Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    you guys have truly inspired me to keep pedaling and eating right....keep up the awesome work!

mtbr member
    Awesome job guys. The first pic is me in fall of 2009 somewhere around 365-380. I got serious in spring of 2010 and the next pic is me this summer at the top of Hesitation Point at Brown County State Park. I am bounce around the 260s now. The first 80 were easy, the last 20 have been hard. Haven't smoked since March 2010.

mtbr member
    Well...I dont have a before and after pic because I am still in the middle of losing weight...but I am here to tell you it can be done...last year I was diagnosed being diabetic and I thought my world was coming to an end...and it kinda was...so I had to change everything about myself..my eating habits were the worst..I was a soda hound..so I started drinking water (with some flavor stuff to make it taste better)..and at first the weigh came off very quickly...but then I piled it back on again...so I had to figure out that I cant have 2 bagels that are 250 calories each...I cut out alot of bread things (sandwiches etc) I like to eat yet still kinda eat what I want (within reason)..At my heaviest I was 262..but now Im down to 247..Ive lost about 15 pounds in 2 months..I also have been riding more..at least 3 times a week..sometimes more..I hope that I can not be diabetic anymore that is my ultimate goal...but Im feeling the best I ever have in my life....losing weight hasnt been easy..but I think with the right diet and exercise anyone can do it...without surgery..if you want to know what Ive done to lose weight you can email me and I'll tell ya what has worked for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    All of you guys inspire me so much! I always had trouble in the weight department ever since i was a kid. I am very muscular 5'11" 305lb clyde that has a gut and needs to loose it!

My ideal weight is to be around 230lbs. I just picked up a 2011 Cannondale SL 4 29'er and have been riding non stop since i picked her up! I did about 25 miles today on light dirt trails with my cousin who is 17 years old and he almost couldnt keep up.

How frequent do you guys ride? How many miles?

And off topic (WHAT FRONT SHOCK DO YOU GUYS RECOMMEND)? I hate this RST Deuce.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkXcore View Post
    April 3rd of this year, at 6'4" 285lbs. My heart decided to go crazy, racing at upwards of 225bpm sustained for 12 HOURS. Decided it was time to get healthy. I'm currently down to 269, goal of 225 by fall of this year. 200 by next spring.
    Yeah that's not good. My wife had a similar heart rate when she was pregnant with our daughter. They gave her a shot of something with the caveat "now, it will feel very uncomfortable and it will feel like you heart is going to stop completely".

But well done so far, dude

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Last spring I stood on my girlfriend's Nintendo Wii Fit and discovered that I was overweight. It honestly had never occurred to me how out of shape I was so I changed my eating 100% and started mountain biking. I went from Krispy Kreems and energy drinks for breakfast to oatmeal and black coffee. For lunch I'd have a 6" Subway turkey sub and for dinner I would bake some chicken with veggies and snack on fruit all day. I ate pretty much the same thing every day as I'm a creature of habit but it did the trick. I went from 190 to 160 in about 3 months and have kept if off ever since. I hit the gym all winter to bulk up a bit but have pretty much burned off the muscle I gained. I'm currently 149 and actually getting a bit too thin but winter's around the corner so it's back to the gym for a few months. I'm thinking of focusing on body-weight type exercises and indoor cycling to stay in shape for next season. I quit eating meat about a week ago but I haven't decided if it's permanent or not. Definitely not as drastic as most of these transformations but I'm never going back to being overweight and out of shape. The after pic was a few weeks ago on a 50 mile ride. My longest to date!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-fat-me.jpg  

Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-skinny-me.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I forgot some details. I'm 5' 10". During riding season I probably average 25 miles per week mountain biking plus 30-80ish on the local bike paths. I ride 6 days a week, weather allowing and have recently started running around 25-30 miles per week as riding season is winding down and I need some sort of fix!

powered by peanut butter.

Checkin' In, Checkin' Out

Howdy all,

A little over a year ago I started a thread here about my attempts at dropping a few pounds. Thanks to that good advice, some significant changes in my diet (goodbye, carbs), and a lot more time on the road bike, I've gone from about 205 to 172 lbs. (And a size 36 waist to a size 34.) Thanks for all the encouragement, and keep up the good work everyone!

Before (around 210 lbs or so, I think):

After (same jersey even!):
    "Never trust a man in a blue trench coat. Never drive a car when you're dead." -- Tom Waits

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wow, an inspiring thread

I too have been on such a journey. Unfortunately I don't have a good before pic so that is something I'll need to hunt up from family or somewhere.

The pics below are before - Approx Nov '07, ~200kg (440lb). I'm the big white guy in the back
    After - Dec '11 ~100kg (220 lb)

I'm 192 cm (6'4") and peaked about 225 kg (500lb) in Jan '10

I gave up drinking, which used to be an average 100 cans of beer a week, and everything followed from there. Drinking was always my problem, not just in amount, but also because it led to binge eating and no exercise. At 500 lbs I couldn't walk more than about 100 meters at a time and was basically an invalid. I'm 40 yrs old, BTW.

Anyway, gave up drinking, started losing about 10lbs a month. After 3 or 4 months I started tightening up my eating, back to about 2000 Cal a day, and started walking a few miles a day. The next 6 months or so I lost about 10kg (~20 lb) a month.

Once I was down to about 160 kg (350lb) I started cycling. A lot. First it was 100~200kms a week, but that increased to a steady 400kms a week for 2011.

Anyway, the weight loss tapered off as I approached my final weight of 100kg (220 lbs). So I lost about 125 kg (280 lb) over 18 months, and have been about 100kg for the last 6 months.

Main reason I wanted to lose weight was to get back into motorcycling - I dreamed of racing. So I started riding dirt bikes, and then started race track riding again. I bought a GSXR1000 race bike and started road racing, having completed a few race meetings in late 2011. 2012 is shaping up to be a decent season of racing :up:

The cycling was an added bonus. I loved it when I was younger, thought I'd never do it again. But I love it. And now MTB riding. Been getting into it and I love it. Just bought an Anthem X29 and have been hitting the trails. Plan is to try a few XC races later this year. Trailing hard, riding hard, got a good 18months of solid base training behind me now

Still yet to have a drink too. I realized already when I was 30 that drinking was the problem and had to stop. Took me 10 years to stop, but now it is done. Good willing I'll never drink again. Luckily my liver still functions OK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-antti_big.jpg  

Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    anttismo! wow thanks for sharing so much inspiration right there!
    Josh

Ozzy
    Jan 2012

Knee Problems ?

Hi Guys and Gals, I have a friend Alby who was 248 kg two years ago, the doc told him if he didn't loose weight he wouldn't see his 55th BD, they also said that he was Too Big for the Lapband surgery and put him on a packet Soup and Shake diet with No bread, rice, pasta, sugar etc. He lost nearly 50 kgs in the first year ! That was without exercise !, but he Hit a Brick Wall and found that he couldn't loose any more weight ? The doc told him that he Had to Exercise Everyday to loose more but as he has been carrying around all this weight for so long he's knees wont take too much walking or standing. The Question is has anyone had knee troubles like this and still been able to ride a bike with out too much pain ? I have a bike to give him and ride with him but he says he's knees will get too sore ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbo View Post
    Hi Guys and Gals, I have a friend Alby who was 248 kg two years ago, the doc told him if he didn't loose weight he wouldn't see his 55th BD, they also said that he was Too Big for the Lapband surgery and put him on a packet Soup and Shake diet with No bread, rice, pasta, sugar etc. He lost nearly 50 kgs in the first year ! That was without exercise !, but he Hit a Brick Wall and found that he couldn't loose any more weight ? The doc told him that he Had to Exercise Everyday to loose more but as he has been carrying around all this weight for so long he's knees wont take too much walking or standing. The Question is has anyone had knee troubles like this and still been able to ride a bike with out too much pain ? I have a bike to give him and ride with him but he says he's knees will get too sore ?
    Your buddy has done a great job getting started on weight loss. I am not real sure how the cycling would impact his knees as that was never a problem for me. I would say, to look into a anti inflammatory regimen of otc meds and get on the bike. It will get easier as his fitness gets a little better. It is time to harden up and deal with it, or continue down a path that might lead to a shortened lifespan or future medical issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah, I have had some level of knee problems - mainly just wear and tear, no reconstructions or anything.

My knees were quite sore when I was over 200kg. I could walk OK, but they did get sore. I tried to start cycling at about 180kg when I was losing weight, but it hurt too much. I waited a while longer than at 160 kg I started regular cycling. I was amazed to find it was OK. I have continued with lots of cycling since then.

My knees are still not very good - can't walk up 2 stairs at time, can't pedal much standing up - basically due to pain. But sitting and cycling they are fine, and even mountain bike riding and modest MX is OK. I just have to take it easy on how much load I put on the knees when bent. But they fair really quite well all things considered.

I do take a few arthritis type supplements (glucosamine, fish oil), but I'm not sure if they help because the impact of weight loss was so huge. Seriously, I thought I may never ride again, but as I lost weight it has just improved greatly. I also take the occasional course of NSAID - like voltaren - and find if helps quite a lot. But I would check with a doc on long term use because it can be nasty to your internals.

I do walk as well, and in many respects cycling is easier for me than walking. I can cycle for hours without getting too stiff and sore, but long distance walking takes it's toll. That may be just conditioning.

Anyway, I recommend he try and get into cycling. Just find a nice comfy bike, take it easy and use low gears. Hopefully he will find it goes well

Ridin' Furry
    Quote Originally Posted by teggy84 View Post
    This thread is really inspiring. I started thinking about picking up a bike in the beggining of the summer. This thread has made me decide to get a bike for sure, seeing all the success stories and what not. I am 6'3 and around 290-300lbs and want to get down to about 215 within a year. Thanks and good luck to everyone.
    You will not regret riding a bike. First month getting use to the riding in the saddle will be tough but its worth all the effort you can give.

Ozzy
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by anttismo View Post
    Yeah, I have had some level of knee problems - mainly just wear and tear, no reconstructions or anything.

My knees were quite sore when I was over 200kg. I could walk OK, but they did get sore. I tried to start cycling at about 180kg when I was losing weight, but it hurt too much. I waited a while longer than at 160 kg I started regular cycling. I was amazed to find it was OK. I have continued with lots of cycling since then.

My knees are still not very good - can't walk up 2 stairs at time, can't pedal much standing up - basically due to pain. But sitting and cycling they are fine, and even mountain bike riding and modest MX is OK. I just have to take it easy on how much load I put on the knees when bent. But they fair really quite well all things considered.

I do take a few arthritis type supplements (glucosamine, fish oil), but I'm not sure if they help because the impact of weight loss was so huge. Seriously, I thought I may never ride again, but as I lost weight it has just improved greatly. I also take the occasional course of NSAID - like voltaren - and find if helps quite a lot. But I would check with a doc on long term use because it can be nasty to your internals.

I do walk as well, and in many respects cycling is easier for me than walking. I can cycle for hours without getting too stiff and sore, but long distance walking takes it's toll. That may be just conditioning.

Anyway, I recommend he try and get into cycling. Just find a nice comfy bike, take it easy and use low gears. Hopefully he will find it goes well
    Thanks for posting your Amazing weight loss stories everyone, This is really inspirational to those who are trying to rid their weight and regain their health and life. I believe this section on the forum is brilliant, and will give many hope.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    X2 Hobbo!

I'm in the middle of my transformation and honestly didn't think a thread such as this existed. Then tonight surfing around MTBR, something I don't do frequent enough stumbled across this thread. Truly amazing!

Thank you everyone who has opened their door to something many consider a very personal subject. My story will come soon, but first I have to achieve my weigh. Once that happens I'll share my story of battling weight and back surgeries. I'll be watching this tread! Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for posting your Amazing weight loss stories everyone, This is really inspirational to those who are trying to rid their weight and regain their health and life. I believe this section on the forum is brilliant, and will give many hope.

Pedal! Gasp for Air...
    I have very bad knees from my moto-cross and basketball youth. Bone on bone. Riding a bike and swimmng are the main 2 excercises that I can do comfortably, In fact, my kness feel better after riding my bike. Not excercising them hurts more. While riding, I mostly sit since standing is not easy on my knees (but I still have 30-50 pounds to lose, which will help!). But YES, riding a bikes is good for the knees. But spin, not mash. The movement help create lubrication/cartilage. I also wear simple knee sleeves to keep them tight and warm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Wow! All you guys are amazing and very encouraging. Very nice work.

mtbr member

220 Pounds now 153 racing sport and winning

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Last edited by fastmq; 02-22-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: spelling

mnoutain bkie rdier
    All I can say is "keep at it!" Nice work to all

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    First pic is from Dec 2010 at 259lbs. 2nd pic is from July 2011 at 216.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Nicely done. Care to share how you accomplished this?

MTB Trail Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbrain View Post
    Nicely done. Care to share how you accomplished this?
    I second this post!

And kudos to all of your accomplishments!
    PHX, AZ MTBDOC MTB Customs and Repairs

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfyrefyter View Post
    I second this post!

And kudos to all of your accomplishments!

Thanks guys.
    Back in October of 2010 my Doctor rang my bell and said I was border line High cholesterol and would put me on meds if I didn't do anything about it now.
    I spoke with a personal trainer who told me I was eating 3X+ too much. He made recommendations and here is what I modified it to
    You can adjust it to whatever time you normally have breakfast and make your meals after that every 2.5 to 3 hours.

7:30AM - Oatmeal (Put whatever you want on it to make it taste right, just eat it)
    10AM - Granola Bar & Fruit (Anything but Bananas)
    Lunch - Brown Rice & Chicken Breast 6Oz
    3PM Granola Bar & Fruit (no Bananas)
    6PM or one hours before a work out - Baked potato (Loaded if you want, its probably healthier than a lot of stuff we eat these days)& fruit
    7PM Gym / workout (I didnt really do this)
    8:30 - Banana (After a work out, my only workout really was biking)
    Anything after 9PM - Protein ONLY!!!! or sleep early. The longer you stay up the more hungry you get.

DO NOT EAT OUT AVOID FAST FOOD. IF YOU DO EAT OUT, STICK TO MEAT AND VEGGIES

The baked potato I began having it loaded and started cutting back on the cheese slowly and then the Bacon. Wendy's was my Quick and Cheap Baked Potato source specially if I was working late. With this diet I got down to 216. I've now gained a few and I'm at 222.

My shopping list
    Quaker Instant Oatmeal Apples & Cinnamon flavor
    Fruits Mostly Grapes, Tangerines and Pineapples
    Invest in a good rice cooker for Brown Rice. Its hard to make it taste good. Add Chicken Bouillon to make it taste right.
    Chicken Breasts Lots Of them
    Costco Granola Bars. Pick the best ones. What ever you like. The less Sugar the better
    Veggies - As many as you can handle. I hate them but I just ate them Fast and not think about the taste.

Once you plateau, let me know. When I did the following
    Remove → Replace
    Brown Rice Veggies
    Loaded potato → Baked potato & lil Salt
    Granola Bar → A fruit

Yesterday I began Crossfit training along with their Diet. Know many people with great success stories from this diet. Its called the Paleo diet.
    My new goal is to lose another 32lbs by the end of May and I'll be done.

trail rat
    Why no bananas in snacks between breakfast and dinner?

I lost a bunch of weight years back, and I had heart surgery (stents, plugged arteries, bad genes). The potassium is good, since I am on a low sodium plan and potassium suffers as well. I eat 2-3 bananas a day.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast