View Poll Results: What do Clydes Need Most for MTB?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clyde specific spec'ed mountain bikes

6 12.50%
  • Websites, blogs, magazines, social networks, etc.

1 2.08%
  • Clyde specific components

6 12.50%
  • Clyde sized MTB clothing

16 33.33%
  • Events, Clyde Only Races, Festivals, etc.

2 4.17%
  • Clyde specific gear reviews

12 25.00%
  • Training/weight loss/nutrition/fitness programs for Clyde athletes

5 10.42%
    Large and In Charge

Poll: What kind of Clyde resources most needed?

Ok, just curious, but have thought for a while about what was lacking most for the (real) Clydesdale market. What do you think is the biggest (pun intended) need in the Clyde community, mountain biking or other...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't think that it matters what is lacking, because us clydes are such a tiny percent of the market that it would be difficult to cater to us.

mtbr member
    good idea here. Going to hit points of the poll. But I voted more component availability though be nice to see races have a clyde sub class like they have age groups and such. 30yr age group against guys that are 175lbs on hilly terrain is kinda a bad gap. Clyde classes would bring more into the sport because they will see a place for them, thus side effect of healthier and happier clydes. but ppl think over 200lbs is clyde status, not imo, not at my height.

Catering, if you actually look around, clyde market is growing both in number of riders and things available.

Examples: Manitou (choice for new fork after 10s of hours of research) Tower Pro. They offer internals to support clydes while giving a smoother ride than most near that price point. Plus easy to come by.
    Bontrager and others, my 270lb, 6'2 butt hasnt had an issue getting gear in my size except just in some cases having to go a size up cause manufacturers are FREAKING STUPID! Cant use the standard sizing correctly, cause large from one place will be 2 xl at another. Hence why I mentioned bontrager first, so far only company I can simply use my normal clothing size to buy correct size gear. Many others I have to go next size up sometimes 2 sizes (at which point biggest size they offer).

Speced bikes, they are already rated for ~300lbs so making bikes for us, at least bigger companies, dont see it happening and not a problem really. Maybe more of offering a discount for clyde friendly forks or allowing us to choose "firmer" (when applicable) fork or shock internals at no cost when new bike is purchased.

As for the rest, comes with the races/events. Clydes need to stand up and be recognized cause their are way more of us than we realize, just many are afraid of ridicule being out riding at our size. I was fortunate, local club (which Im now honored to be a member of) has shown unmatchable support to myself, other clydes and anyone who wants to ride.

Cycling overall has created an "elitest" image of best bikes, best physical shape ppl. Just like the whole mtb cause for getting trail access etc, getting the word out that being big doesnt mean you cant ride the trails and have fun making new friends.

All of the above are needed, but biggest of all is letting it be known clydes are welcome here and there is a place for us as it comes down to the one thing above all, getting out and riding.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    clyde-sized frames.

To me that's the only thing that's really lacking in the market. It's amazing to me how just about every brand has frames to fit people shorter than 99% of the population (i.e., women-specific) but many don't have frames to fit people over 6'; which are a similar percentage of the population, and more likely to ride mtbs.

Large and In Charge
    Thanks for the feedback you guys. Tigris, awesome post. I was just thinking out loud about looking for a clyde-related side project, whether it is an event, website, etc. I always thought it would be cool to do all the research on all the components, and put together build kits and frames that are specially selected for durability and best handling with more weight. Then you could just order a "Clyde Bronson" or something from a website with a fork, wheelset, brakes, etc. designed for big boys.

I totally agree with the elitist statements. I was and at times still am a little intimidated going into the bike shop with my broken chain in front of all the 120 lb spandex crew. In reality, everyone is pretty cool, but still...

I think it would be cool to have an event or something for Clyde riders, or even other outdoor athletes. Maybe a race or fun ride(s). I definitely agree with Tigris about sub-categories. If there was a Clyde only race with either age categories, or heftiness rankings or both, I would be more inclined to do a ride or a race, instead of racing against a 6'4 201 lb guy with washboard abs in the Clydesdale race category. I would also love to do an event with a Clyde tri that involved riding and a pie eating contest or something!

Anyways, please keep the feedback coming, I'd like to come up with some kind of Clyde-related hobby project. Maybe a gear review You Tube Channel or something would be a good start.

There are probably enough of us spread out there that are more than dabblers in the sport that could use better resources, products, events, or social networks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The biggest benefit to "the Clyde market" is with frame fitment. I am amazed how manufactures can use the same rear triangle on a xs and xxl frame. Or how a XL and XXL have the same front center and just change head tube/seat tube angles to get the longer top tube length. I've even seen where changing the bottom bracket height to effect reach was the only difference between a "M" and a "L".
    It's clear that not much effort is being put into frame fitment for Clydes from the manufactures. I've been told "XXL is a small piece of the pie of sales so why put much effort into it"
    In reality I believe with properly fitting bikes more Clydes would stay in the sport after dipping their toes in it.

AZ
    banned
    My vote is what it really needs is fewer Clyde's. Training and nutrition follow as second choice.

Large and In Charge
    Thanks for the feedback, y'all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

This is a problem in all outdoor sports equipment

Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    My vote is what it really needs is fewer Clyde's. Training and nutrition follow as second choice.
    I think he is partly on the right track.

In my experience I have been between an xl and a xxl most of my life. Yes I am fat, yes I am working on loosing weight. but I am under no delusions that I will ever be able to fit int a L tee shirt (haven't since I was 11) I will always need to find xlt dress shirts my arms are just too damn long). My weight loss goal is size 36 pants (seems like a much more logical destination that some #, but I won't stop once I hit that number)

Finding a jacket that has room for my shoulders and/or sleeves that fit has been a life long challenge.

I have to buy shoes wide enough for my fees length isn't my issue.

I am and always will be a stout guy.

and I LOVE BEING OUTSIDE!

This is where the catch 22 lies, Most people who go outside are average or smaller, and If you are a big person you are just less likely to dick about in the great outdoors. If you are a big person docking about doors you will eventually slim down and fit in like everyone else. For the most part that is true.

However it isn't completely attainable for many of us.
    We North Americans are both blessed with and cursed by our vast great outdoors. What I mean is since Eisenhower cities became bloated and sprawled (just like its inhabitants). Commutes increased from 10m on foot to 10m by car then to 30m by car. Which means the 8hr work day has become an in defacto 9hr day when travel is factored. After that who has time or the drive to eat right, cook healthy, or go out and do stuff.

I also see tons of clydes, riding big box bikes, Who wouldn't know what mtb pants looked like if they were wearing them

But yeah Frames, wheels and clothing that are made for mega people. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BIGGER HELMETS!
    Last edited by Clyde on Wheels; 12-19-2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: new small thought

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    do what i do, walk into the shop in clyde sized spandex lol. bugger the others. I might weigh between 125 and 130 kg and be a little tubby, but as long as i am able to ride i don't really care.
    my bugbear is farking clothing. so far the only companies that do my size clothing 3-4xl are all in the states. so i have to purchase online. lo and behold i go into an lbs and look. largest most times is 2xl. or a 3xl for munchkins. kinda sux that way