Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Osprey pack

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  johnD 
#1 ·
Do they make one to fit a clyde ? If so, which model are you using ? I'm gonna go looking for one this week.. Is the raptor 14 decent ?

#4 ·
I have an old design - a Camelbak HOSS that is now discontinued. I ride with a chest strap but no waist strap and I've never had an issue with it moving too far, so don't be afraid to not use a waist strap.
The current Camelbaks seem to have longer backs on the bigger bags - like the HAWG NV - it has a 19" back. I'd be tempted to look at a bag like that and try for size. I always ride with a lot of water and the bags cinch down well so don't be afraid of a larger volume bag.

#5 ·
I looked at that new hawg nv , nice pack , the waist strap didn't quiet fit.
I'm 5'11 260 lb 42" waist. But , yeah everything else I liked about it. Supposedly the raptor 10 and 14 have a 19" back also. No shops around me have a raptor 10 or 14 to try on , so I may order blind.

#6 ·
I'm 6'2" 280 pounds, powerlifter build, and I found that the Raptor 14 fit me good enough. I could hook the chest strap and waist belt and I'm certain it would be comfortable to wear loaded. I currently use a Hydrapak Big Sur. Of course it (both packs) looked small on my back but it's takes a much larger pack to not do that. I haven't price shopped for the Raptor but if you order from REI it's easy to return if you don't like it. I may order one myself.

#9 ·
#11 ·
The Stratos 24 is a hiking backpack rather than a riding backpack. This means it's design is for the hip belt to tale most of the weight. The belt will also make it a little uncomfortable for riding because it's in the wrong place for the wrong thing.

Have a look at Wingnut for something different that might be made to fit better.

#12 ·
The Manta series are made for cycling and are pretty nice. They make a 20L size which is a really good size but it misses out on some of the cool features of the Raptor.

The Wingnut packs are cool. Seems like they or someone else makes hiking packs that are similar that I was looking at a while back when I was shopping for a day pack.

#13 ·
I'd highly recommend the raptor, that sucker is brilliant, comfy and lightweight, holds a heck of a lot of water and is not to bad on the storage in the bag, holds everything I need and a sweater/jacket if needed.

For reference, I'm about 250lbs with a 50-52" chest and 38" waist, former powerlifter and rugby player.

Steve

#15 ·
I'm 6'0", 270lbs with a 31" inseam, so longish torso. I just got a raptor 14 and it fits me very well. I found it very comfortable on my bike, and decent for the one day hike I took it along on. I've got no complaints about the design, and love the magnetic bite valve holder.

Before I got it,I tried a Camelbak MULE, and it was way too short.

#16 ·
+1 Wingnut Hyper 3.0.

I'm 6'3" 210lbs, the pack is great. lots of space for tools/food/spares. plus i really like being able to access multiple pockets without having to stop, get off the bike, remove the pack and then re-assemle everything.

it's much better quality than the Osprey pack i had. that thing started falling apart two months after i bought it. the bungees, the straps, everything just quickly wore out. other than the bite valve, which was good, i did not like that pack.

#17 · (Edited)
+5! Raptor 14. With one other poster, wish it had just a bit more volume. There are many great features about the Osprey line but the biggest plus for me is the shoulder straps do not roll in on their selves. On long rides the other brands would do this and start chafing. All the other features are pluses to me.

Thax,
John

#19 ·
I'm still looking at these things lol.

emailed osprey , they said the Viper 13 is also a large pack. hip belt fits up to 50"...of coarse if you are good with a thread and needle you can make any pack fit.

#20 ·
The osprey syncro 20 hip belt doesnt reach , but I just tied it to the bag , what I love about the bag is 20l is storage , amazing air suspension (ventilation) and final but not least .... A bag that doesn't look tiny on a big dude .... I can't stress enough how comfy the syncro is and they come in a large version

#22 ·
Well , I got my first long ride in with the viper 13 this weekend...love everything about it. It holds plenty of gear , food and water for a all day excursion. The weight really does feel light on my back/shoulders , if I wanted to carry less weight I'd just fill up my water bottles and put less water in the pack. I went back to the lbs and looked at the camelbak mule , imo the only thing those packs have over the osprey is the ventilation on the back. But, the osprey ventilation is not that bad... Everything else is superior on the osprey imho.

#23 ·
I have a MULE from a few years ago, when I filled the bladder to when it's bulging the bag conformed to the bulge and never sat well on my back.

With the Raptor 14, the bladder is stiffer on one side so it never deforms. Fits my back really well and doesn't move around. I'm 6'4" 220lbs.

#24 ·
I have the mule ... The osprey syncro 20 both has more volume /storage 20l vs 13l , better ventilation and air suspension ... You guys seriously need to stop ignoring this pack ..... I religiously evulated all the packs over a period of 6 months both online and at the store ... Everyone seems to ingore the syncro.. but it is the best pack for all except DH riders

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.