Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    After the holiday season 2006 I stepped on the scale and weighed in at 248 I'm 6 foot tall in 2006 I was 45 years old. I decided I was not gonna hit 250 my new years resolution was to buy a mountain bike and do something about it.
    Name:  my hog.jpg
Views: 3499
Size:  55.0 KB

My current weight is 208. I ride 3 to 5 times a week. I Raced tho 2010 Prairie City Series, and finished 2nd in clydes. I'm 49 and the people I ride with are 10 to 20 years younger they call me the Old Man a lot of those youngsters have found out how hard it is to keep up with the old guy. Here is my current pic.I'm on the right.
    Name:  1apost.jpg
Views: 3508
Size:  83.8 KB
    Name:  clyde.jpg
Views: 3504
Size:  39.1 KB
    I gave up sodas and deserts well I still eat sweets but maybe ounce a week. Cut down the amount I eat. I can put away some food, and cut back on eating meat. My goal is to race 50+ next year I will have to get down to 195 to be able to compete at 195 I will still probably get beat up buy the old guys. Keep on riding clydes!

mtbr member
    Hey all, mtb has helped me to lose 110+ lbs so far. About 2yrs ago, my wife went to a nutritionist for help getting rid of her migraines, thinking that maybe they were brought on by foods. At the same time, the nutritionist set up a diet for her that would help her lose weight as well. After she started losing weight, she suggested I go to see her as well. The first appointment, I was 398lbs at 6'5''. The first month of regular gym workouts I dropped 26lbs, and it's been off to the races from there.
    Sure, I've had months where I'll put a few pounds back on, but I weighed in at 284 this morning, about 22 months later. Down from a 50" waist to 40", 4xlt t-shirt to 2xlt.

I basically follow a high protein, 'power-foods' diet, which means eating a small meal with at least a little bit of unsaturated fat (nuts, yogurt, peanut butter) every few hours, to keep the metabolism up. I eat about six small meals a day and drink 3-4 quarts of water. I try to ride my bike at least 10 trail miles every weekend, and I ride motocross once or twice a week after work on my dirtbike, as well. (believe me, it's a workout throwing a 230lb motorcycle around the track, motor or not!) My wife and I also do a lot of hiking up in the White Mountains in NH. (So far we've hiked 10 of the 48 4000-footers) and it's going very well, all in all.

If I were strictly concerned with weight loss, I'd have lost more by now, but I've always been a very strong guy, and the first couple months when the weight was pouring off and I was doing almost all cardio, I noticed myself getting weaker, so I decided to slow down the weight loss and focus more on fat loss. I now do much more lifting and other resistance training than I do cardio (probably about 75%/25%) to try to keep the strength from diminishing. So now I'm not only smaller and fitter, but also stronger than I was when I started this whole thing. I'm thinking I still have about another fifty or so to go, slow and steady...

Aug 2008, probably about 385 or so... and the wife, looking much better than her man...

A few weeks ago, at the summit of Mt Field, Crawford Notch, NH, minus about 100 lbs.
    Last edited by towman910; 07-05-2010 at 07:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm 6'1, and was 260lb six years ago. Couldn't walk up ten stairs without breathing hard. Since then, mountain biking, reasonable eating, strength training and generally being active whenever possible, has brought me to 200lb at 10% bodyfat. Words can't describe how much better life is now. And it was mountain biking that helped me the most - I could never consider exercise fun before I took it up.

Haven't got any before pics, so no point in posting a current one.

Anyway - best of luck, to everyone here working to rid themselves of obesity !

mtbr member
    Hello. Long time listener, first time caller.

I'm 5'6", close to 40, and like long walks on the beach.

A few years ago, 2006 I reckon, I was pushing 250lbs and had very high cholesterol. I did pretty OK between then and 2010 going down to 200lbs and bouncing around from 200-225.

This January I decided it was time to stop reading about weight loss and getting faster on a bike and actually do it. I was 207lbs and still had high cholesterol. I'm not terribly hung up on weight but I want to be faster on a bike, lose my gut, and get my cholesterol under control. I picked an arbitrary number of 170lbs as my goal for the year. Still overweight, but a huge improvement.

April rolled around and I was 200lbs and still doing a lot of reading and not a lot of doing. I decided to use my man-crush to my advantage and signed up on Livestrong.com to start tracking my food and fitness. I guess the two startling things that came from that is first, 20 wings and 2 beers is not in fact the perfectly healthy lunch one would expect it to be, and second, riding or walking once every week to two weeks is not the peak training plan I had assumed.

I began eating at a calorie deficit, without really changing much in the way of the what I ate. I also began increasing my exercise. Weekly, twice a week, until I finally and doing something worthwhile 5-6 times a week now. I really focused on "simply but healthy". Where before I had tried hard to follow couch to 5k and failed miserably, I started a strict program of "walk when you're tired, and run when you're bored" and could run a 10k 6 weeks later.

Last week I celebrated my birthday at 167 pounds. 40 pounds lighter than I was just in April. Even better 2 weeks ago I had a cholesterol check and got a clean bill of health. Ironically though improved riding was a big motivator in all of this I'm not getting to the trail any more frequently than I did before. I am certainly faster and can ride more distance but this is what all the work was for and still what needs the most work. My goal now is to ride to work 2-3 days a week (20 mile round trip).

At this point I am thrilled. The only thing missing is a hallmark card that says "Congratulations on seeing your genitals again. Them fellers ain't seen daylight in a looooong time."

Holding off on pics until I hit ideal body weight which at this point is completely possible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm going about things a little differently as I lost weight so I could start participating in outdoors stuff again. I was 248 at 5.11 ten months ago and now weight 208 with an end goal in the 180's. I'm rehabilitating my steel Marin this winter for urban assault purposes and plan to buy some sort of 29er next summer.

Good to see all these posts !

mtbr member
    Hey everyone, I was a clyde and now i'm not .. but keeping in shape is tough as i'm sure all of you guys know.. so a few of us decided to start a FB support group to help get/stay in shape over the coming colder months. Feel free to join up and help everyone out.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...2471264&ref=nf

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm still on the journey downward, but I was looking at pictures last night and figured that I'd do a comparison. It ended up being pretty striking, so I'm going to throw it out there. I've still got a ways to go though, I'd still like to lose another 20-30 pounds to reach my original goal weight of 180-190.

The heavier picture was actually after I'd already lost about 20 pounds, but I don't really have any pictures from my heaviest. The second is me wearing some new clothes. The jeans are 36" waist, and the shirt is a Large. I used to wear 42" pants and XXL (and once in a while XXXL) shirts.

So here's my still-in-progress success story:

New clothes

mtbr member
    This is a truly inspirational thread. 6'1" and 210, so I am about 25-30 lbs heavier than I want to be. My gf started talking about getting a bike a few weeks ago and there was nothing unappealing about the thought for me, so we should be picking them up in the next week or so. I knew it would help with getting in shape, but this thread has really inspired me to get a move on.

mtbr member
    Here are mine. I dont have any fully body shots. Mostly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-28643_402751189356_627119356_4150423_4808972_n.jpg  

Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-img_2047.jpg  

mtbr member

my God, what an inspiration!

I found some pics so I'll share. 1st my hat is off to all the people who have shown their progress and the amazing transformations. After looking through the whole thread my inspiration comes from all, but one person stands out for me and that is Sean L. its truly awesome what you accomplished.

A little back ground is needed I think so here it goes (reader's digest version)

I grew up fat and made fun of. But it made me strong!
    Joined the army at 19yr 6'1" 233lbs
    at 20 in Germany I weighed 208 and the army put me on an overweight program 2 months later I was 175 lbs
    fast forward to 34yr 220 lbs in great shape been in construction as an electrician I get hurt in an accident
    Fast forward 5yrs I'm 39 I'm 367 lbs maybe heavier.
    so on I go
    This first pic is sept '03 367+
    Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-01072009_325.jpg

These are March '09 325+lbs
    Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-dscn0072-copy.jpg
    Name:  DSCN0084 - Copy.JPG
Views: 2782
Size:  92.3 KB

this is Sept '10 277lbs taken on the Glenwood Springs, CO. Bike path, BTW I'm 49yrs old
    Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-dscn0250-copy.jpg
    Psalms 118:8
    "It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man."

Overdrive your life

My Life Blog

Smarter Than He Looks
    Well done...great transformation RenegadeZX!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Before and Durning...not done yet.

Before 350+
    1/1/11 304
    Goal 250.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-12-31-10.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Pig needs better power-to-weight ratio to achieve liftoff...

Some great inspiration in this thread. I've always loved food and soda. I was very active in college, which kept my 5'10" self under 180#, but when I graduated and got a desk job, I was up to 215# within a couple of years. Where I work now, I can bike commute most days (only a 4 mile trip from home to work), and there are racquetball courts nearby where I usually manage one or two games a week with buddies. Still, last winter I was up to 235#, and some of my cholesterol numbers are not the greatest.

At that point, my wife, who was concerned about her weight too, started working on portion control for both of us at meals. That got me down to #215 last Summer, though I've crept back up to 220# this Winter. I need to get the snacking and soda consumption under control, is the main thing. I have also started going to the weight room - I've always been "solid,", but I'm hoping more muscle mass will help me burn off more calories.

Mainly, I'm not getting any younger (I'll be 40 this year), and I need to get on top of my shape and endurance before my toddler can outrun me!

- Flyingpig

Clydesdale by CHOICE!!!!!
    Okay wow never put it on the net but here go's. The fatboy pic is of me in the pool on the fourth of July in 2009 weighing approximately 275 lbs at 5' 8" tall. The second photo is of me about a month ago 2-15-2011 weighing 220 lbs. My overall goal is to be 190 lbs. but we'll see what my % of body fat is at 200 and go from there. It seems the closer I get to my goal I keep wanting to lose a little bit more.

All of my weight loss has been done by healthy eating habits and rigorous weight training and of course a lot of MTB time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-7-4-2009-fat-rico.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member

Hope wt loss

I am 60 y/o and today at the hosp I am an RN at I weighed 256.5..ughhh. I did a couch potato BMR and I need to consume 1855kCal to lose 1 lb per week. Just bought a bike and started riding. Its been kinda hard to ride because of the rain since I got the bike but it looks like this week is gonna be nice. Will try to get miles in 3 x a week. I want to get to an ideal weight for my height of 175# I know it will take at least 2 years but my 14 y/o son want to start riding too.

Just ride.
    May 2011
    Well. I'm not quite a success yet. My before was awesome, the after not that great.
    Now I'm working on the "ever after." Reading through this thread has given me fresh
    hope and inspiration to keep riding and to keep making positive changes. Small
    pictures since anything larger would just hurt the viewers.

Before:

1998 ~160lbs

2003 ~180lbs (did not think I would ever get that big..

After:

Christmas 2010 ~250lbs

Feb 2011 ~240lbs - obtained only through dietary changes.

Currently at 233lbs, started indoor training at 235lbs. I'll post up another picture
    when i can break and stay under 230 for a week.

Main changes this year have been trying to keep my self around 2100 calories
    (what I found to suit my energy levels best when not working out), cut out soda's
    and energy drinks at the start of the new year, and now training for races this year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    great success stories---congrats everyone

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wow, there are some HUGE changes in some of you guys. That is truly remarkable. I will be emailing my father some of these before and after pictures (with owners permission, of course), to see if I can't get him off his recliner and into a saddle.

I don't have anything nearly as extreme as some of you, but I have been working off some extra beers and burritos over the last month.I'll preface the pictures with my story.

I've been in the Army for the last 3 years, constantly increasing in weight since I joined. Before I joined, I weighed 145 pounds at 6'2. In other words, I was a stick that would bleed it you poked it with something sharp, and occasionally made some strange sounds. I've lost all the pictures I had of those days, unfortunately. But a little over a month ago, I stepped on a scale, took a look at my belly, and decided I wasn't happy. I wanted to be as skinny as I remembered being 3 years ago. Two weeks before, I had bought a bike to goof around with on the weekends. I decided to use that bike as my main mode of transportation on base. Here is what has happened so far:

22 years old, 6'2, 220 pounds. Fitting a 36" waist. May 23, 2011:
    http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/8...0523at0857.jpg
    http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/7...523at08572.jpg

Same age and height, at 195 pounds, fitting a 34" waist or smaller. June 27, 2011:
    http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/409...0629at1824.jpg
    http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/2...629at18242.jpg

I have been eating a pseudo-vegetarian diet, with only a single serving of chicken or seafood a day. Being in the army, I was already fairly active, working out 1.5 hours for 5 days a week. But I began riding my bike to and from work, riding for an hour or so during lunch, and riding between 1 and 3 hours after work. Then the bi-weekly trail rides, of course.

I aim to lose another 20 pounds, at least. I know I have put on some muscle mass since I joined the army, and will never be able to get back down to 145 again without sacrificing all of that, so I think 175 is a reasonable goal. If I happen to lose any more, I will chalk that up as icing on the cake.

Just ride.
    May 2011
    Big ups to everyone out there currently losing weight and finding inspiration to others who have posted here.

Broke two milestones this week. Finally hit under 225, and now I'm in spitting distance of 220.

Start: 235 (5/10/11)
    Current: 221.4 (6/29/2011)
    Heaviest: 250

So since I've begun biking again I've lost 13.6lbs and have lost 28.6lbs total (about the weight of my 2 year old daughter). The last time I was 220 was 2/13/2008

199 is still a long ways to go, but instead of rewarding myself with carbs or beer, it's more water and a smile in the mirror. 7/3 will mark half a year of no soda or energy drinks, something I used to have way too much of..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    April 3rd of this year, at 6'4" 285lbs. My heart decided to go crazy, racing at upwards of 225bpm sustained for 12 HOURS. Decided it was time to get healthy. I'm currently down to 269, goal of 225 by fall of this year. 200 by next spring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your BEFORE & AFTER success story photo's-210275_10150198638217790_649962789_8346566_58686_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Good luck and work hard Hawk. I've been there and I am working it off still.. Keep us updated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by myroadtoiceman View Post
    Good luck and work hard Hawk. I've been there and I am working it off still.. Keep us updated.
    Thank you! Had another consult with a new doctor about my heart on Monday... I'll be scheduling a minor heart surgery sometime in August to fix the probelm (ventricular tachycardia). After I'm all healed up and released from doc's care... it's ON.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If it's ok...I just want to say THANK YOU to this thread and everyone who's posted in it.

I'm 6'4" tall and right at 300. most I've ever been. No one would call me fat, but I'm way too heavy. Hiding behind my bulk from heavy lifting for 2 decades...time to slim down.

THIS THREAD came up on a google search I was doing. I joined here because of it.
    Last nite I rode my Single Speed P-1 in 100 degree heat because of the motivation I got from this thread!

I can't wait to go back thru the thread now that I'm a member and can see all the blocked attachments!

congrats to you all - where ever you are on your journey!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone Just signed up as I'm REALLY keen on getting a bike this month!

I'm 6'2" and 250lbs at the moment. Started at 330lbs 9-10 months ago
    I'm getting a bit bored of running every day, so I'm going to get an MB for some fun afternoons/weekends.
    My goal is 220lbs, and I'd love to get there having some fun!

It's great seeing/reading all the success stories in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    This thread is really inspiring. I started thinking about picking up a bike in the beggining of the summer. This thread has made me decide to get a bike for sure, seeing all the success stories and what not. I am 6'3 and around 290-300lbs and want to get down to about 215 within a year. Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast