Thread: Pedal advice

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Pedal advice

I am not sure if this will be the right place to post my question; but here it goes...
    long story short...

I am 6'5 270, I picked up a new roadie old school giant with cage pedals recently....

I currently commute to work on a Giant Yukon with candies and some 51 Sidi's
    I don't want to spend extra cash on a new pair of road shoes can anyone recommend some CB pedals that will do well with the roadie I was think going with Candie or Smarties... do I need different cleats to use the Quattros?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

The CB pedals...

use the same cleats. The difference between the cleats that come with the Candies and the cleats that come with the Quattros is the accessories, i.e. the Qs come with what CB calls a pontoon. This is a bit of composite that surrounds the cleat and that the cleat holds in position. The cleat sits in a channel in the pontoon that surounds the cleat similarly to the way the tread on an MTB shoe would. It gives you a reference as you clip in and protects the hard plastic or composite sole of the shoe at the same time. It wouldn't be necessary if using an mtb shoe.

Anyway, I'd recommend using the Candies on you road bike. You're used to them and you know there are no shoe comptability issues with them. I've got a set of Shimano 540s on the MTB and on the road bike for the same reasons that you do. It's cheaper to go with the same pedal on both and one set of shoes, and I want to be able to walk on the shoes if I decide to stop at the store on the way home or whatever. MTB shoes are much more "floor friendly" than road shoes. The only problem that you might have is the grief that any roadie friends might hand out for using "mtb" pedals on a road bike.

Just a side note: I am experimenting with a set of Candy SLs currently on the commuter. If I like them well enough I may switch the rest of the bikes over to them. So far so good.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Awesome; squash thanks for the response...

I think I may even have an extra set of candies in the house...