My Brain Hurts!

Phantom Shifting/component issue?

Hey. I am going through some nonsense with my bike. Every time I take it out I have to re-adjust the rear derailleur on my bike. It tends to want to shift whenever the heck it feels like it unless we take a few minutes and re adjust it. Also, one of the regular crew is a tech in the bike shop so it is not some issue of me being a baboon with a wrench in my pocket.

The bike is a 2010 Rincon and here is a component list -

shifters - Shimano EF50
    front derailleur - Shimano M310
    rear derailleur - Shimano Alivio
    brakes - Tektro I.O. Disc
    brake levers - Shimano EF-50
    cassette - SRAM PG 820 11/32, 8-speed
    chain - KMC Z72
    cranks - SR XCT, 22/32/42
    bb - SR Cartridge

I am wondering if the rear derailleur is the issue here. Again I am a big guy, 5'11" and right now a shade under 280 pounds. But I am a big muscular guy with a spare tire, not a dough boy. I bring a lot to the party and can also press 500 pounds with my legs.

Now I used to have a Trance X2 and a Rainier before that. Neither bike gave me an ounce of trouble, and I weighed more then too! Is the phantom shifting due to the components, or am I just totally brain farting when it comes to the issue?

And if it is the components, please recommend any logical upgrades.
    Last edited by ProfGumby; 11-20-2011 at 07:23 PM.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Get a xtr groupo should solve it.

No it's probably a Bent derailleur hanger

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Federline View Post
    Get a xtr groupo should solve it.

No it's probably a Bent derailleur hanger
    I had the local shop check that and readjust the rear again after Wednesdays ride. The hanger is not bent. XTR, huh? Got a model # you suggest? I have to also change the rear cassette as the current is an 8 speed and all I can see the XTR's in is 9 and 10 speed. Not a big deal for me at all though. One more gear...

If I make a change I will definitely change the cassette, the rear derailleur, the shifter and maybe the front derailleur and it's shifter.

Also, I figured the Alivio is not a premium level....especially on a Rincon.

Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by ProfGumby; 11-20-2011 at 07:29 PM.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just kiddin bout the xtr groupset. It's Probably overkill and is super pricey. Look at a 2010 slx groupset. Without brakes, it will take you to 9 speed.

If you want to stay 8 look at your chain and cassette, it's probably worn and skipping. The lower level derail. are heavy and almost never fail, but it would be nice to upgrade!

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Federline View Post
    Just kiddin bout the xtr groupset. It's Probably overkill and is super pricey. Look at a 2010 slx groupset. Without brakes, it will take you to 9 speed.

If you want to stay 8 look at your chain and cassette, it's probably worn and skipping. The lower level derail. are heavy and almost never fail, but it would be nice to upgrade!
    I figured you coming out of the blocks with a rec of a 2,000 dollar plus group set was tongue in cheek...even if it would be super nice...And this bike only has about 70 miles on it, though I will look at the chain and cassette, I think it may be a wee bit early for any real wear...

The SLX stuff looks really nice too...

mtbr member
    Only 70 miles? Try tightening up your cables. If that doesn't work go for a slx shadow rear derailleur. Mine's running with 8spd and have had no problems since I built the bike over a year ago. I used to have the Alivio on my old bike and if the cable tension wasn't just right, it would act up.

MTB B'dos
    If the bike is new and you hard shift it a lot then you're probably stretching the cables a bit every ride and if you leave it sitting with tension on the cables it will continue to stretch while just sitting there. New cables tend to stretch and need adjusting/tightening for a bit and 70 miles is not a lot of riding for them to have totally stretched in, most shops will tell you to bring the bike back in after a couple weeks for some adjustments. BTW, just 'cause the guy is a mech at a shop, doesn't mean he knows WTF he's doing
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

My Brain Hurts!
    Again, thanks for all the info. I will look at the cable tension as well. It does seem a bit on the loose side to me.

I wonder why both techs from the bike shop have not addressed the cable tension...

I'm Slow
    I don't think you understand cable tension correctly, its more of an issue with cable stretch. New cables take a few weeks until they stop stretching. Even then they stretch slowly. What he is saying is the you need to make sure your tension is set correctly for the fist couple of weeks (i.e. the derailleur is in the right spot). Maybe even check before each ride if this is a big issue.

Also If it shifts great in the smaller diameter gears, but shifts poorly in the large diameter gears, then your hanger is probably bent (easy fix)
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrb02 View Post
    I don't think you understand cable tension correctly, its more of an issue with cable stretch. New cables take a few weeks until they stop stretching. Even then they stretch slowly. What he is saying is the you need to make sure your tension is set correctly for the fist couple of weeks (i.e. the derailleur is in the right spot). Maybe even check before each ride if this is a big issue.

Also If it shifts great in the smaller diameter gears, but shifts poorly in the large diameter gears, then your hanger is probably bent (easy fix)
    Got it. I will have the bike adjusted again....and I had the hanger checked already last week...the reason I was asking is this is the 3rd mountain bike I have owned and the only one where this has been a persistent issue. It is also the cheapest rear derailleur of the 3...I still may upgrade for the "because" factor...

I'm Slow
    Any reason is a good reason upgrade
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrb02 View Post

To clarify, it's generally not as much cable stretch as it is the ferrules fully seating on the housing, thus effectively lengthening the cables and slackening the tension.

Have you checked for excessive chain wear? How many miles are on the bike? Alivio isnt great but can be tuned to be alright.

Is the bike tending to ghost shift to bigger cogs (lower gears) or smaller cogs (higher gears)? Is it happening when you're out of the saddle and cranking, possible flexing the stays enough to cause the shifting?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm a fan of Occam's razor - the simplest, easiest answer is usually correct.

I'm guessing cables. Either still stretching as mentioned earlier, or poorly routed and not secured so there is some movement in the housing/cable, or possibly just crappy cables. Make sure the housings are secure. Make sure the cables move smoothly, and give it a few more rides before giving up on it. Me, I'd change cables before buying new parts - unless you just want better stuff. Then go for broke and get new parts.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

My Brain Hurts!
    I will change cables and housings if/when I change the components...from scratch is always a good place to start. I bought the bike with the thought that if the components were not up to my liking they would go bye bye. But I am not looking to upgrade for upgrades sake.

If the components come into line and work as they should then they can stay. if not...into the dumper with them.

Again I have also owned a Trance 2 and a Rainier. Same guy, same riding habits, no problems. But on the Rincon.....

My Brain Hurts!
    Just an update. I have the bike dialed in now and the last 3 rides there have been zero shifting issues. I had the LBS look at the tension of the shift cable and re check that the hanger was not bent, and make sure the derailleur arm (or any other parts) were not bent too.
    I am going to leave well enough alone but will eventually move up to Deore components...just not right now.