mtbr member
    May 2012

Picked up a road bike

Found a 2000 model 61cm Fuji Roubaix for $100, figured what the hell. Got it down the the frame now except the cranks (waiting on tool kit with the pullers for the cranks and cassette). Shimano 105 components still look serviceable just needs to be cleaned, lubed, tuned and trued. Wheel set is the 105 hubs and some 32 spoke mavics. Got some 700x28 tires, and new grip tape coming.

Thinking of throwing some bullhorns with end bar shifters on it, maybe a coat of paint.

Picked up a road bike-fuji.jpg

mtbr member
    Steal at $100. Should do well for you.

mtbr member
    Very nice! I've been doing a lot of road riding this year and having a blast doing it. It does take a little while to get the bike dialed in but once you do it's a lot of fun
    He who dares....wins!

AZ
    banned
    Nice! You might think about keeping the drop bars, aero bars aren't all that practical and most group rides ban them.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ya keep the STI and stock bars... the bullhorn bars are supposed to mimic drop bars tops and into the hoods... if you can get the bars high enough that the drops can be road in comfortably for a bit then you've got things about right...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah I'm gonna give the drops a try for a bit. The bullhorns just look more comfortable for around town and climbing hills, but then I've never ridden a road bike.

Figure this would be a good one to experiment with too to figure out what to look for if I decide to get a higher end road bike one day, and I can learn to do all the tuning and wheel truing and stuff on something cheap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I just got my first road bike back in March (also used). I'm liking it much more than I thought I would. I put more than 600 miles on it already, and I'm in much better shape than I was at this point in the season last year.

It will definitely help your MTB riding. A road bike requires more constant spinning, instead of the pedal-and-coast style that you use on trails. It's good for your legs and lungs (and waist). When you can do a long climb on a road bike with big gears, a long uphill grind on a low-geared MTB seems like a breeze.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double