mtbr member

Ordering a Preston FR which fork should I choose?

I'm going to order a Preston FR with a DHX 5.0 Coil, the X9 upgrade, Formula K24 brakes and 36 spoke wheels which should handle my 320 lbs girth.

I'm looking at the following options:

Rock Shox Pike 426 U-Turn Coil 95-140mm ($2,459)
    Rock Shox Domain 318 U-Turn 115-160mm ($2,472)
    Fox 36 Van R ($2,712)
    Fox 36 Talas R ($2,792)
    Marzocchi Z1 Sport ($2,326)
    Marzocchi Z1 RC2 ETA ($2,567)

I was leaning towards either one of the Marzocchi forks, is the RC2 ETA worth it for the extra 230 bucks or do you guys think one of the other options is better?

mtbr member
    Never mind, no local dealers and they don't ship complete bikes. Arghh.... and I thought my quest for a new bike was done.

mtbr member
    Bmb, that sucks! I'm a girl clyde and I love my 2007 Preston!! Is there really no place that will ship a complete, i.e. Adrenaline bikes? Did you ask the Transition guys for suggestions? Or what about just building one up (or having your local shop build one up) to your liking? That would allow you to custom tailor it to your weight and preferences... or maybe buy used from Pinkbike or ebay?? (Can you tell I think you should get a Preston? )
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah I was thinking of the preston aswell. Did you try Ride This they deal with transition or like she said call Transition yourself I have when I was getting there wheelset and they were pretty cool. As far as forks I would go with the Pike I did put it on my 07 FSR XC for now and transfer it to my preston when I get that. I went for the Pike 454 Coil Utrun 95-140 it weighs a little less than the 426 and I got it for a pretty good price from Ride This $450 so call those guys they are pretty cool. Let me know what happens

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

P I K E

I think a Pike would be a perfect match for the Preston. I'm 240# geared up and run a Pike 454 Air U-Turn on my Heckler. I'd say the Heckler and Preston are comparable for suspension travel and purpose. The Pike is super adjustable, light, stiff, plush, has Maxle and has been 100% trouble free over the last 11 months or riding this bike at least a couple of times a week. The Domain would also be good. They have gotten very good reviews and weight is the only real drawback that I can see. I rode one last week and it felt really solid and smooth. You will need extra heavy springs if you go with coil. If you go air then check the maximum air volume will cover your weight. I'd probably go coil for the reliability. I had a Fox 36 Vanilla R for a while and it is plush and stiff but I found the fork dived a lot and was never able to get it adjusted to stop that problem. You really notice it on steep downhills if they're rocky or rutted trails.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Get something beefier than a Pike if you want to stick with RS, like a Lyrik. Or get a Fox 36, whatever. I don't see the point in getting a beefy FR frame and putting a not so beefy fork on it. Not saying the Pike isn't beefy, but it's beef may not match the frame's.

mtbr member
    Hey whats up guys.. I deal with transition a bit and the Pike is pretty beefy they offer them on the Prestons for a reason I have had one for a while now all good and beat the Sh*t out of my ride.. But yeah The Lyrik is kick ass or the Domain.. The new Marchozzi 55 ATA would be real nice aswell when it comes out.. If you need a fork let me know I can get you a deal..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fork deals???

Hey El Gordo! Any idea what kind of deals will be available on the new Marzocchi 55's? I have seen any pricing on these yet but from what I've read they seem like they are going to be awesome forks.

mtbr member
    Yeah they are gonna rock.. Pricing not yet i figure probably $700 range Just like the Z1 when it first came out this is pretty much replacing it.