Clydeosaur

Picked up my d440 yesterday!

And I'm pretty excited!

Bike feels great. I only rode it a couple of miles last night as it was getting dark by the time I got home. I like the all black look better than I thought. Can't wait to get it dirty.

It's a bit of a switch going from an upright seating position and I imagine it will take a couple of rides to get the arms/hands used to the new pressure points. I might start looking for some squishier grips and possibly different bars or bar ends to give me some additional hand positions.

Overall though nothing's jumping out at me yet to change. The saddle is actually pretty comfortable. I think I need to adjust it a bit as it rides a little high up front IMO but the rear portion feels fine.

The vulpines roll great (in my limited couple of miles) and and appear to handle nicely. I did throw some curves, corners, and playing around in in my testing. I'll see how they do in our local sandy south florida conditions after a few street & park rides.

The only thing I'm not really crazy about is the SRAM shifters. At heart I still prefer my old deore xt thumb shifters where I could switch between index & friction mode. I have yet to find shifters I like as well. I have spent time with grip shifters and shimano wishbone shifters. The SRAM shifters throw me off a bit since the up/down shifts are both thumb operated. I find my index finger keeps reaching for a shift lever. Also the thumb movement between the two feels awkward to me. Not enough space to move my thumb straight to the forward button. I feel I have to go under the first button to get to the forward button.

Still, I imagine I'll get used to it in time. But I am eyeing my thumb shifters on my old paramount...I just hate to take my first favorite bike apart. It just wouldn't feel right.

But other than weird shifting the bike is solid, comfortable and seems to handle pretty well.

Here she is:

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Dork Disk!

Clydeosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by DKeeney
    Dork Disk!
    And reflectors too!

But since I'll be doing a fair bit of street riding, and I since I live in South Florida where we might just have the melting pot of the world's worst drivers, I'll probably just leave everything on until it gets upgraded or bashed off. Which usually happens on my bikes.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Looks good... great choice!

Optimum Value
    I recommend these as your grips of choice to help your hands:

http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/grips/index.html

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Here's a decent thread related to the Ergon's with a few pics than may be helpful:

Who Is Using Bar Ends
    Who Is Using Bar Ends

I ride a rigid and I'm still on the fence about the Ergons or going with the Cane Creek bar ends combined with Cane Creek or Oury grips.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have the Ergon's on my bike and I love them. Gives you some extra hand positions for the long rides

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by super_fly
    And I'm pretty excited!

Bike feels great. I only rode it a couple of miles last night as it was getting dark by the time I got home. I like the all black look better than I thought. Can't wait to get it dirty.

It's a bit of a switch going from an upright seating position and I imagine it will take a couple of rides to get the arms/hands used to the new pressure points. I might start looking for some squishier grips and possibly different bars or bar ends to give me some additional hand positions.

Overall though nothing's jumping out at me yet to change. The saddle is actually pretty comfortable. I think I need to adjust it a bit as it rides a little high up front IMO but the rear portion feels fine.

The vulpines roll great (in my limited couple of miles) and and appear to handle nicely. I did throw some curves, corners, and playing around in in my testing. I'll see how they do in our local sandy south florida conditions after a few street & park rides.

The only thing I'm not really crazy about is the SRAM shifters. At heart I still prefer my old deore xt thumb shifters where I could switch between index & friction mode. I have yet to find shifters I like as well. I have spent time with grip shifters and shimano wishbone shifters. The SRAM shifters throw me off a bit since the up/down shifts are both thumb operated. I find my index finger keeps reaching for a shift lever. Also the thumb movement between the two feels awkward to me. Not enough space to move my thumb straight to the forward button. I feel I have to go under the first button to get to the forward button.

Still, I imagine I'll get used to it in time. But I am eyeing my thumb shifters on my old paramount...I just hate to take my first favorite bike apart. It just wouldn't feel right.

But other than weird shifting the bike is solid, comfortable and seems to handle pretty well.

Here she is:

Nice bike, congrats!! I am thinking in getting the same one. What size is yours? About how much does it weight?

Clydeosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by cooljavy
    Nice bike, congrats!! I am thinking in getting the same one. What size is yours? About how much does it weight?
    Thanks!

I have the medium frame (17"). Originally ordered the large but it was too big. This one feels pretty good overall although I think it's on the large end of my comfort level.

Not sure about weight but it doesn't seem unreasonable.

I have a pair of ergon's coming in, ordered them on the last day of the REI sale. I ordered larges but I've read that smalls are popular. Oh wel, we'll see how it goes.

I'm getting the bike dialed in a bit, some seat and saddle adjustments helped the comfort. I think I might need a shorter stem and possibly some bars with more rise. Going by the shop this afternoon to get their opinions.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    welcome to the club
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Clydeosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    welcome to the club
    Thanks!

So I went from "wow this feels great!" to "OMG this is painful where's my old bike?" to "Ah, this is starting to feel right".

Getting the bike (and me) dialed in better. I have a little 3 mi loop I do almost-daily. It's not a lot but it's something and time is a precious commodity for me. I made it about half way with the new bike due to pain in: hands; wrists; and "the boys".

I played around with the seat post & saddle positions and now I'm feeling better. Still have some hand discomfort but overall feeling much better. I haven't done the street loop though but I did spend an hour or so chasing my girls on their big wheels & scooters.

I have ergon grips on order and my LBS is bringing in a stem with a higher rise to try out. I'm also interested in mary or origin8 space bars but will probably wait until the origin 8 "off road" space bar is out. Plus I don't like changing too many things at once (habit from dealing with computers).

Also, I noticed that the bike is pretty comfortable when I'm playing around - while chasing my daughters i ran over every patch of grass, uneven terrain, curb lip, tree root, jumpable object and sand patch I could find. The bike felt pretty good.

I think it just hates being ridden on a boring street ride. If the rain holds off and I can get out of work tonight I might have to go find a dirt trail!