have even begun to grudgingly say “thanks, but I’m not drinking tonight” when someone offers to buy me a beer…. Incomprehensible by previous standards…

Musings: I am learning that when I am left to my own devices I do much better than when other people are involved and it turns into a group decision. Take all of the examples above, pretty much all of the negative scores I received came when I was within social situations.… Guess that identifies an area I need to work on… Again, would have never realized this had I not been typing this out…. The good news is, my life should become much more sane, beginning Thursday, and all of these random opportunities will be minimized….

Have to say “Is it worth it?” has been something of a miracle for me in that I have talked myself out of so many bad food decisions and into so many good decisions lately that I can literally feel my mindset changing every time I do it. Not once have I used it to talk myself into a better food choice and regretted it… not once…. I know my food scores don’t really show it but there is something really good developing here and I really anticipate once my life settles down next week my scores will really take off…

Final note, actually something bike related: Got myself some new wheels and they should be waiting for me when I get home today!!! Kind of a “need” in that my current wheels are a little squirrely in some aspects and they are the stock ones that came with my bike so they aren’t the highest of quality (everyone I talked to said “replace the wheels!”) but more realistically a “want” because who doesn’t get a little case of upgradeitis every now and then???? So, once I get everything switched over I will apparently be riding on the greatest thing since sliced bread (at least that’s what everyone has told me…) I just hope everyone is right (about upgraded wheels being so great) because it was really a stretch to make it happen…

mtbr member
    May 2012
    5-20-14 to 5-26-14: 1 short trail ride (time: 47.50, 10.83 miles, 13.7 avg.), 1 Mtn bike ride ride (time: 1.27.45, 10.87 miles, 7.4 avg.)

Week was as crazy as I had feared… End of school year, graduations, memorial day…. all that craziness is at least in the rear view now…. And as for those piddly storms I mentioned… Must’ve really pissed off the gods because we got a couple of bona fide STORMS this week… One of which had a few inches of hail, another had over 1.5 inches of rain (which is huge for Colorado Springs..)

Workouts:
    Short rides: Did this one with my new tires and wheels.. At the moment, I am pretty disappointed in my big investment. Not only did it not send me blazing down the trail at breakneck speeds, it slowed me down!!! Let’s just say I am really hopeful that the wind was the factor that caused my average to get below 14…. Another issue is I did this ride on Memorial Day… lot’s of walkers I had to maneuver around… and horses I flat out had to stop for because they took up the entire trail….. I will say, it felt like I was flying while I was coming back… At any rate, I want to get a few more rides in before I pass judgment… fingers crossed this was an anomaly...

Long rides: Got cancelled for graduation...

MTN bike rides: One of the most amazing rides I have ever been on!!! Rode with a couple of guys that were way better riders than I am but I am happy to report I was able to hang on the nearly 2000 feet of ascension we did (yes, 2000 feet!!!) Now going downhill was another story… They took off like rockets and it was all I could do to merely try to keep up with them… I will say I now have a better understanding of why people bother with full suspension… It was really fun to have them to ride with: 1) being able to judge where I am ability wise, 2) pick up some tips about how to ride better, 3) not have to worry about where I am going or how to get back.. I was just able to focus on the ride and it was so much fun to do… 4) And of course the most obvious, who doesn’t love blazing down mountain roads and single track????? While going up, I noticed these big berms on a lot of the turns and didn’t really “get” why there were there…. Coming down… I “got” it!!! Had to use the first couple as “oh ****!!!” safety features…. Used the rest for fun, now that I know what they are for… I didn’t even miss having my iPod...

Treadmill: Not this week.. had to watch the kids during allotted time...

Food: +2… Honestly, it’s pretty amazing I didn’t end up in the negatives this week.. I caved in on some opportunities but was able to hold strong on others. I’m not going to get too up in arms about the week. I will say, it’s hard to grade myself when I don’t even know what it is I am eating. At the graduation party there was a lot of food I was unfamiliar with… Seemed relatively safe (scoring wise) but wasn’t sure so I only ate a little and called it a day

Musings: Well summer is finally here so it’s time to “put up or shut up” about my life being so crazy… Stay tuned for that!!! I will say I am going to get in an extra ride today to make up for missing 2 workouts last week.

Had to take my daughter to the doctors office this week as she keeps getting ear infections (ear tubes here we come…) and while there I took advantage of the doctor’s scale… I am down 9 pounds. On the one hand I am excited that I am getting places but on the other hand, it seems I should be a little farther along. When I did weight watchers a few years ago it seems I dropped 2-3 pounds per week (instead of the 1 per week I am seeming to do now) but I hated doing it, the food was terrible. I guess that is what a diet is good for. Reasoning it out: Even though I am not losing weight as fast, I am much happier with my current situation in that 1) I am not going nuts trying to document every little thing I eat (I kinda like my easy system..) 2) I am still eating foods I like/kinda like vs. the crappy tasting food I had to eat then 3) I am slowly developing portion control with the goal of lifelong habits developing, obviously didn’t develop any lifelong habits with weight watchers…..

mtbr member
    May 2012
    5-27-14 to 6-2-14: 1 short trail ride (time: 45.59, 10.79 miles, 14.1 avg.), 1 long trail ride (time: 1.34.49, 21.03 miles, 13.3 avg.), 2 Mtn bike ride ride (time: 52.26, 6.19 miles, 8.1 avg; 2.41.41, 15.1 miles, 5.5 avg.)

huge week riding!!! got some big long rides in and was also able to improve on the food part as I had hoped. i don’t know why people do it but I was in a beautiful place where I was actually compelled to follow the group and take a picture of my bike against the beautiful scenery. It was then I learned my bike is pretty dorky looking as I have never really looked at it from a “does my bike look cool?” perspective… For the first time I noticed my handlebars (the kind with the riser) and grips (the kind with the flange on the end to take some pressure off your palms) really nerd up my bike… I will say this, my goal is not to show off and be cool, I want to be as comfortable riding as I possibly can be so it is what it is…. In other news, my farmer tan is off to an AMAZING start!!!!!

Workouts:
    Short rides: I am so tired of the wind, alas, I am even more tired of complaining about it so this is the last time… I HATE WIND!!!!! Every ride I did this week, where I had some expectation of a target rate, was totally impacted by the wind…. At any rate, I rebounded a little on my average speed and got back above 14 mph average… There is some debate now about how far I am actually riding as I recalibrated my odometer for my new wheels and it seems my distance is a little shorter than previously indicated. Regardless, I am only measuring against myself so it really isn’t that big of deal…… Just a little annoying that it doesn’t add up…..

Long rides: Managed to get up to 21 miles which is on track for what I was wanting to do… Felt fairly strong throughout the ride but kind of ran out of gas the last mile or two… wind…. Only two more rides until I hit my target of 25 miles which I will consider a success! I’ve decided that my target/ceiling is 30 miles so once I hit that I will stay there for awhile… I don’t want to limit myself but I think time wise (over two hours) that should be plenty sufficient.

MTN bike rides: First ride was at the local nature park by my house. Felt pretty good throughout the ride and am trying to increase my skill level by not taking the path of least resistance all of the time. Had fun taking on more challenging stuff but did not have fun crashing two times. I guess it’s kind of along the lines of: “if ya ain’t crashin, ya ain’t trying!” (I by no mean live by that motto but it seems to fit….) Part that got to me was I was climbing and decided to “attack” a boulder and had the front wheel over it then I don’t know what happened but I lost the back wheel and spun out…. didn’t get the feet out of the clips in time either…. annnnd of course I fall downslope…. onto rock…. nothing hurt but the ego a little bit… I will say that it kinda got in my head as far as getting all spunky for the rest of the ride… Second ride was with the same guy that took me on last weeks amazing ride. It was a complete loop around a local reservoir. Really technical riding and there were numerous parts too dangerous (for me anyways) to ride/impossible to ride. Not to mention, I learned that tight/technical single track on a mountainside is not a favorite past time of mine as I have never been really fond of heights and there were many legs of the tour where failure was simply not an option… I will say it was a beautiful ride with lots of scenery you’re not gonna see unless you really get out there and do it (either hardcore hiking, biking, or via boat)

Treadmill: Not this week.. too busy riding my bike!!!!

Food: +9… Improved as I had hoped and improved my personal best by 3 points. This is with my slacking off some as I knew I was having an awesome week. Case in point: After that long marathon ride (around the reservoir) I decided I earned a double cheeseburger and fries from Wendy’s…. I have to say, it wasn’t "worth it” (per my mantra of is "it worth it?”……) First off, I was STUFFED halfway through eating the thing. Secondly, the ends didn’t really justify the means as after eating it, it was more like “man, that was a lot of calories and it wasn’t really any tastier than anything else I’ve been eating lately” I guess that’s a good sign that I am truly turning the corner of eating better as I even told my wife I don’t think I will be eating anymore double cheeseburgers… Also lost 3 more points when the wife said “do you wanna go play poker tonight?” so really could have been even higher… As for the rest of the story. I really find that I am turning down more and more opportunities to eat crappy (formerly delicious!) food and just putting something together at home because I have more time. I’ve eaten a lot of peanut butter and jelly or ham (no cheese) sandwiches for lunch lately instead of eating fast food, even when I’ve had all the justification in the world to make an excuse to do so… Now if I could just do something about those poker nights….

Musings: Started summer off with a bang and I really hope to continue to improve as I did this week. I am TRYING to get myself up and moving and get the bike ride done earlier in the day (complete before lunch) but I am NOT a morning person and doing so is proving to be a challenge.. Let’s jus say, lunch can happen any time in the afternoon… Gonna continue to work on that...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    6-3-14 to 6-9-14: 1 short trail ride (time: 44.47, 10.78 miles, 14.5 avg.), 0 long trail ride (time: 0.0, 0.0 miles, 0.0avg.), 1 Mtn bike ride ride (time: 51.54, 6.01 miles, 7.0 avg.) 1 incline on treadmill (time: 60.0, 8-10% incline, 3.11 miles), 1 run on treadmill (time: 60.0, 4.35 miles),

Got all of the workouts in this week but the food score dropped a little. Kinda disappointed that the weather kept me from a Saturday adventure this week as those rides are really fun...

Workouts:
    Short rides: Got back up to that 14.5 average for the ride so obviously felt pretty strong and enjoyed the ride. Nothing really newsworthy on this front...

Long rides: N/A

MTN bike rides: Had a good ride and felt really strong throughout which I was a little surprised about! Came up to the spot where I crashed last week and was going to try again until I stopped and really tried to analyze what made me crash.. Turns out, while on an incline (with little momentum), I thought it was a good idea to go up an 18 inch rock (give or take, it was well over my hub on my wheel…).. no wonder that was a fail… It was weird, the adrenaline in me wanted to try again but common sense kept me keep away from it. As previously mentioned, I am seeking out more difficult lines on the rides and it is actually making it more fun and hopefully improving my skill level a little. Within the same park, i am getting better at climbing and am nowhere near as winded as I used to be when climbing.

Treadmill: It was too “that weather that shall no longer be mentioned” (windy) one day so that cancelled a ride and resulted in doing treadmill incline. Got through it and felt pretty good afterwards. Another day, I was short on time to go riding so I ended up running. I learned I really didn’t like the 7mph average stuff + it had been awhile since I did the run so I did it and stuck at 6mph. It was a pretty good workout and I dare say I had fallen out of shape a little bit… Nothing too difficult but it definitely was a workout. Funny thing, even though I am doing a lot of things that are leg based, the absence of an activity (running) for awhile led to a decrease in performance (overall ease, not the performance itself…)

Food: +6… As far as food, in and of itself, goes, I did really well this week… Really sticking to my guns as far as making better food choices and eating smaller portions. The problem is the poker nights…. Since I am on summer vacation I don’t have the “I have to work tomorrow” mentality and instead it has morphed into “heyyyy, don’t have to work tomorrow!!!!” so the beer takeaways are really dragging down the scores, and consequently, the weight loss as well. In all honesty, I was a little worried this was going to be the case and in theory I was up to the challenge of sticking with the routine I have been up to. In practice, some old habits are proving harder to break than others… In sticking with my mindset, I know it is up to me to rise to this challenge but so far I have not done so. Very frustrating because I thought that I was going to be able to do it without it becoming an issue but it’s kind of like starting all over again in that I have to “recommit” to what I am wanting to accomplish but at the same time, this is my release time and has always been something I have really, really enjoyed (hanging out with friends, having some beers, playing cards, cracking jokes all night long…) Kind of a pain when your old interests and new interests don’t get along with each other….

Musings: Really hit on what has been on my mind lately within the “food” section. I will say I ran into an acquaintance this week and he said he noticed a difference right away. Personally, aside from my clothes fitting better, I really don’t see a huge difference in my physical stature but it was a boost that it was the first thing he mentioned.

mtbr member
    Keep up the good work. Vacations are tough and there needs to be a little release. For me the concern is being able to get back on track. This is a journey and the goal is staying focused on the destination knowing that there will be a few detours along the way. When you get/stay on track it is really the best reinforcement.

Congrats on your riding too.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by la10slgr View Post
    Musings: Really hit on what has been on my mind lately within the “food” section. I will say I ran into an acquaintance this week and he said he noticed a difference right away. Personally, aside from my clothes fitting better, I really don’t see a huge difference in my physical stature but it was a boost that it was the first thing he mentioned.
    This is a win. If clothes are fitting better and someone noticed that's progress. Keep at it!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    Keep up the good work. Vacations are tough and there needs to be a little release. For me the concern is being able to get back on track. This is a journey and the goal is staying focused on the destination knowing that there will be a few detours along the way. When you get/stay on track it is really the best reinforcement.

Congrats on your riding too.

John
    Thanks John,

You are right in that it is the big picture that is the focus. Within that, just figuring out how much "release" is worth it without hampering the long-term goals (finding the balance...) because as originally intended, I am looking at this as a life-long commitment and want to be successful and not commit myself to something I don't want to do...
    Also, thanks for the encouragement!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    This is a win. If clothes are fitting better and someone noticed that's progress. Keep at it!
    Thanks! I will get there!!!

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast