mtbr member

Opinions on Specialized Pitch Pro?

Any of you big guys riding a Pitch Pro? A lbs has a 2009 XL test bike for sale for $1600. It looks like its in really good shape, no visible marks or damage. I have not had a chance to ride it yet though. I did try a 2010 Specialized FRS XC a couple of years ago and found it to be really comfortable with the rear suspension soaking up the jarring bumps that hurt my back.

I'm currently riding a Gary Fisher hard tail and I find it a little hard on my back. The Pitch may be a little more bike that I need at the moment but there certainly are trails in my area that could give it a full workout. Plus the price fits my budget. I see it as a solid platform that I can grow with and upgrade over time. For the record, I'm 6'6" around 300lbs (and dropping) but I hope to get back down to 230lbs this year.

Any thoughts?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    At 6'6", (I am around 6'5") I would suggest you at least look at something with 29" wheels and a little more efficient suspension in that as you noted, 6" of travel can be a little less fun to lug up a hill if you're not using it to it's potential on the way down.

Since I went with the bigger hoops 2.5 years ago, I have ridden my Giant Reign exactly twice. For whatever reason, I am at least as comfortable in the tech stuff that I encounter on the Anthem X 29er as I ever was on the Reign.

That said, the Pitch should be solid enough if that is the bike you decide you like.