mtbr member
    Oct 2007

A pain in the rear. Is it normal?

I just bought my first bike in 15+ years. A 2009 Kona Hoss stock exept for a 203mm front rotor for stopping and maxxis holy roller 2.40 tires for the more urban commute before getting in more shape for offroad fun.

The question I have, is about the pinching pain I am getting on my inner thighs and rear under my sit bones. the saddle is a WTB Speed V Sport SE with a non tiltable Kona seatpost.

Is this pain normal? I am unable to go more then 1/2 a block without huge amounts of pain from pinching and weight. But the pain dissapears as soon as I get off and walk.

Any recomendations? I have leg muscle pain from lack of riding or.. well lack of doing anything for years. but thats a pain I understand. I used to ride from age 4 to age 19-20 and never had this problem, and my heaviest then was 240-260. Now I am 310-340 depending on day.

I looked back at other posts about seat pain and it was not all that clear to me. How will a pair of riding shorts help over a close fitting normal pair? Should I get another saddle? All the bikes I test rode before buying the Hoss gave the same results, and most had different saddles on them..

Any Advice would be most welcome.

local trails rider
    It is pretty normal to have some pain if you have not ridden for a long time. Usually it gets better. I suspect your weight does not make things any easier.

Adjusting the seat may make a difference, for better or worse. If you make adjustments, keep them small and keep track of what you do, so that you can go back to the original setting.

I think the main benefit of padded shorts is that they eliminate chafing. The tightness prevents getting them snagged on anything.

EDIT:
    I don't use biking shorts myself, but I mainly ride a singlespeed hardtail, on pretty bumpy trails, so I am out of the saddle a lot. I do pick clothing that does not have huge seams "down there".

I like pretty firm seats and my current relatively narrow seats seem to fit my sitbones well and reduce the area that could chafe me. I haven't got a clue what seat is ideal for you.

... can a soft seat bunch up so that it actually pinches you? ...
    Last edited by perttime; 03-24-2009 at 10:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If its truly a "pinch" you're feeling and not just some general soreness on your contact points then I'm not entirely sure what it might be. When you say pinch I think of that sharp "skin caught between two objects" type of pain.

Im a big guy like you and I've experienced some of that "pinching" on older road bike saddles where a little extra skin got caught under the saddle between the saddle's shell and the rail...but that wasn't anything persistent... (though Im still mind-boggled as to how I actually managed that).

As Pert said there are a couple factors that could cause you some pain in the saddle. Your weight is one. All of that mass is resting on a few very localized points when you sit on a bike saddle. You're saying this happened on every bike you tried so Im guessing this is the case.

1.) Weight.
    2.) New Saddle - All new saddles have a brake in period where they will gradually grow more supple and conform to their rider. While this may be moderately uncomfortable for someone who rides often but is swapping out saddles...it can be down right miserable for someone who hasnt been on a bike saddle in years.
    3.) Position - Saddle position can be a big factor as well. Its not so cut and dried as keep it level to the ground. If the nose is too far up you can put pressure on nerves that shouldn't be compressed. If its too far down you will be sliding forward on the saddle when you ride which changes where you're putting pressure.

Now...rather then throwing some advice out there that I'll be chastised for, I'm turning this thread over to the experts. I know I would just ride the saddle for a week or two until i was sure if I was the problem or if the saddle was, while making a few adjustments here and there til i found the sweetspot. But that might be poor advice... I don't really know much about the physical implications of riding a saddle that isn't right. It may be potentially damaging to you.

My gut feeling is that what you are experienceing is a combination of your weight and being unused to the saddle. But in the words of the immortal Levar Burton. "Dont take my word for it."

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I would think the "pinching" would be your thighs rubbing against the saddle or each other, and making some sort of chaffing action. I used to get somewhat of a pinch where I chaff around hair follicle pores, but it was very rare. Since I upgraded to biking shorts, I've had no such issues. If you get shorts with some nice padding, it'll help with saddle soreness, too. Biking shorts with a thin chamois just ends up being chaffing protection for big guys like us....

And don't mind the look. It'll grow on you. Here's me at the Pasadena Bike Tour last Sunday. I wore shorts over 'em so I could grab a whole bunch of free power bars and stuff them into my pocket.

Btw, the shorts are XXL voler campione bib-shorts. I am 5'9 250lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fat guy on a bike
    You need to wear a pair of lycra under your clothes or some biking shorts with a chamois built in. It also needs to fit well. Regular underwear is going to bunch up and move around and offer you lots of problems. A good snug fitting biking short with chamois is going to protect you by giving a surface to your skin that is not going to bunch up and also offer some padding.

You may not fit your saddle very well also. Depending on your body you might need something else.

BIG and Bald

Feel my pain...

I know EXACTLY what you are refering too. I thought I was the only one in the world that was dealing with this. hehe

I believe it has to do with our size. Guys like us have extra meat and potatoes down in that area and it tends to rub/pinch. A good pair of riding shorts, baggy or the typical spandex, will help quite a bit. Just make sure you pull them snug around your nether regions. When I start out riding I find that I have to "adjust" myself for the first few minutes of the ride then I find a nice settling place.

If you don't have any riding shorts and need some in the big variety, check out www.aerotechdesigns.com . They truly carry Big and Tall cycling gear. Don't be affraid to drop a little extra money on a good pair of padded shorts. If you're going to spend $1000 on a bike, you might as well spend the extra money for good shorts so you can enjoy it.

Another thing you might want to check into are the saddles that have more of a rounded edge...like this one. http://bontrager.com/model/06375/en OR the Specialized BG2 Sport saddle.

Currently I am riding a Specialized Rival and it's not too bad. The Bontrager in the link above is the saddle that came on a commuter mtb I bought a few years ago and it was quite comfortable. Wish I had kept it.

Good luck!!!
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the suggestions I will ride for a couple weeks with a pair of riding shorts to see what happens. Nothing ruins a ride more then pain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would argue that pterodactyls ruin a ride more...but then again...that probably falls under pain.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringpanda
    I would think the "pinching" would be your thighs rubbing against the saddle or each other, and making some sort of chaffing action. I used to get somewhat of a pinch where I chaff around hair follicle pores, but it was very rare. Since I upgraded to biking shorts, I've had no such issues. If you get shorts with some nice padding, it'll help with saddle soreness, too. Biking shorts with a thin chamois just ends up being chaffing protection for big guys like us....

And don't mind the look. It'll grow on you. Here's me at the Pasadena Bike Tour last Sunday. I wore shorts over 'em so I could grab a whole bunch of free power bars and stuff them into my pocket.

Btw, the shorts are XXL voler campione bib-shorts. I am 5'9 250lbs.
    That is a hilarious picture! Are you posing for a biking catalog?

To the OP, the only thing I would add is that there is a correlation between the price you pay for shorts and their ability to make the pain go away, especially after a long time in the saddle. Don't cheap out and get the $20 shorts since they are going to be just as uncomfortable as the shorts you are wearing now sans chamois. The best deal going is on the Hoss shorts. The only problem is that their sizing is weird and you would need to try them on in a store -- no ordering online. The other alternative that I have recently discovered are bib shorts. They look all wrong, but they feel so right. They've become my favorites, but they were very pricey.

rebmem rbtm
    I had the same issue, i weigh about 320 and found that nothing i did really helped until i bought the shadow conspiracy crow seat. I know its a bmx seat but its built like a tank and has enough padding to keep me happy. I've never ridden with legitimate biking clothing so i cant say anything about their comfort, but many people (as this thread shows) seem to be gettin some really good results.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I noticed the pain started going away after my 3rd and 4th rides. I still ended up getting a pair of padded shorts to wear under my regular shorts. And they definately do make a big difference. I highly recommend them.

local trails rider
    I just noticed something yesterday:

I was riding home from work and felt a pinching feeling in the seat area. Same bike and same kind of jeans I usually wear.

The only cause that I could think of was that the weather has been making my skin, overall, dry and irritable in the recent days. I've been putting some moisturizing lotion in the dry spots (I have one down there too) but apparently it was not enough. Riding to work today felt OK again.