mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Pedal Strike and my Jamis XAM1- Help with setting it up?

Hey guys, new clyde coming back to the sport. Rode mountain when i was in high school and some college but was around the 170-200 mark then Got a GREAT deal on a 2008 Jamis XAM1 ($900) and am giving it the ride around the neighborhood test before taking it on the trail this weekend.

I'm 6'1, 240 and am riding on teh 19" frame. The frame fits great for me, no complaints. I'm running the f/r wheels with 35 psi (which i think is ok for me) but i'm noticing pretty bad pedal strike on moderate corners which is making me question the setup.

I don't have the fork or rear shock dialed in, because frankly i'm not sure HOW. Not even sure what i should be increasing or decreasing if that makes any sense. The only reference to biking that i'm coming from is an old hard tail rockjumper from the mid '90s. So yea, new age newb here

Anyone in my size range that could give me some pointers on what/how to adjust? I know looking down at my DHX shock, it's not bottoming out. It's maybe 2/3 compressed under load, but it's not bottoming out thankfully.

Making fat cool since '71
    Some bikes "suffer" from pedal strikes as it were. Probably not your set-up, but could be. My first Turner liked to cause me to strike rocks more often than previous bikes, but my current one, not so much. Truthfully, most of it is rider habits/error.

Keep rocking it, you'll get it dialed. What is your sag at when static (not moving, just sitting on the bike in a riding like position)? FWIW (and this varies wildly depending on who's talking), sag is "usually" set at 25-30% for XC.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am 6'6" and 250lb and ride the 07 version of the XAM 1.0 in 19". I do notice pedal strike a fair bit and I have my sag set to about 25-30%. I think the BB on this bike is a tad lower than others. Comparing it to my mates Giant Reign, the XAM BB is a bit lower with the same sag.

It's not a big deal, you get used to cornering with the pedals in the neutral position. I hit my pedals about once a ride, but it's no biggie.