Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009

Pain, tingling, numbness in hands & fingers, a clyde side-effect?

I ride a 2008 Haro Escape with standard hand grips, but I had the foamy hand grips on an old diamondback outlook too. I seem to have a problem with hand and wrist pain.

I use the XL Harbringer weight lifting gloves for better grip, they have leather palms and a perfectly molding flexible outer mesh.. in the stores the gloves I see are like spandex, thin and full of stitched on rubber and pleather that I cant feel gripping anything, at least not while new I guess.

About 1 hour into riding I start getting tingling, 1.5 hours into the ride I start getting numbness.. and about 2.5 hours in I start getting real pain in the wrist. I ride my Haro in the proper position, seat high, and leaning way forward.. while the Outlook I rode almost like a comfort bike. I got pain in both cases, but on the Outlook it took longer. The more horizontal I get, the more the pain is pronounced it seems.

Does anyone have any suggestions / solutions / tricks? .. I have not tried riding gloveless, or switching hand grips.. which actually feel slightly thin, and I often end up with my thumb not curving under, but instead straight and I'm giving like sideways thumbs up while riding... odd, right?

Anyone out there with same problem? I'm a 6'2" (formerly 320, now 304 lb since I began riding again) Clyde. Could this simply be because I'm big?
    Last edited by The Red; 05-19-2009 at 08:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Bike fit and Ergon Grips.

Mix up hand positions a bit when you're riding.

Ergon Grips

Are your brakes and shifters lined up to minimize the bend in your wrist?

Ergon Grips.
    Last edited by fireflock; 05-11-2009 at 07:55 PM.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflock
    Bike fit and Ergon Grips.

Mix up hand positions a bit when you're riding.

Ergon Grips

Are you're brakes and shifters lined up to minimize the bend in your wrist?

Ergon Grips.

Looking into the Ergon grips now.. I'm going to adjust the shifters like you're suggesting, to minimize the bend. Probably just means I have to put them further down.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Which Ergon models are you referring to? I'm seeing EL and GP and some others.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Any of the models with the wide platforms

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/grips/i...kika3hke300g37

GP1 is fine if you just want the grips. A model with the stubby bar ends will give you more hand positions to mix things up a bit.

They come in 2 sizes, so you might want to get your hands on a pair (in person, vs ordering sight unseen) if you can.

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/grips/grip_selector.html

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fireflock
    Any of the models with the wide platforms

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/grips/i...kika3hke300g37

GP1 is fine if you just want the grips. A model with the stubby bar ends will give you more hand positions to mix things up a bit.

They come in 2 sizes, so you might want to get your hands on a pair (in person, vs ordering sight unseen) if you can.

http://www.ergon-bike.com/us/grips/grip_selector.html
    I'm torn... I do a good bit of wavy, hilly, bumpy, long trail riding (not a lot of technical xc), and long paved trails along the creek here, with intense wind resistance up, and intense wind assistance on the way down. A fair amount of climbing, but less descents (by geography, not choice).

Do I go with GP1 or GC3 ?? this is killing me. I have short bar-ends on the bike thats too small for me that I used like an extension on the stem, allowing me to sit more forward, but the bike I have now I'm already in good riding position. And it feels like I'd over extend myself. But I do have that numbness and pain problem, so changing positions wholesale might be warranted, but for all I know the Ergon grip itself could solve the problem.

arg.. I'm over-thinking this.

Also, is there a difference between the GP1 and MP1 ? .. I cant seem to find one other than price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    This has to do with having too much weight on your hands for too long.

A couple of ideas:
    1) Move to a more upright riding position. This will decrease weight on your hands, and you said yourself hand pain was less of a problem on your older, more upright bike. You might talk to someone at a local shop about a shorter, more upright stem. You might just put your seat down a little.
    2) Increased core strength. For me, when my core is stronger, I don't need to put as much weight on my hands...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have had the same problem on a few different bikes. Here is what has worked for me.
    1. An adjustable height stem. Ritchey makes a good one.
    2. Riser bars.
    3. Platfom grips along with the matching molded bar ends.

Try to get more weight off of the bars and onto the seat, As you lose more weight you will have to continue shifting the weight around.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    I'm ordering the Gp1s.. It'll take about a week to get here.

My LBS suggested a stem change too, but they didnt have one that fit =/ .. I've especially never seen an adjustable one.

Riser bars, didnt even think about till you just said it. Should look into it.

Underskilled
    This is also the first sign of carpal tunnel, get the problem fixed now and as a top priority

Underskilled
    I mostly fixed it with ergon grips, i then totally fixed it with 750 suspension

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    This is also the first sign of carpal tunnel, get the problem fixed now and as a top priority
    You're scaring me dude! .. I use trackball mice for that reason.

I've only gotten back into riding these past 2.5 months, I'm not sure why my left hand would have it, but I did fight for 4 years (Seido Karate) maybe its catching up with me, like my 2003 ACL reconstruction.

I've been thinking of getting a brace for my knee while riding, it only feels slightly wobbly AFTER rides though, when I walk and suddenly stop, not during the ride.

mtbr member
    My hands used to go numb a heck of a lot more often than yours, about every mile I had to stop and shake it out. I tried the Ergo's, the women's and the men's, a bit of improvement, but not much. Those are to me, kinda of a hard surface to grab, and I think that had something to do with it. Then I got wise to the pressure on my hands thing, replaced the Ergo's with Giant's $5 thick foam cruiser grips, put on a BBB high rise short stem, and got a Bontrager "Big Sweep" bar, which angles back more than most and was 7 1/2 oz lighter than my stock Giant bar!

Now I only need to stop about every 3 miles. I am a bit more upright than most, but hey, now I can ride with a lot more comfort!

mtbr member
    Like the previous posts have mentioned bike fit is the first place to look but what has also helped me a lot is specializeds body fit gloves which take pressure off the ulnar nerve. They usually have a cheap and expensive version of the same glove, its worth paying the extra as the padding is a lot better. I really notice the diference if i use gloves without ulnar nerve padding.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/...e.jsp?eid=1366

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    I was told by my LBS that for off-road biking I need to stay away from adjustable stems.

My Ergon GP1s are almost here and I'm looking into what gloves to get to go with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Guess i had better add my .02c

I'm 52 years old around 6'5" and about 240 lb ... not all of it is fat

I had major pain numbness and tingling in the hands after only a few miles, tried Ergons without any other changes and it helped a little ... not but really

SO ... i got wider bars 730cm, a very short steeply angled stem , lowered the seat a little and might have even moved it forward a little ... not much and i took the Ergons off.

Much better my hands still tingle a little sometimes but a minutes rest sorts them out. I'm not planning to put the Ergons back on as i find the bar ends get in the way.

Next thing i want to try is softer grips ... I already have nicely padded gloves

Conclusion ... bike fit is the key

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the old fool
    Guess i had better add my .02c

I'm 52 years old around 6'5" and about 240 lb ... not all of it is fat

I had major pain numbness and tingling in the hands after only a few miles, tried Ergons without any other changes and it helped a little ... not but really

SO ... i got wider bars 730cm, a very short steeply angled stem , lowered the seat a little and might have even moved it forward a little ... not much and i took the Ergons off.

Much better my hands still tingle a little sometimes but a minutes rest sorts them out. I'm not planning to put the Ergons back on as i find the bar ends get in the way.

Next thing i want to try is softer grips ... I already have nicely padded gloves

Conclusion ... bike fit is the key
    You see, I agree with this a lot. My wrists bend outward as well as downward when I'm riding. I wanted to get a wider bar, a lot, but my current bar and my shoulders seem to be aligned inch-wise (24.75 in).. does it make sense to get the wider bar anyways?

I noticed your 73 cm (i presume that last 0 was a typo) is over 29in long. Does it hamper you in any way? .. and where can I get the right stem? my LBS didnt have the kind of threadless stem I needed, nor one that fit my handlebars themselves =/

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    730mm or 73cm yes they are big buggers but it lets me move around on the bike and also lets me breathe easier ...

I ride in forest mostly and i pays not to assume you will fit between the trees... sometimes ouch ... but other wise i see no disadvantages, sure give lots of control

My stem is a cheap one i think as it has no name on it ... just a little piece of aluminum

Bars are Tomac Tenacious-D

I'll look on the web tonight for a stem and let you know

Cherers, Brian

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Carple Tunnel release is the best fix if this persists after bike fit is complete.

I had my right hand done this spring the tingling and numbness is GONE. Left had had moderate and it still tingles and I will have that done next spring.

I would take the time to have a nerve test done if it is severe it will get worse and possibly bad enough where you will not be able to revearse it.

It is not that bad of surgery I was in for about 20 minutes outpatient surgery.

I will admit I thought the entire carple tunnel thing was a bunch of bull crap. But I am a real believer and it made a huge difference for me.

Being Clydesdale has little to do with it.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    730mm or 73cm yes they are big buggers but it lets me move around on the bike and also lets me breathe easier ...

I ride in forest mostly and i pays not to assume you will fit between the trees... sometimes ouch ... but other wise i see no disadvantages, sure give lots of control

My stem is a cheap one i think as it has no name on it ... just a little piece of aluminum

Bars are Tomac Tenacious-D

I'll look on the web tonight for a stem and let you know

Cherers, Brian
    Any help is deff appreciated. btw, I looked into getting those Tomac Tenacious-D bars, they sounded awesome, but they are no longer sold ... what do I do? ... I think wide bars would help me a lot.

My bike is a stock 2008 Haro Escape Sport.. I'll need a threadless stem, and I have *no* idea what I'm doing, BUT if I order through my LBS (who like me) they will install for free

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS
    Carple Tunnel release is the best fix if this persists after bike fit is complete.

I had my right hand done this spring the tingling and numbness is GONE. Left had had moderate and it still tingles and I will have that done next spring.

I would take the time to have a nerve test done if it is severe it will get worse and possibly bad enough where you will not be able to revearse it.

It is not that bad of surgery I was in for about 20 minutes outpatient surgery.

I will admit I thought the entire carple tunnel thing was a bunch of bull crap. But I am a real believer and it made a huge difference for me.

Being Clydesdale has little to do with it.
    It only happens on the bike, not even at my comp. I'm going to get a couple fixes in and a better bike fit, then see if pain persists, or particularly, if it persists *after* riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    gee wizz ... i had a look on the www and do you think i could find my junky little stem ...nope
    but it's about 50mm c/c and on a steep angle!

Anyway it might not be exactly what YOU need Ask a few local bike shops if they have a fit kit, sort of torture device that allows essential bike fit measurements to be taken

Tenacious -D .... No longer sold! damn i was lucky for once ...I have heard that carbon fiber bars can help with hand problems as they absorb some of the jarring from the trail. I would love to find out because they look so cool.

Another thing i did was replace the 2.1 on the front with a 2.4 as that soaks a little of the hurt up too.

My approach has not been all that scientific as you can see but it's working, sort of.

The cure i would really like to try is a full suspension 29er ... custom built just for me

Lucky dreams are still free
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/Han...84_123crx.aspx

These have excellent reviews and are 710 mm wide ... close enough i reckon.
    DH bar so it should be tough!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I had a serious ride-related carpal tunnel problem a few years back, only when using my XC bike. Changed from a flat bar to a longer riser bar and put a spacer under it, and slightly altered the position of the shifters and brake levers, problem went away completely.

The problem comes not only from weight resting on your hands, but from weight resting on a particular part of the hand. I'd suggest trying slight modifications in your cockpit until you find a position that keeps the weight in a spot that doesn't hurt.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/Han...84_123crx.aspx

These have excellent reviews and are 710 mm wide ... close enough i reckon.
    DH bar so it should be tough!
    They look awesome man, but I cant swallow the $129-$140 price tag .. I was thinking sub $50... like the ones you originally showed me, Tennacious-D, that sold for $15-$45..

I cant seem to sort the handlebar reviews on mtbr by size, and I just keep clicking through the bars with the best reviewed ratings, and most of them dont even show the width!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast