Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Awesome stories folks. Great motivation.
    I am restoring/updating my 1996 GF Paragon. Should be done soon and training starts.
    I'm 6'1" 267. My goal is to get down to at least 210 or lower by December 2013.
    When training starts I'll have the wifey take a before pic (wide lens of course haha) and after.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I guess I'm a "small" clyde. I'm 5'9" @ 215lbs down from 228lbs a few months ago; I decided to lose weight for racing. I've raced before, but never got really serious about shedding the weight to be more competitive.

I'd like to peak out at 200lbs so I can be as light as I can for the Clydesdale class. 200lbs is "six pack abs" showing time, so at 38, I wouldn't mind that extra boost of confidence.

I think I carry most of my weight in my legs (and bubble butt). Laying off the weights was also part of my race training regimen - I tend to pack on weight when I lift. I was a body builder in my 20's, so I would get up to 230lbs in the off-season, to diet down to 185lbs @ 3% body fat. Not fun!

Name:  72801_4833179960499_3987606_n.jpg
Views: 1681
Size:  66.3 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks everyone for all of these posts. I can't wait until I start this adventure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    When I was in my early 20s 25 years ago I was 6'3" (still about that height) and race weight was about 175, racing Expert at that time. 10 years later with 2 very young kids I was spending very little time on the bike, and weighed 225, -in poor fitness. About 3 years ago I started eating slightly better (cutting down on sodapop, fries and the pizza lunch buffet mostly) and dropped about 15-25 pounds. Then 1.5 years ago I started riding twice a week for an hour each time, and dropped another 15 pounds in a year. Now I'm down to 175 again riding 4-5 times per week, and got a 'podium'/3rd in a Cat 2 mtb race a few weeks ago. It feels very-very good to be fit again. My goal is to be a good 40-50 masters Expert in a year, and to get moved up in points in cx in the fall.

mtbr member
    2010 – 317 lbs. Felt like a slug. Had to catch my breath after walking up a flight of stairs.
    Name:  8549247584_1dab43f786.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  62.1 KB

Today – 223 lbs. Happiest I’ve ever been.
    Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-8547353372_9c682718a5_c.jpg

I've spent the past 3 years mountain biking and running (every single day the weather allows) losing and keeping off 94 lbs. I've gone from xxxl to xl shirts and from a 46 to a 38 waist. I'm 3 weeks away from my 100 lb weight loss milestone and intend to reach 190 lbs for a total weight loss of 127 lbs. My entire life has been transformed.

bust a move
    Quote Originally Posted by jtorlando25 View Post
    2010 – 317 lbs. Felt like a slug. Had to catch my breath after walking up a flight of stairs.
    Name:  8549247584_1dab43f786.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  62.1 KB

Today – 223 lbs. Happiest I’ve ever been.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8547353372_9c682718a5_c.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	459.7 KB 
ID:	782481

I've spent the past 3 years mountain biking and running (every single day the weather allows) losing and keeping off 94 lbs. I've gone from xxxl to xl shirts and from a 46 to a 38 waist. I'm 3 weeks away from my 100 lb weight loss milestone and intend to reach 190 lbs for a total weight loss of 127 lbs. My entire life has been transformed.
    Great stuff jtorlando25

Your dedication is obviously paying off big time, keep up the good work!
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Here's "before". Never done cardio in my life so I bought a bike to hopefully find a fun way to do it that I'll stick to. I'll post "after" if I trim down

6'6" and 250-255lbs

Super Clyde
    I'm just now starting my journey, I started at 368 lbs in March. For the past month I've been watching what I eat, drinking a ton of water and running about 6.5 miles a week. My knees have had enough of that so I'm going to transition to riding my bike until I lose a lot of weight. I rode one day last week, and really enjoyed it. It brought back fond memories of the days when i rode a lot. I was 250 in high school and rode a rigid Fuji Cro-Mo. I got down to 225 in 2001 and rode my current bike a HT Jamis with a RS Tora Fork, in the Cascades of Washington State. Right now I don't have any ride oriented goals per say, my goal for the summer is to run in 3 Spartan Races( look it up if you don't know what they are, it's pretty cool). My goal is to lose 30 lbs by the Middle of July, and 60 lbs by the end of summer. If I can get down to 300, I'm going to reward myself with a road bike. Here's a picture of me at 368 with my normal sized wife. As if today I'm at 355.

mtbr member
    These are basically my first Hesitation Point self shots from Brown County for each of the last few years. It kinda shows my weight loss.

These pictures probably range about the last 75lbs in weight loss. I am around 225 today, started at 363.

mtbr member
    In the past 3 years, I went through 3 frames, more parts than I care to tally, and have more scars and stories than I can keep track of and best of all, as of this evening, I've lost 100 lbs.

2009: 317 lbs. Today: 217 lbs

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-fat.jpg

In order:

350, 320, 299, 275, 250, 225.

Running, biking and good diet. The trifecta.

I need to get some more bike pics...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Some of you guys are just amazing on your weight loss.. Right on!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Awesome set of pics!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Before / after pics from last time I went through the grind 10 years ago:

Before 390ish:

1 year later 235ish:

Mainly WeightWatchers (online, no group stuff), and very little exercise.

This time taking it slower, eating more "normal" vs diet, more exercise. From 366 down to 319, I'll post some new pics when I progress a little further.

Ridin' Furry
    Quote Originally Posted by SAP_Pete View Post
    Before / after pics from last time I went through the grind 10 years ago:

Before 390ish:

1 year later 235ish:

Mainly WeightWatchers (online, no group stuff), and very little exercise.

This time taking it slower, eating more "normal" vs diet, more exercise. From 366 down to 319, I'll post some new pics when I progress a little further.
    Awesomeness, keep it up man.

mtbr member
    What happened that caused you to gain it all back? I'm eating pretty normal, or I should say in a sustainable way (Paleo) but I still fear I'll hit my goal and eventually gain it back. I'm at 60+ pounds lost since Christmas and I can't imagine going back to 300+ pounds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I documented my journey from 325 to 220 here:
    Primal Fatso | A Lifelong Fatso's adventure into the Primal Blueprint

325ish

220ish

I'm now biking, but my MTB is cooked so I'm rebuilding a road bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's

Me at 215. I had quit weightlifting and lost all of my muscle. Probably around 2006.

Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-uploadfromtaptalk1377486318944.jpg

325lbs around 08. Held that until 2011 o decided I needed to do something about it. Being in my 30s I knew it was only going to get harder.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1377486456234.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  24.5 KB

Started weightlifting again, martial arts, riding bikes. Started doing a lot of stuff and just watching what I ate in general. No diets, just eating more food in its natural state. I sit around 265 now and maybe will try and drop another 20. I am trying to keep as much size as possible though and not be fat. Not interested in killing myself to be muscular, I just want to be strong, flexible, powerful and have good endurance, that's not too much to ask is it?

Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-uploadfromtaptalk1377486786298.jpg

Lord Thunderbottom
    it's a slow roll for me but it's paying off, I'm really into my new lifestyle now, there's about 60# difference in the photo

Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-2013.jpg
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's

Rawr.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-uploadfromtaptalk1381464124353.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013 - 230lbs

Nov 2013 - 200lbs
    PIVOT

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by engrmariano View Post
    Aug 2013 - 230lbs

Nov 2013 - 200lbs
    Nice work! You even look happier. Care to share what you did to shave off the 30lbs?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    lets revive this thread!!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012

And so it begins...

delete
    Last edited by la10slgr; 08-14-2014 at 01:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by la10slgr View Post
    Well, having read through the entire “before and after” thread and having seen the amazing stories everyone had, I guess it’s my turn to throw my hat in the ring on this but I am going to use a bit of a different approach to this (similar to what stormcrowe did back in 2005, but not quite at his level). As I am just getting started, my intent is to document things from the beginning and update as I go along and take whatever helpful tidbits come my was as I go…. I have noticed this thread has kind of died lately so maybe I can help get it restarted…..

About me: I am 40 years old, 5’10” and weigh in at 253 pounds. I was a decent athlete in high school (not great, but not too bad either) and was always stocky. I humbly state that I was fairly muscular/strong (not any kind of massive person, more of a body type kind of thing) which always led to me weighing about 15-20 pounds more than people would think…. (I state this because it is ludicrous for me to think about weighing 170 again as that is what I weighed at my absolute peak of physical fitness in high school. For me, 200 is a very appropriate target and then I will see where to go from there…) Throughout my 20’s and 30’s, I would occasionally do some sort of physical activity but overall I would rate myself as pretty sedentary… About 10 years ago, I started getting in to playing poker (both online and live) as a hobby (I currently either deal or play poker 3 nights per week)…. Well, that’s not the best thing for someone in my situation as 1) it’s even more sitting around and 2) you gotta have some beers while playing, right????? I have a rather sedentary job (do walk around some but pretty stationary overall.) I think you get the gist of my overall lifestyle…..

Two years ago, I bought a bike with the intent of really getting into riding to get my weight down and to become healthier. Obviously that hasn’t gone according to plan…. Like so many, I have the whole gamut of excuses (married, 2 young daughters, busy with work, too tired, too cold out, etc, etc…) not to mention I am a MASTER procrastinator….. so over the course of these last two years, there have been attempts to really get this thing going but have ultimately failed. Period.

A few months ago, I noticed my XL t-shirts were getting even more snug (to the point I was digging through my shirts to find all of the XXL and not wearing the XL) and my size 40 pants were turning into size 42….. Getting frustrated, the thoughts of “I really gotta get committed to this” started creeping into my head. These thoughts started to become more and more pervasive until I finally had that “aha moment”. I was watching my 2 daughters (age 1 and 4) play and it hit me that if I don’t get off my ass, there is a real possibility their father won’t be around for them someday sooner rather than later.

At that point, it was cold outside (there’s using cold as an excuse than there’s the reality that it’s too damn cold outside!!! Colorado weather is funny like that.. One winter day can be sunny and 55 degrees and literally the next day can be snowy/overcast with a low of 5 degrees….) So I started using the treadmill with the intent of getting some legs under myself so when bike season returned I would be ready!!! At this point, the “I know I gotta do this” motivation was there but the actual practice of religiously doing this wasn’t quite in place… I would say I managed an hour on the treadmill 2-3 times per week. I alternated between the walk/run workouts and the incline workouts… Funny thing is, I found that even doing that little bit made a difference in my conditioning and I was able to increase the workload every week…. To further increase my motivation, I decided to get some clipless pedals and shoes (more on this later)….

About three weeks ago, I was finally able to get on my bike!!!! I have an 11 mile ride close to home that I like to ride (part of a much longer trail, like 100+ mile trail, that goes down to New Mexico and I think up to Wyoming) that has a good mix of flat and hills… The first time I rode really took a lot of effort but the crowning glory was that I made it out to do the ride and it was only 55 degrees outside (part of the aforementioned “too cold” category) I have already worked in two other days doing the ride and find myself improving with each ride. As an even bigger perk, it is something like 62 outside today so guess where I am going????

My current mindset: I find that I am really motivated to get out and ride my bike. As I was reading through this thread today I found myself literally wanting to just get out of my chair and go!!!!! I am conscientiously making choices that allow me to workout (e.g., even though I was tired yesterday, I skipped a nap and squeezed in 45 minutes of treadmill before going to dinner)

However, knowing myself as I do, (I am not one of those jump in with both feet types) the eating better thing that a lot of people mentioned as being REALLY helpful isn’t totally on the table as of yet. I love my diet cherry pepsi/dr. pepper and neither my wife nor myself really enjoy cooking so you can only imagine how crappy my diet is as we eat out….. A LOT!!!! Not to mention that poker/beer thing I mentioned…. I have begun using portion control as a first step in this arena. Examples; ordering the regular size combo instead of the large, ordering 3 tacos instead of 4, not drinking on a given poker night, etc. For me, this is a necessary STEP that will help me get to eating better overall as it is not totally taking the things I love to eat/drink out of the picture but the simple act of decreasing my intake of such things has not only maintained my motivation but also improved it as I have ordered two salads in situations in which I have normally ordered cheeseburgers within the past two weeks. Admittedly with ranch………..

So there it is, in a not so small nutshell. As I mentioned above, I hope this turns out to be the motivator/accountability mechanism I envision it to be. Like I said in the beginning, I will be posting updates as I go along so feel free to chime in with anything that relates!!!
    Well now you have written it down so your committed to success. Good luck and get riding. Don't forget to have fun while riding as well. That's part of what makes mountain biking so great.

Regarding the diet canned drinks. Have you thought about cutting those out? I know they are diet, but those things are horrible for the body. Just take a look at the ingredients.

As for the beer. I love it too. Big hoppy beers are my favorite which adds up to a ton of calories. For me I have to keep that in moderation. Like just on the weekends or a post ride beer.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast