Thread: P90x

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

P90x

Anyone tried it?

Pros/Cons?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've heard nothing but good about that system. The only downside is the cost and the time you have to dedicate to it. I'm thinking about doing it this winter.

mtbr member
    I have heard if your out of shape then it is good but if your in reasonable shape it is not so good. I was recommended crossfit.com. Free and is supposed to be really good but i have not tried it yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    One of my buddies started that and he was already in relatively good shape. He said that when you start there is a fit test they recommend and he barely passed. He said it is an awesome system, but it does take a lot of time. I think it was 1-2 hours a day 7 days a week.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You are supposed to go to failure on nearly every exercise. It is what you make it.

Make sure you have a place to do pull-ups. Get some bands if you need to at first. It is a rounded program. I got mine second hand. You may want to try that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Reccomend a big boy pull up bar?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I don't have one. I have a low ceiling to deal with. Still trying to figure out what I want to do. For now I have been doing bent over rows as a substitute. There are many options though. I would like to have a stand alone but.......?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So would I. Though, it would have to be able to adjust in height, as my wife (who is 5'3, 110 lbs) is going to be doing this with me.

I don't trust the doorframe ones, I'll bring my house down.

mtbr member
    It's a workout that puts a premium on hard work that includes a mealplan. I have seen plenty of great results for those that actually stick to it.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey Guys, I tried it. It was real tough. I didn't have a pull up bar so used the bands instead. I only lasted for 8 weeks before I hurt my back whilst travelling, but i did lose about 14kgs, which is about 30 pounds according to google. The wife did it as well and she lost about 10kgs all up (she lasted a few weeks more than I). Not only did we lose weight, we started to get quite defined which was nice too.

As soon as my back is right i am going to get back to it. Have a look at the forums and see what goes on.

Cheers,

Boombah

mtbr member
    I've done 90 days of P90X and I liked it. There's a meal plan that you should follow if you want the best results. If you don't have a chin up bar or bands then do some sort of back exercise with weights.
    If you like P90X there's also P90X Plus and One On One workouts with Tony Horton. There's enough variety that you shouldn't get bored for awhile and when you do you can mix and match workouts or try Crossfit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    How do you guys mix biking into your P90X routine? Do 15-20 miles of trails replace one days' workout? Or do you do it as a supplement to the workout? I cant imagine doing the plyometrics workout in the morning then going out and riding for 3 hours.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've never done P90X. Like most exercise and nutrition programs, I'm sure it works if you stick to it. I, however, have made the mistake of ordering several tv based workout programs in the past along with equipment like the ab roller. I never consistently have done them.

Lately, I've decided that I need to just keep it simple. I like to ride, so I'll ride a lot. My diet was bad. I've changed that. I'm focusing on those two things to drop weight. Once I have some established habits, then I'll work on some more muscle building upper body exercises.

I just wasn't going to workout in my living room. I have a hard time even riding my stationary bike in the living room. There are multiple ways to lose weight and get in shape, I guess we all have to find what works for us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zerkmxl
    How do you guys mix biking into your P90X routine? Do 15-20 miles of trails replace one days' workout? Or do you do it as a supplement to the workout? I cant imagine doing the plyometrics workout in the morning then going out and riding for 3 hours.
    I did P90X from March to the end of May and after that I threw in workouts when ever I was bored or the weather was bad. Now I'm riding/running hard 3-4 times a week and I do the dvd workouts on the days I don't ride or run. I'm mostly doing yoga, core work, ab ripper and kenpo. In September I'll do another 90 days of the plan.That will get me to December which I'll take off to rest and recover and then start round 3 Jan-Mar of 2010.
    You probably won't be able to do plyo and a hard bike ride on the same day but you could bike in the morning and then do yoga or kenpo at night.
    I would recommend doing one round of the P90X program alone with no additional workouts. Once you do the full 90 days you'll be in better shape, have more energy and you can decide how to mix your workouts for the best results.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think I'm going to start p90x when school starts back up (3 weeks form now). I'm in ok shape form hard riding 3-4 times a week and rock climbing on my days off the bike. I'm planing on cutting the kenpo and cardio and subbing in bike rides. How do ya'll that have done p90x before think that will work out?

mtbr member
    I think it'll work great. Kenpo, cardio and X Stretch are the easiest workouts. You should do them at least once to try them but yes, substituting them for a ride will work.

mtbr member

sounds good

I think its funny I was just thinking about buying this program and here is a thread about it. I want to get my fitness level back up and like the core values of this program. I would like it to eventually gear me up for some of the more difficult crossfit routines.
    Live Large

mtbr member
    Good program. Lost 20 lbs and got into great cardio shape. Downside is the time.Six days a week at 90 min plus per workout. Hard if you have a busy work schedule. Also, the host Tony Horton will get on your last nerve. I eventually did the workouts on mute with my own music so did not have to listen to that idiot.

mtbr member
    Tony is kinda goofy but I like him. If you see any of his other videos he makes fun of himself a lot. Most of the workouts are an hour. I think only yoga is 90 minutes long.
    I supposed if you're including the ab workout then yes, the workouts are around 90 minutes long. I would do the dvd workout in the morning, go to work and then do Ab Ripper before I went to bed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtymerider
    I think its funny I was just thinking about buying this program and here is a thread about it. I want to get my fitness level back up and like the core values of this program. I would like it to eventually gear me up for some of the more difficult crossfit routines.
    I'm not sure what I think about Crossfit. They make fun of endurance athletes a lot, they say it's a waste of time to run or bike long distances. They only do 5k runs and rowing machine workouts. I'm sure it's as hard as hell but I guess it depends on what your goals are. You're going to need a lot of gear to do Crossfit too. A nice rowing machine is expensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Came across this thread a little late in the game. P90X is great. Yes Tony can be a bit goofy, but all in all it's entertaining and quite varied in the routines. I have done the program several times, though not to completion and slightly modified each time.

What I did often is that I used some cardio or kenpo days for biking. It's great in that it emphasizes overall fitness, and it adds things like yoga into the equation which does wonders for flexibility and focus.

I am now embarking on crossfit though. Ironically enough, P90x is a home based workout, but for my lifestyle now, I really need to get away from home (new baby and all that goes with it) to get a full workout.

I've looked around, and Crossfit seems to fit the bill on many levels. In learning about it, I have a few observations. For one, it is "free", and you can do the Workout of the Day (WOD) off of www.crossfit.com. However, this is where a lot of criticism stems from, and quite frankly where one can get in trouble. In theory, a lot of it can be done at home, or a regular gym, but some of it may be risky.

Some of the lifts in Crossfit require absolute perfect form, and going about it alone this may not happen. If someone embarks on Crossfit, I highly recommend going to a Crossfit gym in your area, at least to get you started. At mine, they require you to go through a basic movements class before you even start, covering 9 of the key lifts in Crossfit. They will not move on until you have the form down with very little weight. This is how it should be approached.

Also, a big criticism is that the workouts are constantly varied (Crossfit's spin) or haphazardly arranged, depending on how you look at it. It is true that the program isn't sport specific, and not designed to train you up to a certain point or peak at this point, etc. But what it is is to get people to a level of overall general fitness that is hard to match. But the workouts are not haphazard or random as they would seem. If one day you do heavy lifting, generally the next day you won't. There is somewhat of a cycle to the workouts. But again, that is where a Crossfit gym can help, to speak to you about your goals and scale the workouts to your level.

In looking at it , it's obvious that you won't be an endurance athlete from Crossfiting, nor a power lifter or bodybuilder. But you can potentially have a base level of fitness that you can adjust to your goals to fine tune things if, for example, you want to concentrate on an endurance event. And that I think is the point -- overall fitness and athleticism. As for them bashing on endurance athletes, I think their point is that running long distances for example is futile for overall athleticism, as is bodybuilding or any one singular task. Variation is their goal, whether it's yours is up to you.

My take is that it's easier to go any one direction having a base of fitness, strength, and power than not. If I want to race my bike or do an epic, I'll train for it. But if I have an overall base of conditioning to start my tailored program with, it should give you a pretty good start. So maybe for many Crossfit or P90X can be a good periodization program.

It should help with your bike handling strength if anything, which is probably why Jeff Lenosky Crossfits.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm also considering giving this a try, however like hdo_1975 says, I was afraid I'd buy it then never use it. I got an "evaluational" copy online and I'm going to give it a few week and then buy it if I like it.
    "If that's your big problem of the day.....you have a great life. Enjoy it and ride your bike." ~The Mayor

young grasshopper
    what I am thinking, is that its not an actual workout, its just to get you in shape?
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

mtbr member
    P90X isn't a sport it's a fitness program. It's a series of workouts and a nutritional guide.

mtbr member
    Is there a little easier workout than P90x for starting out i.e., fatties???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast