Thread: Pedal ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Pedal ?

Hi all, new here and I need a little guidance with a new bike. The short story is I'm trying to get back into shape and my old Trek was not helping matters. I went out and picked up Fisher HiFi Plus and absolutely love it, except for one thing. I replaced the pedals that came with it, because I have never used clip on's and am not sure I want to, with something the LBS had. Don't remember the exact name but they are all metal and look more like BMX pedals than MB. Here's the deal, I find my pedals hitting ground a lot while pedaling, especially up hills. Now I know that with my weight I'm riding lower on the suspension, but it just doesn't seem right.

Will a different pedal help or do I need to look into a shorter crank?

Thanks for any insight!!

Making fat cool since '71
    In my experience much of the deal with pedal strikes (hitting the ground/rocks) has to do with how we ride more than the bike/crank. It's pretty easy to hit the ground/rocks when we crank, crank, crank and do not plan ahead/pay attention to what is in the trail, around our bike, which way we are leaning etc.

Shorter cranks? Are you under 5'8" tall? I would imagine your stock bike came with the typical 175mm cranks. I ride 180mm cranks and I'm only 6'3". I have friends riding 190mm that are my height or around it and don't hit pedals much. We all hit them though at times.

I don't know of any "super thin" pedals which would help you not hit. Easton used to make a version of their Flatboy which was narrower which could help side slaps and such but not bottoming stuff. If you are squashed into your suspension more than 30% (which is a bit more than "typical" xc set-up) then you may have to do some playing with the shock, etc to get things correct. Even then you shouldn't be hitting pedals a lot if you are cognizant of pedal placement while riding.

I don't know if any of that made any sense. I used to ride a bike that had a pretty low bottom bracket even with the suspension set-up correctly and I *did* hit pedals more often, but even then most of it was me getting used to how that bike rode and me paying attention to foot placement on corners/in rocks.

Good luck.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

local trails rider
    I have more pedal strikes with my big flat pedals than with my small clipless pedals.

Sometimes you need to time your pedal strokes so that you avoid the obstacles. In some tricky spots I even resort to "ratcheting": pedal forward about a quarter of the full rotation, pull back, go forward again.