Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Nice work Motoman! Keep on turning those cranks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Inspired.
    I started riding my bike to work to loose weight and was embarrassed being the big guy pulling over to catch his breath on the slow (relatively easy) climb home. Not only have I shed a bunch of weight in the last 4 months but I feel much better and even crave things like (gasp) vegetables! Possibly just as important, after a stress filled shi*ty day at work, the stress just lifts away and doesn't seem important when there is longer detour up a bigger climb to a short trail through a city park I can hit on the way home. The wife tells me I'm much better to be around on weekdays now. I'm really inspired by all your stories.

bust a move
    There is a whole lot of awesome in this thread.

Congrats to all & keep it up...very inspiring

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    1st pic 1 and 14 months ago at 445lbs, last pic 227.5, (lost 217.5lbs) done by eating better and of course riding my mtb and fixed gear bikes. On just my mtb since last August, i have logged 1830miles

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    FANTASTIC WORK! ! ! ! Sir Clay.

Ridin' Furry
    Quote Originally Posted by clay7160 View Post
    1st pic 1 and 14 months ago at 445lbs, last pic 227.5, (lost 217.5lbs) done by eating better and of course riding my mtb and fixed gear bikes. On just my mtb since last august, i have logged 1830miles
    awesome!

DaFaJa
    I started @ 300 and am now 210, Size 44 to 32, Changed what I eat and how much, Kayak & Biking took about 2 years..
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Dropped from 270 to 210 in the past couple years. Eating better and riding more. Getting under 200 is my goal, although that's gonna be tough, there's not much left on me! haha Most guys my height (6'3") don't get below 200, especially with my build.

+rep for ya'll, too

Ridin' Furry
    Quote Originally Posted by Corbinworks
    I started @ 300 and am now 210, Size 44 to 32, Changed what I eat and how much, Kayak & Biking took about 2 years..

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Dropped from 270 to 210 in the past couple years. Eating better and riding more. Getting under 200 is my goal, although that's gonna be tough, there's not much left on me! haha Most guys my height (6'3") don't get below 200, especially with my build.

+rep for ya'll, too
    If you ride a SS like your usernames suggests that makes it all the more impressive.

I am in the same boat as you, grew a half inch this year to 6'3, 1/2...Am right at 201 at the moment.

Keep it up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by clay7160 View Post
    1st pic 1 and 14 months ago at 445lbs, last pic 227.5, (lost 217.5lbs) done by eating better and of course riding my mtb and fixed gear bikes. On just my mtb since last August, i have logged 1830miles

Outstanding!!!!

You sir, are an inspiration to everyone

Hell, I've already done my daily bike ride but I'm going o go ride some more!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskywolf View Post
    If you ride a SS like your usernames suggests that makes it all the more impressive....Keep it up.
    All SS for me, at least as of right now Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    all of this is a huge inspiration to me, I hope to be a success also!

mtbr member
    A work in progress

Down from 370 to 270ish in this pic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for all the kind words...I just weighed for my 17month and 2 week anniversary (normally weigh just once a month), i was 221.5, which is 1lb under being half my original starting weight; then went shopping for more clothes, i went from 62 inch waist and 5x shirts, to 38inch waist and xl shirts......it can be done, just keep plugging away !!
    Last edited by clay7160; 09-30-2012 at 11:17 PM.

No Stranger to danger....
    There is some outstanding efforts from you guys in this thread, its not often i drop into this sub forum but im so glad i did, you guys are an inspiration to anybody that has ANYTHING they want to change in their lives, you guys are a credit to yourselves, cheers from Oz.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    There is some outstanding efforts from you guys in this thread, its not often i drop into this sub forum but im so glad i did, you guys are an inspiration to anybody that has ANYTHING they want to change in their lives, you guys are a credit to yourselves, cheers from Oz.....
    Good find ! Just spent 1.5h reading through these unbelievable stories, rep all spent but will be back for the next few days till i get you all. Keep up the awesome work.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Great Motivation for me Here... thanks for sharing your stories...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    amazing Clay! Your after picture looks like your much younger son!

AC, I'm sure no body even recognizes you as the same guy they knew in 2011!

Very inspiring gentlemen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hey guys,

First post here but have read every thread

Use to be a very active child, always playing outdoors especially riding my bike. Did a staggered ride from the Grampians to Canberra along the great dividing range in Australia doing a week at a time. Then the years ticked by and become less active and slowly accumulated the weight. But it all went downhill like one of the other members when i became addicted to World of Warcraft. I ballooned to 374lb in May of 2009 at 6ft1. It was at that time that i left Australia and traveled around europe for 2 years before moving to Whistler, BC. It was while i was in Whistler that i decided that i need to change my lifestyle and actively reduce my weight. I was originally jogging and had a whole new diet (no soda, no sweets, no takeout), but as you can imagine with that weight and jogging (did manage to get 15min off my PB for 5km) the knees began to feel the pain and decided that it was time to jump back on the bike!

A friend of mine was kind enough to loan me her 3rd bike and have been using that for 2 months now. I am now down to 286lb and have lost 14in off my waist. Still got a long way to go but as a reward will be buying my self a bike for the start of next summer so that i can access more aggressive terrain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-3813_198034945363_5926158_n.jpg  

Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-306835_10150909816020496_439271195_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^ Nicely done

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    It is extreamly amazing to go through this forum as a new comer, and see all the success most of you have had. It only brings positive thoughts for me and my future.

I hope to one day post here of my sucess.

bust a move

Cycling passion, An epic vacation, 18 months and a strong commitment

I am not a writer but I would like to tell my story of my waking up to some realities of my life.

I have suffered from justifying and rationalizing many things in my life in order to not truly deal with them. One of these things is my weight. I started to get chubby in my early teens and was 200 lbs by the time I was 17. I have always thought I looked fat in the mirror but I was told by many people that I wasn't fat and didn't look fat. I spent roughly the next 35 years weighing between 215 and 238 lbs on a 6ft frame knowing I was overweight and being less healthy than I should have been. I had truly accepted the extra weight as okay and just a part of who I was.

For many years my wife and I have dreamed, imagined and talked about taking a vacation that would involve seeing many great national treasures like the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, etc. and of course go ride some of the great mtb locations along the way. Well, the planets finally aligned for us around spring 2011 so that we both were able to get the time off from work necessary and have the extra funds available to put the epic vacation plans into place. So, in late May 2011 we began to seriously put everything together like combining some awesome mtb riding spots with visiting National parks, logistics, reservations and the like. Once most of the major trip plans were made, I found myself a few weeks later thinking about how this 51 y/o, 233 lb, mostly FL riding, weekend warrior was going to receive an ugly beatdown once I actually have to ride real western mountains for the first time (I've read the accounts of many others who've done the same...not pretty).

I did have a decent level of fitness as my wife and I started riding bikes 3 to 4 days a week for over a decade earlier. The problem was I had also adjusted my calories upward to compensate for the extra exercise. As of the second week of June 2011, I started on a year long effort to get in really good shape for the big vacation. I knew I would lose some weight but the real focus was on going to be on fitness. I began to ride my bike(s) almost every day and for longer rides than ever before. By years end, I had pedaled almost 5500 miles and had lost appx. 20 lbs and was seeing big gains in strength and endurance. On January 1 2012, I weighed 212 lbs and was riding every day, feeling great and on my way to reaching the goal. Fast forward to May 26 2012, the day we left on vacation, I weighed 184 lbs and I had ridden over 4000 miles up to that point in the year and went on to have the awesome vacation (I linked the vlog my wife made of the trip at the bottom of this post) I hoped for and the fitness to match. Ironically, I rode less in those 22 days than I had at any point of the year and came back home only to realize that I still had the same interest in riding everyday as I had before the trip. I kept up with the riding all through the summer and fall and continued to get fitter and lighter.

Well, the year is now over and I have really found out some things about myself. I found that for the first time in my life, I believed in what I wanted and I made the commitment to do what was necessary to see it through. I have pedaled 3 bikes a total of 10,600 miles in appx. 690 hrs. averaging 29.04 miles/1.91 hrs per day. I rode 350 days this year. Weight loss for 2012 was 48 lbs and total weight loss for the 18 months was 70 lbs. I also found out that I have much more mental toughness/ability to suffer than I thought previously. This fall I signed up for, completed and enjoyed my first two century road rides.

I never set out to lose weight and I think that is why I succeeded. It was only after I committed to my fitness goals that I started to see and appreciate the weight loss. At some point I felt invested in all the work and began to make significant changes in what, when and how much I was eating. I have maintained my weight under 170 lbs for 2 months now and I am hopeful but not unrealistic about my odds of keeping the pounds off in the future. People who have known me for a long time think I look bad now, like I have an illness (one friend actually said I look like I have aids). Kind of funny how people think you look healthier when you are fat. The other funny thing is that I was always hot when I was fat and now I go around cold all the time.

I share my story in hopes that it will help someone realize that they can be successful even if you have failed many times before. Staying committed to the goal was the key. I also have to say a huge THANK YOU to my wife, family and everyone else who put up with me and all the crazy hours I spent doing this very selfish thing. Also, Thank you to the MTBR members who have helped me with questions and concerns that I have had through out the year.

2012 miles per bike:
    Road bike = 8016 miles
    Rigid 29er SS = 1389 miles
    F/S mtb = 1195 miles

Vacation vlog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhG9Skd0jpk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-picture-171.jpg  

Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-sam_2212.jpg  

Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

^ well done sir!!!

Feels rather vanilla to post my story after that.

6'2" 252 this time last year, down to around 215-220 now. 205 is abs showing with my build, so 215 is a comfortable weight for me.

Just got promoted to a desk job. Have a sneaking suspicion maintaining this weight may be harder than loosing the weight last year was.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    this is great inspiration !!! Im 6'4" 300lbs and I'd love to lose 50+ lbs but i never stick to my routine. I get bored very easily and usually go back down the wrong path. As much as i love to go out and ride i always find an excuse not to do it ??? Im very curious as to what you Clydes eat before or after a good ride. Im usually to exhausted when i come back to cook anything so therefore i eat garbage. So what do you guys eat ??????

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for the post and sharing it gives me hope.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast