mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Please help to find a mtb manufacturer for my size ( 6,10 height )

Hello everybody,

i am italian, i am just registered, congratulation for the community it is nice!!

I hope to find help from expert as this community.

I am 6.10 tall , i ride from 2000, i am 39 years old, i bought a bike the sold me as custom fit but it is not, in any case i enjoyed a lot , no after almost 10 years i love mtb and i would like to buy a better xc mtb custom fit or bigger, i think 25"/26" frame or a 29ers with big frame.

Can you advice and help, it is my dream to have a full suspension or hard rail big bike for my ride.

I surfed the net in search of something but who more than you can help me !!

thanks everybody for the help...and sorry for my bad english!!

Paolo

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Here's at least one builder that specializes in custom bikes (MTB and Road) for Tall guys:

http://www.zinncycles.com/

No affiliation or experience with their bikes.

Good luck.

mtbr member

Im also 6'10"

Zinn is a good place to start. He has allot of experience with tall riders. The negative side is his prices are very expensive. Most good builders can build you a custom bike if you send them your measurements and some pictures on your current bike. I ordered a bike from Curtlo Cycles. I should be getting it this week or next week after a 9 month wait. I will let you know how it ends up. Another very good builder is Ventana at ventanausa.com, they can modify almost any bike to fit you. You might also want custom cranks since your stride is much longer then average. The bike I am having Curtlo build also will have custom cranks. I am excited to see if they make a difference. Let me know if I can help. Its not easy finding stuff to fit when you are 6'10". Trust me I know.
    Live Large

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    +1 on Ventana and customizing.

Get a 29er for sure.

I'm 6'6" and I got a custom XL 29er and they have a size bigger, the XXL.

You might check out the Turner Sultan. It used to come in a XXXL, but by their own accord and rating, doesn't seem to be all mountain.

Personally, I didn't like it when I test rode last year's model. Too light and not able to keep a line. Didn't feel sturdy enough for me.

You might want to go to a bike store and get a custom fitting.
    Get all your measurements and body requirements and then go shopping for a bike with them in mind.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thanks everybody for the comprension and for the help.

you are right on Zinn bikes, they looks wellmade but too expansive ( 2400$ for a frame )
    i was watching Curtlo too, i wrote a mail a week ago but no answer.....i can immagine what means waiting for 9 months!!

I am still considering this manufacturer, it has cheaper price and i think steel frame are better for my weight, even if i am skinny almost 7 feet are alot.

I checked for ventana but i think they did not make custom frame, i like el rey it is 25" frame for 29er, i am italian and here i have not a place where i can check if it enough for my size. It could be ok but we are at the border. I wrote to them too but no answer.

The Turner you proposed looks beautiful and expensive but on catalog i did not found xxxl i found only xxl, can you tell me where dii you find it? Do they build custom frame?

It is tough to choose, expecialy not beeing there in USA, You guys are lucky because you can choose what you want. I though for a 3500$ budget for a complete bike but not a compromise bike.

I can buy also only the frame in Us and here in Italy buy the others parts.

Thanks again everybody and to all community for sharing my "proble".
    I am here for listen your advice.

Bye

paolo

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    get a fitting.

Ventana and I bet Turner will customize for an upcharge.
    Just gotta ask Sherman or Dave.
    I adjusted quite a bit on my El Cap. Top Tube, beefier chainstays, seat tube, xbar, etc., etc. I worked with my LBS on the customizations and build. They do internet orders/builds as well.
    www.hammerheadbikes.com

I'd steer away from the El Rey if you're a bigger guy on a bigger frame. Too flexy.
    Get the "X" bar on the El Rey.

Get a fitting so you have your measurements and then it won't matter as much.
    You'll know you need XX worth of this and XX worth of that for a "proper" fit.

Will make shopping MUCH easier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks eokerholm

i will contact Ventana and Turner again.

You are right, probably el rey for my size is too flexy , even if i am skinny i am 220 pounds.

bye

paolo

mtbr member

Replies

Don't get frustrated if you do not get replies quickly to your e-mails. Ventana was one of quickest to respond and it took a week or two. For Curtlo it can take a little longer.
    good luck
    Live Large

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Check out the Cannondale 29er. I know you can chase down those in Italy. I have seen them there. A large or XL frame should work just fine.

turtles make me hot
    I'm 6'4". When I bought my XL Stumpjumper 29er last year, I was so used to everything being small that I asked for an XXL. Two shops told me I need an XL. I bought the XL and it fits me perfectly. You may want to look at the Specialized XXL 29ers.
    I like turtles

Underskilled
    I am 6'7 and found a Niner RIP9 xl to feel a little big.
    The WFO feels bigger but more right.

The inch size of the frame means very little, it is a semi-obsolete measurment of the seat tube, usefull only for standover height.

My dad has a 22" Claud butler and it feels TINY compared to the 20.5" niner.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eokerholm
    get a fitting.

Ventana and I bet Turner will customize for an upcharge.
    Just gotta ask Sherman or Dave.
    I'd steer away from the El Rey if you're a bigger guy on a bigger frame. Too flexy.
    Get the "X" bar on the El Rey.
    1. Sherwood, not sherman, is the owner of Ventana.
    2. Last I heard, Turner stopped doing one-offs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have been on the custom path myself 6'7" 320. Sherwood at Ventana is a really cool guy, and will take the time to get it right. I also finally got hold of Doug at Cutlo, he is a busy guy it seems. He was very helpful as well. He has his own fit parameters, so don't waist your time getting fitted until you know what he is looking for. He told me 3 to 4 months to get a custom steel frame about a week ago. It seems to me, talking to both sides (steel vs. Aluminum), the steel appears will last a great deal longer. Sherwood told me that if I wanted a lifetime bike to get steel. If you want a light bike you will likely have to replace or repair after a few years go with aluminum. This was of course based on my size. This is coming from that builders mouth, not mine. O yea, take a look at www.waltworks.com also. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks everybody for great help.

At the end i am 90% directed to ventana el captain.

As i told you before i wrote them to have extra more info but they never repied.

Where do you advice to buy it. I need an e-shop because i am in Italy.
    Advice me a good shop with better price which sell on line and expecially serious person which whom i can talk andeal also for the other part of the bike ( fork, whell ecc.)
    i searched on google and it hard to choose because among a shop to another there sometimes 300$ difference selling the same product.

Eventually do you think i can buy it directly at ventana factory?
    But i do not think they seels also parts, so i have to order them in another shop. Which?

In Usa you are lucky, you can choose beetwen the best shop and all the life is easiest. Immagine how difficult can be for a tall skinny guy searching for his bike.

We are absolutlu not in te third world, we produce campagnolo, pinarello, bianchi, but for tall doo we are in the third wold.

Waiting your advice......thanks again:-)

paolo

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks motocross93

do you have a direct contact ( mail or phone ) to mr sherwood?

bye

paolo

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I would suggest

http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com/

Larry has very good prices, and can help recommend parts. Give him a call.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by superarro
    Thanks everybody for great help.

At the end i am 90% directed to ventana el captain.

As i told you before i wrote them to have extra more info but they never repied.

Where do you advice to buy it. I need an e-shop because i am in Italy.
    Advice me a good shop with better price which sell on line and expecially serious person which whom i can talk andeal also for the other part of the bike ( fork, whell ecc.)
    i searched on google and it hard to choose because among a shop to another there sometimes 300$ difference selling the same product.

Eventually do you think i can buy it directly at ventana factory?
    But i do not think they seels also parts, so i have to order them in another shop. Which?

In Usa you are lucky, you can choose beetwen the best shop and all the life is easiest. Immagine how difficult can be for a tall skinny guy searching for his bike.

We are absolutlu not in te third world, we produce campagnolo, pinarello, bianchi, but for tall doo we are in the third wold.

Waiting your advice......thanks again:-)

paolo