Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Bananas are good but its a lot of carbs as well. you can replace the Granola with a Banana. You want to stay away from Simple Carbs and replace them with Complex Carbs such as Potato and Bananas which gives you energy. I know this sounds contradicting but not a lot of bananas is what worked for me.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by TACORICAN View Post
    Bananas are good but its a lot of carbs as well. you can replace the Granola with a Banana. You want to stay away from Simple Carbs and replace them with Complex Carbs such as Potato and Bananas which gives you energy. I know this sounds contradicting but not a lot of bananas is what worked for me.
    Makes sense, thanks. Successful health management requires being an amateur dietician as well.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Guys, I have been struggling with my weight for my whole life. September of 2010 I decided to get serious. I rode my bike every day and eventually raced in the Iceman Cometh (Iceman Cometh Challenge Bicycle Race) in Traverse City Michigan. The problem is that I only lost 42 pounds in a year. I gained some back last December. I tried so many different types of diets and counting calories. Finally I saw the movie Forks Over Knives and read two books. Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman and Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell Esselstyn a cardiologist at the Cleveland Clinic. I am finally starting to see weight loss results. Just some food for thought if any one if frustrated like I was. My site is My Road To Iceman Cometh

GO DAWGS

this is so inspiring

Everyone on here has really inspired me to get my bike working again and hit the trails. I am at 360 lb (the heaviest I have ever been) and I know it will be a long road but I love riding and want to eventually compete in races and events. I know this is a place I can come to get motivation and awesome advice. Thanks toall

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    Awesome job guys. The first pic is me in fall of 2009 somewhere around 365-380. I got serious in spring of 2010 and the next pic is me this summer at the top of Hesitation Point at Brown County State Park. I am bounce around the 260s now. The first 80 were easy, the last 20 have been hard. Haven't smoked since March 2010.
    Well done! Keep it up!

Nothing impressive here, but I was pushing 240 coming out of college and through biking and running, I got myself down to 195. I'm creeping back up into the 220 range so I'm trying to get back out and running more.

Some friends and I hit Brown County last summer. There is some great riding out there!

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Great job. I quit drinking when I was about 27 and it's been 23 years now almost drink-free.

Now I need to work against stuffing..I used to be a trim 165 to 175 range all the time and any more I'm 220 and up.

Quote Originally Posted by anttismo View Post
    Wow, an inspiring thread

I too have been on such a journey. Unfortunately I don't have a good before pic so that is something I'll need to hunt up from family or somewhere.

The pics below are before - Approx Nov '07, ~200kg (440lb). I'm the big white guy in the back
    After - Dec '11 ~100kg (220 lb)

I'm 192 cm (6'4") and peaked about 225 kg (500lb) in Jan '10

I gave up drinking, which used to be an average 100 cans of beer a week, and everything followed from there. Drinking was always my problem, not just in amount, but also because it led to binge eating and no exercise. At 500 lbs I couldn't walk more than about 100 meters at a time and was basically an invalid. I'm 40 yrs old, BTW.

Anyway, gave up drinking, started losing about 10lbs a month. After 3 or 4 months I started tightening up my eating, back to about 2000 Cal a day, and started walking a few miles a day. The next 6 months or so I lost about 10kg (~20 lb) a month.

Once I was down to about 160 kg (350lb) I started cycling. A lot. First it was 100~200kms a week, but that increased to a steady 400kms a week for 2011.

Anyway, the weight loss tapered off as I approached my final weight of 100kg (220 lbs). So I lost about 125 kg (280 lb) over 18 months, and have been about 100kg for the last 6 months.

Main reason I wanted to lose weight was to get back into motorcycling - I dreamed of racing. So I started riding dirt bikes, and then started race track riding again. I bought a GSXR1000 race bike and started road racing, having completed a few race meetings in late 2011. 2012 is shaping up to be a decent season of racing :up:

The cycling was an added bonus. I loved it when I was younger, thought I'd never do it again. But I love it. And now MTB riding. Been getting into it and I love it. Just bought an Anthem X29 and have been hitting the trails. Plan is to try a few XC races later this year. Trailing hard, riding hard, got a good 18months of solid base training behind me now

Still yet to have a drink too. I realized already when I was 30 that drinking was the problem and had to stop. Took me 10 years to stop, but now it is done. Good willing I'll never drink again. Luckily my liver still functions OK

mtbr member
    6'4", this is about a 30 pound difference down to 200 lbs. Hoping to drop even a bit more this year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Congratulations to everyone of you. You are truly an inspiration. Thank you.

Ozzy
    Jan 2012

Alby's story

This is Alby going in to get weighed for the first time, he was 248 kg, 12 months after this photo he got down to 200 kg on a Soup and Shake diet, but couldn't loose anymore weight. Today Alby is not yet riding a bike but I am trying to convince him its the way to go to get back on track with his weight lose. Please pray for Alby to give bike riding a chance to save his life.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hobbo; 04-16-2012 at 11:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Riding a bike can change your life but every person has to find their own way. I wish the best for Alby

Ridin' Furry
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbo View Post
    This is Alby going in to get weighed for the first time, he was 248 kg, 12 months after this photo he got down to 200 kg on a Soup and Shake diet, but couldn't loose anymore weight. Today Alby is not yet riding a bike but I am trying to convince him its the way to go to get back on track with his weight lose. Please pray for Alby to give bike riding a chance to save his life.
    Ask him to read this thread for some inspiration.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well done everyone!

Lots of inspiration in here for me!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Great job everyone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was over 300 when I got on a bike last summer. I hit 260 over the winter and am finally flirting with sub 250. Now if I could just keep from crashing so I stop losing weight in my wallet also

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm a bit less impressive haha, but 2 years ago I weighed 185. I'm 5'9", so this is a bit high. But now I tip the scales at 155.

Ridin' Furry
    Quote Originally Posted by aveenvp View Post
    I'm a bit less impressive haha, but 2 years ago I weighed 185. I'm 5'9", so this is a bit high. But now I tip the scales at 155.
    Congrats, impressive none the less.

Did you ever have ham?

Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's

Quote Originally Posted by stormcrowe View Post
    By the way, y'all, I have an update on my weight loss! As of yesterday, I have lost 136 pounds! Hoooah! Just thought I would brag a bit!
    Brag away, my friend!!! You have every right in the world to be proud!!! I am proud for you...I myself am dealing with diabetes, although it seems my numbers are doing very well as I am not really taking my meds and my sugar is staying in the normal range. I did a local race two years ago and I am training to do it again this year with the goal of beating my time!!! Keep up the great work...I am going to go and check out your blog now!!!

Todd
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Ridin' Furry
    Me in 2003 at 6'1~230Lbs. During this time i got hooked on World Of Warcraft and was pretty much a couch potato. Went up to 267lbs before i was diagnosed with Cancer. Things had to change.

Fast forward to current. I started mountain biking a year ago, quit WoW and am now at a comfy 6'3 ~200lbs & age 25. Cancer free!

No mascots were harmed in the shooting of said first photo.

mtbr member
    Way to go Huskywolf! That's great!
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Hmm. Racing seems to play a big part in a lot of these success stories.

Congrats to you all!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Before 360lbs After 279lbs 5'10"

2.5 yrs ago I had to have some stomach surgery, at that time I was told about how I was at risk for a lot of health problems, already having high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and borderline hi cholesterol....so I'm down about 70lbs, and have been for a little while. I need to keep going and would love to find some riders in the se Michigan area Romeo, Washington, Shelby. Or neighboring cities....I also started a thread about looking for riding friend(s)..
    I would also love to ride a fat bike, but holy moly those are expensive bikes...

mtbr member
    Congrats, 70lbs is not joke. Keep it up.

mtbr member
    I am still trying to lose, but here is a photo set at 363, 280, and 240. The biking photos are about a year apart, same location. Last photo was yesterday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Good job guys and gals! This has got me in the right spot, to finish what I started 5 years ago.... I started around 400 or so, I couldn't even walk up stairs without stopping half way up! I cut pop out, and watching what I was eating... I started out fast losing weight, and right around 320 I couldn't get to my 1st goal of 300 pounds! ( I've had some set backs also) broken knee, hurt knee, and a bike wreck. I've kept the weight off. I've started riding my bike about a year ago! Started racing this year with my son.

Now I'm down to 296 working on 220 or 200...Doctor wants me a 183... With riding trails and bmx cardio. My son also pushes me when I don't want to do it.... Thanks guys

Did you ever have ham?

Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's

I came across a picture of me from 2010, the year I started riding, and I thought it would be neat to try to re-create the photo to see the difference. I have no idea what I weighed back then. I do know that in the middle of February of this year, I weight almost 400 pounds. I was also diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic with thyroid problems in early March. To date, I am down almost 45 pounds...I feel much better and my blood glucose numbers are much, much better!!! Getting involved in mountain biking is the best thing that has happened to me...it also helped me quit smoking over two years ago!!! I would like to say this is my "after" picture, but I am not done yet!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-sany0037.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast