Klydesdale
    Feb 2005

Pinchflats on UST tires?

Have any of you Clydes experienced significant problems with pinchflats on UST tires? I've been running a UST wheelset for about a year now and in that time I've pinchflatted three different 2.0 UST Pythons (the heavier casing silver stripe versions). That's about as many pinchflats as I would get with tubes in a year. The UST pinchflat cuts occur in the tire right next to the bead where the tire bulges over the edge of the rim. This makes the tire VERY difficult to repair reliably. I have one practically new tire that's basically trash because the cut that occured is so big. I'm wondering if this is common problem for heavier riders (I'm about 245 lbs right now) or if maybe a different/larger volume UST tire might mitigate the problem.

The kicker is that I'm not running all that much lower pressure with the UST tires that I normally do with tubes - about 40-45 psi.

Probably drunk right now

Run higher volume tires....

Quote Originally Posted by klydesdale
    Have any of you Clydes experienced significant problems with pinchflats on UST tires? I've been running a UST wheelset for about a year now and in that time I've pinchflatted three different 2.0 UST Pythons (the heavier casing silver stripe versions). That's about as many pinchflats as I would get with tubes in a year. The UST pinchflat cuts occur in the tire right next to the bead where the tire bulges over the edge of the rim. This makes the tire VERY difficult to repair reliably. I have one practically new tire that's basically trash because the cut that occured is so big. I'm wondering if this is common problem for heavier riders (I'm about 245 lbs right now) or if maybe a different/larger volume UST tire might mitigate the problem.

The kicker is that I'm not running all that much lower pressure with the UST tires that I normally do with tubes - about 40-45 psi.
    If you run higher volume tires, you're less likely to pinch flat, regardless of tubed or tubeless. Go to a 2.4 and be done with pinch flatting.

mtbr member
    Ken has a point, the more volume the less prone to pinchflats.

But since I went UST I haven't had any pinchflats and I run 30f/40r psi (I'm 200#) on my wheels and while I rode tubes I'll have pinchflats on every ride even if using 2.4 Mutanos.

Have this happened to you with another brand? I used Phytons for a while and changed because the Phytons casing was weak IMO, since then I moved to Michelin and Maxxis.

Probably drunk right now

If I wear a hat, it covers it up....

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Ken has a point, the more volume the less prone to pinchflats.

But since I went UST I haven't had any pinchflats and I run 30f/40r psi (I'm 200#) on my wheels and while I rode tubes I'll have pinchflats on every ride even if using 2.4 Mutanos.

Have this happened to you with another brand? I used Phytons for a while and changed because the Phytons casing was weak IMO, since then I moved to Michelin and Maxxis.
    The point, that is. What volume tires are you running now? And do you still have the Mutanos? I know where you could get rid of them without that cumbersome disposal fee that most places want to charge you. Just bring them to KC. Speaking of which, any chance at all that you'll be back here this year?

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I've pinched flat less with UST. I went to Pep Boys and bought a auto tire patch kit. Worked pretty well for smaller tears, say a 1/2 inch or less. For larger tears you can sew the patch onto the casing, closing the edges of the tear, although I've never done this. I love the Pythons but they were a little fragile if I just ran them in rocks. I had problems with weak sidewalls with the 1st generation Mich XLS, now know as the Mud. I'm using Stans in tubes now because I ride a 29er and so far so good, but I don't ride in a lot of rocks. First poverty, now time constraints have pushed me to heavier duty equipment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    The point, that is. What volume tires are you running now? And do you still have the Mutanos? I know where you could get rid of them without that cumbersome disposal fee that most places want to charge you. Just bring them to KC. Speaking of which, any chance at all that you'll be back here this year?
    I'm running 2.0's on the singlespeed and 1.9's on the geared. I put 30f/40r psi on them and have never had a pinch flat with anything other than Pythons.

The company that had the site in KC sold the site that I work for, there's no chance to go on a business trip unfortunatelly. Maybe if I get lucky and save some money I could could try a low budget trip but that's very squetchy.

Do you have something to trade the Mutano 2.4's for? Just kidding, if you want them they're yours.

Email me your address, you should have it.

Glad to Be Alive
    check your rims for some spurs
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    check your rims for some spurs
    Thanks for the tip but that set is long gone, my neighboor is using it with Raptors 2.1 without problems.

29 some of the time...
    Haven't had a pinch flat, but I did have a simillar tear at the bead seat on a hutchinson spider 2.3 ust. I think it has something to do with how they bond the tire casing to the bead. Tire still had plenty of tread left on it when I tossed it in the garbage.

As others have suggested, bigger is better in terms of volume for tires under a clyde. Depending on your rim you may be limited to how big you can run. Most XC rims drop off at 2.3 or under. Thicker casing tires are also a blessing. Check out the specialized ust tires. All of them have a thick side casing. Not light, but very durable. I have about a year on enduro 2.4 2bliss and about 4 months on adrenaline 2.0 2bliss. Hutchinson held out for about a month before kicking the can.

I am a few pounds your junior, but still tough on tires. If you are hitting stuff hard enough to pinch flat your ust tire then you need to either run more pressure or go to a burlier tire. Not really any other solutions.

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    If you run higher volume tires, you're less likely to pinch flat, regardless of tubed or tubeless. Go to a 2.4 and be done with pinch flatting.
    Prior to building up the UST wheels, I ran 2.4 Mutanoraptors almost exclusively for a few years. I regularly experienced pinch-flats on those tires when run with tubes but never had one after I converted them to a Stan's tubeless setup. That's what convinced me to go with UST rims when it came time for new wheels. By my measurements of the two tires mounted up on similar rims at the same pressure, my Python UST 2.0 tires aren't significantly smaller than my Mutanoraptor 2.4s. There's only about I mm of difference in width between the two so I don't see the volume as being a significant factor here.

At my favorite LBS today, I was able to compare the Pythons to a few other UST tires. The Python's casing was definitely thinner than the other tires in the area just above the bead where the pinch cuts occurred on mine. I'm going to try another brand of tire and see what happens. It's too bad WTB doesn't make the Mutanoraptor 2.4 in a UST version.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I run the Maxxis High Roller 2.35 UST on a Cannondale Prophet. I currently weigh 240 lbs and run the air pressure at 45 psi. I 've never had a problem with pinch flats. Note: These tires have alot of grip but the trade off is their high rolling resistance ( which is why I run a higher air pressure ) and heavy weight.