Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Well now you have written it down so your committed to success. Good luck and get riding. Don't forget to have fun while riding as well. That's part of what makes mountain biking so great.

Regarding the diet canned drinks. Have you thought about cutting those out? I know they are diet, but those things are horrible for the body. Just take a look at the ingredients.

As for the beer. I love it too. Big hoppy beers are my favorite which adds up to a ton of calories. For me I have to keep that in moderation. Like just on the weekends or a post ride beer.
    thanks for chiming in!!!!! i think the public accountability part is gonna be a big push in this whole thing.....
    re: diet coke... i know it and you know i know it (<-- guilty declaration)!!!!! it's just soooooo damn good.... i have NEVER met a person that has cut out the soda (of any type) and regretted it.. to the contrary, they have said it was the best decision they ever made....... oddly one of my biggest vices is drinking bereaves, any beverage.... I have to LIMIT myself to 2 gallons of skim milk per week, if i don't watch myself, I can easily drink 4 gallons..... Back to the topic, it is on the "to-do" list but i haven't gotten to that point of accepting that into my life yet.....

as for the beer, being in colorado.... fat tire ahoy!!!!! kinda the same boat as the diet soda... all part of the long=term plan, but not this portion of the short-term... alas, in due time......

mtbr member
    May 2012
    deleted
    Last edited by la10slgr; 03-11-2014 at 09:08 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    @trailbrain, forgot to mention.... now that I think about it I have taken step 1 in the whole soda thing..... I have started taking a gatorade bottle full of water with me to work every morning, I sip on that all day and it does keep me from wanting a soda......

mtbr member

Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's

Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Nice work! You even look happier. Care to share what you did to shave off the 30lbs?
    dukan diet
    PIVOT

mtbr member
    May 2012
    delete
    Last edited by la10slgr; 08-14-2014 at 02:10 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    delete
    Last edited by la10slgr; 08-14-2014 at 02:14 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    delete
    Last edited by la10slgr; 08-14-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Is not amused
    Don't really know where to start with this. A year ago I set out on a journey. Not only to get back in shape but get my life back. Today *day365* I can firmly say that has been completed. The hardships and giving up or going another route when things didn't work took its toll.

Though I never gave up. Lost 165.8 pounds, obtained four jobs at one point; now to having two great jobs which gives me time to do what I love, riding and spending time with loved ones. It's not much but it's the little things in life that sometimes mean the most. I say this, pursue your goals, don't feed the trolls and haters. Keep at it and never stray from the path.

The real story of day in day out can be found here on another forum. MODS don't delete: This could help others here and give them hope. HK ? View topic - Operation dumbo drop *weight loss thread*

Hopefully this doesn't come across as homophobic but here's the results of giving it your all for a whole year. Last year this day I weighed 320 pounds. Right now 154.2 pounds.

Best of luck everyone. Never give up.

If you have any questions PM me. Thanks - Hutch
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Don't really know where to start with this. A year ago I set out on a journey. Not only to get back in shape but get my life back. Today *day365* I can firmly say that has been completed. The hardships and giving up or going another route when things didn't work took its toll.

Though I never gave up. Lost 165.8 pounds, obtained four jobs at one point; now to having two great jobs which gives me time to do what I love, riding and spending time with loved ones. It's not much but it's the little things in life that sometimes mean the most. I say this, pursue your goals, don't feed the trolls and haters. Keep at it and never stray from the path.

The real story of day in day out can be found here on another forum. MODS don't delete: This could help others here and give them hope. HK ? View topic - Operation dumbo drop *weight loss thread*

Hopefully this doesn't come across as homophobic but here's the results of giving it your all for a whole year. Last year this day I weighed 320 pounds. Right now 154.2 pounds.

Best of luck everyone. Never give up.

If you have any questions PM me. Thanks - Hutch
    Great job, hutch. Now, just keep on pedaling! Those are some impressive numbers!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

bust a move
    Congrats Hutch!!! Very Inspirational!
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

banned
    Jan 2013
    Grats Hutch! Pretty damn cool to see success like that.

I bet you are a BEAST on your bike now! My riding friends are all pissed off at me after losing a *mere* 35 lbs. But 165!!?? Sheesh what are ye climbing 11% grades in, big ring?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Wow!!! Well done!

Is not amused
    Thank you for all the kind words. Yes, its a huge difference riding now. Also was really expensive buying new clothes/cycling garments every month.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    I don't have before and after pictures. Like most, I have struggled with weight and have gone on diets and gained it back until I figured I would just accept it. A year ago I had no intention of losing a pound... ever. I would just adapt to my weight.

I'm 5'8" and last July I weighed 240lbs. Even at that weight I could get on my road bike and ride on the pavement without much distress. A neighbor asked me if I knew anyone that wanted an old mountain bike and I said sure... me. My son has wanted me to get out in the dirt. It was a '93 GT with an old Mag21 fork and V-brakes with the wrong levers so it didn't stop very well.

But I figured, I've ridden road bikes forever how tough could this be. Well I thought I was going to die and realized that I had to lose weight to even be able to ride uphill for more than a mile at a time.

Didn't go on a diet. Been there done that didn't work. I decided that for the first time in my life I was going to minimize the importance of food in my life. I started out not snacking after dinner (No chips, Skinny Cows, etc.). Then I started to eat a little better and less. So this change can't be a once I get down I'll start eating again. Nor is it a if I can only ride 50 miles a day diet. I used to surf for hours and lose weight and the problem happens when you stop or slow down.

But I did one thing early on when I got hungry... I'd go on ebay and look at bike parts. While not the cheapest diet, it does get you focused on something other than food. So I picked up some different brakes, wheels, shifters for the GT and then I decided I was going to build a vintage steel bike from scratch. All the while I am riding more, riding better, and losing weight.

Right now I am 183 lbs and will probably lose another 5 or 10 or wherever this new lifestyle takes me. I did build up a 1995 Trek 970 and I am in the process of building up a 1992 Serotta T-Max. I must say that it has been the easiest weight loss ever because I am not looking at it as a diet. I still go to In-n-Out when I want but I don't just eat to eat. On the weekends I will have 2 meals with an early dinner. I feel really blessed because somehow I have been able to minimize the desire for food.

John

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    I don't have before and after pictures. Like most, I have struggled with weight and have gone on diets and gained it back until I figured I would just accept it. A year ago I had no intention of losing a pound... ever. I would just adapt to my weight.

I'm 5'8" and last July I weighed 240lbs. Even at that weight I could get on my road bike and ride on the pavement without much distress. A neighbor asked me if I knew anyone that wanted an old mountain bike and I said sure... me. My son has wanted me to get out in the dirt. It was a '93 GT with an old Mag21 fork and V-brakes with the wrong levers so it didn't stop very well.

But I figured, I've ridden road bikes forever how tough could this be. Well I thought I was going to die and realized that I had to lose weight to even be able to ride uphill for more than a mile at a time.

Didn't go on a diet. Been there done that didn't work. I decided that for the first time in my life I was going to minimize the importance of food in my life. I started out not snacking after dinner (No chips, Skinny Cows, etc.). Then I started to eat a little better and less. So this change can't be a once I get down I'll start eating again. Nor is it a if I can only ride 50 miles a day diet. I used to surf for hours and lose weight and the problem happens when you stop or slow down.

This is exactly how I am looking at it and am so glad you chimed in! It's nice to see that it works doing it this way...

But I did one thing early on when I got hungry... I'd go on ebay and look at bike parts. While not the cheapest diet, it does get you focused on something other than food. So I picked up some different brakes, wheels, shifters for the GT and then I decided I was going to build a vintage steel bike from scratch. All the while I am riding more, riding better, and losing weight.

I have been doing this as well, problem for me is that I am pretty happy with my bike with the exception of my wheelset and even then it almost seems to be a want vs. need thing and my wife needs a little more justification for $500-$700 than simply "I want new wheels"... I still comb CL and MTBR classifieds pretty much everyday... If anything, it is getting me more familiar with what is out there and you are ABSOLUTELY right, the more you immerse yourself into it, the more you want to do it/the more it becomes a part of you..

Right now I am 183 lbs and will probably lose another 5 or 10 or wherever this new lifestyle takes me. I did build up a 1995 Trek 970 and I am in the process of building up a 1992 Serotta T-Max. I must say that it has been the easiest weight loss ever because I am not looking at it as a diet. I still go to In-n-Out when I want but I don't just eat to eat. On the weekends I will have 2 meals with an early dinner. I feel really blessed because somehow I have been able to minimize the desire for food.

John
    You hit on some good points that really make sense to me. It seems that you and I are similiar in having realized it takes a lifetime commitment vs. just doing it for awhile and then quitting. (Maybe realized isn't the right word as I'm pretty sure everyone knows it takes that kind of commitment to really make this change... Maybe accepted that it takes a lifetime commitment???) However, you are obviously way further along than me... I was also happy to see where you said you still go and eat what you want, just be smart about it.... I dropped about 20 pounds a few years ago but hated what it took (diet alone) because the food options were just terrible.... Compared to previous standards, I am much more of the mindset to eat what I want in moderation and realize that there is a price to pay for whatever bad stuff I eat. For example: In situations where I would normally get a double burger with cheese, I am now ordering grilled chicken sandwiches on most occasions, not all occasions, but most (not that I eat hamburgers every day... you get the idea...) As for the times I do still get a burger, I'm trying to develop exactly what you said (or at least my interpretation of what you said...), once in a while is okay, just not on a reguar basis..

At any rate, thanks so much for chiming in John, it is awesome to see that for the most part, my plan seems similar to yours and since it is working for you.......

mtbr member
    May 2012
    delete
    Last edited by la10slgr; 08-14-2014 at 02:11 PM.

mtbr member
    la10slgr,

Thank you for your kind words. I have the propensity to be able to eat the same stuff over and over without getting tired of it. This can be a good thing or bad. If someone made me eat donuts every day I would be able to. Like wise I tend to eat the same weekday lunch over and over again... carrot sticks, turkey bologna, and an apple. But one thing that I have consciously done is cut out the sweets.

It is really a mindset that sees little to no value in food. The truth is, after the first couple of bites of whatever favorite bad food, the taste starts to diminish. Kind of a ...why bother with it, I'll only regret it tomorrow attitude; I'll get onto doing something else.

As for ebay, I am more of a low dollar buyer. Also since my bikes, both road and mountain, are old, I also look for some specific parts that are no longer available, such as rapid rise derailleurs. Or maybe some little gem that I stumble upon. The other half of the equation is the time spent working on my bikes. Time spent turning wrenches is time not spent eating or just sitting around. And it is not just bikes, it can be any number of activities that keep me busy.

Like I said, I don't know where this will end up, but my mindset is that I'm not going to eat a lot of bad foods, not just for a few months to get to a goal, but ever.

John

Ridin' Furry
    circa 2003 around the time i was diagnosed with cancer. Peaked around 280 lbs at 6'1
    Post your BEFORE &amp; AFTER success story photo's-a02529d6bde211e3877b123e278baa12_7.jpg

Fast forward to today. Cancer free and going strong. 189 lbs 6'4

Post your BEFORE &amp; AFTER success story photo's-82fb8d22bde311e399240002c955b9b4_7.jpg

Ridin' Furry

More inspiration.

More GREAT motivation here with a friends short video on his weight loss.

mtbr member
    Huskeywolf,

Being down nearly 100 lbs and cancer free. It doesn't get much better than that.

Great story.

John

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Husky,

looks like you got it pretty well figured out!!! What are some specifics of what you did?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    delete
    Last edited by la10slgr; 08-14-2014 at 02:16 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    [QUOTE=Huskywolf;11116512]More GREAT motivation here with a friends short video on his weight loss.

yet another success story that has stated you don't have to totally deprive yourself of things you like in order to drop the pounds...Another good point he made is that riding has become a way of life for him. Yet another person stating this is an important element of success..

Overall, my main take away from this: you can still have ____ but now you've earned it... I think I am going to try this as a mantra: "Did I earn this?"

I already recognize the pitfall of it becoming a reward (e.g., "I worked out today so now I can have whatever I want..") and that's not how I see it Conversely, I see it more of a preventative tool (e.g., I'm not working out today so I need to really make smart food choices..") At this point, I'm resoning this out as I type but I think the general idea is there, maybe implement this over the next week and see how it works out...

Regardless, thanks for the post Huskywolf!!! Definitely got me thinking and as you can see from my earlier post today, the food part of the equation is definitely on my mind...

Ridin' Furry
    Well... i never put much thought into it actually. Switch just went off and i bought a cheap Mongoose from wal-mart. Thought to myself " Hey that has full suspension". Broke that bike in a week so i did some research and got a nice hardtail. Rode the wheels off and wore out the cogs in about 4 months... I really started racking up miles and losing weight when i got a road bicycle.

As for food i pretty much cut out whole milk and junk food snacks that are high in fat and sugar.( And No BACON lol)

I pretty much sum it up like this

- Quit Video gaming 10 hours a day

- Stopped substituting water with soda and other sugary drinks. Although i still drink a coke for long rides as a boost.

- No more whole milk. Almond milk, Coconut milk and soy milk now.

- 30 mile work commute 4 days a week on top of my weekend epic rides. This is what really made me shed weight. Never underestimate the commute!

-Always kept it fun! Never looked at a ride as i have to do it to lose weight. It is always about plain and simple fun.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    thanks for the reply huskywolf... interesting you threw milk in there because I looooove me some milk, had to go to skim years ago but even that has about 90 calories per glass.... I reeeeally have to watch myself with that...

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast