• 08-12-2014
    la10slgr
    Adim_X,

1st off, I have to agree with you on all fronts, particularly your initial thought the other day. Within that, you are 100% correct in that the literal interpretation of this thread is to show your before and after pics/results and move on, no argument there. Also, I appreciate your discretion in not naming me directly in your complaint, very tactful…

Having said that, when I began doing these posts, this was a 9 year old thread that was pretty much deserted as there were a grand total of 17 posts over the previous YEAR so I figured no one would care if I started doing this and up until now, no one has cared, or at least cared enough to complain about it…. To the contrary, those that have responded to my posts have been very supportive and have provided some very useful information about how to succeed in becoming a before/after success story that everyone (particularly those that are inclined to view this thread in the first place) can benefit from, is this such a bad thing???

Regardless of what I think, as I agreed with you previously, my posts do not strictly conform to the original intent of this thread so they are, therefore, completely inappropriate to the topic. In order to not offend your senses further, I will remove all of my posts from here and take your recommendation to create my own thread.. That way, all of the posts that are 100% appropriate to the thread will not be buried under all of my ramblings..

La10slgr
  • 08-14-2014
    la10slgr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    These are basically my first Hesitation Point self shots from Brown County for each of the last few years. It kinda shows my weight loss.

These pictures probably range about the last 75lbs in weight loss. I am around 225 today, started at 363.

well, there you go buddy, deleted each and every update as much as possible.... As an added courtesy, I'm commenting on your post so as to make sure it is right there on top....

have a good one....
  • 08-17-2014
    velo99
    l
    Looking good brother. Keep up the good work
  • 08-22-2014
    Adim_X
    LA10SLGR, I was going to apologize, but after rereading your post, I digress. Good luck with your journey. Thanks for moving your diary to your own thread.
  • 11-15-2014
    D Bone
    1 Attachment(s)
    What a difference 9 months can make. I was 326lbs on Jan 27 2014 and as I sit typing this, I am now 208lbs.......... I went from just living, to being alive. No surgery, just hard work and nutrition education:

Attachment 939157
  • 11-17-2014
    captbo
    1 Attachment(s)
    Well folks this is the thread I was hoping to find. I have grown to become as others stated here just living and it sucks. I am a Professional weight loss attemptor, I have lost 80 lbs three times in my life in my life but ALWAYS failed to make the lifestyle change. I blew up to 363lbs and I am 5'-10" and staring at 54years old in December.

I have been on medication for blood pressure for the last 5 years. March 1st of 2014 I began the loss journey again I was able to drop nearly 60lbs with the food in check but still no life change as far as activity, I got married May 17th 2014 and I slacked off until now.

I ordered a Motobecane Fantom 29 trail and It should arrive 11/18/2014 I can't wait to begin a life style that includes cycling, as a younger adult I rode road bikes a little and enjoyed it. Now I think, living along the Patuxent river near the Chesapeake Bay give me great places to ride, This first picture is me cooking at my rehersal dinner, I will post others as I move along! thanks for the support and if I can help anyone please reach out!
  • 11-17-2014
    Thatshowiroll
    Quote:

Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    What a difference 9 months can make. I was 326lbs on Jan 27 2014 and as I sit typing this, I am now 208lbs.......... I went from just living, to being alive. No surgery, just hard work and nutrition education:

Attachment 939157

That is incredible. Good work.

Care to elaborate on your journey?
  • 11-17-2014
    D Bone
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    That is incredible. Good work.

Care to elaborate on your journey?

Thanks my friend!

I really don't know how it happened, but in what seemed like the blink of an eye, I was suddenly 326lbs, of course it took almost 7yrs to get there. On Jan 27 2014 I hit rock bottom and finally saw myself for what I had become.

That day I decided that I was going to lose weight and become "me" again, not just for me, but for my one-and-only 19yr old daughter who was going to lose her daddy if I didn't man up, and get healthy.

If this journey were climbing Mt Everest, getting my head right was the equivalent of getting to within 100yds of the summit. It took almost a decade to do, but once it happened, it happened in minutes, maybe seconds.

For the 1st 90 days I limited my intake to 1200 calories a day. I educated myself on how many calories a 46yr old sedentary man needed per day to weigh 225lbs (my goal weight) and I made sure to eat 500 calories a day less than that.

I increased my activity level, and started to ride my city bike. I was worried about loose skin, so I started doing pushups, ok, a pushup lol as well as crunches and pullups, ok, 1/10th of a single pullup.

I lost about 30lbs and got into the 200s in about 45 days. I still didn't see any change in the mirror, and then on one normal day, I did! Once that happened, it was a vicious circle......... The more I saw change, the more intense my nutrition and exercise became.

I was now up to 3 sets of 6 pushups and 3 sets of 2 pullups! The weight just kept falling off, and my "dream" goal of 225lbs was suddenly within reach. On July 27 2014, I hit and exceeded my goal.

Since 1/27/14 I have ridden 880 miles (as I type this), bought a new Jamis Dakar XCR 29er and now do 4 sets of 30, 25, 18, 15 pushups with my feet elevated & using "Perfect Pushups", as well as 4 sets of 8, 6, 5, 3 pullups and 300+ crunches, all 3x per week.

At the start of the journey I focused on calories only, and ate a lot of raw veggies. Now, I'm also focused on protein intake as well to help keep and build muscle so I don't have that loose skin, and so far, I have been very blessed not to have a problem with it.

I weigh each and every portion of food, at each and every meal now. I eat turkey, egg whites, beans, salmon, veggies, fruits, nuts, ect... When people ask what I now eat, I simply say "all the food that Dr.'s say we should eat". I haven't had red meat or a drop of milk (I love both) since 1/27/14.

I now am in maintenance mode, and eat 3,000 calories per day, with 180-220g of protein. I don't keep track of fat grams, because I know with the food I'm eating, I'm more than good.

I don't consider this a diet, but rather a life style change. I will probably have to weigh my food and count calories for the rest of my life, but as hard as that sounds, it's really easy and adds maybe 3 minutes to my day............ If I don't have 3 minutes a day to spend towards my health, then I don't deserve to be healthy.

My sleep apnea is gone. My blood psi meds gone. My cholesterol meds gone. My GURD meds, gone.

I was given a second chance at life, and I had it in me the whole time, but I just couldn't access it, but once I did, it has been fairly easy.

Lastly, one of the tricks that helped in the early days when I was starving all day, was to tell myself that I was going to turn that physical feeling of huger, into love for my daughter.......... The hungrier I got, the more I loved my daughter. I didn't just "say" it, but I bought into it, and I did it.......... It was the difference in the early days.

For almost a decade, the 1st thing I thought about in the morning was losing weight, and it was the last thing I thought about before bed. And then, on just a normal day, I decided to really do it, and it saved my life.

Attachment 939734
  • 02-05-2015
    pavlov0032
    amazing journey! you should publicize it somewhere..
  • 02-05-2015
    D Bone
    Thanks for the kind words! I would publicize it, but I don't have the slightest idea where. lol
  • 02-05-2015
    pavlov0032
    Quote:

Thanks for the kind words! I would publicize it, but I don't have the slightest idea where. lol

Everywhere! Facebook, twitter etc.. post the before/after pic and the story!
  • 04-15-2015
    KevinMc
    ....I've spent the last few hours reading these testimonies ~ Stormcrowe... D bone... etc and I'm just ashamed of myself. I can't believe how long I've struggled with this and allowed myself to get away with it... I'm new to cycling, 330lbs, 38 years old and these posts have been uplifting and inspiring. I started biking 3 weeks ago, and this week I started back at the gym becuz I wanted to improve stamina and endurance on the trail. I truly hope I can share a success story and give back to those that inspired us!

I will carry this statement like a torch, becuz my 3 year old daughter, wife, and my newest daughter who is on the way are worth it!

Quote:

Lastly, one of the tricks that helped in the early days when I was starving all day, was to tell myself that I was going to turn that physical feeling of huger, into love for my daughter.......... The hungrier I got, the more I loved my daughter. I didn't just "say" it, but I bought into it, and I did it.......... It was the difference in the early days.
    ...game on...

Kevin
  • 04-15-2015
    D Bone
    Wow, I'm humbled. Thanks for your kind words.

Kevin, dude, you got this! All you have to have is the desire to want it, I mean really want it, and it sounds like you have that.... Do it for your kids, your wife, your parents, your siblings, your friends. Do it so you will be in their lives for a long, long time.

I don't have a single doubt that in the very near future, I am going to be reading your story and seeing your before and after pictures!

Best of luck my friend,

Darryl
  • 04-27-2015
    KevinMc
    Im doing a 1500cal diet and I'm happy to report week 1 was a 10lbs loss! I've been in the gym everyday minus Sunday which was MTB day and I rode 6 miles and met my first rat snake on the trail! It just about got a 29in rolling back massage!

Here we go week 2!

Kevin
  • 04-27-2015
    D Bone
    Awesome! Hopefully you have a great support system, and even if you do, my advice would be to have 'tunnel vision'. You are going to need to be selfish (for a better word) in some of the choices you make, and hopefully your family and friends will understand that. My wife was awesome, as were my friends and that made a hard thing easier.

God willing, you are going to be on the earth come Dec 31 2015, one way or the other. Why not get to that day 100lbs lighter? That will happen if you eat less than you burn.... it is a mathematical certainty.

Best of luck, and I look forward to your updates.

Darryl
  • 05-08-2015
    Warura
    2 Attachment(s)
    My personal 12 week training regimen, went from 242lb to 200lb, from XL to M shirt size and from 40" to 32" waist.

Attachment 986970
    Attachment 986971
  • 05-09-2015
    Thatshowiroll
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Warura View Post
    My personal 12 week training regimen, went from 242lb to 200lb, from XL to M shirt size and from 40" to 32" waist.

Attachment 986970
    Attachment 986971

Do tell!!!
  • 05-10-2015
    Warura
    Just read the book "Supertraining", and applied it to my weight training and sports I like to play. I eat plenty, not like a diet, more like a "way of eating". Basically, you have to train based on your goals. Power, strength, explosiveness, endurance, fat burn? You need to focus on what you want.
    Strength = 4-5 sets of max 6 reps with 70-80% max weight.
    Explosiveness = plyometrics, shock method
    Endurance= 8 sets of 20 reps 10-25% max weight
    Fat burn= even if you feel you are not making efforts, any cardio that puts you in the 65% max heart rate. 2hr.

More is not always better. When it comes to exercise, we want the best results without doing too much. Train smart. After all we want our bodies to last longer, so we can enjoy what we do.

Food
    Basically you could follow obamas healthy nutrition page, but just balance your meals, this is a portion of good quality protein, 2 portions of carbs (veggies n fruts), a portion of cereals. By portions I mean 1/4 of a normal plate.
  • 05-11-2015
    dadtorbn
    Quote:

Thanks my friend!

I really don't know how it happened, but in what seemed like the blink of an eye, I was suddenly 326lbs, of course it took almost 7yrs to get there. On Jan 27 2014 I hit rock bottom and finally saw myself for what I had become.

That day I decided that I was going to lose weight and become "me" again, not just for me, but for my one-and-only 19yr old daughter who was going to lose her daddy if I didn't man up, and get healthy.

If this journey were climbing Mt Everest, getting my head right was the equivalent of getting to within 100yds of the summit. It took almost a decade to do, but once it happened, it happened in minutes, maybe seconds.

For the 1st 90 days I limited my intake to 1200 calories a day. I educated myself on how many calories a 46yr old sedentary man needed per day to weigh 225lbs (my goal weight) and I made sure to eat 500 calories a day less than that.

I increased my activity level, and started to ride my city bike. I was worried about loose skin, so I started doing pushups, ok, a pushup lol as well as crunches and pullups, ok, 1/10th of a single pullup.

I lost about 30lbs and got into the 200s in about 45 days. I still didn't see any change in the mirror, and then on one normal day, I did! Once that happened, it was a vicious circle......... The more I saw change, the more intense my nutrition and exercise became.

I was now up to 3 sets of 6 pushups and 3 sets of 2 pullups! The weight just kept falling off, and my "dream" goal of 225lbs was suddenly within reach. On July 27 2014, I hit and exceeded my goal.

Since 1/27/14 I have ridden 880 miles (as I type this), bought a new Jamis Dakar XCR 29er and now do 4 sets of 30, 25, 18, 15 pushups with my feet elevated & using "Perfect Pushups", as well as 4 sets of 8, 6, 5, 3 pullups and 300+ crunches, all 3x per week.

At the start of the journey I focused on calories only, and ate a lot of raw veggies. Now, I'm also focused on protein intake as well to help keep and build muscle so I don't have that loose skin, and so far, I have been very blessed not to have a problem with it.

I weigh each and every portion of food, at each and every meal now. I eat turkey, egg whites, beans, salmon, veggies, fruits, nuts, ect... When people ask what I now eat, I simply say "all the food that Dr.'s say we should eat". I haven't had red meat or a drop of milk (I love both) since 1/27/14.

I now am in maintenance mode, and eat 3,000 calories per day, with 180-220g of protein. I don't keep track of fat grams, because I know with the food I'm eating, I'm more than good.

I don't consider this a diet, but rather a life style change. I will probably have to weigh my food and count calories for the rest of my life, but as hard as that sounds, it's really easy and adds maybe 3 minutes to my day............ If I don't have 3 minutes a day to spend towards my health, then I don't deserve to be healthy.

My sleep apnea is gone. My blood psi meds gone. My cholesterol meds gone. My GURD meds, gone.

I was given a second chance at life, and I had it in me the whole time, but I just couldn't access it, but once I did, it has been fairly easy.

For almost a decade, the 1st thing I thought about in the morning was losing weight, and it was the last thing I thought about before bed. And then, on just a normal day, I decided to really do it, and it saved my life.

Attachment 939734

:thumbsup:
    Thanks for sharing
    :thumbsup:
  • 05-14-2015
    tatankainlondon
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Warura View Post
    Just read the book "Supertraining"................

Would you mind posting a link to an online place that has this book?
  • 05-15-2015
    Warura
    Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/889040...PpL&ref=plSrch

You can also visit the authors homepage. Sadly he passed away sometime ago, but there is a lot of good info there. It changed my life in terms of training, I am playing better basketball (my primary sport) now, then when I was in highschool/pre college. After almost 8 years without any sport activity (a very bad shoulder injury), never would I dreamed of dunking it again with just 5 month training. Now I am mtbing and am rising faster than people that have more time riding and training dont know how...(at least people comment on that)

Like I said before, we have limited body health and time, so to me its important to train as little as possible, in the most smart and effective way as to get better gains and use that body in the things that really matter, today that is playing basketball and riding mtb.

Verkhoshansky Site

This is in my opinion, the training bible. Its not a book with exercises, its a book with clinical trials on ways of training. How muscles work and how to develop the part of the muscles you need. He focuses mainly on explosive muscles, not that helpful on bike riding, but for that he need to explain the other type of muscles, so there is indirect info on how to train for sports like mtb.

Unrelated, but reading this book you will undestand why things like crossfit are not good, there is literally a chapter that describes "crossfit"(not that precise word cause the term didnt exist in that time, but the description is accurate) as wrong. By the way, it was written a long time ago (long time 80s), and still I see "new and effective" ways of training being sold today that are documented in that book, hence me saying its the training bible.
  • 05-18-2015
    KevinMc
    Very interesting Warura.... I'll be digging a little further on this.

So, I left ya hanging on week 2... It was a bust! 1500 cal a day diet, 6 days a week 1hr a day in the gym, 1 night a week martial arts, and one day trail ride of 6-7 miles I absolutely didn't lose a pound....In fact I gained! 5lbs! 3rd weeks wasn't any better, I was frustrated and didn't feel like posting my failures. This week I'm almost back down to the 10lbs that I lost initially the first week. But after talking with a lot of ppl it was concluded that I wasn't taking in enough calories and it was possible my body was going into starvation mode. Calories in Calories out right? Guess not in my case.. I've upped my caloric intake and today I weighed in at 322 from 331 four weeks ago. Slower start than I wanted but I'll take it. I think I've learned that I tend to lose more the more I bike so I think I'm going to loosen up on the gym and start biking more miles. I thoroughly enjoy being back into Martial Arts and of course I'm still loving biking. Not down and out or frustrated, just having to learn my body to maximize weight loss. I'll be back soon!

Kevin
  • 05-18-2015
    mca90guitar
    Started working out in march and went from 235 to 204 so far. want to get down to 170 by the end of summer and see how things look.
  • 05-19-2015
    Warura
    1500 calories seems low, if your training. If you where to do zero to almost none exercise that would be ok. My best results in my case I was taking about 2000-2200 cal, because you neeed it with all the training, my goal was to burn 2500-2800 a day. With that you should lose about 2-4 lbs weekly. Better to go a little at a time, to my knowledge the more it takes to get there the more it would take to rebound if you have to stop for any reason your traning/diet (work, injury, plain rest). And also your body gets used to burning fat. I have left 1 month without training and maybe losing 20% of my condition, get to it again starting moderate for my condition lost for a couple of weeks and lose the weight gained faster than before and then some.Rest is also very important, I found that 3 intense weeks of exercise and then 1 week off/ rest I get better and faster results on the long run.
    Basically you "destroy" your muscles training, and resting is the part when they recover and get stronger/bigger. Consider this if you are also building muscle and/or strength.
    note: by rest I mean go out and do your sport, mtb. By the fourth day (aprox time your muscles will be fully recovered) you will see the benefits of the 3week workout.
  • 05-19-2015
    dadtorbn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinMc View Post
    Very interesting Warura.... I'll be digging a little further on this.

So, I left ya hanging on week 2... It was a bust! 1500 cal a day diet, 6 days a week 1hr a day in the gym, 3 nights a week martial arts, and one day trail ride of 6-7 miles I absolutely didn't lose a pound....In fact I gained! 5lbs! 3rd weeks wasn't any better, I was frustrated and didn't feel like posting my failures. This week I'm almost back down to the 10lbs that I lost initially the first week. But after talking with a lot of ppl it was concluded that I wasn't taking in enough calories and it was possible my body was going into starvation mode. Calories in Calories out right? Guess not in my case.. I've upped my caloric intake and today I weighed in at 322 from 331 four weeks ago. Slower start than I wanted but I'll take it. I think I've learned that I tend to lose more the more I bike so I think I'm going to loosen up on the gym and start biking more miles. I thoroughly enjoy being back into Martial Arts and of course I'm still loving biking. Not down and out or frustrated, just having to learn my body to maximize weight loss. I'll be back soon!

Kevin

If you are hungry on 1500 calories a day then one of two things will happen... You'll succeed at some risk of catabolizing muscle or hunger will win.

It is NOT calories in vs. calories out. Weight gain/retention has primarily to do with the insulin response/levels in your blood stream. This is set by carbs and even more importantly simple carbs consumed. It is highly individualized and linked to genetics and dietary history. Exercise is secondary at best to this. Eat fat, managable protien and minimal carbs with NO simple carbs and the weight WILL drop off w/o hunger pains. There is a period of time as you cut back carbs that will suck a bit though. I can provide much references to this effect and I'm recommitting to this lifestyle myself and the weight is falling off.
  • 05-22-2015
    KevinMc
    Thank you very much Warura and dadtorbn! Im up for trying anything.. so I will adjust and keep at it! By God I will be success story one way or another!! Lol
  • 06-08-2015
    KevinMc
    Just reporting in.... After playing with the numbers and changing protein intake.. I now am taking in around 2000-2200 calories a day and I'm happy to report this week I've lost 6lbs!

highest = 336
    Current = 318

Slow and steady... and I'll take it!

Thanks
    Kevin
  • 06-23-2015
    E-Wing
    2 Attachment(s)
    Ill throw mine in the mix

In June 2010 I weighed in at 404 that was the day I decided enough was enough. I have tried every fad diet out there and nothing worked for me. I didn't exercise much due to having several knee surgeries and a complete knee replacement. I used the knee thing as a crutch for a while to give myself an excuse for being fat. So to start off I figured I better get a physical. I went to my doctor and he ran every test on me imaginable to find out just how bad off I was. When the first round of results came back he looked disgruntled and ran them all over again. The second time they came back and showed absolutely nothing wrong with me (cholesterol - great, blood sugar - great, blood pressure - outstanding) you name it he tested for it and i passed it with flying colors. The last thing he said to me that day was "you are the healthiest fat guy i have ever seen". With that i started my journey to finally do something about it. I did not go on a diet, i changed the way i ate. I completely cut out fast food, cut out sugar to a bare minimum and mostly ate fresh foods. Good thing for me is i have always liked salads and i love chicken almost to the point where i should turn into a rabbit with feathers. Also I grill everything, I run through a bottle of propane about every 2 months. However, the main change i made was portion control. I know a few folks my size went and had the gastric bypass stuff done, spent a ton of money doing it and one almost died from it. Not being a fan of doctors or hospitals i wasn't going that way. I figured that all the surgery does is make it to where you can only eat small amounts at a time so why not eat small amounts and forgo the gutting by a Dr... That's exactly what i did and i started shedding weight like crazy. Also my Dad had gained a bunch of weight years before and he took up road biking and he went from a XXL size to what I would call Xtra Medium. He is a little bitty guy now. Back then I had bought a road bike to follow in his footsteps, I tried it for a little while and put it up. However, now since I was losing weight I broke it back out and thought I would turbo charge the weight loss. Started out rough, I found a lightly traveled road parked my truck and rode as far and as hard as I could and then then limp back and as painful as it was, it felt good. Long story short it took me until March of 2012 to get down to 240 lbs where I hit a hard core plateau. I started riding less and less and then stopped. I ended up gaining back up to 290 in May of this year. I said to myself screw this and broke the bike back out and today im back down to 270. Now my new goal is to get a mountain bike and ride the trails around here, looks like it would be a blast. I want to ride in the ididaride this winter which is a 50 mile mountain bike ride here in Florida.
    My weight goal is to get to 200lbs and I’m damn determined to get there

Here is my before
    Attachment 997725

And here is when i was around 250
    Attachment 997724
  • 06-23-2015
    D Bone
    1 Attachment(s)
    WOW!! Great job! Just keep looking at the big picture, that being your goal weight, and you'll eventually get there. I look forward to your updates....... :)

You inspired me to take a quick pic of how I look today, at 203lbs:

Attachment 997730
  • 07-14-2015
    Forster
    Nothing pic worthy (only planning on going from 215 to 190) but I just hit 201 for the first time since back surgery in 2009. My wife was pondering going back to Weight Watchers but decided it was cheaper for us to do the support thing mutually. I know there's more to weight loss than a couple of books on food points, but it's a manageable system and when I ride, I can easily burn a beer or two.
  • 07-17-2015
    Big Willy
    Amazing and inspirational stories!!!

I've been riding for many years, on and off... mostly off.

On top of high blood pressure, I just got diagnosed with Type II diabetes at the beginning of June; so I figured it was time to get my lazy, TV watching ass off the couch and back onto my bike!

Doesn't help that I have a sitting job... No excuse, though.

I am 6'-1" and I was 279 lbs on June 01 and I have dipped into the 250's for the first time in a long time. I still felt pretty good back then, but feel even better now. Amazing what your body gets used to over time...

I am reducing carbs (bread is my kryptonite) and getting out on the bike at least 3 times a week.

Hopefully I can keep it up.

I don't really have a weight goal yet, just looking to keep the pressure and sugar down. So far, so good.

Keep it up (or down, if you will...) everybody.

Ride on!
  • 08-30-2015
    DaHeckler
    @ Warura -
    The Amazon link in your post on the previous page for super training says its $65, is that the correct book? And looks like you can't get a electronic version only paper back, is that correct?...thanks
  • 10-23-2015
    Layout1
    Wow I thought I had done good nothing like you have done. When I was 62 doctor put me on a water pill and then I noticed my face looked a little thinner. Kind of liked it so I began a diet, riding a bike, and walking. I was at 253lbs. Went to the doctor about 3 months after the doc. said you've lost some weight are you dieting and I said yep am I loosing it too fast, nope just about right was the reply. It was about that time I set my goal to get down to what I was when we got married which was 180. There were times when I was not eating and I'd get a little bit of the shakes. Everyone said not good I said yes I still would delay a couple of more hours before eating something because my line of think was the fat during hours fat was really burning off. Well 8 months after starting I was at 178. I feel my body was reprogramed and didn't eat like before. It was amazing how many times a day I would tell myself no don't eat. Sometimes I would swallow my spit as that seemed to work for me in taking away the hunger for maybe another hour or two. Cut out a bunch of stuff and went for fruit and salads but mostly didn't eat. A few exercises a few times an week...push ups sit ups etc.

What you have done is way over the top and I congratulate YOU !

I've gained back about 18lbs since about 3yrs. ago. Feel great and stopped smoking those 2 packs a day. I started vaping, like e-cigarettes but better and the day I started I didn't need cigarettes. That was 1.5yrs ago. Still no smokes. You see its better than the patch as you reduce your nicotine at your pace and the juice flavors are all over the place like choc. strawberry, coffee, tobacco, etc. etc.

Vaping is very much like smoking but the most important thing is finding at least 3 flavors that you really like. Reason for this is our taste buds react different during the day and you don't want to only have 1 or 2 flavors as you might get tired of them and go get a pack of cigs.

I'm sharing all this vape stuff because there are still many folks that think its still like it was when e-cigs first came out but man have they changed. You smokers need to go to as many vape shops as you can find. Most will let you try their flavors. Keep at it as vaping can be very satisfying.

Any questions my email is open let me know.
    Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigkahunadad View Post
    Feb 1 2002 found me at UCLA in a surgeons office talking about preperations for bariactric surgery the following may. My weight...458lbs. at 6'1" 41yrs. old I wore a size 60" waist and was obviously a mess. I started a diet/exercise routine to try and lose as much as possible before the surgery. I had so much sucess that I cancelled the surgery. Later that year I took up mtb. By thanksgiving 02 I was down to 320lbs., but had a bad mtb accident that kept me off the bike for a extended time. Fast forward to thanksgiving 04, I weigh in at 380lbs. and decide I have to get serious about my health. I take up roadbiking and got hooked, this morn I stepped on the scales at 275lbs, my goal is to get down to 220lbs., and now I'm confident I'll be able to. I wear a size 42"-44" waist now. So far this year I've logged over 1400 miles on the road and have done 3 organized centurys. The trick now is to balance my road riding with mtbing. I'll post 3 pics ,1 at 458, 1 at 380 , and 1 at 280.
    Jim S.
    OK HERES THE PICS!

• 03-17-2016
    TRaGiK
    Christmas week last year, I was diagnosed with Diabetes (type 2, and no insulin...controlled with a pill and diet), and was very overweight. 5'7" and 252 pounds. I have a family history of diabetes, and also know what happens if you don't take care of yourself with diabetes. I was also a 2 pack a day smoker. Prior to being diagnosed, I started to think "I look like a slob and feel like crap", but couldn't motivate myself to do anything. Nothing is more motivating than "You've got diabetes and you'll possibly lose your legs and organ function if you don't do something!".

I immediately changed my diet, getting rid of the majority of sugar, and vastly decreasing other carbs. December 31st I bought a bicycle, and starting riding 20+ miles a week.

As of now, I'm down to 229 pounds, my blood sugar levels are that of a non-diabetic, dropped a size in clothes, and feel a lot better. I quit smoking in favor of vaping.

My goal for the year is to get down to 200 pounds, get off the meds, and be in good enough shape to do a bike race. Also, quit vaping.

Pics when I've lost a few more pounds.
  • 03-17-2016
    avidthrasher
    So, I wish I had some pictures but this has been more of a sort of prove it to myself kind of thing and I didn't think to take pics as I'm not too fond of sending my ugly mug on voyages across the interwebz. But... since it's been a year and a new spring is rolling and I am still on track I am inspire to post here along with everyone's great stories!

Last January 7th I weighed myself and found the astoundingly depressing reading of 373 lbs. Now I have always been a big guy and am a former collegiate football player so have spent a good portion of my life in the gym and eating pretty much whatever I liked and having it only show up as "positive bulk" in the little slice of world I lived a huge portion younger life in. But at 33 and years after having let any seriously competitive athletic avenue this number really hit home. That along with the fact that the added bulk I had acquired over the past several years was wreaking havoc on old nagging injuries to joints from my younger years as well as my mild asthma and I decided it was time to get my ass back in gear!

Over the past year I have worked to drastically change my general eating habits and routine (portion control is a huge thing to adjust to after you grow up eating as much of whatever you want and not packing on flab to show for it, lol). Dialed things down to eating a simple piece of fruit or a handful of nuts in the morning after hitting the gym, have a nice salad for lunch, then a sensible protein oriented supper/dinner with minimal carb intake as a general rule of thumb. Generally I have prepared myself a veggie or nut type of snack for the midday stretch between lunch and dinner if I feel peckish at all, but this has worked for me (partially through force of will at times).

As far as physical activity goes I hit 60 minutes of cardio either at the gym or on the wind trainer at home 6 days a week. I try to push out 1000 push ups a day and at least 500 situps/crunches. This is my general "gym" routine then I try to get in 10-12 mile loops 3-4 times a week plus some heavy rides on the weekends.

As of now I am down 140+ lbs since that day last January and am still working to get where exactly I want to be. It feels good to know that I can do this without it feeling like too much of a chore even though I am a bit older now. Just gotta keep working and keep from slacking again!

Thank you to everyone else who has shared their stories!
  • 03-17-2016
    D Bone
    Great job guys! Stay focused and continue to look at the big picture, and remember, God willing you're going to get to New Years Eve this year one way or another, and what you look like and how you feel on that day is entirely up to you!

Keep it up!
  • 07-31-2016
    DanInVA
    So, I don't have any photos, but here is my before and what I have done so far.

About 2 and a half years ago, I started going to the gym to try and get back in shape. I had some successes at the gym and saw some weight loss results. After a while though, I hurt my knee on the treadmill, and that took a bit of my excitement out of the gym somewhat. It was at about that time that I changed shifts at work and stopped going to the gym altogether. It didn't take long for all of my progress to vanish right before my eyes.

After about a year, though, I started getting the urge to get back at it, and that was my starring point. I am 6'4" and weighed about 285, and was looking for a way to get some excercise that wouldn't hurt my knee again and that I could work into my day. I bought a cheap bike from wal mart (rookie mistake) and started using it to ride to work every day. It started out being really tough, and I wasn't sure I could really do it, but I decided to stick with it. After a few months, I started to see real results, and was feeling great. Meanwhile, my cheap POS bike was disintegrating. Lesson learned, I bought a better bike. It is still an entry level machine at best, but it has served much better.

I didn't really stick to my plans to commute on the bike through the winter, but this spring I picked myself up and dusted myself off and got back on the bike. Today I am checking in at 240 and falling. I still have work to do, but I am working on it, and sooner or later I am going to get there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk