mtbr member

Opinions on a new Ride

Hi all, i need some advise on these 2bikes

1 - SC Blur LT
    2 - Transition Covert

Iam around 6f and weigh around 265 with an inseam of 31in hence iam looking at a Large right?..neway will the rear shock sustained my weight..(not doing crazy jumps)or should i upgrade to a coil type of suspension...iam clueless about sag and stuff(should i look into a hardtail) finally of the 2 which one would you guys choose...

Thanks

I Strava Hamburgers
    I'm just going to fire this here and its my own opinion.

After trying out a Blur, I found that *6'3, 250lb* that the Blur felt very strange to ride. Like I was sitting strangely in the seat a bit and almost felt OVER the front tire. If you're keen on SC for a bike, try a Nomad. I find for a bigger rider it gave me a bit more confidence when in the cockpit. Otherwise give Giant's Trance series a try. Same idea, better price point, same result in stability.

I haven't had any experience with the Covert.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input man...looking at Giant now...hmmm should i go for the 29er version...choices choices...

Oh Yeah Baby
    Quote Originally Posted by lazymuf
    hmmm should i go for the 29er version
    Absolutely !!!!!!
    Misfit Psycles diSSent

I Strava Hamburgers
    I ride a 29". They're great for big guys. Its a matter of preference, some riders like 9ers, some like 6ers. This can of worms should stay sealed
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    yeah..now my head is filled with 29er goodness...was looking for an all mountain 29er...was reading up on the Trance and stumbled across a RIP 9 from Niner and it got me excited hahaha....might be pulling the trigger on the RIP but what travel to choose from...should i get a 120mm or a tad longer..neway thanks guys

I Strava Hamburgers
    If you have the budget a RIP 9 will tackle pretty much everything you throw at it.

On the otherhand
    (not doing crazy jumps)

I'd buy an intro bike, lose the weight, then as a reward, hit yourself up with a nice machine like a RIP 9.

As you drop weight, your preferences for biking will change. I thought I'd be all over a RIP9 style bike once I dropped down in weight, as going down hills would be excellent fun.

Turns out, I now ride a fully rigid single speed. The antithesis of a full susser full geary bike... and I love every ride more and more.... Reason: I find going UP hills so much more fun now then ever.

Buy a intro bike, drop weight, then sell and buy a bike you really enjoy riding
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Thanks 14Stone, my original plan to get a bike is to lose them pounds and hahaha to get a rip9 now is like an overkill...for start iam staying in this small island called Singapore and the choices for an intro 29er bike is kinda limited not mentioning components...most LBS is selling the 26er which looks funny when i ride on em. In the end bought a Roadie to cycle with my bro who is an avid roadie...after awhile i find that road bike is not my thing and prefers riding offroads...neway scouring the web now for some good deals for a HT 29er...something a bit burly for my size....glad if you guys can recommend me some....cheers

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey guys, Im new to the forum and hoping to get a bit of info. I am 6ft and #270. I bought a 2011 Specialized Hardrock Disk (the 26 wheel version). Is this thing going to hold up under me? I will mostly be riding flat trails with a little bit of hills and roots.

Thanks for any replies in advance.